- Text Size +

CHAPTER 8 - YOU NEED A LOT LESS SASSINESS!


BRITIN - SAME TIME


KEMI


She has got to be kidding! “It can’t be!” I just walk round Nya as we sit in the garden. “This is all yours!”


“Yes, I’ve been growing it since I got hair, trimmed never cut.” She smiles at me.


“Please may I take a photo of you Aunt Nya?” I ask shyly. Nya is so pretty and I have to admit that I am a little intimidated by her.


“Of course, you can! Why on earth would you think you couldn’t?”


“Well to be honest, you give dad a run for his money on the death glare. And when Kendi told me you taught her and pop how to box, well…”


“Have a seat Kemi and let me explain me to you. I don’t think I am intimidating. I just have a strong sense of right and wrong, and I have no problem, not one, correcting someone’s behaviour. For example, I don’t believe it’s right for a child to demand and get what they want. I raised Kendi with Justin and we both have the same ethos. You earn what you want. And as long as you’re not rude, you’re kind to others and treat people the way you want to be treated, we’ll be fine.” I heave a sigh of relief and give her a hug. “Now, help me fluff up my ‘fro so you can take the picture!”

 


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - SUNDAY MORNING


JENNY’S BEDROOM


JENNY


I carefully check over my case to make sure I have everything I need. I check the amount of the money I have to take on Friday. I have $150 and a list of things I want. I can’t wait to get to Macy’s and get some make-up!


“Gus?!” I call and after an age, he finally comes in!


“Yes.”


“Do you know what we are doing on Friday?” He shakes his head. “You must have some idea, after all you have that shared calendar thing going on.”


“No, I don’t know. All it says is New York.” He sighs and then frowns.


“What’s wrong?” I approach him and try to see his screen, but he shields it from me. “Why can’t I help?”


“Because you’re not good at algebra.” He replies. “Maybe I could ask Aunt Nya. She’s good with numbers.”


“Why not ask Uncle Ted? He’s good with numbers, too. Maybe he would be upset that you are cosying up to Nya.”


“Did she say you could call her that?” He looks surprised.


“Not yet, but she will. It’s a girlie thing.” I reply smoothly.


“Of course, it is.” He snickers. “Was that all you wanted to know about New York?”


“No, I wanted to know how much money you are taking.”


“Momma gave me $100 so that…”


“I have an extra $50.” I crow and wait for his reaction, but there is none. He’s concentrating on his screen again. “Gus, did you hear me?”


“Yeah. Well that’s nice for you. Look Jenny, I really need to speak to Aunt Nya...and I am not cosying up to her. Uncle Ted is on a plane with dad and Papa J, so I can’t ask him and I need to know before tomorrow.”


“Gus! Can you come down please?!” Mommy shouts up the stairs. “You have a package from your father.”


He heads down to get, no doubt, his brand spanking new phone. I can just about take Gus getting stuff from his dad because I’m used to that. But now that I can’t ask Uncle Brian for the same things that Kemi gets, I find it frustrating. Mommy said that I should be patient because once I’m best friends with Kendi, the world is our oyster. When we get downstairs, he just takes the parcel and tucks it under his arm.


“Aren’t you going to open it?” Mommy asks.


“Not yet; I can do it later. Right now, I need to sort out this algebra problem. Excuse me. Hey Aunt Nya, how good are you at algebra?” He bursts out laughing. “Okay when she’s back, can you get her to call me? Thanks, later.”


“What’s so funny?” Mom asks as she comes out of the kitchen.


“She hates algebra and dropped it as fast as she could. But Kendi is good at it, so she’s going to call me back. But she wants to talk to you both before we go to NYC.”


“Speaking of the Big Apple, mommy, can I get some makeup from Macy’s like Clarins or even MAC?”


“Where are you going that you need make-up?” Mom frowns and inwardly, I sigh.


“Nowhere, but I would like it.”


“If you want but when it comes to lipstick, it has to be clear. You are far too young for coloured lipsticks.”


“Mom, I’m nearly 13 and…”


“Far too young.” She turns to Gus. “Did Nya say what she wanted? Gus? Gus?”


“Holy crap!” He breathes. ”Look at that hair!” He turns his phone around and mom whistles.


“You gotta admit, she’s a beautiful woman.” Mom smiles. “But scary as hell when crossed I should imagine!”


“Oh yeah! She’s scary alright! The first time I met Kendi and thought she was Kemi, when I punched her arm, Nya was up in my face in seconds!”


“I didn’t know that.” Mommy frowns. “Why wasn’t I told about her threatening behaviour?”


“Lindz, she was most likely defending Kendi. Gus said he mistook her for Kemi.”


“I still should’ve been told.” Mommy rightly points out. “And she had better not do it again!”


“Okay Lindz, but please let me be there when you tell her.” Mom laughs as does Gus.


JUSTIN’S PRIVATE PLANE


JUSTIN


“Oh, stop pouting!” I laugh at the look on Brian’s face.


“A fucking airplane!” He grouses before going back to his laptop.


“In fairness, you should grouse at Nya. She hates commercial planes, so when we made our first billion, she got this.”


“This is awesome!” Ted stretches out.


“Justin, what do you want me to do with the projection figures for iSoft Inc?” Hunter asks, looking up from his screen.


“Send them to Nya. She can double check them and then prepare the finance pack.


He nods enthusiastically and goes back to work. I like Hunter. He’s 18 and smart as a whip and, unlike most teens, keen to learn. He’s an intern in the finance department and Nya insisted he come on this trip. Okay there is slight nepotism because he’s a distant cousin’s son on mom’s side, but he’s been given no special favours.


“Hunter, when are you scheduled to fly back?”


“Thursday afternoon. Why?”


“Do you want to stay until Friday? Hang a second. Brian, maybe Hunter and Gus can hang out? As much as I suspect Gus loves Emmy, he’s going to be surrounded by girls.”


“Who’s Gus?” Hunter looks up.


“My son, he’s 14 and like you, judging by that pile of games, a complete games geek. I think that’s a good idea. You wouldn’t mind?”


“Nah, it would be cool to actually play against someone in the real world on these trips.” He smiles.


“Okay, we’ll call Gus when we land and you guys can connect.”


“Great.”


The rest of the flight is spent playing footsie with Brian until he stopped pouting over the fact that I have a plane!


The meetings for both of us were very successful, Hunter was very nervous about his being in charge of his first meeting. But between Brian, Ted and I, we coached him and he nailed it. He and Gus spoke a couple of times and seem to get on really well. We finished our meetings on Wednesday night, so Thursday is all ours. I was planning on sleeping in, but instead I hear a knock at the door. After checking the peephole, I open the door to find Brian, leaning nonchalantly, against the jamb.


W HOTEL - THURSDAY MORNING


JUSTIN’S BEDROOM


“Good morning Spitfire.”


“Morning Dashing Damsel.” I tease him and he grins ruefully. “Want to come in?”


“Actually, since there is a bed in there and you’re just wearing that...” He licks his lips and I adjust my robe. “I think it might be best if we breakfasted downstairs, don’t you?”


“Infinitely.” We lock eyes and it takes everything within me, not to drag him into the room by his perfect-fitting jeans. “You need to go downstairs.”


“Okay, Spitfire. Since you can’t seem to control yourself, I shall remove myself from your temptation! Don’t be too long though; I am actually hungry!”


“Arrogant prick!” I call out after him and he turns round to cup his dick at me.


DINER - LUNCHTIME


LINDSAY


I look incredulously at Mel. “She wants to know what?”


“She wants to know if there is anything that Jenny is not allowed to buy…”


“Why would Kenya need to know that?” Michael asks.


“Because she’s most likely going to be the one out shopping with them. Didn’t you read the itinerary, Lindz? Emmett and Jennifer are going to have beauty appointments so it’s going to be Justin, Brian and Nya with the girls. Oh that reminds me, I must get Hunter’s number off of Gus before he goes.”


“Who’s Hunter and where is Gus going?” Michael asks.


“Hunter is an intern in Justin’s business and Gus is going to New York with his sisters, his dad, Papa J, Ems, Jennifer and Nya.” Mel tells him.


“Brian and Justin are in New York...together? Why?!” He looks annoyed. “I know he said he was travelling, but I had no idea Justin was going with him.”


“Justin didn’t go with Brian. Brian went with Justin.” Debs comes over with our order. “Brian moved his trip, so they are there until Sunday lunchtime.”


“But we were supposed to be meeting up tomorrow night. Forgetting his friends already I see.” Michael gripes.


“That’s rich coming from you!” Debs snaps. “You barely spoke to him for the last two months of his pregnancy!”


“That was different and I was still his friend. He seems to be trying to drop me!”


“Might that be because you were a queenly bitch the last time he saw you?” Emmett’s voice drips sarcasm.


“I wasn’t being a queenly bitch, Emmett. I just didn’t see why Justin had to be there on our night. I was looking forward to it just being us. In fact, if anyone was a bitch it was Ted!”


“Ted wasn’t being a bitch; he was reciprocating. Now, I didn’t come here to waste my time telling you to act with civility where Justin is concerned, as you will lose a battle with him…”


“Oh stop being such a crawl-ass, Emmett! Mel, Lindz I will see you later. Bye Ma!” Michael grouses and storms out.


“Handled with his usual aplomb.” Debs laughs. “I thought you were flying today. What are you doing here, Ems?”


“We are, but I came here to ask what it was that you wanted, Mel?”


“Oh yes!” Mel exclaims. “It’s the Illamasqua Hydra Veil Primer, Beyond Powder in OMG…”


“Hmmm, I think that maybe Epic would be better.” Jennifer says as she approaches.


“Jennifer, how lovely to see you again! Are you looking forward to the trip?” I ask, ignoring the eye roll from Mel.


“Yes Lindsay, I am. Though we have to conduct a bit of business first. That’s one of the problems with being one of the Trustees of a multi-billion dollar company. So much documentation to sign!” I frown and she smiles at me. “It’s JCT Venture Capital, Inc, which is the company that Justin and Kenya set up as teenagers. They’ve just signed up 4 more companies, over the last few days.” She turns to look at Mel carefully. “Yes, definitely Epic for you. Did I hear you say you need Hunter’s number?” Mel nods. “Oh, I can give that to you. He’s a very nice boy. Here you go. Now we really have to make our way Britin and then to the airport, Ems.”


“Of course. I’ll just let Nya know we’re on our way.” He pulls out his phone and makes a quick call. “Seriously cannot wait to get to New York, haven’t been there in ages! Are you ready, sweetie?” Jennifer nods and with a quick kiss to the cheek of Debs and wave at the rest of us, they sweep out.


“I really hope they behave themselves out there.” Mel sighs.


“Why wouldn’t they?” I ask, picking at my napkin.


“I’ll see you later, Lindsay. I am not dignifying that with an answer.” She grouses and flounces out.


“Now what did she call that company again? Ah yes! JCT Venture Capital Inc. Well, let’s just see what you’ve been up to while you’ve been gone, shall we?” I smirk to myself.


PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - THREE HOURS LATER


JENNIFER


This is going to be interesting. Nya has been struggling to keep a lid on her annoyance with Jenny since she arrived last night. Apparently, she keeps muscling in between Kemi and Kendi, trying to push Kemi out. Now she’s giving her serious side eye because she’s linked arms with Kendi and they are chattering away.


“Um Nya, why are we going this way?”


“Jenny, did I say you could call me that?”


“No, but you said that your friends call you Nya and…”


“My friends who are adults.” She returns crisply.


“Oh, so Kenya why are we…”


“Jenny, you need to call her either Aunt Kenya or Aunt Nya. You can’t call her by her first name. It is not done by one so young.” Emmy tells her firmly. “Now try the question again with the appropriate salutation.” She goes red and glares at him. “And you will not look at me like that either! You are not with your mother Lindsay, who will let you get away with this lack of manners!”


She raises one shoulder in a dismissive shrug and carries on walking towards Nya. “As I was saying, Aunt Nya, why are we going this way?”


“Jenny Marcus Peterson, come here this instant!” Emmett stops walking and points at a spot in front of his feet and she slowly approaches. “I want an apology from you immediately!”


“I apologise Uncle Emmett…” She says just on the right side of graceful.


“Good, now let us proceed.”


“The plane is over here, Jenny. That’s why we’re going this way.” Kendi explains.


“Plane? What do you mean plane?” Emmy demands. “Oh no, don’t tell me! You’ve got a…”


“Yep a private plane, Ems.” Ted laughs behind him. “You should’ve seen Brian’s face when he saw it.”


“Ooh I wonder how much trouble Spitfire got in for that?!” Ems giggles.


“I can’t believe you didn’t tell us, Kemi!” Jenny exclaims, looking at the plane in awe.


“I didn’t know either.” Kemi is looking suspiciously at a suddenly quiet Kendi.


“Rubbish! You must have known. You’re sisters after all, aren’t you?! Can we get on now?”


“Jenny.” Ted turns to her. “Why are you speaking to Kemi like that?”


“She kept a secret from us…” She protests.


“No, she said she didn’t know and I believe her!” Gus defends, stunned by the viciousness of Jenny’s tone. “And it’s a great surprise!”


“And she didn’t know, just like Uncle Brian didn’t know!” Kendi snaps at her. “And don’t speak to her like that in front of me ever again!”


“I’m sorry, Kendi. I was just…”


“It’s not me you should be apologising to. It’s Kemi, after all you called her a liar!”


“Kendi, settle down slugger. Jenny, she’s right. You need to apologise to Kemi, and we’re not getting on the plane until you do.” Nya interjects and Jenny’s jaw drops.


“Jenny, come on, just say sorry. You’re holding us up!” Gus pleads.


“Sorry, Kemi. I shouldn’t have said that.” Jenny grudgingly apologies.


“Good enough?” Nya looks at Kemi, who nods. “Right, let’s get going then.”


FLIGHT TO NEW YORK - 40 MINUTES LATER


EMMY


Ooh that little madam! How dare she talk to my sweet Kemi, let alone me or Nya like that?!


“Champagne, sir?” The air steward asks.


“Oh yes please!” I take it with a smile and feel the tension slipping away with every sip.


“This is going to be an interesting trip with those three?” Jennifer smiles at me over her glass.


“I’ll say. She’s in for a very rude awakening.” I sit back in my seat and smile.


“Why?”


“She thinks that they get whatever and whenever they want, but that’s not true.” I laugh. “Well it’s definitely not the case with Kemi.”


“Or Kendi. Now, explain Spitfire to me.”


“Oh, well…” I turn to her and fill her in some of Brian and Justin’s almost total recall.


MACY’S, HERALD SQUARE, NYC - FRIDAY MID-MORNING


NYA


She has been trying everything to get that blush rose MAC lipstick, but Gus has thwarted her at every turn. First, it was for mommy, then mom and now some aged aunt six times removed on her mother’s side. Brian and Justin keep rolling their eyes, but it’s not their place to correct her behaviour.


“Jenny, can you please just get the clear lipstick that momma said you can get so we can get out of here? We’ve been here for an hour now.” Gus whines and Hunter is looking at me mouthing do something!


“It has to be the right sort of clear, it can’t be…” She begins.


“Excuse me Miss, but how old are you?” The consultant asks.


“Almost 13.” She preens.


“I see. While you’re still making your choices, I will just serve this other cust…”


“But I need your help still.” She lectures. “Whoever it is will have to wait!”


“Jenny, pick the correct lipstick or leave without one.” Brian calls out and that does the trick.


Everyone sighs in relief as we head upstairs to the designer wear department for their actual shopping. Kendi needs a few formal dresses as she has the Taylor Junior Cotillion in a couple of months, so Kemi will have to get dresses and shoes for that. I hear the dulcet tones of Emmy floating up the escalator and have to smile. He’s an absolute doll.


