- Text Size +

CHAPTER 36 - HERE’S THE ROPE...GO HANG YOURSELF


FOX-WORTHY RESIDENCE, ALABAMA


STUDY


EARL


“Come on, woman! Dial faster!” I order my wonderful wife as she laughs and puts it on speaker.


“Michael Novotny, speaking.”


“Michael, hello it’s Earl Fox-Worthy. How are you today?”


“I’m fine thanks, but a little busy. Can I call you back?”


“No, not really. I would prefer our business was conducted quickly. I need your email address please? Ted was kind enough to give me your telephone number as I need to send you the call notice.”


“Call notice?” There is a marked drop in the tenor of his voice.


“Yes. I have been looking, well Nya and her mother have been looking for me obviously, at your accounts and…”


“My accounts? What do you mean my accounts?”


“Well you gave them to Ted to look over as part of the loan and now the loan is mine. I want to call it in, though I am not sure why you needed the money. You had more than enough capital to not need the money.”


“My reasons are my own.” He says weakly and I relish that sound. After he said what he said about my granddaughter, I am going to make that ratshit fucker bleed!


“As they should be. So we are agreed that the call notice is going to be exercised?”


“Yes, it is. So the $15,000 is due when?”


“$17,000 that is what is due.”


He gasps. “What do you mean $17,000?”


“The extra $2,000 is for the buyout fees and the entirety, including the principal, needs to be paid by bank transfer by Friday afternoon. Then we will have concluded our business.”

 

“Fine, but I have to go. I have a pressing family matter to attend to.”


“Of course. I look forward to receiving your money and concluding our business.”


FIRST BANK - FRIDAY MORNING


BANK CLERK, AKA NORBERT


“Right Mr Novotny, there is your bank transfer receipt. The money will reach Mr Earl Fox-Worthy by CoB this evening…”


“CoB? What the hell does that mean?”


“Close of business. Now is there anything else I can help you with?”


“No thanks. That was more than enough help from you guys. In fact, you’ve helped so much that I am thinking of closing my accounts!”


“That’s such a shame. We hate to lose business. Can you tell me what happened to make you come to that decision?”


“You took away my line of credit on both my personal and business accounts and blamed me for a start. In fact, the only good thing you have done for me is the safety deposit box...safety deposit box! I want to open that now!”


I look across the bank and get the nod, and pray to every god I know! I look through the paperwork and there it is and I have to stop myself from happy dancing and punching him in the face! “So your box is numbered 385, let’s go and get what you need. I take it you have the key?”


“Of course, I do so let’s just get this done!” He snaps and he pulls what could only be described as a clump of metal out of his pocket and is actually able to straighten up. “Here it is! Now could we hurry this along?!”


THE VAULT


I lead him to Box 385 and my hand itches to snatch the paper out of his hand and run to the precinct with it, but I know I can’t without a proper warrant. So with a smile, he folds it up and puts it in his pocket and then stalks out. But then stops and turns around. “For once, you have been helpful. With this piece of paper, I can go and get my daughter on Monday.”


You won’t last in jail!


HOTEL NEAR MILITARY SCHOOL - FRIDAY AFTERNOON


JENNY


Oh that was a lovely bath in lovely hot water with bubbles. Uncle Michael has gone into town to get me some clothes. There was no way I was going to wear the stuff that I had there. Now there is just one more thing I need to do, apart from watch some good TV, and that is call my so-called parents! But oh it was so good to walk out of there, knowing that there was nothing that Bernie could do fuck all about it…


Start of flashback

PITTSBURGH PREPARATORY MILITARY SCHOOL - TWO HOURS EARLIER


ERNIE’S OFFICE


JENNY


“Like I said, Bernie…” Uncle Michael winks at me and sneers at him. “Jenny and I are leaving now. She should not have been brought here without my express permission and I will be speaking to her mothers about this! I do hope that the money they have paid for this hellhole is refundable. And as for the shaving of her head, you are lucky I haven’t reported you for child abuse! Now what is required apart from you to show us out?!”


“You need to sign this for me and Drill Sergeant Willcox will show you out.” He, she, whatever, replies.


I make sure I wave to Drill Dick Hawk as I leave…

End of flashback


I look at my hair again and sigh. I am near bald because I ran my mouth, according to Hawk and Macaw. They have got to be fucking; they are too much in synch not to be! I pick up my phone to call those other bitches but the battery is dead, which would be because they kept our chargers! I grab the hotel phone and dial the number. “Hello mother, guess where I’m not…”


BRITIN - THIRTY MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“Mel, what do you mean Michael has taken Jenny? Where has he taken her? Mel, calm down and stop screaming!” She quiets down. “Thank you, now start again...”


OUTSIDE OF MICHAEL AND JENNY’S HOTEL - AN HOUR LATER


JAMES ORION


We watch the hotel carefully and he’s still not back, but then the radio crackles. “Mark is on his way back. East side.”  I look down the street and there he is, bopping and looking so self-satisfied like he doesn’t have a care in the world.


“Standby. Do not apprehend until he gets to the room. I repeat do not apprehend until he gets to the room!”


As he enters the hotel, I get out of the car and manage to get into the elevator with him, but he is more interested in the comic within his hand. As the elevator ascends, I almost leave before him as he gets out to let someone go by him. When he gets out, I hang back for 2 seconds and head in the opposite direction to him and give the signal.


“Michael Novotny, on the ground! On the ground now!” A voice yells.


“What the fuck is going on?!” He screams as he is wrestled to the floor outside the door and swarmed over by officers. His shouting is loud enough to attract attention and the door opens to reveal a bewildered looking, but definitely unharmed, Jenny Marcus Peterson.


“Jenny! Oh my god, Jenny. Are you okay?!” Mel shouts as she runs down the hall and hauls Jenny into her arms with tears streaming down her face. “You fucker! I will destroy you! I will fucking destroy you!!”


“Get him the fuck out of here!” I order and they carry a shouting and swearing Novotny out.


“Mom!” Jenny looks astonished at the relief and tears on her face. “Mom! I am fine. I was…”


“YOU SCARED THE FUCKING SHIT OUT OF US!” She shouts and Jenny shuts up. “You don’t go anywhere or with anyone! I don’t care who they are! Not a single fucking place without telling us where you are!  Do you understand?! Do you have any fucking idea how scared we were when we called the school and you weren’t fucking joking?! Any idea?!” She rests her head on Jenny’s shoulder and takes a couple of breaths before pulling out her phone. “Lindsay, she’s fine, she’s...sp-speak to your momma” She begins to cry again and this time I have to step in.


“Jenny, go and get dressed and I will explain when we get there.” I tell her gently and take the phone to reassure Lindsay and signal one of my officers.


“Get where? Where are we going?” Her voice is so small and she actually sounds like the 12 year old she truly is.


“Precinct.” Mel sniffs. “Your Momma and everyone else is there.”


“Mom, I was only with Uncle Michael.”


“I know, but you shouldn’t have been! But like the Captain said, they will explain everything.”


57TH PRECINCT - AN HOUR LATER


INTERVIEW ROOM ONE


JAMES ORION


I look across the table at a bewildered, but combative looking, Novotny. “Do you know why you are here?”


“No I don’t and I shall sue the city for false arrest!” He snaps.


“You were Mirandized so surely that should’ve been a clue?” I retort.


“Some ridiculousness about kidnapping!”


“Yes, you are charged with the kidnapping of Jenny Marcus Peterson and…”


“Kidnapping?! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! I didn’t kidnap her; I took her out of a place she didn’t want to be!”


“What gave you the right to do that?!” I demand.


“Her mothers…” He sneers. “...should not have sent her without my permission.”


“You are her uncle, in name only. Why would they need your permission?”


“They’ll find out.” He sits back, smugly.


“I need to find out NOW!” I order and he glares at me.


“I am her father.” He smirks. “Her birth father.”


“And you can prove that how?”


“I have papers that prove it.”


“Which is where?” I ask.


“In my personal effects.”


I pause the interview and ask for his things to be bought in. “Show it to me.” I order and he rolls his eyes, but takes out the paper. “Let it be noted that Michael Novotny has shown me, Captain James Orion, a paper that allegedly proves his paternity to the child known as Jenny Marcus Peterson.”


“What do you mean allegedly? I am her father! I paid someone to make sure that my offering was used and this is the proof.”


I look up as I hear screaming and shouting and hope that they can quell that…


BRIAN


I am looking into the tearful and angry eyes of my friend, Mel and hate having to pin her to the wall. “Brian, please tell me he didn’t do this? Please!”


“I can’t because I don’t know.” I choke out.


“He’s not. Mel, he’s not.” Lindsay sobs and we both turn to look at her. “I had Nya have a look and…”


“Oh my god! This?! This is what you were keeping from me?!” She wails as she looks at Nya, who is also crying but nodding. “Are you sure? You are absolutely sure he’s not?”


“Absolutely sure, but that’s not all.” Nya sniffs. “He...he tried to roofie Brian on the night that he and Justin met.”


“HE TRIED TO DO WHAT?!” Mel and Lindsay shout.


“Yeah. That.” I sigh and then pull a shivering Mel into my arms. “But we need to let him speak. He always manages to talk himself out of trouble, but this time it’s the other way around.”


JAMES ORION


Seriously Debbie Novotny, the Mother of Liberty Avenue is this fool’s mother?! She can’t be!


“This paper means nothing, Mr Novotny; you could’ve knocked it up anywhere.”


“I can give you the name of the person who knocked it up for me. He worked at the facility at the time. In fact, he has been blackmailing me about this ever since.”


“Blackmailing you?” I don’t understand.


“Yes. Mason Reed has been blackmailing me for the last five years and you need to arrest him.” He sits back, smugly.


“But then we would have to arrest you as well.”


“What on earth for? I didn’t do anything wrong!”


“So you let Melanie Marcus or Lindsay Peterson know that your offering would be used?”


“No, they wouldn’t understand my reason for it. But it worked out. So are you going to arrest him?”


“Before I come to that, what are the reasons? And how do you know Reed? Indulge my curiosity.”


“He was a bouncer on the door at Meathook and had a liking for me. I mean, what’s not to like? He was a bit of a tweak, but he liked Brian. I mean, who wouldn’t? Brian and I were finally getting closer, but I just needed that little push to get us over the friendship line and he said he could get it for me.”


“And did he? Get it, I mean.”


“Yes he did, which is why I kept him in line. Reed came though. I mean, it’s not as if Brian drank the drink that night at Woody’s, thanks to the fucking wonder twink, but...”


“Wonder twink?”


“Yeah his partner, or really his main trick du jour, at the moment. He stopped him from drinking it and knocked Mason out.”


“So basically you’re saying that Brian’s spiked drink was done at your encouragement?”


“Well, yeah, I put it in. We both wanted Brian; him for the night but it was more long-term for me.”


“Hmm...interesting. So why has he only been blackmailing you for five years? Jenny is 12.”


“Well they had Jenny in Canada and then they were supposed to move back when she was seven but that fell through. He just never stopped asking for money…”


“So why not report him? You say that you did nothing wrong.”


“I didn’t! Nothing I wanted to do worked, so I didn’t do anything!”


“Apart from admitting to intent to harm.” I sit back and smile my gotcha smile. “So back to your reasons for wanting Melanie Marcus impregnated with your sperm...care to explain your thinking there?”


“Okay so they wouldn’t be related, but she’s Gus’s sister. And Brian was happy to pay for everything she needed...well, until recently when Wonder Twink and his brat resurfaced. In short, Brian was Jenny’s father in monetary terms, but I am her father by genetics and emotions. I am a very emotional and visceral person. So basically it’s still like we’re her parents as well as Mel and Lindsay. But still, Brian is nothing but a drop in dad! I expected him to still be involved with all our children and treat them equally! Okay so he’s not a drop in dad with Kemi because he has to be present since she lives with him, but with Gus, he did nothing! Well not until Kendi came along. You see, he is all about his image and…”


I am so done with this shit!


“Please stand up.”


“Great! I can go now?”


“Yes you can. You can go to a nice warm cell. Michael Charles Novotny, you are hereby charged with attempting to drug Brian Kinney; the attempted rape of Brian Kinney; the attempted impregnation of Melanie Marcus and the kidnapping of Jenny Marcus Peterson.”


His face falls. “You’re kidding, aren’t you? Didn’t you hear what I said?”


“Yes, that’s where the arrest part comes in.”


“But I want my lawyer! This can’t be legal! I was never…”


“What part of ‘right to remain silent and you have the right to an attorney’ were not clear? You waived that right when you began speaking. And for the record, this interview was recorded. So when you so arrogantly dismissed our offer to call your attorney, stating that you didn’t need one because you had done nothing wrong, you waived that right. Would you like to hear the playback?”


“No, let’s just get this farce over with!” He snarks and waves at me to go ahead of him. And I do so, as I walk passed the room that has the rest of them in I hear the door open and then a thud. I whirl around and there, shaking her hand out as she is carried back into the room by two officers, is Lindsay Peterson!


“Dang, she knocked him clean out!” Norbert laughs as he turns Novotny on his side and calls for medics. “You have no idea how much restraint I had to use!” He mutters to me. “So much restraint.”


BRITIN - MIDNIGHT


MASTER BEDROOM


BRIAN


I have had my shower and am trying  to creep into bed, but the light goes on. I look at my fiancé and he just opens his arms. Sobbing, I crawl into them.


“Shush. Hotrod. Hush.” He mutters as he rocks me, I hear the door open. “I’ll make some hot milk, in the meantime you take him.”


“He was...was prepared to ra…” I sob.


“Oh my darling darling boy.” Jennifer soothes. “You’re safe now, you’re safe now.”


Twenty minutes later, Debs and Jennifer have brought in the sofabed with the help of Tobias. Blake and Tobias are on the chaise lounge, but it’s the fact that Ted, my best friend, is behind me and Nya is behind Justin and they are holding hands to keep us secure in their embrace that finally eases my mind so I can sleep and so can Spitfire and Sunbeam.


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE


JENNY’S BEDROOM


JENNY


I can’t stop crying! I have never seen Mom so scared. And I did this! I must make it right! I must!


“Jenny, come on now stop crying.” Mom say as she brings in a hot malt, my favourite drink, which makes me cry harder.


“Send me back!” I sob. “Send me back tomorrow!”


“Send you back where?” Momma asks confused.


I look at her in disbelief and then notice her wrapped hand. “What happened?”


“I hit your Uncle for…”


“Military school. Send me back. I will make you proud. I promise.” I look at their astonished faces. “And we Marcus Peterson women don’t break their promises!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively, thank you.