- Text Size +

CHAPTER 11 - REACTION AND ACTION


GLC HALL


LINDSAY


I’m in shock! I cannot believe that selfish, low class bitch is with a woman of Annalise’s calibre! How she split Mel and I up remains a constant thorn in my side and I still, to this day, don’t believe that Mel was ever faithful with me during our relationship! Especially with an obvious lesbian like her. At least, I was discreet!


As I watch them finally disentangle themselves from each other, I slap a smile on my face. But before I can say anything to her, Edna-Fanny is rushing over. “Miss Annalise! Come quick, he’s freaking out!”


“Who is?!” She demands. “Show me!” She grabs Edna-Fanny’s hand and allows herself to be pulled out. “Mom!” She shouts over her shoulder and we all follow her out.


REC ROOM


BEN


I take in the situation and it is clear that Hunter is having some form of attack. “Everyone!” I say low and quietly. “Be quiet!” The room goes silent. “Hey, Hunter. Hunter, I need you to look at me, okay? Brian, come here. Right here.”


“Hunter, I know where you have gone but I don’t know why you have gone there. Can you tell me?” Brian asks soothingly, but Hunter shakes his head firmly.


“Okay, can you tell me what happened before you went there?”


“Him. He wo-wouldn’t stop hitting me! I s-said I was sorry, but he wouldn’t stop.” He is trembling.


“Who is him?” I ask.


“Father.” He is trying to get himself into the smallest possible space in the rec room.


“Ben, please move. Hunter, I need you to listen. Nobody is going to hurt you now. Do you remember me? I’m Annalise’s mother, Diana.” He slowly nods. “You said ‘father.’ Whose father?”


“His.” He points at Justin.


“Mine? What did he do?”


“Kept hitting.” He sobs. “He kept hitting.”


“Hunter, I am…”


“No, Justin. Don’t!” Diana orders quietly. “Association by touch, will not help bring him down. And we need to bring him down. Everyone one that is not either Brian, Ben or me please leave.”


NORMAN


Jesus! That was awful! Everyone is quiet as we head back to the hall. “That poor boy... is there something we can do for him?” Some guy asks and I just think lipservice!


“You’re doing what you can by being here.” Annalise says. “We only have room for 40 children. But there are millions of children out there, who simply because they are gay, trans or just not what their parents deem acceptable are cast aside to fend for themselves. If you want to help on a personal level, check out the foster care system. But on a business level, apprenticeships are what’s most needed. They want to learn to take care of themselves so they’re never put in this situation again.”


Ted clears his throat. “Confucius once said, if you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, he eats for life. So teach them to fish. It doesn’t have to be a big thing, but something to build on.”


“What about an automotive internship? I own a garage.” I pipe up.


“Seriously? You would do that? That would be wonderful!” Annalise beams at me. “So what would you offer?”


“I could use someone for basic auto repair and office admin.” I blush at her fulsome praise.


“I could use an office assistant in the paralegal department in my law firm.” A man calls out.


“Okay, we have two! Who else?” Annalise looks round.


Brandon raises his hand. “I haven’t filled my teaching assistant position yet.”


Soon all the so called A-Gays and high falutin society peeps are fighting over themselves to get internships for these kids.


“Wait, what about the girls?!” Lindsay calls out. “I could offer an internship at my boutique. I have always wanted to pass on my extensive knowledge of haute couture!”


“Lindsay, these internship offers are for both sexes, not just the boys. Plenty of girls like working on cars and boys are interested in fashion.” Leda huffs as she gives Lindsay a gimlet eyed stare.


“I am more than aware of that, thank you Leda. And that tone wasn’t at all necessary!” She snaps back, silencing the room.


“No, your tone just now was unnecessary, Lindsay! I apologise on behalf of my fellow council member for her rudeness.” Dusty glares at Lindsay. “As I know she won’t do it herself and if she does, she won’t mean it. Now let’s move on from here and back to the matter in hand. Internships…” Lindsay’s face is a picture of humiliation and fury. “Does your offer to have one of the kids work for you still stand Lindsay, regardless of their sex?”


“Of course.” She replies tightly.


The door opening brings in Diana. “He’s feeling a bit better but Brian and Ben are taking him to YEP to get him settled.” She turns to Justin. “It wasn't your father who attacked him; it was the shouting that triggered the attack.”


“Oh, thanks. Although if it was, I would encourage him to press charges.” Justin asserts.


“So back to the matter in hand...” Lindsay interjects.


“Still all heart, I see.” Leda mutters, but only I hear her and chuckle quietly.


For the next hour, more internships are settled upon.


“What about the Vaseline Tower.” Effy asks.


“What about the what?” Annalise looks confused.


“I was speaking to one of the boys, who was taken to YEP. He was worried about what little he had being stolen. It’s in the Vaseline Tower. Apparently it’s where every homeless kid starts off when they get here…” She trails off embarrassed as everyone is looking at her.


“Where is this place? Did he tell you?” Leda asks.


“Just outside of town, but close enough to the local hotspots.” A kid tells her as he comes out of the other room. “Are you guys serious about helping us with those internships? Or when the press goes, will they go with them?”


“I, for one, am very serious. My name is Gavin Peacock. I run Peacock Real Estates...you have my word and you can quote me on that.”


“Me too.” Drew nods. “We have free sports scholarships, set up via my charitable foundation. Can you take me to this Tower? First thing we do is get those in there into a hotel…”


“Oh Drew.” Emmett sniffles and Drew gives him a shy smile.


“MW Hotels will have availability….”


“How so?” Dusty asks.


“I own the hotel chain. Darling…” He turns to the woman next to him and she just waves him away, already on the phone. “Come on, those who are coming and let’s get them out of there.”


The kid stares and a lone tear slides down his face and he just whispers. “Thank you.”


“Don’t thank us for being human and doing the right thing,” Annalise asserts. “What’s your name, sweetheart?”


“Charlie.” He sniffs, wiping his nose on his sleeve before taking the proffered tissue. “Got kicked out when my stepfather moved in.”


As the men start to follow a still sniffing Charlie, I start to go with them. But Lindsay calls me back, wringing her hands. “The Vaseline Tower is a grim place full of…”


“Which is why we are getting them the fuck out of there!” I rebuke her. “I’ll see you later.”


YEP, PARKING LOT - TWO HOURS LATER


BEN


Hunter and the two other kids, one who turned out to be a girl, are now resting. Kocky looks contemplative. “Have you had any since the last time?” He shakes his head.


“Justin’s was so close to what I used to suffer, but you...”


“That’s what best friends do.” I interrupt with smile and nudge him in the ribs. “Come on. You need a nice wet tongue on you.”


“Huh?” It’s not often I catch him off guard, but this time it is understandable. The nightmares he used to suffer from after the abuse from his dad carried on through college. It was the whimpering and curling up into a fetal position that ripped my guts.


“Moonshine, needs to lick daddy’s face.”


“Yeah, he does. Ben...” He stammers to a halt.


“Come here, Brian.” He’s trembling as I wrap my arms around him. “Breathe through it. It’s not happening anymore, so just breathe through it. Come on, let’s get you home. I’ll call Brandon and reschedule.”


“No, don’t do that. I’ll be…”


“Quiet and get in the car. I’m driving.” I order and he does as he is told.


An hour later, we’re back at the loft in bed, with me spooned behind him, and Moonshine resting on his feet.


VASELINE TOWER


DREW


Jesus, this place is horrendous! It should be condemned and then levelled! The kids look wary, but after Charlie explains that we are really going to help them, they couldn’t gather their meagre things quickly enough.


“Get everyone’s stuff and we’ll make another journey back and wait. Is there a place that you hang out when you’re outside...um…” I trail off.


“Hustling.” He supplies simply. “You gotta do what you gotta do to survive. In answer to your question, the old parking lot is where most of us hang out when being in here gets depressing.  I can’t believe that we’re…”


“Going to a better place now.” I interrupt him. “So come on, let’s restart your life.”


NORMAN AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - 4 HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


LINDSAY


I am still smarting from the treatment by Dusty and Norman suddenly deciding to be a saviour to the homeless! And as for Leda!


“So that’s okay, isn’t it mom?” Gus asks. “Norm has already said yes, but he said to make sure you put it on the calendar.”


“What? I wasn’t listening. I’m concerned for your father.” I look again through the window.


“Why? He’s going to be fine. He may be on the large side…” I snort derisively, but then look apologetic when he frowns at me. “But he can handle himself.”


Handle himself? What kind of phrasing is that? I’ve never heard of it.”


“Self defence mom.” He replies sighing. “So can Effy and I volunteer then?”


“Volunteer for what?”


“You really weren’t listening, were you?” Edna-Fanny sighs. “We’re going to volunteer at YEP once a week. We can help before Gus goes to work in the diner with Hunter.”


“Are you sure that won’t be too much for you, Gus?” He shakes his head. “Let me speak to your fathers about it. I’m not sure that this won’t...”


“Dad’s home.” Gus interrupts and goes to let him in. “Was it really grim?” I hear him ask.


“Yeah, awful. Absolutely awful! But the majority of them are at the hotel now. Some were reluctant to come, but hopefully they will change their minds. Drew is determined to get everyone out of there. Did you tell her about volunteering?”


I have a name, Norman.” I point out. “And I am not sure that this won’t be too…”


“Nonsense. He works the lunch shift on Saturdays for 2 hours, then the rest of the day is free to do what he wants. He, I mean they, want to do this so I said yes. Besides Annalise can do with all the help she can get.”


“Can she now?” I murmur and slowly start to nod. “Okay, they can do it.”


ANNALISE’S RESIDENCE - SUNDAY MORNING


BEDROOM


LEDA


“So…” I take in some much needed air, my body still trembling. “You still mad?”


“What do you think?” She giggles, flicking my nipple. “He’s so adorable! Did I tell you about the ad?”


“You did. So aren’t you curious?” I roll her onto her back.


“About you and Lindsay’s past history?” I nod. “Not really. It’s exactly that... your past. Though she is a strange one. I can’t see her and Mel together at all.”


“Oh, you have no idea how bad it was in real life!” I laugh. “She would walk up the street with Mel, ostentatiously holding hands as if to announce, look at us, we’re dykes!  Always wanted to go to straight bars and to draw attention to herself and Mel. Mel hated it but Lindsay craved, and still craves, attention. Especially from you.”


“Me?” She looks surprised.


“Yes. You are sometimes a touch oblivious to admiring glances.” I chuckle. “From both men and women, Dusty is another fan.”


“I like Dusty. She seems like she’s got a good heart, but just no on the Lindsay front. She may look the way she does but she doesn’t have rock hard abs, brown hair and beautiful long legs…”


“Still can’t believe she’s married to a man. But Norm is a sweetheart.”


“Enough killing my vibe, let me rev your engine again.”


“Oh no, it’s my turn…” I growl.


“Take me.” She orders and I obey...twice!


VIC AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - WEDNESDAY EVENING


MICHAEL


“Uncle Vic!” I call out, storming down the stairs. “Look what your shit-dog has done?!” I wave the sneaker in his face. It has been chewed beyond saving.


Shii-ta-ke, not shit dog.  Now stop waving that in my face, it stinks. So, did you leave your closet or bedroom door open?”


“I shouldn’t have to close off my things; he should be better trained!” I lecture and look expectantly at him.


“What?”


“These were vintage Converse that your dog damaged. So you should replace them.”


“No.” He replies, calmly folding up the newspaper and standing up. “He’s a puppy and you have been told time and time again to close your doors if you don’t want him getting into your things. So now you have finally learned that lesson, right? Well, I am off to the P&P game. That’s puppies and poker to you. See you later.”


I am stupefied as he calmly walks out, but relieved that he takes his fleabag with him. I slump on the sofa and contemplate my ruined sneaker when my eye is caught by the headline on the front page of Pittsburgh Out. I snatch it up and seethe as I read about the event that they went to last weekend and didn’t invite me. Okay, I was busy but the way they are lauding up those who volunteered their services, especially him, is sickening. I need to do something to knock him off his pedestal! Looking at my trainer, I have the perfect idea!


LIBERTY FINE DINING - FRIDAY MORNING


MOLLY


I stare at the two suited men in dismay. “I can assure you that we do not have a vermin problem here.”


“We also have had a report that there is a dog on the premises. In the kitchen, specifically.” The taller of the men continues as if I haven’t spoken.


“Yes, there is a dog present but he’s not allowed in the kit…” I begin to explain.


“Why is he on the premises?” Tall Man demands.


“He’s a therapy dog.” I fix a smile on my face and a happy tone to my voice.


“Well we want to look around and…”


“Where did you say you were from again?” I interrupt him.


“Pest control department.” He replies sharply, squaring his shoulders.


“Yes, but which government office or company? Obviously, I would need to check your credentials.” They exchange looks and I now know, this is a set-up. “So your IDs please.” I hold my hand out and the shorter of the two, clears his throat. “IDs, now.” I repeat.


“Ma’am, as I said, we have had a report of a…”


“This is a new restaurant. Rivals could have sent you. So IDs or leave please.”


“We have the authority to…”


“Not without showing us IDs first, you don’t.” Justin asserts, coming out of the kitchen having originally left me to it. But now, he has his pissed expression on.


“Why make this harder on yourselves? We will only come back.” Short Man tries to step behind the counter.


“Then come back.” I tell him, blocking his path. “Do feel free to bring the police with you, if necessary.”


“Come on, let’s go. You’ll be hear...ouch! Fuck!” Tall Man suddenly yelps and doubles over. “We’re leaving now!!” He gasps and almost crawls out.


“What happened there?” Justin frowns at me as I try to contain my giggles. “Molly, what is it?!”


“I do believe he got caught in his own trap!” I snort and then clear my throat hard. “Sorry Justin, but I saw him putting a mousetrap in his pocket before he came in and I do believe it sprung!”


“Oh, ouch indeed!” He giggles. “Who do you think sent them, hmmm?!” He tilts his to one side and adopts a confused expression.


“No idea, no idea at all!” I snicker.


ALLEYWAY OFF LIBERTY AVENUE


HEATHAN


Stanley is leaning against the wall, taking in some slow breaths. “My Captain, the mission to plant failed. We have sustained injuries and are returning to base for a debrief. Yes, my captain. Don’t worry, we will prevail.” I hang up and rub Stanley’s back, but remove my hand when he glowers at me. “I said sorry.” I point out.


“I told you not to touch me!” He snarls. “Let’s go! The captain will hear of this!”


I roll my eyes behind his back as he limps back to LAFF.


KINNETIC - AN HOUR LATER


JUSTIN


I finally have a chance to catch up with Brian. He was away on business for the last few days. As I come in with Hero trotting eagerly beside me, I smile at the receptionist. “Hi, I know that Brian doesn’t take unscheduled appointments but…”


“He’s free at the moment. Please go on in, Mr Taylor. You know the way, don’t you?” I nod. “Great, Moonshine is in the break room, if you want to leave Hero in there during your meeting.”


I am unsurprised about Moonshine being in the office. As befitting a dog of Brian Kinney, the break room is very luxurious. Moonshine and Hero are very pleased to see each other. I knock on Brian’s door, feeling nervous. “Enter!” He calls out tersely and I begin to regret this idea.


“Hi. You got a minute?” I ask shyly.


“Hey, yeah come in. No Hero?” He smiles when I point to the break room. “Ah I see.”


“You’ve redecorated. I like your wall. Whose office is next door again?” I ask, looking at the glass wall behind him.


“Ted’s. Now enough about boring accountants, to what do I owe this pleasure?” He purrs and I almost feel my knees buckle.


“Um, I wanted to say thank you for talking me down on Saturday.” He waves at the sofa and I sit down. But when he joins me and his leg touches mine, I am taken straight back to his teasing of me on Saturday. “So how thick is the glass?” I ask, getting up. “Can Ted see through to in here?” I cup my hands round my face and peer through.


“No.” His voice is rich and soothing...and right behind me! I keep facing the wall, unsure what to do.


“Oh. Yes, so Saturday, I hope that…”


“Justin, turn around. As lovely as the back of you is, I would rather see your face...for now.” I slowly turn around and fiddle with the cuffs of my coat. “You want to take that off? You look a little hot.”


“I would, thank you.” I murmur and allow him to slide the coat off of me. He throws it across the desk and steps towards me. “How is your hand?”


“Why don’t you check for yourself?” He holds both hands out and I check them carefully. “Do they pass muster?”


“Yeah.” I nod and watch him entwine our fingers then lift my arms over my head. He takes both wrists in one hand and holds them there.


“Problem?” He whispers, leaning in closer.


“No.” I whisper back.


“Oh good.” He groans and then smashes his mouth against mine, while pressing me back against the wall. His other hand is gently holding me round the waist... not that I have any plans to move from him! His tongue is hot and sweet tasting as it chases mine and I can’t help the groan as he slides it in deeper into my mouth. I’m surprised when it is removed swiftly. “No gag reflex...how divine.” He presses his hips against my stomach and I can feel how divine he finds that.


“I…”


“Sssh.” He orders and again claims my mouth. I feel so aroused, it is ridiculous! I tug at my wrists and he lets go. I bury my hands in his hair as he grabs one leg to wrap it round his waist. Slowly, we start to slide to the floor, rubbing against each other. I pull up his shirt to touch his bare skin and get an appreciative moan. He pulls off his jacket to give me better access and pushes his knee between my legs.


BRIAN


We’re in a tangle of limbs on the floor. I am trying to touch as much skin as I can without stripping him naked! I feel his hands, running up my back and then I feel something lick my back and I stop in surprise. He looks puzzled and then between our faces, Hero sticks out his tongue and licks my face. I sit up and find Ted, Blake and Cynthia gawping at us. Moonshine, it turns out was the one that licked my back and has his head cocked to one side as if to ask what you doing?


“He was whimpering.” Ted blathers, going red. “Um, well you’re obviously busy so we’ll leave you to it.”


Cynthia smiles as she puts their leashes on the table before giggling. “That reminds me. Must get red wine and batteries! Thanks for the inspiration.”


I bury my head in Justin’s neck and he starts to laugh so uncontrollably that he gets the hiccups.


“I think we should get un-shevelled and take them for a walk.” He manages to gasp out while giving me a gentle shove.


“I suppose.” I gripe. “Can’t believe we were cock blocked by a couple of canines.” I help him up and reorder his clothes and then do the same for myself.


“Don’t worry. There’ll be another time.” He smirks as he palms my cock then puts on his coat.


Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks