- Text Size +

CHAPTER 2 - HOMECOMING PART 2

 

 

 

MOLLY

 

 

 

I smile at Gus and shake his proffered hand...gotta admire his confidence! “Can you vouch for him?” I ask Kiki and she grins.

 

 

 

“He’s the kid of the Stud of Liberty Avenue so yeah, I can!”

 

 

 

“The Stud of…” I begin and wonder where Gus is disappearing too. “Um, where are you going?”

 

 

 

“Oh sorry, force of habit! My grandma used to work here and I wanted to see what you had done with the kitchen.”

 

 

 

“Your grandma?” I question.

 

 

 

“Debs Horvath nee Grassi or Novotny depending on the day.” Kiki chuckles. “She virtually brought Brian, his dad, up. He went to school with her son, Michael.”

 

 

 

“Oh okay, but what’s that look for?” I ask.

 

 

 

“Not a fan of her son at all. Always expects too much, but never gives enough to deserve it.” Miley explains, sourly. “Five night shifts I had to work because of various emergencies/illnesses that came up!”

 

 

 

“Yikes! Justin would not like that! He’s a very hard, but fair taskmaster.”

 

 

 

“Since Debs moved away, he’s gotten worse. Vic means well, but he doesn’t have the toughness that Debs had. He uses the I don’t have a father and now Ma’s left me excuse every damn time!” Kiki grumbles. “But enough about that and him! When do we start? I need time to rustle up my dress!”

 

 

 

“Well Justin will be here on Monday. He’s going to do about 10 days of testing before we open the weekend after next.”

 

 

 

“No offense doll, but how old are you? You are a little young to be having a business…”

 

 

 

“I’m 22 and Justin is 25. We...uh, came into some money and he’s always loved to cook. So when this place came up for purchase, we leapt at it. It helped us to move round here, too. We’ve bought the old church off Tremont and we’re finally ready to move in.”

 

 

 

“Oh my! Things just got interesting! Working for the enemy, eh Gus?!” Miley laughs.

 

 

 

“Sorry, what?” I ask.

 

 

 

“His dad wanted to buy it, but got outbid. He’s not that much of a sore loser!” Kiki chuckles but when I frown, she’s quick to pat my hand. “No honey, honest. He’s a great guy, once you get past all of that bluff and bluster.”

 

 

 

“Okay.” I say, uncertainly.

 

 

 

“Right, come on, my Miley. You’re with me. I need help with my measurements!”

 

 

 

“Oh, I suppose so!” He grumbles good-naturedly.

 

 

 

“Once it’s cut and sewn, I shall bring the outfit in for approval.”

 

 

 

“Thanks!” I grin as they go out arm in arm, chattering excitedly about dress patterns.

 

 

 

“You need me to help with anything, boss?” Gus smiles at me.

 

 

 

“Well, if you happen to know someone we could go to for advertising ideas that would be really great. I mean, word of mouth is one thing, but that will only take you so far. Justin’s food is incredible and I’m not just saying that because he’s my brother.”

 

 

 

“I know someone who can help with the food approval. You get him on board and you get the best advertiser in Pittsburgh. But let me speak to my friend, first.”

 

 

 

“Okay! Want to see the kitchen?”

 

 

 

“Oh yeah! Wasn’t allowed back here through fear of getting botulism or something. The prior chef was not the greatest or cleanest!” He shudders for emphasis.

 

 

 

THE LOFT

 

 

 

KITCHEN

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

“What the fuck is that shit?!” I look at the sludge he has in his glass. “Tell me that wasn’t in my fridge?!”

 

 

 

“No, oh precious one, it wasn’t!” He retorts, flicking a tea towel at me. “So where we going today, then?”

 

 

 

“I shall show you the daytime points of interest. One of which is Kinnetic and Emmy’s Food. Kinnetic first, then CG and then to LAFF for…”

 

 

 

“Laugh?” He looks confused.

 

 

 

“Spelt L-A-F-F, stands for Liberty Avenue Fast Food. The food is not too bad, though it’s still a shame about the diner.”

 

 

 

“Are you seeing Gus this weekend?”

 

 

 

“Yeah, tomorrow. Going to pick him up at his mother’s. Want to come with? You can see how the mighty has fallen!” I snicker.

