- Text Size +

CHAPTER 41 - SEEING THE GREEN


MEL


As I look across at Lindsay, I wonder what the fuck she is playing at?! Judging by the confused look on Brian’s face when Jenny mentioned the academy place, she lied to us about that! I am struggling not to explode.


“Come on Mel, help me with dinner.” Nya orders and I almost run to the kitchen in relief.


We don’t say anything for a few minutes as we check pans and the oven. But the door opening and closing quietly has us both turning to it.


“Mom, what’s going on with Momma?” Jenny asks. Nya jerks her head to the door. “No Aunt Nya, I want you to stay. You’re a good reader of people; you had me down pat. So what’s going on?”


I sigh and sit down. “To be honest, I don’t know. She’s been off since the statement was read, but keeps saying there is nothing wrong.”  


“What statement? I don’t understand.” She frowns.


“The first statement about your Uncle Michael’s arrest. When his store had that unfortunate accident and burnt down and…” Nya begins.


“What?” I ask when Jenny sniggers, but she shakes her head.


Nya is smirking too. “...he was evicted. And…” She laughs again but then clears her throat hard and nods for her to continue, but again with the smirking. “Then when your Uncles had to leave because of yet again, his actions, she was annoyed.”


“Annoyed why? Actually, can I see statement or the footage of it?” I nod and go get the iPad. When I show it to her, she just shakes her head slowly. “And it was immediately after this statement that she changed her attitude?”


“Pretty much, right Mel?” Nya asks, sitting down next to her and I nod. “So? I mean I have a theory, but what’s yours?”


“He didn’t offer, did he?” She asks quietly.


“No, I don’t think he did. If he had, he would’ve mentioned it to Justin and Justin would’ve had to get Aunt Jennifer to pull some serious strings to get you in.”


“How do you know that?” I frown.


“When Justin moved back to Pittsburgh after Kendi, it’s what she had to do with me. I transferred up here for a year. We finished school and I moved back to Alabama. Back then, we just had a satellite office until we got too big for it to be that.”


“So the next thing was what? The phones and texts, right.” She states rather than asks and we both nod. “He called who?”


“Uncle Brian, Uncle Justin and me...where are you going with this, Jenny?”


“The same place I’ve been thinking.” Nya sighs.


“How did he get Uncle Justin’s number? It’s not something that he would have even wanted.”


“Good point, but he would never tell us.”


“He’d have to tell his attorney...oh right, he doesn’t have one…” Jenny chortles.


“But one can be provided to him free of charge.” Nya smirks. “Can’t it, Mel? We just need to find someone who’s willing to sell his soul for the right amount of money.”


“We can’t do that! It’s called bribery!” I gasp but she just stares at me smirking. “Aaah...I see, let me see what she can do!” I head back into the lounge and am astonished to see Lindsay, sitting on the chaise with Justin’s feet in her lap and seems to be massaging them. Brian’s almost folded in half and they’re both trying not to look pissed off.


“Uh Lindz, the chaise is meant for two people not four.” I point out sweetly as I rummage in my bag.


“Four? Oh I see. Sunbeam!” She tinkles a laugh. “Well he doesn’t count yet as he’s got his own comfortable little seat in daddy’s little tummy.” She pats his stomach for emphasis and I cringe. “Now Ems, can I see the list please? I want to make sure that you’ve actually got everything that Justin needs.”


“Um Lindsay, he’s had a baby before. As have you. And Brian and I. And we all know we don’t forget anything, in fact we tend to overbuy! I think I still have at least five packs of booties for Jenny that aren’t opened!”


“Four twelve packs of nappies, the terry cloth ones, tried once...never ever ever again!” Brian shudders. “They make great washcloths though. Nice and soft, perfect on my skin.” We all just stare at him. He just shrugs and tries, yet again it would seem, to stretch out.


“Brian, you’re kicking me.” Lindsay grumbles.


“Then take the hint and get back to your own seat!” Debs snaps. “Come on, Lindsay get up!” She orders and goes to help her, showing Lindsay that she means business.


“I can manage Debs, thank you.” She bites out and gets up. Immediately, two sets of legs stretch out and Justin wiggles his toes. “Gus, can you give me a hand please?”


“Sure Mom, what do you need?”


“To move my chair to over next to the chaise.”


“You know what, Justin? You are due a nap.” Tobias stands up. “I think after all that activity, you could do with about an hour’s worth of uninterrupted sleep. Dinner’s not going to be for another hour at least, so the kids can go up and play games and…”


“Okay, you heard the doc let’s go!” Brian orders and pushes Justin up before following him out.


“Uh Brian.” Lindsay’s tone is censorious. “Tobias said that he needs to get uninterrupted sleep; I think it’s best you stay down here. After all, it’s because of you that he’s so over exhausted. And as for the children, they should...”


“Lindsay…” Brian begins his tone equally, if not more, censorious. “...we are both the reason that we are both tired. So we are both going to have a nap. Don’t wait for us, guys. We can eat afterwards.” They walk out hand in hand without another word, but then the door opens again. “Also, you guys don’t need her permission to do what you want in your own home. So be where you want to be.” He tells them and they shoot out after him. My heart does a little flip as they call for Jenny to join them.


“I’m going to help Nya with dinner. Jennifer, will you come with me?” Tobias says, having caught my eye. Jennifer nods and closes the door quietly behind her.


“What the fuck are you doing, Lindsay?!” Debs explodes before I can get a word in. “You were practically sitting on Justin’s lap!”


“What do you mean? I was merely wanting to make sure that the baby was fine.”


“That’s what Tobias is for.” Ems growls. “And what’s with the everybody has their price crack? What’s that supposed to mean?”


“Nothing! Nothing at all, but everyone does! I mean, look what happened at their other doctors. Clearly someone…”


“He’s had the same doctor for years, so it stands to reason that he would ask him to look after Justin and Sunbeam. But after his attorney’s statement which gave out details he shouldn’t even have had, the place was besieged with reporters and it wasn’t fair to the other patients!” Ems snaps.


“Well, I didn’t know that! I don’t know anything about the pregnancy at all!” She gripes.


“Why the hell should you?!” Debs demands. “Nobody does! It is nothing to do with anyone but them! It is their pregnancy and their baby! Leave them alone to enjoy it!”


“I haven’t bothered them!” She protests, but blushes.


“No, you’ve only been calling Kinnetic directly to find out where they were instead!” Ems retorts. “Cut this shit out! Whatever it is you think you’re doing, cut it out, Lindsay! That is my godson in there and you are not going to ruin this for them by being a domineering know it all. Because let’s face it Lindsay, you don’t know what it is like to have a baby when you’re a man. So your long-ago experience doesn’t and won’t count!”


Calling Kinnetic? Oh, what the fuck?! Seems some serious words will have to be had!


“Neither do you, Emmett!” She bitches.


“No, I don’t. But at least, I was there for Brian so I have more idea of what’s happening than you do!” He pulls himself to his full height. “Like I said. Cut. This. Shit. Out!” Then he turns on his heel and stalks away.


“Can you believe the way he just talked to me?!” She whirls around to face me. “How dare he?! I have a good mind to…”


“No, you don’t.” Debs said quietly. “You don’t have a good mind, at all. Like Ems said, cut it out. I’m going to go and play video games with the kids. Mel, call me when dinner’s almost ready and I’ll get them down to do the table.”


I just nod before sighing heavily. “You and I need to have a serious talk.” I tell her before heading back to the kitchen.


MASTER BEDROOM - SAME TIME


BRIAN


“Of course, I am fucked off! She’s trying to interfere!” Justin hisses as he tries to pull his top over his head and it gets stuck round his ears. “Some help, please!” He growls.


“Well stop moving about and I should be able to.” I wait for him to come to a standstill and ease the top over his head. “Perhaps, maybe undo the buttons at the collar and then take off the top?” I flattened his mussed up mop and he sighs before leaning against me. “I know it’s easy for me to say, but…”


“I need a bath.” He mutters before laying his cheek against my chest. “And a massage.”


“Massage?” I tilt his chin up and twitch at the fire in his eyes, but will my body to calm down.


“Hmm. Back aches.” He mumbles, getting as close to me as Sunbeam will allow.


“Lie down for a minute. I won’t be long.” I shuffle us back to the bed and he lies down with a small sigh. “Hips up.” I order and take off his pants and socks. Then I go to the bathroom and hunt for the things I need. When I come back, he’s curled up on his side with his arms wrapped around Sunbeam, as I knew he would be. Stripping off my own clothes, I get in and immediately, he turns towards me and wiggles his leg between mine, curling his left hand into my chest and stroking it gently. “How long?” I murmur, reaching for my phone.


“Until she’s gone.” He snickers before tucking himself under my chin.


“Four hours it is then.”


KITCHEN - SAME TIME


TOBIAS


I sigh as what Nya has thought seems to be true. Lindsay is trying to tell Justin how to be pregnant. When she asked for the list because she wanted to approve it, I could see fury blazing bright within Brian’s eyes. By that point, the sparks were flying out of Justin’s too, but she was oblivious.


“What is that?” Emmy points at the oven. I was charged with keeping him out of the kitchen while Nya went to go and get them.

 

 

 

“Slow roasted pork neck.” Nya replies, opening the oven and he is immediately by her side. “With braised carrots and leeks in there.” She taps the other oven door with her foot. “Doing mash for Justin, fries for the kids and sautéed potatoes for everyone else.


“All that cream can’t be good for the baby.” Lindsay’s tone makes us both grimace and start at the same time.


“Kendi survived on it just fine. Sure Sunbeam is going to as well.” She replies, peeling off a piece of crackling. “Yep, perfect. Hmm I wonder... won’t be a sec!” She declares and then taking a plate out heads upstairs.


“That’s a lot of meat there.” She peers dubiously into the roasting tray.


“Yes, I’m sure all of us can manage to finish it.” Jennifer’s smile is not so bright now.


“And a lot of fat! Perhaps you should skim some of that off, Emmett. Since I’m not a caterer or chef, I wouldn’t want to make a mistake.” She demands waspishly and Jennifer glares at her, but again she remains oblivious.


“Other than the one you are making right now?” He retorts, but doesn’t move. “The joint is perfectly fine and besides I’ve learned early on that Nya does not like her food to be fussed with when she’s cooking.”


“So much for sleeping!” Nya comes back empty handed. “I barely got up the stairs with it when an arm came out from the room. His sense of smell has kicked in.” She turns the ovens off. “They said to eat without them. The kids are going to eat upstairs and…”


“I thought Debs said they were coming down to set the table.” Lindsay interrupts. “I’ll get them.”


All eyes swivel to Jennifer and she nods then follows her out, closing the door behind her.


JENNIFER


“Lindsay, a quick word, if I may?” I watch her struggle to stop as she knows what I am going to say. Sighing she turns to face me, but doesn’t come down the stairs. “I understand that you are excited and want to be involved, but wait to be asked.”


“Is that all?” She sniffs.


“Yes, on the subject of Sunbeam. But on the subject of this house, go and sit down in the lounge or in the kitchen. You are not the matriarch here. The kids are eating upstairs because their fathers, their godmother and grandmothers said they could. And…”


“Jenny is my daughter so she will eat where I tell her to.” She starts to head upstairs again.


“As is your choice, but she’s rebonding with her brother and Kendi and Kemi. I thought from the outset that you wanted the girls close, or was it just the connection with Kendi you were after?”


“Why is everyone picking on me?!” She hisses then starts coming downstairs when we hear that all too familiar moan. “Seriously, do they have to fuck that much?!” She bristles as she stalks passed me into the lounge and closes the door. I hear the TV go on and sigh.


“Pssst!” I look up and see a plate being waved at me. “More crackling please!” Brian whispers hoarsely.


“Uncle Brian!” Jenny whispers. “Hang on a sec!” She quickly runs up to his arm and takes the plate and holds it over the bannister. “Ready, Aunt Jennifer?” I nod and she drops it. I catch it perfectly and then watch as she sits at the top of the stairs. “Meet you in the middle!”


I chuckle and explain quickly before Nya loads up two plates. “One for the kids?” She nods and I quickly make my way up and back. “As a matter of interest, why aren’t we eating if everything is done?”


“Gus is finally beating Kendi…” Nya laughs. “...not going to interrupt that virgin win!”


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - LATE AT NIGHT


JENNY


I creep down the stairs. I need some pepto bismol. I had forgotten how rich the food that Aunt Nya sometimes cooks is. I head to the kitchen and switch on the light. To my stomach’s eternal relief, I find some in there and am about to take it when I remembered something that Drill Sergeant Hawk did for me when I had a stomach ache. Oh I was in agony and ended up being mortified…


Start of flashback

GYMNASIUM


JENNY


Something is wrong. Why do I hurt so much and why am I this mad?!


Drill Sergeants Hawk and Field exchange looks. I hope they don’t think that I’m slipping back into old habits. I’ve been grumpy before, but not like this. Admittedly, I have been borderline obedient, but I just can’t stop the anger.


“Marcus Peterson, over here!” Drill Sergeant Hawk orders and it takes me a few seconds to turn around and then make my way over. The closer I get to him the more his expression changes from anger to concern. “Are you alright?”


“Yes sir.” I reply and then another cramping pain. Whatever I had last night, I am never having it again!


“No, you are obviously not. Nurse’s room immediately. I will join you there in 2 minutes!” He orders, but before I get two steps he yells at me. “Marcus Peterson, come back here! How dare you say that to me?!”


I never said a word. Okay, I thought oh fuck off I am too tired, but I am sure I never said it!


“Rest of the class to the grounds! Lap time!” Drill Sergeant Field orders and he leads the rest of the class out. It’s just us in the gym.


“Did you bring supplies?” He asks me as he ties his jacket round my waist. What the hell is he doing that for?


“Supplies for what?” I ask as he stands up and then blushes.


“Great, just great.” He mutters and ushers me quickly to the Nurse’s Room. “I’ll get someone for you...but in the meantime, there are supplies in there.” He gestures to the cupboard.


“Supplies for what?” I demand again.


He looks at me and sighs. “Let me get someone and they can explain it.” He replies.


“You explain please, Sir.”


“Sorry Marcus Peterson but as a man, I can’t do that. Now I won’t be long.”


When he closes the door behind him, it hits me like a ton of bricks and I want to die!


Forty minutes later, I am curled up in a ball as the cramps start to hit hard. Well, at least I know what they are now! I lift my head at the door knocking and call out that they can come in. Drill Sergeant Hawk pokes his head through. “Are you sure about that? If you are uncomfortable with my presence…”


“No it’s fine Sir, please come in.” I sit up and he comes across with a mug of something.


“Drink this, it will make you feel better.” I take it from him and sniff. “Honey, ginger and mint helps to settle your stomach.”


“Thanks.” I take a sip and then another. “This is nice.” I smile at him.


“Cures all ills.” He replies gruffly before looking at his watch. “I will stay till you finish that and then you must rest. Understand.”


“Yes, sir.” I reply and we sit in silence while I finish my tea.


“Are you finished?”


“Yes, sir.” I hand my mug back.


“Now get some sleep. You don’t get out of tests. If women can go to war, you can do English Lit.” As he stalks to the door, I smile at his retreating back and bundle under the covers.


“You are such a doofus, Hawk.” I laugh out loud then realise my cramping has eased. “An herb genius, but a doofus!”


“Is that Marcus Peterson for thank you?” He shouts through the door.


“Yes, sir!” I shout back.


“You’re welcome!”

End of flashback


I smile to myself as I make up the tea. It took 20 laps of the pool, but I got it out of him.


“Hey sweetheart, you okay?” Mom asks softly as she comes in.


“Yeah, just a bit of indigestion. Honey, ginger and mint. Want some?”


“Please. Three lots of crackling are sitting on my kidneys.” She laughs as she sits down. “So you going to tell me your theory?”


“Before I come to that, what about Justin’s number? How did he get it?”


“Oh yes, well that is down to your Momma. He asked for it because Brian wasn’t answering his phone so she gave it to him.” I look at her, horrified. “Yeah, that’s pretty much the face Brian had when she told him.”


“What was she thinking?!” I snap while pouring the liquid into the cups. “I take it Justin knows and that’s why they didn’t tell anyone where they were going?”


“Yes, but Gus and the Double Ks knew and were sworn to secrecy. Gus hated lying but when Justin explained his reasoning, he was fine with it.”


“When did you know?” I ask nervously.


“The day they came back. I told them not to tell me.”


“Did you have a press conference, too?”


“Yes. I made a statement because it was just me, Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin he was bothering and...oh, surely not!”


“Mom, remember what I used to be like? Always wanting to be the centre of attention; basking in the glory, inglorious or otherwise... where do you think I learned that from? Or better yet, who? She’s pissed that you and them are sharing something which she’s not a part of, no matter how horrible it is.”


“And me being the godmother of Sunbeam is surely adding fuel to her sour fire.” Mom sighs.


“Exactly! This is why I think the counselling sessions would be good. We need this; it has to stop with me, not go back to her. Can you try and convince her for me, please? She needs to understand that she doesn’t need to know about everybody’s life, but ours.”


“There’s my Marcus girl.” She runs her fingers through my hair. “Whose hair I cannot wait to grow back. Jesus, what the hell did you say? Tell me everything!”


“While you are supposed to be disgusted by the behaviour of your daughter, I came up with some great one liners!” I giggle and we head to the lounge with our tea and are up till the early morning as I tell her all about it.


MEL’S OFFICE - TUESDAY LATE MORNING


MEL


I have just hung up on Captain Orion and sigh in relief. I should be mad, but I’m not. After all, it was his brother’s opportunism and the rank nastiness of Michael that has gotten Hudson into this position. But with some judicious juggling and backdating of paperwork, they have made it seem like this was their idea from the start. Now for the other plan of Nya’s...as she suggested I should speak to Kiki. She has directed me to a somewhat less than judgemental attorney, who is willing to take on Michael, for free, as long as the Avenue thinks of the greater good. He will abide by the rules and honour the court, but there is no way in fuck that Michael Novotny is walking away...no way in fuck!


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - EARLY AFTERNOON


LOUNGE


LINDSAY


“Brian, I am just saying that Justin should be taking these particular vitamins that...yes, I know that Justin is a man! You proved that point more than once over the evening! The point I am trying to make is that he is pregnant and you could be harming...oh hello, Justin. I was just saying to Brian that…” I blush to the roots of my hair as Justin makes it quite clear that I should hang up now as he wants to bang the shit out of his fiancé and my carping harping advisements are making his dick soft!





http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/slow-roasted-pork-neck-197397

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive. Thanks