- Text Size +

CHAPTER 31 - WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH THE TOUGH GET...STUPID


DEBS


“Tobias, is that you?!” I call out as I hear footsteps in the hallway.


“Yeah! Gonna shower and dinner should be ready.” He pokes his head in. “Shall I get the kids to set the table?”


“Please!” Nya, Abi and Mel say at the same time as me and Brian laughs.


“Justin? You doing okay?” Tobias frowns.


“Yeah, just a bit tired and hungry.”


“Okay, won’t be long. After you eat, go and lie down upstairs…”


“I said that and Debs said no!” Brian protests.


“To sleep, so he will still go alone!” Tobias laughs and Brian pouts.


“The tiredness is only for the first two months. After that it abates then everything else kicks in. And I mean everything!” Justin grins up at him and then slowly nods as realisation sweeps across Brian’s face.


“So how many months are you, sweetheart?” Mel asks.


“Speaking of sweethearts, where’s Jennifer today?” Abi asks, and we ladies, except Lindsay and Abi smile. “What are you grinning for?”


“She’s got a date.” Justin sits up and rests against Brian’s side.


“Already? That’s hardly an appropriate mourning period, is it? Your father only just passed away, didn’t he?” Michael snipes.


“My father passed away over four months ago. It just took us a while to have his funeral and to sort out his estate, not that it's any of your concern. And don’t go casting aspersions on my mother’s character again, Michael!”


“And this is where you should apologise, or do apologies only come your way?” Nya demands.


“I didn’t get an apology from you.” He snipes.


“You are not owed one. Justin is!” Brian snaps. “Say it or leave!”


He wars with himself, but finally mutters something. Justin doesn’t acknowledge it, much to his annoyance.


“So, back to my original question, how many months?”


“Coming up to the end of two and…”


“Isn’t it bad luck to announce before three months?” Michael looks around with that nasty half smirk he does sometimes. “Well, isn’t it?”


“Either stop being a bitch or go home.” Brian retorts. “...by cab, and wait outside the gates for it.”


The smirk is replaced a shocked expression, but he doesn’t say another word.


“You were saying, Justin...” Mel glares at Michael as he goes to open his mouth. “End of two months, so that...wait, it can’t have been at the BBQ.”


“Yeah...Sunshine got a little Sunbeam that night.”


“To say the very least!” Nya snickers.


“You did it raw the first time you fucked again?!” Michael gasps.


“No.” Brian is looking very smug and the room has got quiet.


“So if you didn’t do it raw, how is he pregnant then?”


“Seems I have grown a little since we last met.”


“Oh for heaven sake, Brian!” Mel chuckles. “TMI!”


“I was merely answering a question in my usual inimitable style.”


“I don’t understand. Did you do what Mel and Lindsay did, then?” Michael demands.


“No, you buffoon, the condom broke.” Nya huffs in annoyance. “His dick got bigger in Justin’s absence!”


“How in fuck’s name didn’t you get that?!” Earl exclaims. “That was stupid, even for you!”


“Because he’s not gotten that in a while...from anyone, not even in his imagination.” Justin intones, and casually inspects his nails as if he hasn’t just delivered an epic smackdown.


“I’ll have you know that my imagination works fine and I’ve come…”


“Stop talking.” Mel sighs. “Just stop. You are going to embarrass yourself in ways we will never let you forget…” She is interrupted by an enormous crash of crockery. “What the hell was that?! Are you guys okay in there?!” She shouts heading to where the noise came from.


DINING ROOM


JOSH


We all stare at the plates in dismay. “I hope for your sake, they weren’t expensive.” I say to Jenny, who is looking at Kendi in annoyance.


“I told her I wasn’t ready for them. She should’ve waited!”


“What happened?” Her Mom demands.


“Ke…”


“Jenny was sulking about having to help and didn’t take the plates when Kendi handed them to her.” Dr T, as I have taken to calling him, cuts her off and she glares. “Kendi told her loud and clear to take them, but she folded her arms instead.” She quickly unfolds them but it’s too late and nearly everyone rolls their eyes.


Her Momma just shakes her head. “Get a dustpan and brush then clean it up, Jenny, since, yet again, you caused the mess. The stuff is in the mud room, if I recall.”


“Yes, it is. I’ll get it.” Kendi calls out, and doesn’t take long.


“How many broke?” I ask.


“8 of them.” Kendi sighs then glowers at Jenny, who is taking her time to sweep up. “For god sake Jenny, get on with it! Dawdling is not going to get someone else to do it for you!”


After 30 excruciating minutes, it is finally cleaned up and we can eat. She goes and sits next to her Uncle Michael, who I didn’t like from the first moment I heard of his shenanigans. His actions since I met him have done nothing to change my mind. In fact, I dislike him even more. “You going to be okay, Josh?” Aunt Nya asks as I adjust my sling, and then look at the food.


“Yes, thank you. Just trying to work out which bit to go for first.”


“I love the buttermilk chicken.” Kemi sighs, and carefully inspects the platter before taking a couple of pieces and putting them on her plate.


“Oh, very ladylike, I’m sure.” Jenny bitches. “There is a serving fork, you know.”


“It’s best I don’t touch it whilst in your presence.” Kemi growls and I swallow down my laugh.


“So she can threaten Jenny and nobody says a word.” Her Uncle Michael says, looking angrily round the table.


“I didn’t threaten her. I said I…”


“I heard what you said, and I don’t like it when you talk to Jenny like that!”


“I don’t care what you or she likes.” Kemi retorts.


“You will not speak to me like that either!”


“Like what, Uncle Michael? That’s the problem with the pair of you. You treat the rest of us any way you please, but you don’t like reciprocation! Well that’s tough, because I believe in defending myself.” She sighs heavily. “May I be excused? I’ve lost my appetite.”


“You may. But take some up just in case it returns when you’ve calmed down a little. In fact, why don’t you all...except for you, Jenny...go up and eat? Make sure to bring the dishes back down when you’re done.”


“Yes, Aunt Nya.” We exchange worried looks as Kemi looks like she wants to cry, so Gus quickly takes her out.


I pause at the door and turn around. “May I say something please?”


“Sure.” Uncle Justin replies, frowning.


I look directly at Jenny. “You did it on purpose. Everything you do, you do on purpose. I don’t think you have ever done a nice thing in your life. Who brought you up to be that way?”


“I did.” Her Momma replies, looking embarrassed.


“Well, with all due respect, you should be ashamed of yourself.”


“I am. Believe me, I am.” She sighs. “Shall we go home, Mel?”


“Yes...actually no. Jenny, go and stand in the corner and not another word.”


“That’s definitely not fair! Kemi...” He starts in again.


“Will be dealt with when and how we see fit.” Uncle Justin interrupts. “Now let’s just eat.”


“Thank you, Josh. I don’t deserve the respect, but thank you for giving it.” She smiles.


I nod and head upstairs to join my friends.


MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - SUNDAY MORNING

 

 

MICHAEL


I am mad enough to spit! After we ate, I was unceremoniously removed from the house and I had to come home by cab. Mel and Lindsay refused to give me a lift, saying they wanted to stay and talk to Brian and Justin for a bit. And because he wanted me out of his house, I was turfed out.


I have checked my bank account, and while I have enough for the payment he wants, I have a plan to fix him and fix him good! I smile as I pick up my phone. “Good morning, my name is Michael Novotny. My case number is 58973H. It was an assault off Liberty Avenue. Of course, I will hold.” I hum the theme tune to Captain Astro as I wait to be put through to the appropriate officer. “Yes, hello, to whom am I speaking? Officer Norbert Sharpton." I raise my eyebrows and snicker quietly...who the hell calls their child Norbert?!  "Yes, do you have my file in front of you? Good. Yes I have remembered a bit more about the attack. Yes and think I know who it was...Mason Reed….”


57TH PRECINCT - AN HOUR LATER


INSIDE OF NORBERT SHARPTON’S CAR


“Reed, it’s me. I’m fine, although I'm slightly confused. Why is Michael Novotny claiming that your brother beat him up, when you and I both know what I did and he paid for? No, he didn’t recognise my voice; we didn’t speak that much. What is going on, Reed? Tell me right now?!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanksl