- Text Size +

CHAPTER 10 - ANOTHER STEP TOWARDS...AND A STEP BACK IN TIME


LINDSAY


I saw the look that Michael gave me. He is on his own with this battle. He may not have liked the kiss, but what I saw was not Justin making a point but Brian doing something he really wanted to do. Oh, this plays wonderfully into my plans for our future! I shall play Cupid to the newly connected lovers and reap the rewards for my services for nurturing their love.


However, I need to rein in Jenny’s sharp tongue. I know she’s hurting because she isn’t getting what we feel is her right, but silence will reap that reward.


The other thing I need to do is make sure that the looks between Mel and Nya don’t mean what I think they mean!


BRITIN - SATURDAY, A WEEK LATER


GUS’S ROOM


HUNTER


“Dude, this is awesome!” I fling myself on the bed and marvel at the colour scheme, especially the wall mural behind his bed.



“What’s with trophies?” I pick one up. “Did you win these?”


“Yeah, for soccer, I take after my dad. As for the mural, it’s for everywhere I want to go whenever I can. The red pins are where I want to go and the green ones are for where I have already been.”


“Ah, and the yellow ones?”


“They’re for when my dad is dead and buried and can’t stop me!” He grins.


“There are a lot of pins. Did he put them in?” He nods and grins, but doesn’t look pissed. “Is it really weird having another Kemi?”


“A bit. You’ve known her how long?”


I met her as part of the Taylor family when she was 3, but she's been part of the business since she was 11.”


“Part of the business?” He looks puzzled.


“Yeah, she is a partial shareholder in the company. Saved all her pocket money from chores for a year to buy the right amount of shares and…”


“Jesus!”


“What?”


“Kemi did the same thing for Kinnetic! That is freaky!” He clears his throat. “Look, don’t take this the wrong way or anything…”


“What?”


“I bought you something. I spotted it and...well here. I’m not hitting on you or...I just saw it....”


I take the large flat package from him and open it carefully and snicker. “That is so me! Thanks, dude! I love it.”



“And for the record, I’m not gay either! But thanks for reminding me to get a haircut!”


“Oh, fuck off! Let’s play!” He laughs and we’re back to being dudes!


THE AVIARY


KENDÄ°


They are so wonderful and soft. The only icky thing is having to hand feed them. Thank god for gloves! I try not to heave as I feed Soleil another piece of dead mouse...seriously something wrong with chicken?!


“Okay, that’s enough for Soleil now.” Pop says and I happily take off the gloves. Kemi is with Dad at the moment since she fed them this morning. “You okay?”


“Yeah Pop, well no. It’s the summer and soon I have to go back to school but school is in…”


“It is so scary.” He sighs, dropping his arm across my shoulders.


“What is?” I wrap my arm round his waist.


“How alike you and Kemi are.” He smiles. “She said exactly the same thing to Justin yesterday. We’re going to talk about it as a family. But I am assuming you two want to go to the same school?” I nod. “And this is your first year of high school, so you both want to go to the same one as Gus?” I nod again. “Fine. Gotta get used to the twin thing!”


DINER - SUNDAY EVENING


DEBS


I have had nothing but love for my new wig! I don’t normally work on a Sunday, but Michael came round to bitch and moan about Brian and Justin’s behaviour every day since it happened and I had to escape!


“Office now!” Ernie hisses and stands in front of me. I quickly make my way there, but leave the office door open.


“Yes, can I…”


“Is Ma here?” Michael’s whining tone cuts her off.


“No, she’s not. Do you want to order?”


“No.” He snaps and stomps back out again.


“What was that about?” Kiki asks as she makes sure he is gone.


“Brian and Justin gave us a tongue show that he didn’t appreciate!” I laugh.


“Of course he wouldn’t appreciate it. It’s not…” Ernie snickers.


“He’s over that now…” I interrupt quickly.


“No, he’s not.” Ernie interrupts back. “Michael is not over it. He’s still feeling betrayed.  You really don’t get it, do you?”


I shake my head and she leads me back to the office. “Sit down, Debs. Let me tell you what we see about Michael.”


“I know he whines and what he said was…” I begin.


That. That is what we see! Despite what he said about Kemi, the fact that you won’t let anyone tell Brian about it until you are ready, to some, well to me, you might as well have said it yourself.”


I gasp in shock and feel the tears prickle in my eyes. “I didn’t think of that.”


“I know.” She replies quietly and takes my hand. “Debs…”


“How do you mean he feels betrayed?”


“Is that a serious question?” We both jump at the sound of Kiki’s voice. “Do you remember how Michael was…”


Start of flashback - 15 years ago - as told by Debs, who was told by Michael and Ted

THE LOFT


BATHROOM


BRIAN


I can’t believe how sick I have been! I sit back and wipe my mouth. Michael hands me a glass of water and Ted wrings out the wash cloth, then heads to the kitchen. I wince when the ice cold cloth hits my forehead and glare at him. “You might have a fever.” He explains and begrudgingly, I have to admit that it does feel good.


“Oh fuck, not again!” I groan and dry heave into the bowl.


“That’s it. I am booking an appointment at the docs for you!” Ted declares, pulling out his phone. “You’ve been like this for months!”


“Brian, for once Ted is right. Maybe that guy from the fuckfest weekend gave you something.” Michael points out grumpily.


As if I didn’t fucking think of that!


I turn to Michael and sigh. “Michael all my tests have come back clean. This is most likely just food poisoning.”


“In order for you to have food poisoning, you would need to eat.” Ted tells me tartly. “You have an appointment in two hours. And I am going with you.”


“Come to Ma’s after and let us know.” Michael says, gathering his things. “I’ve got to go back to the store as inventory waits for no one.”


DOCTOR CHARLES FOSTER’S PRACTICE - TWO HOURS LATER


DR FOSTER


I look at the test and still can’t believe it is Brian Kinney, this is the ultimate top, the Stud of Liberty Avenue and he’s pregnant! I take another test out and redo the test on his blood and urine. I go back to the room and smile reassuringly at him. Twenty minutes later, he is swallowing down his second glass of water.


“You are kidding me right?” He gasps.


“No. I’ve run it twice. Both blood and urine and you are definitely at least 7 months pregnant.”


“Seven months?” His friend echoes, swallowing his water down in one go, before looking incredulously at him. “Seriously, first you are pregnant and second, you still look like that!”


“Just lucky, I guess.” He mutters.


“So what do you want to do?” I ask gently.


“What do you mean, what do I want to do?” He looks confused.


“Do you want to keep the baby?” I smile inwardly at the scandalised expression on his face.


“Of course!!” He and his friend say at the same time.


“Great. Um, are you the other father?” I look at him and they both look nauseated at the idea.


“No, I’m his friend Ted. I’m here for support. I have read up on MPREG and…” He pauses and looks at Brian. “Sometimes the baby doesn’t survive birth. What are the chances of…?”


“Pretty low.” I say quickly and Brian lets out a sigh of relief. “As amazingly enough, because you carried on living the life you were, you’ve helped her to…”


Her?” They both echo and Brian strokes his still flat stomach unconsciously.


“Yes, you are having a girl.” I smile as he wraps his arms round his stomach.


“Fuck. I mean damn!” He corrects quickly.


“So you need this…” I give him the pack with the vitamins and leaflets. Read them carefully. Follow the instructions implicitly.”


“He will. I will make sure of it!” Ted tells me firmly.


DEBS’ HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


DEBS


Brian and Ted finally get here. “Where the hell have you been?” I demand, barrelling towards him to give him his customary smack round the head. But Ted gets between the two of us and puts his hands up. “Ted?” I frown and then look at Brian, who looks stunned.


“What time are we hitting Babylon tonight?” Michael asks, but Brian doesn’t reply. “Brian? Hey Brian, I am talking to you!” He shouts.


“Debs, I’m pregnant.” He turns to me and when I look into those shimmering green eyes, I know he’s not kidding.


“Oh fuck, kiddo. Sit down. How many months?” I demand.


“Seven. And…”


“Are you fucking kidding, Brian?! You’re knocked up?!” Michael shouts, slamming down his beer bottle.


“Yeah.” He mutters and looks down at his stomach.


“So what are you going to do?” I ask.


“Give it to Lindsay to raise, of course!” Michael declares. “So I guess you’re on water tonight?”


Ted, Brian and I all turn to stare at him. “Hi, hi!” Ems calls out as he comes through the door.


“What? Just because he’s knocked up doesn’t mean he can’t party still.” He decrees, rolling his eyes and pointing at Brian, scowling.


“Preg...Brian is pregnant?!” Ems shrieks and is immediately by his side, pulling open his jacket and staring at his stomach. “May I?” He asks and Brian nods. He smiles as Ems gently places his hands on his stomach. “Do you know? How many months? Is it from that weekend?”


“Em, she’s a girl, seven months and most likely. One more thing, shut up, Michael! Brian is keeping the baby and it’s none of your damn business anyway.” Ted replies, coming in with water and some pills. “Brian, take these, and you are going home to rest.”


“What for?” Michael demands.


“He’s not going home, Ted.” I tell him firmly and Michael smirks. “He’s going upstairs. I will drop him home tomorrow. Michael, if you want to go to wherever, you do that. But right now, he needs care.” I pull him to his feet, point upstairs and he goes without a word.

End of flashback


KIKI


“And it was him.”


“What was him?” I ask.


“It was him who told the Avenue that Brian was pregnant. You’d have thought it would’ve been Emmy, but nope. It was Michael. He was raging because Brian wouldn’t consider giving Kemi to Lindsay.”


“Holy crap. Brian was so furious when the Avenue made it clear they knew…”


“...and so surprised when they didn’t judge and rallied round him.” Ernie smiles. “Oh god, do you remember his first contraction?!” She snickers.


“Luckily it was Orion, who was holding his hand when it hit. I think he would’ve crushed Ted’s fingers!” I laugh. “And that fucking vest, I mean really!”


“And look what he’s done. He was always going to be a success; he’s Brian Kinney for fuck sake, but she’s a credit to him. Even if she does swear like a nun on a day off!”


BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


BRIAN


“Dad, can I ask you something?” Kemi asks, moving her chess piece.


“Yeah.” I frown as I try to work out how the fuck she got to checkmate again!


“That kiss between you and Pop? Did you mean it or was it just for show?”


I sigh and surrender my piece then ignore her smug look. “We meant it. But apart from sex, we know virtually nothing about each other…”


“So you’re courting in reverse?”


“Yeah. No matter what though, he will still be your Pop. Besides we might not even like each other, so we’re taking it super slowly.”


“Okay.”


TAYLOR RESIDENCE - SAME TIME


OFFICE


JUSTIN


“Justin, just call him!” Nya orders and I throw a paper ball at her for snickering.


“And say what?” I twirl my phone.


“Hi, it’s me Justin. About that kiss, I would really like to do that again. And you made me come like gangbusters.”


“Nya!”


“Okay, maybe not that. You like the guy, but you’re scared of finding out that the man you have a major schlong for is not as nice outside of bed as he is in. But I don’t get that feeling off him.”


“Then there’s Kemi and Kendi to consider….”


“You will still be their fathers, so take them out of the equation and think of yourself. You. Like. Him.” She states emphatically.


“Yeah. Yeah, I do.”


“Then call him! Look, why not arrange a 4th July fireworks party? We could hold it here instead of Britin? At least, you are on home ground as it were.”


“True...what’s that look for? Why are you smiling like that?”


“Anderson Dark, Inc.”


“What about them?”


“Brian runs the advertising for them. And Ted has just told me about their dinner next Thursday, which you are already going to. He’s quite a sneaky chap that Ted.”


“So?”


“Jeez, you are dense when you are in heat! Their dinner is next week, so Brian is going to be there as are you. So why not…”


“Okay! Okay, I got it!”


“Thank you! I am now going back to being quietly brilliant!”


KENDI

 

I grab my phone and make my way back upstairs to my room to call Kemi. “Well what did he say? Oh, that’s nothing. Dad was trying to find a reason to call him. Also, make sure that Pop doesn’t book anything for the Independence Day weekend; we’re having a fireworks party here. That’s all I know. Oh, and another thing, make sure that he is looking super hot next Thursday...bye!” By hook or by crook, we are going to get them together!

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks