- Text Size +

CHAPTER 6 - PARENTING AND LAYING DOWN THE LAW


STAIRWELL - HILTON HOTEL, DOWNTOWN


BRIAN


“Can we stop a minute?!” I ask as he trots down the stairs.


“What’s wrong?” He stops and comes back up to join me on the landing.


“Get behind me. You’re bouncing...and I’m finding it difficult to concentrate and don’t want to break my neck!” I snicker.


“Oh.” He goes red and then smiles. “And you’d rather I was distracted by your butt, would you?”


“Yep. And the longer we talk about distraction, the harder I am finding it not to occupy your mouth with something else.”  I tease him.


“Oh, what would that be with then?” He teases back.


“How bad do you want to know?” I ask, stepping towards him fully expecting him to step back, but he doesn’t.


“How bad do you want to tell me?” He counters; we just stare at each other daring... no willing, the other to make a move.


“It’s going to happen, we know that.” He whispers and I nod. “But could we at least wait until we have the DNA results, even though we both know they are ours.”


“Agreed.” I whisper against his mouth.


“Good.” He whispers against mine. “Now come on, we have to get back. After you, sir.” He orders. “And do not put a rush on the results!”


“Fucker!” I laugh.


“And you know how well!” He giggles.


TAYLOR RESIDENCE - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


NYA


We have had a high old time, getting to know each other. Gus has been filling us in about his mothers, sister and Uncle Michael. When they told me what Michael tried to do, I was livid and called Jennifer to let her know. So she’s coming down on Thursday so she can have a word with people! I love it when she does that!


“They’re back and there’s no police following them!” Kemi rushes to the door and practically drags them in. “Tell us everything! But, wait... set the scene, first!”


“Pretty much your pop let them have it. Told them in no uncertain terms that we will tell them about you when we want to.” Brian explains. “Oh and Gus, if you mom gives you any shit, let Papa J know. He’s already told her that she will answer to him.”


“Okay. Thanks. Oh by the way, why would momma want to know your surname, Papa J?”


“Don’t know...oh my god!” Justin looks closely at Gus. “Your mother is Lindsay Peterson?!”


“Yes. Why are you saying it like that?” Gus looks worried and slightly defensive.


“Because I know her. Her and her family.” He sits down and looks at me. “I need to call mom.”


“I have already after what Michael did. What’s occur...oh fuck, it’s her!” I declare.


“Can you please explain what is going on?” Brian sounds exasperated.


“When I got pregnant, like I said my parents were very supportive. But others within our social community, weren’t so much. She and her parents were one of them. She made the mistake of being insulting about me during one of my parents’ dinners; called me a freak of nature with loose morals, and my dad defended me. But I was so stressed out about everything that I left to go and stay with Nya until after Kendi was born. She was only banned from the cotillon then. But when she said that I had most probably been sent away in disgrace, it was the last straw for my parents and they banned her from any event they organised, which also means she was in the wilderness for years. At the risk of blowing our familial trumpet, our family has a lot more societal clout that hers does or ever will.”


“Christ!” Brian exclaims. “Wonder what she said about me behind my back?”


“Oh dad, I’m so sorry” Gus goes over to comfort Brian, who looks very hurt.


“Not your fault, Sonny Boy. I thought she was just being prickly because I wouldn’t give Kemi to her to bring up with you.”


“What?!” Gus gasps. “I didn’t know that.”


“Oh I am so glad you said no, dad.” Kemi squeezes his hand.


“So am I, but that didn’t stop her asking two years later if I would be a donor for them again.”


“Dad.” Gus pauses and takes a deep breath. “Did you really say no to donating because it would be momma carrying?”


He looks up in surprise. “No! I said I was only going to do it once and then Kemi came along. Who told you I said that?”


“Mom did. Well she didn’t tell me that specifically, but she told momma during one of their rows. And I overheard.”


“I don’t want to be around someone like that!” Kendi declares firmly and Justin shakes his head. “Why do I have to be around...oh, we won’t be able to see Gus, right?”


“How can she get away with keeping Gus away from us? We’ve only just met!” Kemi sniffs.


“Nobody is keeping anyone from anyone.” I interrupt and they all turn to look at me. “I’ve always wanted to meet the person who made my best friend miserable. So let’s do this!”


“Huh?” Kemi frowns.


“Get everyone round for dinner, Friday, so we can get a proper measure of her.”


“I am so disappointed in her.” Gus sighs and his phone rings. “Speak of the devil.” He grumbles. But before he can speak to her, Brian takes the phone off him.


“Yes Lindsay, what is it? He’s with his me, his Papa J and his sisters so he’s perfectly fine. He wants to get to know them some more so he’s coming to the loft and I will drop him off tomorrow. No Lindsay, I said I will drop him off tomorrow and that’s final! Your mom…?” He hands the phone back, but Gus shakes his head. “He’s busy at the moment. I’ll make sure he phones you before he goes to bed or first thing. Bye.”


“You realise she’s going to go to the loft?” Gus sighs. “Especially if Uncle Michael is still with them.”


“Fuck.” Brian sighs.


“Why not stay here?” I suggest. “Kendi has clothes for Kemi and you just need PJs and a toothbrush. Go the loft first thing and that’s that.”


Three pairs of hopeful teenage eyes lock onto their fathers. “I’m good with that.” Justin replies and Brian nods.


“Great, now that’s settled.” I declare. “Now go get him some stuff and me a large bottle of red!”


“Yes ma’am.” Brian salutes me and he and Justin walk out, chuckling.


HILTON DOWNTOWN


MEL AND LINDSAY’S SUITE


MEL


I don’t think I have ever seen her so shellshocked. Brian was on speaker during the call so we all heard how he spoke to her. “I can’t believe he is virtually holding Gus hostage, using…”


“Lindsay, stop right there! He is doing no such thing and I…”


“Let’s go the loft and collect my son. I will not be spoken to like that by the likes of him! You’ll have to stay Mel, as someone needs to look after Jenny. Come on, Michael!”


“Oh mommy, can’t I go too? I love the loft.” Jenny pipes up and looks appealingly at her.


“Okay, darling.”


“We can’t.” He sneers.


“Why not? You have keys, don’t you?” Lindsay frowns.


“No, the locks were changed and he’s still not given me my set yet, despite my many reminders…”


“When did that happen?” I ask.


“About six months ago. Remember when I had pneumonia? Well it was then.”


“That’s not like Uncle Brian. He normally gives you what you want.” Jenny points out.


“Well, I’ve not asked him directly; I’ve reminded Kemi to tell him. Still don’t know why they were changed in the first place.” He folds his arms and gripes, as usual. I start to laugh and they all look at me confused. “What’s so funny?”


“First, you didn’t have pneumonia you had a heavy cold. And secondly, you barely acknowledge and sometimes make your disdain of her so clear, except of course in front of Brian. Tell me why would she remind her dad to give you keys to her home, so you can come and go at will?”


“That...that little…” He splutters wisely to a stop when I glare at him, but looks furious at being gotten the better of.


“Oh, it’s Gus.” I pick up my phone. “You having fun? Great…” I step away from Lindsay’s reaching hand. “As far as I know, we’re not doing anything on Friday evening. Why? Okay, tell us tomorrow. Sleep well.”


“Why didn’t you let me speak to him?!” Lindsay demands.


“He went before I could ask. Now, speaking of going, Michael…”


“What?”


“Good night.” I say pointedly, heading to the door and hold it open. “No doubt, we will see you soon.”


“Oh. Well, goodnight then.” He gets up and makes his way out and I shut the door before he can say anything else.


“Jenny, go and get ready for bed please.” I tell her.


“But I want to stay up and talk about what’s happening.” She pouts.


“I’m sure your mommy will tell you what’s been said in her own sweet way. Now go and do as I ask.”


“Promise to tell me everything, mommy?” She looks at her.


“Mel, why can’t she stay? It saves me repeating it.” Lindsay argues.


“Because it’s time for her to go to bed.” I reply, simply.


“I bet Gus isn’t going to bed now.” She grumbles and is still sitting down. I am about to give her a warning.


“What Gus is doing right now is irrelevant. This is the time you normally go to bed, so do as I say now or I shall take away your tablet for the weekend!”


“Mel, that’s a bit much!” Lindsay objects, but I’m not budging.


“I’m going!” She snipes. “Goodnight mommy, sleep well if you can.” She kisses her on the cheek and heads to her bedroom.


Oh no little girl, you are not doing that!


“Won’t be long. We need to talk.” I tell Lindsay and picking up the tablet follow Jenny in. She’s muttering crossly and about to phone one of her friends, no doubt to bitch about the unfairness of it all. She looks up at me and reaches for her tablet. “Thank you for bringing it in.” She says gracelessly.


“I wasn’t. I’m taking your phone, too. So hand it over.” I demand and put my hand out for it and lock eyes with her.


“But…”


“For every second you pout and defy me, I will add an extra day.” I tell her and she quickly hands it over.


“Sleep well, if you can.” I reply tartly and she gives me a grim smile.


I close the door behind me and laugh at the muffled scream she lets out into the pillow. Now to deal with the other little madam!


“Mel, what are you doing with those?” She demands.


“Confiscated them. I will put them in the safe for three days. As for…”


“Mel, I’m very tired. Let’s talk in the morning. Do you want me to put them in for you?”


“Yes I would, but I doubt you will. I will put them in myself. You go and rest.” She glares at me before flouncing to the bedroom and slamming the door hard. “And goodnight to you, too.” I snipe at the closed door before heading downstairs to the reception to use their safe instead.


THE LOFT - THURSDAY MID-MORNING


LOUNGE


BRIAN


“Was a bit of a day, wasn’t it?” I ask Gus, who’s been quiet since we left them.


“Yeah.” He sighs.


“What’s up?” I nudge him.


“It’s weird. I have another sister, who I have known for less than a day and I found out what mom was like before. She’s lied to momma and I worry about how she and Jenny are going to be with Kendi.”


“How’d you mean be with Kendi? Why would they treat her any different to how she treats Kemi?” He look incredulous at me. “Okay, okay, Jenny can be a little grabby and…”


“A little grabby?! Come on, dad! Remember when it was Kemi’s birthday a couple of years back and she got a stack of presents? She bitched all the way back to Toronto and I mean all the way. Mom wanted to take her shopping to cheer her up, but momma said no. So come her birthday, she had this massive party and guess who she forgot to invite?”


“Not that she would’ve gone anyway but I’m going to guess Kemi?”


“Exactly! And then spent the entire party, scrutinising each and every present to make sure it was the newest model. But Kemi most likely has the latest model of that, why can’t I have it? Thank goodness that they are going to be catering to her whims now and not you. Personally, I think they should’ve been from the outset, so maybe they won’t be so inclined to give her what she wants all the time. Momma promised, now that she and mom have jobs that they are going to do it and not ask you for stuff...”


“She promised?” I am surprised by that.


“Yeah. Mom wasn’t happy that I made them promise, but tough nuts. Now that you have your rights back, you shouldn’t have to support a child that’s not yours!” He declares vehemently. “And I know you don’t mind, but I mind dad. I think they take advantage of you and that’s not fair. If it were the other way around, trust me they wouldn’t be so generous.”


“How long has this been pissing you off?” I ask.


“Since I began to notice that they went to you, especially mom, for anything and everything that Jenny wanted that she deemed essentials.” He sighs crossly. “And new trainers are not essential just because her best friend has a pair!”


“Trainers?!” I can’t help but laugh at the truly indignant expression on his face. “How much were these essential trainers?”


$385.00.” He replies and I am no longer laughing.


“How much?”


“Yeah. She was really pleased with them. So much so that she would only wear them for best and by the time best came along, they were too small!”


“Come on, let’s get you back to your mother's. She’s called me six times already.”


“And how many times has Uncle Michael called you?” He asks, snickering.


“Six. I’m waiting for the exasperated call from grandma before I call him back!”


“You know, he’s most probably bitching in the diner or has gone back to their hotel.”


“Well if he’s there when we get there, we'll kill two birds with one stone...and bingo! Hey Debs, we’re just on our way to their hotel. Oh he’s over there, is he? Look, can you do me a favour and call the rest of the family? We’re having dinner on Friday night. Yeah at Britin for about eight. Okay, later.”


HILTON DOWNTOWN - TWO HOURS LATER


DINING ROOM


MEL


“I don’t see why we couldn’t stay in the room.” Michael complains. “Or go to the diner.”


“Because he said that Gus wants to eat and they were already on their way here.” I reiterate for the third fucking time! “And here they come.”


“Hi momma, mom, Jenny and Uncle Michael. How are you all?”


“Fine Gus, how was your evening?” I ask while Brian’s supposed best friends glare at him and Jenny looks sorrowful.


“Oh, it was great! We were up late, talking about everything and anything. She’s had such a fascinating life! She’s travelled the world with her dad and her godmother is the coolest woman!”


“I’ll bet.” I laugh. “Now sit down and order. Brian, are you staying or…”


“No, I’ve got to meet Justin and the girls at the hospital.”


“Is something wrong?” I ask.


“Got to check on Kemi’s shoulder. Oh by the way, what are you guys doing on Friday evening?”


“Nothing, why?” Lindsay finally deigns to talk.


“Having a family dinner at Britin. See you at eight. Bye y’all. Sonny Boy, be good.”


As he sweeps out, all eyes turn to Gus. “Well what do you have to say for yourself?” Lindsay demands and I catch the slight smirk on Jenny’s face.


“What should I be saying?” Gus looks puzzled.


“You were rude to me last night and for that you are going to…”


“Stop, Lindsay! How was Gus rude to you? He never even spoke to you.” I ask.


That’s how he was rude to me; he never spoke to me!” She declares, haughtily.


“And let me guess... you want to take away his tablet and phone for 3 days, just like I did to Jenny? Well no, I am not going to let you do that! Jenny was rude; Gus was busy last night, and most likely wrapped up in all the excitement. He called you this morning and said he was coming back and what time. There was no rudeness as we were both on the phone and you know I would’ve said something.”


“That sends out the wrong message.” Michael unwisely interjects. “By…”


“When you are disciplining your child, you get a say on that. Until such time as that comes to pass, zip it!” I bark at him, thankful that we are tucked in a private corner. “In fact, why are you here exactly?”


“I wanted to meet Brian and when Lindsay told me he was coming here…” He trails off.


“Yet all you did was stare at him.” I put my napkin down on the table and look at an astounded Gus. “You want to eat that upstairs, then have a shower and change?”


“Uh yes, please momma.”


“Great. Let me speak to the waiter. I won’t be long.” I get up and just as I step away from the table, I hear Jenny call him momma’s little pet. I return to the table immediately. “So Lindsay, name calling, something we agreed would not be tolerated... what are you going to do about that?”


“She’s just frustrated about…” She begins to defend as usual.


“She’s just grounded for the rest of the week and not allowed out of the hotel. Apart from the dinner.” I tell her sharply and wait for her to protest.


“Okay, Mel.” She replies icily.


“And that is on top of her confiscation of her tablet and phone.”


“But mom…!” Jenny cries out with tears in her eyes...oh you have learned from your mommy, have you?


“Come on, Gus. Let’s get you upstairs.”


LINDSAY


I watch the two of them leave in disbelief. “Don’t worry, darling. I will talk to mom and it will be fine.”


“Well, I’m going to go back to the store. I haven’t been at Britin for ages! When was the last time we all went there together?”


“Easter for the BBQ…” Jenny tells us, picking at her breakfast.


“Wow. Well, hopefully it won’t be so long between visits next time. I could get quite comfortable there. Why he needed such a big place like that is beyond me!” Michael gathers his things and with a quick wave is gone.


“Was it really Easter that we were last there?” I frown.


“Yeah that was it and she and Gus got to bring their friends and I couldn’t! You see? This is what I mean, mommy!”


“Darling, don’t get yourself so stressed out. Now with regards to your potential new sister, I would advise you to align yourself with her as she sounds like a much better version of Kemi. Someone who has travelled the world with her father, has to have a certain degree of refinement and good breeding.”


“Can I get a new outfit for the dinner?”


“I don’t see why not. Now come on, let’s go upstairs. Mom should’ve calmed down by now.”


DR CHARLES FOSTER PRACTICE - TWO HOURS LATER


“That looks great, Kemi. You should be able to take that off in a week.”


“Yes! Ouch!” She winces as she unwisely tries a fist pump.


“Now, this eye is looking good as well and should be faded by next week, too. Now was there anything else?” I look up at Brian, who has a smirk playing on his face.


“Yeah, there is just one thing. Let me go and get it.” He stands up and Kemi is also smirking. I shrug and wait. “It’s this.” Brian drawls and I look up and drop my cup of coffee on the floor.


“Wha…?” I stammer and stare. “When did you have her?!” I demand.


“I didn’t. Meet Kendi and her father, Justin Taylor.” Brian smiles.


“He-hello...pleased to meet you both. So you both got pregnant?!” They nod, grinning. “How are they so alike if different fathers carried them?” I reach for my reference book and find the relevant section. “Well I’ll be damned. It’s possible but incredibly rare…”


“What?”


“During um congress...maybe not in front of the…”


“They’ll only ask us so you might as well tell them too.” Justin grins as two blonde heads bob up and down.


“You must have both dropped eggs at the same time and they both must have split and there you go.”


“Yeah, maybe could’ve lived without knowing that much detail.” Kemi grimaces.


“So who’s older?”


“Me by 2 minutes.” Kendi smirks.


“Only because dad was being a drama queen and refused to have his oh so precious Armani vest cut off him.”


“Armani vest?” Kendi teases him.


“Yes Armani…Arm-a-ni. And Armani does not get ripped, cut or torn.”


“Yes, it does.” Justin winks at him and licks his lips.


“So about the DNA test. We’d like to have them.” Brian shakes his head at him. “Just to be sure. There’s no rush on them though and…”


“What do you mean no rush? Pinprick from the fathers and the children and 20 minutes later, voila.” I reply. The room goes quiet. “Times have changed, especially now that men can carry. All of a sudden these laws, which women have been campaigning about for years, have come into effect!” I shake my head ruefully. “So am I doing this?”


“Yeah. Definitely.” Brian replies.


BRITIN - FRIDAY EVENING


LOUNGE


BRIAN


What a whirlwind this has been! Everyone is here and we’re just waiting for Nya to come with the special guests for the evening. Gus has been telling us that Jenny got into so much trouble with Mel, she’s grounded until Sunday and Lindsay’s plans to get her a new outfit for the dinner were thwarted.


Speaking of Lindsay, I need to talk trainers with her and now is as good a time as any.


“Lindsay, Mel can I have a word please?”


“Of course, Brian.” She pastes a smile on her face, having been a sourpuss since she got here. Mel has been scarily friendly, but what I’m going to say will most likely change that.


I lead them to the study and shut the door. “It’s about Jenny...more specifically the $385 trainers that were bought for her and unworn until they were too small.”


“How did...?” Lindsay begins, but then is cut off by Mel.


“$385 for trainers?! The ones that you got her and she’s never worn them; they cost that much?”


“They were Chloe…”


“I don’t care who they belong to or what the hell they were! She’s not worn them and now they can’t fit her! I am so sorry, Brian. If I had known about this, you most certainly wouldn’t have provided the money for them. Excuse me a minute!” She stalks out the room and Lindsay glares at me. I hold her gaze. Mel comes back in with Jenny, who looks at us all. “I want you to hear this so that we are all clear. From this point on, you will not, neither of you, go to Brian for money to buy things. If you want something, Jenny, you will ask either me or your mommy. We are your parents and we will give you the things you need and things you want when we can afford them. Brian, if Lindsay comes to you for anything that is not Gus related, can you let me know please?”


“Absolutely.” I reply. “I take it you want the room for a bit?”


“Oh, yes please.” She grimaces.


I saunter out and feel not a trace of guilt. Kemi would never ask for $385 fucking trainers and if she did, she would insist on doing some chores to pay towards it! I begin to wonder what other essentials I have been paying for.


MEL


“When we get to the house on Monday and after we’ve unpacked, the first thing you are doing, Lindsay is giving Brian the money for those trainers back and putting those trainers on eBay. Or wherever. Before you pout, stomp or scream, they don’t fit you anymore, Jenny. So they are just gathering dust....”


“But mom, I’ve never even worn them!” She cries.


“Well you should’ve when you had the chance.”


“Mel, you’ve been punishing Jenny a bit harshly these last few days and…”


“Because she deserved the punishment! And this is not punishment; it is common sense. And before you say anything about Brian not minding, he clearly did or he wouldn’t have mentioned it.” I see lights coming up the drive. “Now let’s go have some fun, shall we? After you two...and put on your party faces, seems like the rest of their guests have arrived.”


JUSTIN


I am just about to knock when the door it is pulled open and a grinning Gus drags the girls inside. “No, really. We’ve got the cases, thanks, please go on ahead!” I shout after them as they bound up the stairs.


“Good to see the novelty hasn’t worn off.” Nya chuckles as she carries in Kendi’s case.


“Gus, come back down and take the case please!” Brian shouts up the stairs. Gus comes down, looking sheepish. “And all of you come back down straight afterwards.”


“Yes dad.” He replies, bounding up the stairs. “At least, she packs light!” He calls back over his shoulder.


“There’s another two!” Nya calls up and he stops. “No seriously, another two. Yeah, for two nights, three cases...don’t ask.”


“You going to be okay with two teenage girls by yourself?” I ask Brian and he looks smug.


“Ah, but I won’t be by myself.” I frown. “Wait and see, grasshopper, wait and see.”


The kids come down and finally, we head into the lounge. Everyone turns to face us.


“It’s so weird seeing two of them.” Emmett says. “But hello, my darlings. Welcome to Britin!”


“Emmett, this isn’t your house.” Michael grumbles from the sofa.


“It’s not yours either, so take your feet off the table.” Brian orders and Michael looks surprised, but does as he’s told.


“And speaking of houses and more importantly, the loft. I have asked Kemi for six months to remind you about my new set of keys for the loft, but she keeps forgetting to tell you so…”


“No, she doesn't. I don’t think it’s appropriate or necessary for you to have a key now that Kemi’s at an age when she can look after herself. I mean, the times you were there when she came home from school was just to make sure she was safe, wasn’t it?” Brian replies with one eyebrow raised.


“Yes. Yes of course, it was.” Michael mutters a deep blush, staining his cheeks.


“Good, that’s settled then.”


“Now the only people you haven’t met, Kendi, are Lindsay, Mel and Jenny. Jenny’s Mel’s daughter, and she’s 12.”


“Hi Kendi, nice to meet you.” Mel smiles as does Lindsay, but Jenny is just gawping.


“Jenny darling, say hello.”


“He-hello. I can’t believe how alike you look. Do you take after her in every way?” She asks and I can see Kemi start to tense up.


“We’re twins. I’m my person and she’s hers. Nice to meet you, what do I call you?”


“Uh, Jenny.”


“I think she’s talking to Mel and Lindsay, Jenny. Well what does she call you?” I ask and introduce myself to Mel properly.


“Aunt Mel and Aunt Lindsay will be fine.” Mel replies before tilting her head. “So who are you?”


“Kenya, but most of my friends call...” She starts to reply.


“Kenya, as in Africa?” Jenny snarks.


“Jenny!” Lindsay gasps. “I’m so sorry, Kenya!”


“I’m sure. But to answer your question, yes as in Africa, Jenny. Where I am not from before you ask. I’m from Birmingham Alabama and my folks liked the name for me. This should be a fun evening.” She smiles tightly...oh she is pissed! She absolutely hates rudeness in children!


“Okay people, let’s go eat, I’m starved!” Debs announces.


“I’m so sorry to keep everyone waiting! I just had to take that phone call! Thank you for letting me use the study, Brian.”


“You’re more than welcome.” Brian replies while everyone stares at the new visitor.


“Now I have heard so much about you all in the little time I’ve known about Kemi. I feel I know all of you already!” She gushes.


“That’s great sweetheart, but who are you?” Debs asks.


“Oh sorry, my manners! Jennifer, I’m Jennifer Taylor, Justin’s mother. And very proud grandmother of these two beautiful girls.” Mom beams at everyone. “Now let me guess please? You have to be Debs, um, Blake, Ted, oh you must be Emmett, Mel, Jenny, Gus and I have already met as it were. You, I think are called Mingrel, I’ve never heard of a name like that, where is it from? Oh who are you? I can’t remember you being described to me.”


“Oh, I’m Lindsay, Lindsay Peterson, I’m Gus’s mother.” She smiles at mom and shakes her hand.


“Nice to meet you. Nice to meet you all. So like Debs said, let’s eat!”


“Uh excuse me, but my name is Michael.”


“That’s nice, dear.” Mom replies and then turns to Debs. “Do you need some help?”


“Oh honey, I don’t want you to get…”


“Lead the way.” Mom orders.


“Wait for me, I helped too!” Emmett calls out and runs after them.


“Let’s go sit.” Brian tells us and we follow him to the dining room.


“This smell divine.” Mom says as she comes in with a steam pot of something. “What is it?”


“Coke beef short ribs.” Debs replies. “They’re Kemi’s favourites!”


“And the plum crispy chicken wings are Kendi’s.” Nya replies and then glares in the face of the eye roll from Jenny. “Maybe the next time we do a big dinner Jenny, we can have your favourite things, hmmm?”


“That would be nice, wouldn’t it Jenny?” Lindsay trills.


“Yes mommy that would be nice.” She replies with as much grace as a dead haddock.


“Now come on people, let’s dig in!” Debs demands. “Lots of napkins will be needed for this!”


An hour later, the table is cleared and we are very happily stuffed. And everyone has been telling Mom about themselves.


“So tell us about yourself, Jennifer?” Mel requests.


“I used to live in Pittsburgh, but now I live in Cape Cod, following the death of my husband, Craig.”


“Oh shit, Sunshine. I didn’t know that!” Debs exclaims. “I’m sorry.”


“We all are.” Ted tells me and there’s nodding from most people.


“It’s okay, he went out happy!” She chuckles and it takes a few minutes for people to catch on and they start to laugh. “I’m part Welsh on my grandfather’s side and the rest is good ole fashioned American. And he had an interesting phrase, peidiwch byth ag anghofio caredigrwydd na maddau bach…”


“Is any of that filthy?” Kemi asks.


“No.”


“Oh shame, but what does it mean then?”


“Never forget a kindness nor forgive a slight. He lived by it and instilled the same in me. But now onto more important things, tell us now!” Mom demands.


“Tell us what? What’s going on?” Ted asks nervously.


“We had the DNA tests done.” I begin and then nod at Brian.


“And they’re ours.” He replies, grinning.


“As if they could be anybody fucking else’s!” Nya exclaims. “Congratulations, you’re a dad...again!”


“Oh Bri, that’s wonderful. So wonderful!” Ted exclaims, starting to blubber. “I’m so sorry, excuse me a minute. I need to compose myself.” He scurries out and Blake follows.


“Why don’t you four go to the media room and watch a movie?” Brian tells the kids and they start to slowly file out. “We will tell you the edited bits later, now go!”


“Okay, we’re going!” Gus laughs and closes the door behind him.


The room goes quiet as we all absorb what we knew to be true. Ted and Blake come back in both with red eyes.


“You okay, Schmidt?”


“Yes Bri, thank you.” He smiles.


“Okay, let’s discuss the elephant in the room, shall we?” Nya leans back in her chair and twirls her glass in her hand.


“What’s that?” I ask confused.


“Who knocked up who first, of course?!” She demands


“Nya!” Mom exclaims.


“What? It’s not as if you don’t want to know.” She grins back.


“True!” She giggles. “But not today. But we will find out. Now let’s go join our wonderful granddaughters, Debs.”


“Oh, fuck me! I’m a grandma again! I need brandy!” She links arms with mom and they walk out laughing.


HILTON DOWNTOWN - SATURDAY AFTERNOON


MEL AND LINDSAY’S SUITE


BEDROOM


LINDSAY


While part of me is insulted that she doesn’t remember me, the other part is hugely relieved! Now to put my plan in place. I shall be a good wife and give Brian the money back for the trainers as per her edict. I am thinking longer term as I sink back into the pillows and drift back off to sleep.


MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - SAME TIME


MICHAEL


I can’t believe I wasn’t allowed to stay last night and Ma was! This is not how you treat your best friend!


TAYLOR RESIDENCE - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


JENNIFER


“She’s not aged at all well.” I comment and Nya looks up from her crossword.


“Who hasn’t?” She asks.


“Lindsay. She’s aged terribly.”


“Oh I see. So what are we going to do about that little salope?”


“Salope? Oh bitch, I keep forgetting that you know French. Let her get comfortable. And as for her grasping little protégé, I say let the girls deal with her.”


“But I get to bring out BAB…”


“Oh yes, you do indeed, my darling girl. You do indeed!”


OFFICE


JUSTIN


“Well all hell is about to break loose. That is one very unhappy momma bear and as for Nya, she’s just itching for go-time.”


“I’ll bet. Oh by the way, I spoke to Mel and Lindsay about the trainers for Jenny and…” Brian smiles.


“What trainers for Jenny?”


“Lindsay asked for $385 for an essential piece of equipment for Jenny and they turned out to be a pair of Chloe trainers.”


My jaw drops. “$385 for a pair of trainers?!”


“Which she never wore and grew out of.” He replied grimly.


“Jesus. Kendi would never ask for something like that! And if she wanted it, she would have a business plan and a projected chores list to earn them and she would earn them before I bought whatever it is she wanted.”


“Kemi’s the same. She really, and I mean really, wanted this new skateboard but it was $300 so she sold a couple of her old ones and presented me with the money as a put-towards-it.”


“How the hell have we managed to raise such put together girls?” I giggle.


“Don’t.” He states.


“What? What did I say?”


“You didn’t. You giggled. Don’t giggle.”


“But it was funny. So when I find something funny, I giggle.” I point out and watch him close and lock the office door.


“Come here.” He whispers and I think I must have flown as I find myself wrapped in the arms I have longed to hold me for 14 years.


“Just one.” He murmurs and I nod and meet him halfway, and yes, he tastes exactly the same...perfect!







http://crushmag-online.com/recipe/old-school-coke-beef-short-ribs/

http://crushmag-online.com/recipe/crispy-plum-basted-chicken-wings/?cat=chicken-poultry

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks