- Text Size +

CHAPTER 37 - THAT IS NOT OKAY...LET US SHOW YOU JUST HOW MUCH!


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - NEXT DAY


KITCHEN


JENNY


“Morning.” I say quietly as I come in. They both look awful! I was checked by a doctor at the police station and then taken home where Grandma stayed with me until they got back.


“Hey, how are you feeling?” Mom asks.


“Never mind me, how are you?!” I cry and take both their hands. “Can you please tell me what’s going on? Why were you so scared? Why did you hit Uncle Michael?” I look between the pair of them and Momma nods.


“Your Uncle Michael tried to do a couple of things that have gotten him into trouble, and we won’t be seeing him for…”


“Ever. We won’t be seeing him ever again!” Momma says vehemently.


“What did he try and do?” I have never heard her speak about Uncle Michael like that.


“He tried to fix it so that he was your father, biologically.”


“What?! How?”


“He paid someone in the clinic we used to swap the samples, and believed that’s what the guy did. He then used the document the guy produced to take you out of school without our permission.”


“No, no he wouldn’t do that! That’s just sick and despicable and sick! Did I mention sick?!”


“You did and he did. He admitted it.” Mom tells me with tears in her eyes.


“But why?” I can’t believe this.


“He wanted you and Gus to be related…”


“But we wouldn’t be related. Uncle Brian is Gus’s father.”


“But we’re family in every other aspect and he wanted to provide…”


“Brian to provide! He wanted Brian to provide for you. Drop in dad...drop in dad! Did you hear that from that immature, irresponsible, no account, repugnant, overgrown pisspot?!” Momma snarls and then takes a couple of breaths. “Sorry Mel, please continue.”


“So that’s as much as we know, but he was also being blackmailed by the man who provided him with the document. And he has been for the last five years.”


“Blackmailing him? This is absurd! This whole thing is absurd! It’s like the plot of a movie, a bad D-rated one. So that’s why you hit him, Momma?”


“Primarily, but also because he wanted to...shall I tell her that?” She asks Mom and she nods then holds my hand again. “Because he wanted to drug your Uncle Brian.”


“Drug him when?” I ask, weakly.


“Before Kemi was born. He and another guy conspired to drug him and...and have their way with him…”


“Have their...you mean they were going...going to...to rape him?”


“In theory, it would’ve been rape. GHB makes you very compliant. And in those days, he did a lot of drugs so would’ve been none the wiser. He would’ve simply put it down to a lost weekend. But Justin got there first and prevented it.”


I rush to the sink and bring up what little is in my stomach. Momma hands me a glass of water and I drink it quickly.


“Wait a second... why only five years? Why not since his stupid fucking idea came into that nasty cesspit that he has for a mind?” I growl.


“I spoke to Nya about that earlier this morning. Seems that the guy who was blackmailing him came back to town after a stint in jail, 5 years ago to be precise. He had no money, but a very good memory. He overheard Michael bitching about us coming back. Oh yes, he was delighted by that development, and he’s been tapping him ever since.”


“Thank god for Uncle Justin.” I whisper. “Oh God! I am a horrible really horrible person! Me, my meanness... it’s all on me because I copied the way he behaved!” They look at each other and then nod. It hurts, but then the truth generally does. “Oh my god! Do they know what happened?”


“The kids? Not yet, but they are telling them later. Brian needs to wrap his head around it first.”


“Christ, this man is supposed to be his best friend?! Who else knows?”


“Aunt Nya, her folks, Uncle Justin, Uncle Ted, Uncle Blake, Uncle Emmett, Grandma and Aunt Jennifer.” Momma tells me.  


“Christ, what a mess! Right, let me go up and shower and then we can head…”


“Head? Head where?” Mom frowns.


“The preparatory school. I made a promise and after hearing that, I am determined to change!”


BRITIN


MASTER BEDROOM


BRIAN


“Ted. Ted. I am not Blake.” I say. “Kindly remove your hand from my crotch!” He wakes up very quickly and looks around bewildered. “Want coffee?” I point at the end of the bed where Emmy is pouring some of the tea for Justin.


“Sorry Bri, yeah, coffee definitely. One minute.” He stumbles to the bathroom and then joins Blake on the chaise. Nya and Tobias are making breakfast. The kids have been in, but took one look at everyone and headed down to help.


“I still can’t get my head around it.” Justin snuggles into my side and hands me the mug. “I just don’t get it. What on earth was he thinking?”


“Only about himself, as usual!” Emmy snaps and then holds up his hand in apology.


“It’s okay, Emmy. Still can’t believe Lindsay knocked his ass out. Mel, I may have expected but not Lindsay!” Justin chuckles for the first time since it all came out.


“Nya didn’t even have to move from her spot.” I tell him, finishing off the tea and waving the mug at Emmy.


“Grounding.” He replies as Emmy hands him the mug first and I frown at Justin. “If she stays where she is when she’s mad, she stays mad there. If she moves then she’s coming for you.” Justin explains but I can feel him tense up. “Is that everything? There’s nothing more?”


“There is one other thing. You know when Michael got mugged?” Ted looks a combination of disgusted, but pleased.


“Yes.”


“Well, he wasn’t. He paid someone to beat him up.”


“What on earth for? I am sure there are people on the Avenue that would’ve done that for free!” Justin retorts.


“...and he was going to blame Justin for it.” Ted finishes.


“He was going to what?!” I gasp and Justin scrambles between my legs. I’m not sure whether it’s to stop me from leaping out of bed and going to find my so called friend or to stop himself. “Why the fuck...because he boxes? Is that why?” Ted nods. “Is that it now?”


“Unless Nya has something she’s not told us, then that’s it.”


“That’s the only thing I hadn’t told you.” Nya says as she comes through the door. “Breakfast in ten minutes. Although it was a shame about Hubert.”


“What about, wait who’s Hubert?” I frown.


“The guy that was supposed to beat him up. He broke his hand, ergo could not.”


“Hubert! As in welterweight and kickboxer Hubert?!” Justin exclaims. “He would’ve killed him!”


“Nah, just taken him to the edge…”


“So let’s go and do this.” I sigh and reluctantly, Justin gets out of bed.


LOUNGE - AN HOUR LATER


GUS


I have spoken to Mom and both she and Momma are coming here after they drop Jenny back off at school. Grandma and Grandmom Jennifer have gone back to get a change of clothing and then are coming back again. We’re just...disgusted and shocked! Kemi keeps thinking of who could’ve been her father and hasn’t stopped raging. She was so angry that Aunt Nya had to take her down to spar. Uncle Earl and Aunt Abi are also on their way up.


“So what happens now?” I ask Dad, who has his head in Justin’s lap.  He’s running his fingers through Dad’s hair and I think that’s the only thing keeping him from falling apart.


“We’re waiting to hear from the police. They have formally charged him and he has to appear in court. They need to set bail and the like.”


“They won’t let him out, will they?” Kendi looks fearful.


“If he can pay the bail, yes, but he can then be released on his own recognizance…” Dad starts.


“Absolutely fucking not! There is no way they would allow that to happen, would they?” I growl.


“What does that mean his own…”


“He gives his word to appear in court on the trial date.” I explain.


“I wouldn’t wipe my ass with his word!” Kendi spits.


“I’ve just realised something. I most probably gave him the money to pay the blackmailer...sorry I mean almost rapist.” Dad’s face crumples and he buries his head in Justin’s lap.


“Guys.” Justin says quietly, his voice thick, and we leave, closing the door on their sobbing.


As we stand outside waiting to go back in and feeling helpless, my phone beeps. It’s Hunter. Grandmom Jen has just caught him up and he is fucking furious. “Give me the phone, Gus.” Kendi orders in a voice I have never heard before and I hand it to her. She walks away for a bit before ending the call and giving me back my phone. “Go and look after our dads. If they ask, tell them I went upstairs.”


“No. Whatever it is you are going to do, the answer is no.” Aunt Nya takes that moment, thankfully, to come back in with Kemi.


“But…”


“No, Kendi. Tobias!” She shouts and he is out immediately. “Keep all of them here. I’ll be back as soon as I can.”


“Where are you going?” Uncle Ted demands.


“The diner.” She replies, pulling on her jacket but not looking at him.


“What for?”


“Need to speak to Kiki…”


“I would really rather you called her.” Uncle Tobias says quietly. “Please Nya, stay here.” There are a few tense seconds before she sighs and takes off her jacket. “Thank you.” He looks at the closed door and knocks gently. “It’s Tobias, can I come in please? I think you two are beginning to go into shock…” He opens the door and slips in, just as Grandmom Jen and Grandma come in.


“Great timing!” Uncle Ted smiles. “You three upstairs and help them unpack and sort the bedrooms out for Mel and Lindsay, okay?”


“Yes, Uncle Ted.” We mutter and troop upstairs behind them.


TED


“Want a lift?” I ask her and she nods grimly.


DINER - AN HOUR LATER


OFFICE


KIKI


“Let me make a call.” I tell Ted and Nya. “Then we will close and go. Deal?” They say nothing as I call one of my many contacts in the precinct and nod as he tells me exactly what is happening. “Right, he’s awake and in the courthouse. Courtroom 4. Poor Debs, and poor Mel. It was bad enough that he said that, but to try and do what he did? Just boggling! Right, let’s go.”


As we head out, the diner is silent. “What do Kinney and Debs need?” A Leather Queen asks.


“Privacy.” Ted replies.


“Think he will make bail?” He demands.


“Even if he does, he will have nowhere to come back to. Nobody will want him anywhere near them!” A Bear calls out.


“Let’s find out what the court decides and we will let you know, okay? Right now, everyone needs to leave.”


They file out mostly in silence, but some ask us to give their best and love to The Stud and his Mom.


COURTROOM 4 - AN HOUR LATER


NYA


They have finally called him in and he is looking battered and tired, but he smiles at us when he sees us.


“Who the fuck is he smiling at?” Kiki hisses and turns around finding nobody behind us. She glares back at him and his face settles into his usual countenance.


“Why was he here so long?” I ask.


“Needed to find an attorney from out of the city. Nobody would touch him.”


I whistle. “For real?”


“Oh yeah. The Stud has a heck load of pull and a lot of friends.”


The door opens and his face falls and he rubs his cheek.


“Ah Ms Marcus, are you representing this gentleman?”


“No, Judge Hendricks. I am one of the complainants. I wish to hand this to his attorney; he will need it.”


“He will also need to find an attorney apparently, as one doesn’t seem to be present.” Judge Hendricks intones. “May I see that?”


“Yes, your honour.” She hands him the paper and then steps back.


“You may take a seat. Not you, but her. You remain standing!”


“But…” The idiot tries to argue, only to be silenced immediately by Judge Hendricks.


“And quiet!”


Mel comes to sit down next to us. “You okay, doll?” I ask and she nods. “Lindsay’s at Britin, but I had to come to make sure he doesn’t make bail.”


“Jenny went back to school willingly, I understand?”


“Yeah, she did.”


“What?!” Michael exclaims. “Why the hell would she do that?!”


“I said silence!”


“Your honour, if I may answer that?” Mel stands and clutches her briefcase tightly though only we can see it. She turns to face him. “You have actually done something good. You’ve inspired her to change. She doesn’t want to be like you!”


“For fuck sake, stop being so melodramatic! You were going to have a baby anyway. What difference does it make who the father is?”


“It’s my body! My choice! You had no fucking right! None!”


“But we have a beautiful daughter together and…”


“No, we don’t! We don’t have anything because Jenny is not yours!”


“Yes, she is! I have a paper that…”


“You can use it to wipe your ass in jail with when you run out of toilet paper. She’s not yours, Michael. You are the one that got fucked!”


“She is! She must be! I paid that guy all that money to keep quiet about it!”


“No, we have triple checked. She is not yours, nor would she want to be if given the option. I believe she told you that herself the last time you were at Britin.” Mel smirks at the incredulous look on his face. “Hoisted by your own petard, how does it feel?”


“Hoisted by my what?”


“Fucked without lube and remain standing!” Judge Hendricks snaps. “Ah, I do believe your attorney is here. You for him?” The man nods. “And you are.”


“Jeremy Chamberlain, your honour.”


“So he wants bail.”


“And that would be set at, your honour?”


We hold our breath.


“In light of his numerous crimes, $250,000.”


“Can you pay that?”


“Not right away, no. But I can liquidate some assets and pay it by the end of the week. Ouch! Broken ribs, here! What did you do that for?!”


“You need to say your honour when addressing him.” Chamberlain retorts.


“Payable by tomorrow. No later. Take him to county.”


“But! But! I can ask my friend Brian to pay the money and then…”


“Brian as in Brian Kinney, the other victim of your schemes?” Chamberlain gapes at him. “I don’t think so! Who is going to call him for you for a start?”


“I am allowed a phone call and…”


“Take him to county now!” Judge Hendricks bellows and they drag a shouting Michael out. “Court is adjourned!”


“All rise!”


The court empties and it’s just us and Chamberlain.


“Hey Mel, stupid question. How are you and Lindsay doing?” Chamberlain asks, sitting next to her.


“We’re just…”


“Yeah. I can’t imagine how that creep could’ve....” He gives her a hug. “Right, got a fucking awful journey back home. Oh, if you are thinking of going down Liberty Avenue, don’t.”


“Why?” She asks, standing up to follow him out.


“Fire. A building went up. No injuries thank goodness, but the building is a total gut.”


“Ah crap! Any idea which end?” She sighs.


“The Diner end. It was a comic book store. Look, I gotta go.” He kisses her on the cheek and rushes out of the court.


We all look at each other. “Let me make a call.” Kiki says as we head out to the car. Twenty silent minutes later, she hangs up.


“Well?” I demand.


“Seems that his landlord had him evicted in his absence for breach of tenancy, due to inappropriate behaviour. Then had all his stuff sent to his store and the locks to the apartment changed.” Kiki begins to smile. “So everything he owned was in there. Shame, such a terrible shame. The police are looking into it, but it’s not a priority right now.”


Ted and I gape at her. “How did the landlord get into the store?” I ask.


“It wasn’t totally secured. Well after a little bit of jimmy-jamming, it wasn’t. But that’s all I know. I was told to tell them that the Avenue has spoken.” Kiki grins. “Spoken loud and clear!”

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing, thanks.