 

 

 

I know I shouldn’t be mean about Lindsay's’ life as it is now, but she brought it on herself. Not that I would change having Sonny Boy as he is my world. But everything else she’s done, has backfired on her. She refused to have an abortion and I refused to be forced into a shotgun marriage to her, much to the annoyance of my parents and hers. Especially when I decided to come out at the same time! Then, in a last ditch effort to save face or be shipped off to some distant spinster aunt, Lindsay brought home her parents’ worst nightmare! An overweight mechanic with a lisp, who most definitely didn’t fit in with the cunt-ry club set! She only did it because it would annoy her parents but then at 20, she got pregnant by him and that was it. She was married off to him and they gave him enough money to set up his garage and for her to buy a boutique. That was the last they saw of her parents. I feel sorry for Edna-Fanny, first for the name - jeez what was she thinking - and secondly, Lindsay is trying to make her into a mini version of herself. One stuck up, but broke former-debutante is enough!

 

 

 

“Did she ever find out about you and me?” He asks, smirking.

 

 

 

“Nah. She knows I went running when I woke up but not to who or where! If she starts being a bitch again, I might drop that nugget of information in her ear.”

 

 

 

“What do you mean bitch again?” He demands. “She milked you dry in college. You didn’t have to pay a dime, but you did the decent thing!”

 

 

 

“Cool it, Bucks. She wanted me to do some free advertising for her boutique and her husband’s garage, but I said no. So she tried to stop Gus from coming round for a spell until she realised that he was climbing out the window and coming to see me anyway! Now come and see what my Sonny Boy stands to inherit...well work his way up from post boy to inherit!”

 

 

 

“You are a bastard, you know that Kocky?!” He laughs and I am so pleased my best friend is back in Pittsburgh.

 

 

 

LAFF - THREE HOURS LATER

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

At least Ted and Emmett are here, so I have someone to talk to. This place is dead on a Saturday afternoon. Everyone is either getting ready to go out or recovering from the night before. I was really pissed when I saw how the bathrooms were this morning! Miley could’ve cleaned them instead of leaving them for me.

 

 

 

I sigh and think of how my life was before that snotty Andrew took over as joint manager at the Big Q. Life was good! I was in my element, able to boss people around and test the stock when they came in. I was in the basement so much that I moved my desk down there. But then Andrew couldn’t understand why I wasn’t more of a presence on the floor in the office near customer services. As the customer needs to be reassured that there is a manager to immediately tend to their needs! It was fine for a while, but I missed my freedom and my stocktaking began to get noticed. Yeah right... more like he told them! I was warned, but didn’t think in a million years, they would fire me! I had been there for years!

 

 

 

Then on top of that Ma moved to help Carl look after his aged mother. So I was jobless, about to be homeless as my flatmate wanted someone who could pay their rent and it was only through Uncle Vic that those two didn’t stay that way.  Ma was going to sell the house, but he moved in and I moved in with him. He also knows Cyril from the good ole days and got me this job.

 

 

 

I’m surprised to see Gus coming in and he heads straight to their table.

 

 

 

“I’m going to take my break now!” I tell Cyril and he nods curtly. He’s still pissed at me for getting shit on his shoes this morning. It’s not my fault he stood so close!

 

 

 

“What are you doing here, Gus?” I ask as I sit down.

 

 

 

“Yes, Sonny Boy, what exactly are you doing here? Thought I was seeing you to…”

 

 

 

“Uncle Ben!” He shouts, leaping into Ben’s arms.

 

 

 

“It’s okay, it’s only me. You know, your father. You did spring from my considerable loins and all!”

 

 

 

“Dad!” “Kocky!” Gus and Ben shout together, but he just grins.

 

 

 

“Seriously, what are you doing here? You okay?”

 

 

 

“Fine. I got a job!” He declares, excitedly.

 

 

 

“Where? Is this going to…”

 

 

 

“No dad, it’s not going to interfere with my schooling. It’s only on Saturdays, during the day.”

 

 

 

“Okay. So where is it?”

 

 

 

“Where else? The former haven that was Liberty Diner. As a busboy. They’re still looking for people, too!”

 

 

 

“They’ve found someone for that place?!” Emmett pouts. “If only I had the capital, and he wasn’t such a sleazy ass over Kiki, I would’ve jumped at it. But I refused to line his pockets!”

 

 

 

“Taking principle lessons from me...I’m honoured!” Brian drawls.

 

 

 

“I don’t really see what he did that was so wrong. He just asked Kiki to dress appropriately.” I add.

 

 

 

“But it was the way he asked and the fact that he waited for Debs to retire because he knew she would raise shit. And you’re hardly one to say anything regarding appropriate behavior, aren’t you?” Ted snickers.

 

 

 

“Anyway, Auntie Ems, can you come and meet them?” Gus asks.

 

 

 

“Who’s them?” He asks.

 

 

 

“The new owners. Molly and Justin, though I didn’t meet Justin yet. But if their tastes in shirts is anything to go by, the food is going to be great!” He pulls out a shirt and shows it to them and I would wear that on a night out! “You should see the place; it’s fantastic! They’ve split it into two parts. One side is going to do fine dining and the other is going for food porn...”

 

 

 

“Food porn?” Emmett repeats and starts to gather his things. “Come on, let’s go!” He orders.

 

 

 

“He hears porn, he’s out the door!” Ted laughs. “Actually, my curiosity is getting the better of me. I’m coming, too!”

 

 

 

I start to get up to join them, but then Cyril clears his throat. “Your lunch is over, Michael. And we have a queue....”

 

 

 

As I trudge back behind the counter, I decide to go and see this Molly person after my shift. She will surely want to hire the son of the legend that is Debs Novotny!

 

 

 

LIBERTY AVENUE FINE DINING - FORTY MINUTES LATER

 

 

 

EMMETT

 

 

 

“So Miss Molly, when exactly is your brother in town?” I am looking at the menu they have drawn up and I have to say I am impressed!

 

 

 

“On Monday and like I said to Gus, he’s recipe testing for ten days before we open.”

 

 

 

“Hmmm. Honey, this Chef’s Special... what is it?”

 

 

 

“Duck confit Reuben.”

 

 

 

Instant silence!

 

 

 

“Did you say Duck Confit Reuben?” Gus demands, snatching the menu out of my hands and almost giving me paper cuts.

 

 

 

“Yes.” She sighs. “He makes a duck confit and then puts the Reuben fixings on top of the shredded duck meat. Heaven!”

 

 

 

“Okay, what you need to do is this: tell him to prep one of everything on Friday, including three DCRs and myself, Teddy and Gus will be here to taste them at 3pm sharp.”

 

 

 

“Can we make it four DCRs? Effy has a free period…”

 

 

 

“Even better!”

 

 

 

“Um, Effy?” Molly looks confused.

 

 

 

“My sister. She adores a lot of things, but among her top ten is cooking and Auntie Em.”

 

 

 

“I am number 1, thank you very much. Emmett Honeycutt does not come number 2!”

 

 

 

“And we love you still!” Ted quips.

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

Cyril made me clean the fucking grills down so that by the time I got to what was the diner, it was closed. I was and still am so fucked off! My mood didn’t improve when I turned up at Babylon to find, yet again, Brian and Ben...or Kocky and Bucky as they keep calling themselves... in their own little world! They’re not a couple! So why are they behaving like they are?! But the good thing is that I got a bit of information about Molly and her brother, James...Jacob...whatever his name is and I shall see her on Monday. By the evening, I will be the new maitre’d and can tell Cyril he can fuck right off!

 

 

 

LIBERTY FINE DINING - MONDAY MID-MORNING

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

I look around our new place and smile. It is perfection! I got here last night and Molly has been catching me up with everything. As well as the food thing on Friday, we have got to interview for a couple of chefs and some more wait staff. We’re having a soft opening and then we go hell for leather after that. This Emmett character sounds like great fun to be around, if Molly is to be believed. But then again Molly is a great judge of character. After all, she did get the true measure of Hobbs.

 

 

 

I look down at the feel of a cold wet nose on my hand and ruffle Hero’s ears. “Hey boy, I’m fine.” He settles back down under the counter with one more wary look. Ever since I got Hero, he’s been, well a Hero for me. I recovered from the bashing, but I still sometimes get anxious especially when stressed. When Molly found out about therapy dogs and made me go to a meeting, it happened to be a day when they had new puppies. We took one look at each other and that was it...love at first sight! The fact that he’s a Husky with one brown eye and one blue eye also helps!

 

 

 

I am startled by someone hammering on the door and I go to answer it. Whoever this is, is fucking rude in my opinion. If you don’t get an answer immediately, you wait. Quietly!

 

 

 

“Hello, can I help you?” I ask, opening the door to a short dark haired man.

 

 

 

“Yes blondie, I want to speak to Molly. Can you get her for me?” The man demands, impatiently.

 

 

 

“First, my name is not blondie and secondly, no.”

 

 

 

“Look, I don’t have much time! I have to go to a swap meet soon…”

 

 

 

“What is it that you want to speak to Molly about?” I ask.

 

 

 

“That’s between her and me. I’ll come in and wait.” Before I can say anything, he pushes past me and comes in.

 

 

 

“What the fuck do you think you are doing?!” I shout at him, even though my insides are quaking.

 

 

 

“Coming into wait, obviously. So Mr Blondie, will she be long?” He sneers. “I suppose I could...what the fuck is that ugly ass thing?!” He glares at Hero.

 

 

 

With a soft click of my tongue, Hero looks at me but doesn’t move from his spot.

 

 

 

“He’s my dog.” I reply, getting behind the counter to put a bit of distance between us. I can feel the sweat starting to trickle down my back and see the hackles start to rise on Hero’s neck. I try to slow down my heartrate and breathing.

 

 

 

“Well, a dog should not be in this place. When Molly and I are running it, he and you will be the first things to go! In fact…”

 

 

 

His imperious rant is stopped when Hero gets up and sits right in front of him and stares....and then growls long and low.

 

 

 

“Get that away from me!” He demands. “Move your precious dog or I shall…”

 

 

 

Hero stands up and is baring his canines...not much, but enough.

 

 

 

“Wh...what makes you think you and Molly will be running this place?” I stutter as I ask, but start to feel better, after taking a few more calming breaths.

 

 

 

“Mr Blondie…” His tone has lost a little of his snark, but not by much! “First, move the fucking dog! Now!”

 

 

 

“No!” I snap back.

 

 

 

“Then I will do it!” He spits and makes a move for Hero’s collar, who immediately takes a snap at him. “I will have your ass...correction, fat ass for that! I’m the son of the legend that is Debs Novotny, the Mother of Liberty Avenue. Molly and I are going to make this place great again! She will, of course, see the merits of hiring me as the maitre’d. I know the Avenue and people worship me and…”

 

 

 

My snickering stops his genuflecting at his own altar. “Worship you?” I splutter and Hero starts to stand down.

 

 

 

“And why is that funny?!” He retorts.

 

 

 

“One of the first things you do when coming in for an interview, Mr Big Mouth, is research. There’s no way in fuck that you are ever working here!”

 

 

 

The door opening brings in Molly, who has her phone clamped to her ear. She gives me a wave and heads to the office.

 

 

 

“Well since that’s Molly and we’ve talked already, I’d say you are wrong, Fat Ass!”

 

 

 

“Yes that’s Molly but she’s my sister, so I say get the fuck out of our diner! Hero...assist!”

 

 

 

Immediately Hero is back in protect mode and there is no doubting his intentions. Slowly, the idiot starts to move towards the door. “You are bullshitting! I will see Molly tomorrow and you along with that fucking fleabag will be gone!”

 

 

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - AN HOUR LATER

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

I am livid! That fat ass has to be lying! One way to check, I grab my phone. “Emmett, it’s me. This new dining place...what? What do you mean? Well yes, I went there to try and get a…” I start to cringe. “Well how was I supposed to know that...Emmett, stop shouting at me! How does it affect you what I did?! Yes, I said that I know people on the Avenue, how is that not true?! Emmett? Emmett? Hello! Hello!” I shout, but he’s hung up.

 

 

 

I sit down, feeling sick to my stomach because I am now stuck at LAFF...and all because I didn’t ask a fat ass blonde his fucking name!

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review  kindly and constructively. Thanks