“Right, we are going to split up. I’ll take the girls.” Jennifer orders. “And you take the boys Brian. Hunter needs extra length in his trousers because he’s so lanky. If you could tell them to charge it to the Taylor Family Charge, we have an account here. OK?”


“Yes ma’am.” Brian smirks and saunters off with a resigned looking Justin, trailing behind him.


“He’s going to hate every second of that!” Kendi laughs and Justin’s shoulders drop lower and lower the further away he gets from us.


“Oh, I don’t know. I’m pretty sure Brian will make it worth his while.” Jennifer laughs and winks at me. “Okay, little ladies let’s go. Nya, will you do Kemi and I do Kendi?”


“What about me?” Jenny whines and I can see Jennifer’s eye twitch.


“What about you? My granddaughters have to get formal dresses for events already in their calendars. If you are invited then your mothers will get them for you. Now this is going to take long enough without you complaining.”


Jenny wisely keeps her mouth shut for the rest of the time we were in the store!


APPLE STORE - FOUR HOURS LATER


GUS


This is the part of the trip I have been dreading. I know she’s going to pitch a fit when I go to pay for this. Yes I got $100 but I have been saving my pocket money to get this Apple MacBook Pro and dad said that if I did well on my exams, he would do half.


“So what are you buying in here, Uncle Brian?” She asks.


“I’m not, but Gus is. Which one is it?”


“That one...


“Why don’t you get the 17” screen instead?” He peers at it. “That’s what I have at work.”


“Because I haven’t saved up enough for it. The 15 will…”


“It won’t. Just get the 17” and then you can wash the cars for a month - deal?”


“Inside and out?” I hedge.


“Outside only. Do we have a deal?” He smirks.


“Yeah, we do. I’ll put it down.” I grin.


“Uncle Brian, why don’t you just give it to him? Why should he wash the cars?” Jenny frowns.


“Because that’s not how we do things. If he wants things, he has to work for them. I agreed to pay half for this if he did well on his exams and behaved himself for his mothers. He did and so he gets what he wants. Same with Kemi. She loves owls and like Gus, if she behaved, did well on her exams, and got a good report card, she can have two owlets and…”


“What?!” Kemi gasps and dad and Papa J start laughing.


“Told you she’d forgotten!” Dad nudges him.


“Dad, seriously?! Seriously?!” She squeals, flinging her arms round him. “Guess what Kendi loves too!”


“What do I love, too?” Kendi comes back with Jennifer.


“Owls.” Kemi is near exploding with excitement.


“I love them and have been in love with them since Harry Potter! Why are we talking about owls?”


“Because dad is getting me two and we can share! I had completely forgotten that we made that deal!”


“Ahem!” Nya clears her throat and Jennifer is smiling. “Hunter, here you go.”


“What’s that?” He looks warily at the envelope, but takes it.


“Your ass is mine now!” She growls at him and he rips open the envelope. “I expect my assistant to be at my beck and call without complaint!”


“You’re kidding, I get to work with you?!” He quickly reads it. “I can’t believe it.”


“Believe it. You’ve worked hard and earned it! Now this calls for a cocktail or four, doesn’t it Emmy.”


“Yes, I’m rather parched!” He laughs, stroking his throat and coughing.


W HOTEL BAR - AN HOUR LATER


JENNY


I can’t believe that Gus and Kemi do anything for their things. That is such bullshit and I will prove it! “How come Kendi gets to share the owlets?” I ask Uncle Brian.


“Because it’s what Kemi wants to do.” Aunt Nya replies, narrowing her eyes at me. I shrug at her and turn back to Uncle Brian. “Jenny.” She calls out, but I ignore her.


“Uncle Brian?” I tap him on his arm as he is listening to Justin. “Justin, can you stop speaking for a minute? I want Uncle Brian to answer the question.”


“Good afternoon, may I speak to Melanie Marcus please? Yes, of course, Kenya Fox-Worthy. Hey Mel, how are you? Well, we have had a few problems with Jenny. She’s pushed her way between Kemi and Kendi, yes I mean literally. She has been disrespectful by calling myself and Justin by our first names despite Emmy telling her not to. She’s called Kemi a liar and spoke harshly to her. She’s trying to get Gus into trouble over his new MacBook Pro. Quite frankly, she’s ruining this trip for the rest of us. Could you speak to her please?”


I turn back to her and laugh. “You called my mother?! Oh that’s the oldest trick in the book, I don’t believe you…you don’t have her number for a start!”


“Jenny.” Mom’s cold voice stuns me into silence.  Everyone hears as the phone was put in speaker, “Of course, she has my number. And is what she said true?”


“M-mom, I…”


“Will be on the next flight home. I shall meet you at the airport and you and I are going to have yet, another long chat! But before you go upstairs and pack with Aunt Jennifer, you will apologise immediately for your behaviour.”


“I’m sorry! I don’t want to go home! Mom, if I could just explain...” I beg, but am interrupted in my pleading.


“Tough. Because of your behaviour, you're ruining the fun for everybody else, so home you go!” Aunt Jennifer snaps. “Mel, I’ve got the ticket. I shall change it, while she packs.”


“Thank you, Jennifer. Jenny, I shall see you later. Everyone else, have a good weekend.”


“Bye, Mel.” Aunt Jennifer answers. “Right, let’s go!”


“But…” I blubber. “I really am sorry. I am!”


“Only because you’re going home!” Kendi snaps. “Grandma, do you need me to help you to help her pack? You know how quick I can be!”


“Slugger, wanna go home too?” Jennifer asks.


“No Ma’am!” Kendi says immediately and Jennifer smiles, but that drops as she turns back to me.


“Move it!” She orders.


I still don’t believe that I am going home so decide to play along, but four hours later I am back at home. Not only is mom mad, but mommy is too. In fact, she’s so mad that she’s taken my lipstick away! That is just so not fucking fair...this is all Kenya’s fault!!!


W HOTEL - SUNDAY MORNING


BRIAN’S SUITE


Once Jenny went, everyone relaxed and had a great time. But now it’s time for the big announcement and her not being here makes it so much sweeter.


“Can I have your attention for a minute?” They all look expectantly at me. “Kemi and Kendi, I want to show you something. Now I want you to react calmly as it is Sunday morning and I was on Beam, okay?”


“Want some more coffee, papa?” Kendi asks, but Justin waves her back into her seat with a smile.


“When you get back to Britin, these will be waiting for you.”



Instead of squealing, I get stunned silence. “Which brings me to the logistical problem of having an aviary with owlets.”


“DAD! SERIOUSLY! SERIOUSLY! YOU PROMISE!”


“Kemi, volume.” Nya whimpers from her tender-headed-nothing-to-do-with-braids position on the sofa, next to a wincing Emmy.


“Sorry, Aunt Nya.” She whispers.


“Yes, I promise. We’re moving to Britin permanently.” I turn to Gus.” Now you need to update your room, it hasn’t been done in a while, okay Sonny Boy?”


“Yeah great!”


“I will accessorise your bathroom, so you don’t need to use my $50 bottle of conditioner for slickness that does not apply to your head.”


“DAD!” Gus cringes and Hunter guffaws.


“Now Kendi, where Kemi’s room is next to the new games room, that was the old library, there is another room, you can either use that or…”


“Can I use that pop? As much as I love Kemi, she’s messy!”


“I am not messy! I am carefully disorganised.” She protests. “So that games room upstairs is for us three, right? And as long as we keep it clean and tidy and get parental approval for what goes in it, right?”


“Maybe, but I was thinking you might like this?”



“Dad, that is truly awesome! I call dibs for Sunday night!” Gus yells.


“Hey!” Kendi throws a cushion at him.


“Um, question.” Emmy croaks. “Where is Spitfire going to sleep?”


“Wherever he wants.” I reply and feel the wink he gives in my dick!

 

“And you know where that is Hot Rod.” Justin licks his lips.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and  constructively. Thank you.