- Text Size +

CHAPTER 12 - NAMING THE CREW AND TAMING THE SHREW

 


COMMITTEE ROOM, GLC - FRIDAY, EARLY AFTERNOON A WEEK LATER

 


TANNIS

 

 

Dusty is also reading Pittsburgh Out. We are particularly pleased with the write up the YEP Fundraiser received. I have to grudgingly admit that Annalise did a spectacular job bringing attention to their plight. Also the owner of Vaseline Tower is being investigated.

 

 

“Tannis!” Belinda Squires stalks into the room, clutching the paper and looking furious. She slams it down in front of me. “Look at that!”

 

 

“Yes, I have just read it. It’s a good article.” I say warily.

 

 

“I said look, not read! Look carefully at those assembled!” She spits. “See anyone there that shouldn’t be?!” I look again and gasp. “Spotted her, did you? I hope you’ve got an explanation out of her, after all the fuss she made.”

 

 

“No I haven’t, but I will.” I declare. “Dusty, did you speak to Lindsay while you were there?”

 

 

She looks up. “Oh yes. I remarked on the recovery of her children and gave her a slap down for being rude to the girlfriend of Annalise. The look on her face was priceless. And you know how she is with Norm, don’t you?” We both nod. “Well he also gave her a slap down for trying to stop him from going to help at the Vaseline Tower. He was the first to volunteer an internship for the kids in the program.”


“How he puts up with her, I don’t know.” Belinda snickers. “Have you been to her boutique?” I shake my head. “Talk about delusions of grandeur. Her latest assistant quit a couple of weeks back and…”


“Pardon?” Dusty does not look happy.


“What? What is it?”


“These internships... she’s asked for two people....”


“Oh, that is so her; just has to have more than anyone else!” I grumble. “But at least that gets two more kids off the streets.”


“Of course, she’s done it for altruistic and philanthropic reasons. The fact that she doesn’t have to pay them has no bearing on the matter whatsoever!” Dusty drawls. “Oh you should’ve seen her face when she realised I was judging. The only thing she didn’t do was stamp her foot.”


“Did she make a passive aggressive statement instead?” Belinda rolls her eyes.


“Oh yes, something about calories...silly bitch!”


“Well that silly bitch left a fundraiser shorthanded. So words have to be had.” Belinda decides and then picks up the paper. “Shall we, ladies?” We nod and dutifully follow her out.


CHIQUE BOUTIQUE, HOME OF SARTORIAL PERFECTION - 30 MINUTES LATER


TANNIS


“Oh, you have to be kidding?!” I gasp as I read the name for the 2nd time. “That’s not at all pretentious, is it?!”


“No, of course not.” Belinda grimaces and peers through the window. “Oh maybe I was wrong about the assistant.”


“What do you mean?” Dusty frowns.


“She’s ordering some poor girl about. We should come back and…”


“Oh for fuck sake!” Dusty snarls as she looks through the window. “That’s one of the YEP residents. The internships don’t start for another week! Annalise wanted them to rest properly.”


“Then how is she there now?!” Belinda demands.


“Time to find out!” Dusty starts to enter, but I stop her.


“Let’s check with Annalise first. She may have said she could.” They both nod and I place the call to Annalise, who’s as surprised as we are. “Okay, so we can pull her out of there and get her back to YEP? Okay Annalise, thanks.”


Belinda is grim faced as she opens the door.


LINDSAY


“Belinda, Tannis, oh and Dusty, hello! What are you doing in my humble emporium?”


“Lindsay.” Belinda clips out. “Who are you, my dear?” She turns to the young girl.


“Odette.” She gives a shy smile.


“Well Odette, I am Belinda Squires. It is nice to meet you. However, could you gather your things and wait outside for a moment or two?” She looks panic stricken and I’m surprised at her highhandedness. “All will be explained, Lindsay. Now Odette, don’t worry my dear, you haven’t done anything wrong. You’re just being taken back to YEP, that’s all.”


“Okay then. Bye, Lindsay.” She is out quickly.


“What is the meaning of that?!” I demand.


“You should not have her working now. They are all on a two week rest programme, while they are oriented back into society. Why was she interning now?”


I have to think quickly. Knowing Belinda and Tannis, they would make sure all their ducks were in a row before shooting. “I thought it would be nice for her to…”


“Nothing to do with the free labor since you’re assistant-less after your last one walked out?”


“She did not walk out! We came to a mutually beneficial decision to…”


“She told you to fuck off and that your clothes are skanky knock-offs!” Belinda interrupts sharply. “She has a point. However, this visit was not because of that. You bailed out of our fundraiser, citing illness of your children but went to the YEP Fundraiser…”


“Oh Dusty, you are truly…”


“Be careful, Lindsay!” Dusty snaps. “Your presence at YEP was your choice. And it was because of your wish to climb back up the society ladder, that you were caught.”


“What are you blathering on about? Ouch!” I wince as the paper is shoved into my chest.


“Look at page 4.” Belinda orders and once I do, I sigh heavily.


“Belinda…”


“You are off my committee with immediate effect. And I would caution against another word, unless you wish to be removed from the GLC in its entirety! Now ladies, let us take our leave of this place. Although, being here has reminded me of the need to sort my wardrobe for goodwill.”


They leave me, mouth agape in fury.


OUTSIDE LAFF - AN HOUR LATER


HUNTER


Gus and I exchange incredulous looks. “Did he really just call him that?” He just nods, too shocked to speak. I like Gus. Over the last few days, he’s come to YEP after school just to talk. He and Effy are really kind. We just bumped into each other, but the door to LAFF was opened a bit and we got nosy.


“He really is full of himself.” Gus finally is able to speak. “Uncle Vic said he bitched about Shiitake chewing his Vintage Converse. Vintage my ass! And he wanted Uncle Vic to replace them but he said no.”


“He’s a puppy; puppies chew things!” I grumble. “Vic should really check to make sure he’s not caught anything from that.”


We walk towards LFD, as we’ve taken to calling it, as we’ve got a tasting this afternoon and Effy is most annoyed as she doesn’t have a free period like last time. When we get there, the first thing that hits us is the smell. “What’s that? Fuck, it looks wonderful.” I drool.


“Deep fried lobster and king crab spring rolls with Asian salad and citrus dipping sauce.” Justin replies, cutting it half.


Lobster and...let me at it!” I demand and it is absolutely gorgeous.


“So how many per plate?” He asks, smiling at the expressions on our faces.


“Three if it is just one person and four if it’s for sharing. Fine Dining only, right?”


“Yes, they are such a fiddle to make. And maybe only once a week, whereas the Reuben is an everyday thing, but still limited.” Justin declares.


“Perfect. So can we finish them?” Gus looks hopefully at the plate and grabs the biggest half before I can.


“Hey!” I object, but he jams the entire thing in his mouth happily. “You meathead!” I cuss him.


“Oh, that reminds me!” Gus exclaims when he finishes chewing. “You know that Michael hangs around LAFF with his friends?”


“Yeah, the Unfuckables is what Vic calls them.” Justin snickers.


“Unfuck...wow!” I laugh.


“Well we heard them having a team meeting in there.” Gus pauses with a smile. “Do you know what they call him?”


“Oh let me tell him? After all, you had the bigger half!” I object and he bows down theatrically giving me the floor. “Captain Liberty.


“Pardon?”


“Captain Liberty. And I’ve been thinking that he should be more appropriately named Captain Mouthyass and they are his Eunuchs of Liberty or maybe the Moronic Ugly Meatheads.”


“Who are you talking about?” Miley demands as he comes in.


“Michael and his band of friends.” Justin manages to get out between giggles.


“Oh them!” He rolls his eyes. “Never has anything been so pathetic for grown ass men. I mean I can understand Michael just because he’s a perpetual child and is stuck in Neverland. But for the rest, they work in the real world. So for them to play along with him is just plain stupid. Well apart from Heathen as he’s got the hots for Michael…”


“Ugh-ick-sick!” Gus exclaims, shuddering. “Picked that up from Effy.” He explains as we gape at him.


“So back to Captain Mouthyass’s Minions” Miley smiles evilly. “You want to know what Cyril and I call them.


“Yes!” We chorus.


“Heathen is First Mate Vermin; Albert is Ensign Scarlet Pimpleneck...seriously do something about that neck, it’s an erogenous zone for fuck sake. Stanley is Lieutenant Spider Merkin and finally Royston is Ensign GetsnoRogering.”



It takes a good 20 minutes for us to stop laughing!


DREW’S MANSION - SATURDAY MORNING


EMMETT


I look at Princess Daisy once more and know in my heart that this is the right thing to do. I remember the conversation with Justin after the fundraiser and he told me what Drew said at the centre and what he did for me. I take a deep breath and march up the path with her in my arms.


“Time to man up, Mister!” I tell myself.


I knock on the door and it is opened by Jenson, his butler. “Mr Emmett, how lovely to see you again! Come in, come in!” He enthuses.


“Jenson, nice to see you too. I take it, he’s in.”


“Yes, shall I announce you?”


“No, this won’t take long. Where is he?”


“Playing pool.” His face falls slightly. “Please come and say goodbye before you leave.”


“I will, I promise.”


GAMES ROOM


He’s bent over the table and pots the ball perfectly. It takes a few minutes for him to realise that I am standing there and he stands up, looking uncertain.


“Emmett! What are you…” He begins, putting the cue on the table.


“I can’t.” I state firmly. “And I won’t so I don’t!” I push Princess Daisy into his arms and take that opportunity of his surprise to his kiss him firmly.


After a couple of minutes, I lift my mouth off of his and smile at his confused and relieved expression. “So what I meant was I can’t believe you outed yourself to save me. I won’t ever forget what you did for those kiddies and I don’t want to resist you anymore. So let’s start again, shall we? Full disclosure and if…”


“I love you. You’re it for me.” He puts a squirming Princess Daisy down. She sits and looks at us with approval! “Nobody else, but you.”


“Good. Now I have to go…”


“Why?” His face falls like Jenson’s did.


“We need our overnight things, don’t we?” I smile at him.

 

“Yes!” He grins. “You most certainly do!”

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks