- Text Size +

CHAPTER 14 - BEING THRIFTY, CHANGING GEARS AND BEING MUSCLED OUT


CHIC BOUTIQUE - WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON


LINDSAY


I drum my fingers on the counter as quietly as I can as the woman in the hassock style dress thumbs slowly through my stock. I am rather keen to close up early so that I can go to the GLC and plead my case for reinstatement to Belinda’s committee.


“I’ll just take this, thank you.” She places a scarf on the counter. I hide my irritation and ring it up and she frowns. “Oh I thought it was 50% off, it was in that rack.”


“No, this is full price, so it would be $35, which is quite cheap for silk.” I smile as sweetly as I can.


“Last season’s silk though...” She scrutinises it again. “No. On second thoughts, I’ll leave it. Bye now.”


“Good afternoon.” I grind out and roll my eyes at her exit.


This is why I need two interns: one for stock control and the other to serve the sometimes great unwashed of this fucking burgh! I see someone coming to the door but manage to flip the closed sign. However, she manages to stop me from locking the door.


“Could you stay open for a couple more minutes?!” She gasps. “Won’t be long, I promise!”


“What exactly is it you are looking for? I need to do some stocktaking, you see.” I explain.


“Oh we’re not looking; we’re delivering! Come on girls, hurry!”


“Delivering?”


“Yes, this is the goodwill shop, isn’t it?” She asks over her shoulder as she gestures to a group of about five women, all carrying some bags.


“Uh…” I am so surprised by that comment that I allow myself to be pushed back and the door opened wider.


“Oh my, this has got to be one of the nicest and smartest goodwill shops I’ve ever been to. My name is Melinda Banks, and am new to the area. And these are also my committee friends, Abigail Johnston, Naomi Mickleston, Theresa Andrew-Johnson and Catherine March.” She smiles at me. “And you are?”


“Lindsay Peterson-Fu...Lindsay Peterson. But this is not…”


“Nice to meet you, Lindsay. Can we leave these with you?” This presumptuous woman asks me and I am about to tell her where to stick her stock when I spot something in the bag and decide to keep my mouth shut. If I am not mistaken that is an YSL jacket!


“But…” I protest weakly.


“Right gals, we must go. We have to meet those people from the GLC, don’t we?” She sighs.


“The GLC?” I query.


“Yes the gay and lesbian centre...” She regards me for a while. “Worthy people with their hearts in the right place, but I think there is enough room in this ‘burgh for the two groups to co-exist.”


“What group are you with exactly?” I ask.


“The MLCWC...short for Modern Lesbians Christian Women's Council. We welcome all women, lesbian or not. We’re all straight actually…”


“Why would you need to co-exist? Why not just join?” I frown.


“We’re a select group, focusing on the religious side of life. We’re all for live and let live, but there has to be a balance. Right, now we really must go Lindsay. Maybe we will see you around. Toodles!” She trills.


I shut and lock the door behind the last of them then dive into the bag with the jacket in it. “I tried to correct her.” I chuckle to myself. “Wonder what else is in here?”


Two hours later, I have almost two bags of wonderful pieces for myself and have replaced some of my stock with their donations...and mark them as pre-owned!


LAFF - THURSDAY LUNCHTIME


MICHAEL


I HATE THIS JOB! This will be the 3rd day I have pulled a double shift. But instead of being in my usual position of assistant manager and overseeing the severs, because of my face, Cyril has got me working in the back doing inventory and cleaning out the fridge, the freezer and all kinds of other shit!


“I couldn’t believe it!” I hear someone gasp as I head to do another behind the scenes shit job! “I thought Kinney had given that up?! But no, there he was in his car going at it in broad daylight!”


“Kinney? As in The Stud?” His companion asks. “And when you say going at it, what do you mean?”


“Not that! He was making out.”


“Kinney? Was making out in the proper sense of the action?”


“Yes! No idea who it was. But judging by the steam fogging up the windows, they had been at it a while. That grin on his face when he adjusted his seat and wiped down his side of the windows…”


“Michael, what are you doing?” Cyril demands.


“Just…”


“Eavesdropping?” He snarks. “The fridge stock is not going to bring itself in.”


I sigh and head outside...but smile to myself because The Stud is back!


INSIDE OF BRIAN’S CAR


BRIAN


I am so glad this is an automatic! I leer down at a squirming Justin as I change his gears while he mewls like a kitten and arches his back.


“Oh God!” He whimpers. “Brian...please! You must st…!”


“Almost there…” I growl and ignore his feeble attempt to stop me. “Almost.”


“Can-can’t hold off anymore!” He pants.


“Then don’t.” I lean down as we come up to the lights and nuzzle his nose.


“Unh!” He yelps as he comes just as the lights go green.


“There, now that should set you up for the rest of the day!” I smirk and lick my fingers. “I do like the taste of fresh cream first thing in the morning.” He just stares at me before he cleans up as best as he can. “But do feel free to call me to rev your engine again should you feel the need.”


“You’re lucky that Hero likes you.” He grumbles as he puts himself back inside his pants. “Or I would sic him on you!”


“Get out and make some wonderful food. Oh by the way, what time do you finish tomorrow?”


“About eight. Why?”


“I’ll be round later after nine then. I’ll cook you dinner.” I wink at him and swiftly take off. When I look in the mirror, he is still standing there with his mouth open.


NORM AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - FRIDAY, LATE AFTERNOON


KITCHEN


NORM


I pour off the rest of the coffee that she made and sigh. She has done nothing but bitch about being tossed off whatever committee she was on. Naturally, she completely forgets her own actions were the cause. The thing that is getting to me is why she needs two interns. I reach for my phone.


“Hey Ted, it’s Norm. I’m not disturbing you, am I? Oh great. Look, can you do me a favour and do an audit on Lindsay’s store? We own it jointly, but she runs it. The only thing we don’t own jointly is the house. Thanks Ted.”


YEP, SHADYSIDE - 30 MINUTES LATER


REC ROOM


ANNALISE


Those who wanted to let their families know they are alive have done so and now there are 25 teens in the rec room, looking at Charlie and nodding in encouragement.


“Are you serious?” He looks at my mom. “You want me, as in me, to be a junior counsellor?”


“Yes, I do.” She smiles. “You have a very calm and reassuring manner and without you, half of these kids would still be in that hideous place. So what do you say?”


“I haven’t got a suit.” He mumbles.


“I will buy you a suit.” Drew tells him firmly.


“Okay.” He mumbles and then starts to grin. “Wow, me a counsellor.”


I look around at my hastily-on-that-day assembled board, of Drew, Mom, Leda, Blake, Marcus Wilberforce of MW Hotels, Gavin Peacock of Peacock Real Estate and smile. The only person missing is Norman. “Okay, anybody else?” I call out.


Slowly a hand at the back comes up. It’s Odette, the young girl that Lindsay attempted to take early. “Yes, Odette.”


“I don’t want to work in that shop.” She rushes out. “But I do like, well I did like, to cook.”


“Maybe Justin could take you on as sous chef?” I look across at Emmett, but he’s shaking his head. “Why not?”


“There’s just about room for him and Molly in there.” He replies. “The Health and Safety Commission would have a field day.”


Her shoulders slump in disappointment, but then Vic clears his throat. “I know a place where she could handle food and I know for a fact they are looking for someone.”


“Where?” Leda demands.


“LAFF.” He smiles.


“You think Cyril would…”


“Let me call him. They are really short-handed there since Miley left.”


“Wait Vic, Odette, come with me. Emmy, you and Vic too.” I order and lead them to the kitchen and her face lights up.


“A simple three egg omelette.” Emmy tells her and ten minutes later, she’s looking relieved as Vic and Emmy nod approvingly.


“Hey Cyril. It’s me Vic.” He beckons Odette to follow him. “Am coming over now. I think I have found the solution to your staffing problem.”


KINNETIC - BOARD ROOM


BEN


Effy is looking, understandably, pleased with herself. She has come on leaps and bounds in her signing. “Uncle Ben, did you get your dog?” She asks, gathering her things.


“Pardon?” I frown at her.


“Uncle Brian said when everyone else got their dog that yours hasn’t come yet so I just wondered when it was coming.”


“Unfortunately, I can’t have a dog in the place I’m going to live in when I move out of Uncle Brian’s place.”


“Oh, that’s a shame. But you can share Moonshine with me and Uncle Brian, can’t you? Would you like to do that?”


“Yes, very much so.” I smile down at this angelic little lady, who quite frankly is all her father!


“I have another question.” She looks up at me shyly and I nod. “Mr Brandon…”


“Yes, what about him?”


“He was looking at you funny at the poker game on Wednesday.”


“He was?” I take her hand and lead her back to the car.


“Not bad funny...good funny. So...um, do you like him?”


“He’s a nice man, so yeah. I like him.”


“Good, because he likes you, too.” She grins up at me. “I asked him.”


“Effy! What did he say?” I laugh.


“That you are a very handsome and thoughtful man.”


“He did?” I feel a frisson of delight.


“Yes. And he had the same goofy smile on his face like you do now when he said it.” She grins impishly at me as she does up her seat belt.


“I do not do goofy.” I protest, laughing.


“You do. I’m a geek and I know goofy when I see it... and that is goofy.” She snickers.


“Let’s go pick up Gus, you little devil!”


LAFF - AN HOUR LATER


KITCHEN


CYRIL


Heathan and Michael are looking dubious. “What is it that she’s going to be doing if she is hired?” Michael demands.


“Whatever role I see fit. She could be on the grill, cashier…”


“As long as she’s not assistant manager, then that’s fine!” He retorts.


“As I said, whatever position I see fit.” I repeat firmly.


“Where did you find her?” He whispers as Odette looks round the place, running her fingers over the table tops and tisking. “She looks like she’s crawled out of a dumpster.”


“This from a man, who looks like he has gone a few rounds with a weed whacker!” She rebukes him.


“Oh very good!” I laugh.


“I am the assistant manager! So you will treat me with the respect I deserve for a person in…”


“Respect is earned, not a god given right. And for someone of such authority, you clearly have no pride in yourself or your work. These tables are dirty, there are crumbs underneath the counter and whoever is stocking the fridge clearly has no idea what they are doing since they have put the oldest food at the back, which is obviously going to go rotten first! Don’t you know how to do a simple stock check? That is one of the duties of the assistant manager, is it not?”


“What?!” I demand while stalking to the fridges, wrenching the doors open. “Michael!”


“What?!” He barks back. “What difference does it make?!”


“We have to use the oldest food first!” I shout at him.


MICHAEL


I have had enough! “So what do you want me to do about it?!”


“Stock the fridge properly for a start! I can’t believe you did that!”


“I have always done it that way. Nobody has complained before!” I snarl back.


“You have always done it like this?!” He looks aghast.


“Um Michael, perhaps you shouldn’t have…” Heathan interrupts.


“If you want that sorted out then get her to do it since she knows so fucking much!” I bark out.


“Fine!” Cyril snaps. “Odette with me and Heathan, if you want to continue to work here, I suggest you get back to your station immediately!”


I watch Heathan scurry away and glare at Cyril.


“Goodbye Michael.” Cyril sneers. “And good luck with everything!”


VIC AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


VIC


I look up as the door opens and in comes Michael. “What’s got you smiling?” I ask as he comes into the lounge.


“I told Cyril off today. I was sick and tired of being treated like a leper when I’m the assistant manager with just a few scratches on my face! And…”


“How’d that work out for you?”


“What do you mean?”


“What do I mean? When he said good luck with everything, what did you think he meant?” I watch the thoughts flit across his face, until it finally hits him. “Yes...ah you’ve just caught that, have you?” I snap. “Of all the stupid things to do…! Well, what are you going to do for money? Because let me assure you that I am not going to support a grown man, who had a temper tantrum because he was caught not doing his job properly!”


“But...but...Uncle Vic! You’ve got to help me get my job back!” He wails.


“Oh no, you need to do that! And I would do it now, if I were you!”


I watch him scramble for his phone and then pace, glaring malevolently at Shiitake, as if all of this is his fault for Michael’s continued stupidity!


“Cyril, hi! It’s Michael Novot...yeah about earlier, I thought it was pretty funny when I...but I wasn’t serious! Oh, you were? But I need this job! Please Cyril, can you reconsider? We both were...oh you will! Thank you Cyril, thank you!” He hangs up looking triumphant. “Everything is just fine, just fine.”


“Of course it is Michael, of course it is!” I shake my head in despair as he goes up to his room.


BRANDON’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


BRANDON


I frown as the door knocks as I am not expecting anyone. I am pleasantly surprised when I open it and it’s Ben. “Uh hey, did we plan on meeting today?”


“No. May I come in?” He looks serious.


“Sure, come on through.” I lead him to the lounge and indicate he should sit, but he shakes his head. “What’s wrong?”


“I can’t understand why you would say such a thing.” He states quietly.


“What a thing?” I try to wrack my brains as to what I could’ve said to upset him.


“That I am a handsome and thoughtful man which you said to Effy, but not to me.” He husks as he steps closer. “I mean it’s only children that say things behind other people’s back and you’re not a child, are you?”


“No, I am definitely not a child.”


“And there’s more. Apparently, as well as thinking that I am handsome and thoughtful, you also like me and get goofy when you say that.” He wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me closer. We are only a hair’s breadth away from each other. “And apparently so do I when I said that about you.” He nuzzles my nose and licks my top lip.


“Mmm, good to know that we like each other.” I murmur, returning the nuzzling and licking favour as he gives a lazy smile of approval. “But there’s just one tiny thing...”


“What’s that?” He pushes my hair behind my ears. “You have the most incredible bone structure...a most handsome man.”


“Thanks.” I kiss him softly and slowly we melt into each other’s arms. He tugs on my hair and smiles at me. “So the thing is…”


“You never said that to Effy?”


“No, I didn’t.” I chuckle and he just shakes his head.


“I said she was a devil!”


“With an angel’s heart.” I whisper into his ear. “It would be a shame for her hard work to be for naught, wouldn’t it?”


“Lead the way.” He whispers back.


LAFF - SATURDAY LATE MORNING


MICHAEL


When I get there, the woman from yesterday is standing by the door. “Problem?” I ask, taking particular pleasure in startling her.


“No, of course not. Well not for me, but for you.”


“And why would I have a problem?” My tone is laced with boredom.


“Well you are going to be cleaning the windows and it looks like they haven’t been done for a while.”


“I do not do windows!” I snap, but she keeps checking them carefully. So I tap her hard on the shoulder. She turns to me with a lethal stare. “I said I don’t do windows!


You do whatever I, as the temporary assistant manager, tell you to do.” She taps the badge for emphasis and my guts drop to the floor. “So the windows first and then we shall restock the fridge properly. Between us, Cyril and I managed to do one last night, but the other two still need to be done.”


“I-if you’re the temporary assistant manager, then what am I?”


“The gofer…”


“Gofer?” I repeat.


“Yes. You know, go for this or go for that? Case in point, go for a bucket of water and a cloth...the windows aren’t going to clean themselves.”


THE OLD CHURCH HOUSE - SATURDAY EVENING


LOUNGE


JUSTIN


It’s well after nine, I guess he’s not coming! Well, I hope he’s okay so I can bitch slap and then ignore him for standing me up. I stare into the fireplace, feeling a bit used.


“Why so sad?”


“Oh for fuck sake!” I scream as I leap up from the floor where I had sunk into a funk. “Where did you spring from?”


“I didn’t spring from anywhere!” He laughs. “Molly left the door open for me and I’ve been watching you plotting my demise ever since!”


“I have not!” I object.


“Then look me in the eyes and say that.” I keep my eyes rooted to the floor. “My eyes are up here, Justin.”


“You wouldn’t have been totally dead...just maimed a bit.” I mutter.


“Anything important that would’ve been rendered inoperable?” I shake my head and feel his finger under my chin, gently stroking it. “Justin, I wasn’t going to stand you up. I just got a little caught up and lost track of time. I should’ve called, but I figured I would get here and explain. Okay?”


“Okay.” I mumble, embarrassed.


“So the kitchen?” He prompts and I lead him to it. “Nice, very nice.”


“What you cooking?” I ask, looking at the cool bag that he has yet to set down. Silence. I look up and he just pulls me towards him by my jumper. “Are you always this…”


“Yes.” He smirks. “But only with people I want to be always this with.”


“What exactly is this?” I ask quietly. “After what happened in the car yesterday…”


“Yes. Did you not like it? You sounded like you did.”


“Yes, of course I did. Who wouldn’t? But I don’t know where you want this to go afterwards.”


He sighs and puts the bag down. “So we’re having this conversation now?”


“Yes, because I would rather we do that than we do something, like what we did in the car, and I end up feeling…”


“Used?” He suggests.


“Well yeah.”


“Okay, here’s the thing. I have only loved one man all of my life ever since I met him and I will never stop loving him.” He gives a small smile.


“Ben?”


“Yes Ben, but I love him like a brother. That’s not how I want to feel about you.”


“Oh?”


“I’m not saying that I love you at this moment, but I do like you a great deal. Can that be enough for now?”


“Yes and ditto.”


“Ditto? What the hell is ditto?”


“Don’t tell me you’ve not seen Ghost?” I look suitably scandalised.


“Excuse me! I blew my first wad because of him, thank you very much!”


I clap my hand over his mouth. “Do not say anymore about you blowing wads please! You promise?” He nods and I slowly peel my hand away from his mouth. “So what is in the cool bag that you are going to feed me that is a food based item.” I choose my words carefully, much to his amusement.


“Cock-a-leekie soup to start, followed by roasted rack of lamb with carrot salad and then strawberry champagne jelly to finish.”


“You’ve cooked this?!” I gasp.


“Yep…. well prepared most of it.” He puts the bag on the counter and starts to take out the bounty of the county. “I just need to cook the lamb off...why are you looking so surprised?”


“You said you couldn’t cook!” I exclaim as I raid the tubs to make sure he’s not messing with me.


“Nope. I said I couldn’t cook a roast chicken very well, not that I can’t cook. At the risk of ar....” I shut him up with a kiss. “What was that for?”


“It’s my favourite cut of lamb. Not many people know that. In fact, there is only one person who knows that...and that’s me.”


He grins down at me. “But I slept with you, in your bed, with you in my arms and…” He pauses for dramatic effect. “...you recite food recipes in your sleep.”


“Oh god, how embarrassing!” I wail into my hands.


“It’s not. It just shows you are passionate about food and what you do. There’s nothing wrong with that.” He pulls my hands from my face. “Now come on and open the wine.”


“Yes, Chef!” I giggle and reach for the corkscrew.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks