- Text Size +

CHAPTER 20 - FOOTSIE AND PLAY FAST AND LOOSE WITH THE TRUTH


YEP, CLASSROOM - MONDAY AFTERNOON


BRANDON


I have to laugh quietly to myself. This is the third time that Star has tried to get the stick through the door and the third time, he has sprung backwards as it is too wide.


“That dog is as dumb as a rock!” Someone says derisively and I freeze immediately hearing the voice of my ex, but then I remember what Ben said and breathe.


“Don’t say that about my dog!” I call out loudly and a head pokes round the corner.


“You speaking to me.” The gruff voiced teen demands and I swallow hard.


“Yes. Don’t say that about my dog. He’s a puppy and has yet to work it out. How would you like it if someone said that about you?” He looks a little surprised by the question. “You wouldn’t like it, so don’t do something to someone, no matter who it is, which you wouldn’t want done to you.”


He steps into the classroom followed by a few of his friends and I think maybe I should’ve picked a different battle! “Who are you?” He demands.


“Brandon Jurgensen. What about you?”


We lock gazes for a few seconds before he looks down. “Tyrone.” He mutters.


“Tyrone. Nice to meet you. Now look up.” I order quietly and he does so. “Star.”


“I said Tyrone.” He mutters.


“No.” I nod at Star, who has finally figured out how to get the stick through the door and he is almost wagging his butt off. He is so pleased with himself. “His name is Star. And he figured it out.”


“Jurgi!” Annalise calls out. “You here?!”


“Yeah, in class!” I call back.


“Hey can you...oh sorry!” She pauses. “I just wondered if I could be a bit cheeky and leave Blue with you for an hour. I’ve got to go to the Soup and Drop and…”


“Sure, leave her here. Star is due a walk soon, but I need to…”


“What the hell is that?!” Tyrone demands grinning. “For fuck sake I am surrounded by fucking cuteness!”


“A Chow. I’m Annalise and you guys are?” She sticks her hand out at Tyrone, who looks surprised but takes it and introduces himself and the rest of his friends Dave, Arch and Ronan.


“Oh you think this is cute, you should see the rest of the dogs.” She grins.


“I love dogs.” Tyrone murmur, hunkering down to pet Star, before he looks up at her and frowns. “Wait a second, you’re the person that runs this place?” She nods. “Why?”


“Why not?” She replies and then watches him carefully. “So how long have you and your friends been on the streets?”


“Long enough.” He says defensively but she doesn’t react.


“And you love dogs?” She perches on the end of my desk and continues to watch him.


“Yes. What’s wrong with that? You don’t know my story and…”


“You will tell us when you’re ready and that is your right. But I was actually thinking about how you can do something you love with something you love.”


“What are you talking about?”


She rifles in her wallet and pulls out $5 and holds it out to him. “Walk her an hour a day…” He reaches for it but she pulls it back. “...I mean walk.”


“Okay…”


“Actually, let me make it $10. You know how to brush a dog right?”


“Of course I do!” He exclaims before looking somewhat warily at Blue. “Well maybe…”


“Okay, here’s what I think. I believe you and your merry band of friends could make a business as dog walkers whilst studying.”


“Dog walk…” Tyrone stutters,


“Yes. Tell you what. I will give you a week’s trial.”  She frowns. “Starting from Wednesday. What you need to do is sit down with someone who can guide you through this process and make sure you have everything you need...someone like, oh I don’t know Brandon Jurgensen, Star and Blue for example.”


He looks across imploringly at me and I nod.


“Okay, that is me done. I will see you later!” She gives Blue a quick kiss on her nose and saunters out.


“So gentlemen. Shall we start?” I indicate the seats and they all scramble to sit down. I get up and hand them some notebooks and pens. “So can each of you tell me how far in the school system you went?” They shift uncomfortably. “There is no judgement here; we can’t help if we don’t know where to start.”


“Uh...I can’t read that…” Tyrone looks down at the ground.


“Fuck me!” Arch breathes. “Why didn’t you say?!” His eyes fill with tears as he looks at Tyrone. “So he can’t read well and I can’t do math… what about everyone else?” He looks at the rest of his friends.


“My cursive writing sucks shit!” Ronan admits.


“Also have a problem with reading.” Dave shrugs.


“I am going to need a lot more help.” I reach for my phone. “Hey Ben, are you busy right now?”


“Who’s Ben?” Tyrone asks as I hang up.


“He’s a fellow teacher.” I reply with a smile.


“Judging by that smile….” Ronan snickers. “He’s more than that!”


I clear my throat and try to look baleful, but can feel myself blushing. “Notebooks open, please.”


“Yes, Teach!” Tyrone chuckles and takes his pen.


THE OLD CHURCH HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


JUSTIN


Every part of me aches! As I trudge up the stairs to the door, I pause and stretch my back.


“I will be so glad when this is over.” I grumble to myself and promptly drop my keys. “Oh for fuck sake!” As I bend down to pick them up, the door opens and I find myself looking at bare feet that I know very well.


“How was your day, dear?” He drawls, swinging the door open.


“Tiring....” I reply, straightening up and smiling.


“Let me help you with that…”


I look down at myself as I’m only carrying my messenger bag and it’s not that heavy. “With what?” I ask, dropping the bag by the door and closing it.


“This…” He pulls me towards him. “...you are talking far too much for now.”


“I...mmmm” I groan as he covers my mouth with his and pulls me into his warm and comforting embrace. We kiss for a few minutes until I become dimly aware of the tap-tap of claws on wooden floors.


“Well, I‘ll see you tomorrow then.” Molly giggles and I hear the door close.


“Still tired?” He asks looking down, his smile dancing in his eyes. I shake my head. “Good. I take it you’re a bit hungry...for food?”


“In a minute.” I breathe, holding onto him. He wraps his arms around me again and gives me a squeeze. I sigh happily, and then sniff and look up. “What’s that smell? Have you taken over my kitchen again?”


“Are we on a date?” He cocks an eyebrow.


“Uh…”


“I only cook when I am on a date. So is this a date?”


“A surprise one, but a date nevertheless.” I grin up at him.


“Good answer.” He brushes the hair off my forehead and frowns. “You’re not overworking yourself for this dinner, are you?”


“No, but I want to get it right and with the…”


“You’ve already got it right or they wouldn’t be coming there. And if you are worried about the MUMs, then don’t.”


“I am a bit. He just seems so determined to make problems for me. I don’t get it.”


“Okay, let me explain the Novotnys to you. But only after you’ve had a shower and met me in the Nook in 30 minutes, okay?”


“But…”


“Okay?” He repeats firmly and I nod.


“Hero is with Moon at Norm’s. In case you were wondering.”


“Why there? I thought he normally has them on poker night, which is a Wednesday.”


“Yeah, but the Soup and Drop opens on Wednesday so poker night has been moved to tonight.”


“But you’re here and there’s a carry over pot…”


“Do you want me to go play poker instead?”


“No!” I exclaim and then blush when he laughs at my swift and loud response. “I just...well...am going to have a shower now.” I mumble and almost break my neck running up the stairs.


“Slow down, twat!” He calls out laughing.


THE NOOK - 90 MINUTES LATER


I nuzzle my head into the most comfortable pillow I have slept on in a while and it groans. I open my eyes and turn on my back...Brian’s looking down at me, with a mixture of amusement and horniness on his face.


“Well as dates go, watching you sleep was not what I had in mind.”


“I fell asleep?!” I gasp and sit up quickly. “I am so sorry! I must have been more tired than I thought. Is dinner ruined?”


“Yes, you were and no, it’s not.” He beckons me back to lie down and I do so. “So do I get to know and, if not, can we at least have a doggy bag?”


“The four course dinner for Thursday night?” He nods and I shake my head. “I shall bring a doggy bag back.”


“Good. You want to eat now or rest some more?” I was about to say something when my stomach makes the decision for me. “Food it is. Stay there!” He laughs and heads down to the kitchen.


Twenty minutes later, he comes back up with a tray and the most wonderful smelling curry dish. “It’s not very hot, as in spicy, but it is very nurturing. So here, put down that cookbook and make sure you eat all of it.”  


“What’s the meat?” I ask reaching for the bowl.


“Chicken. Now eat.” He orders, emphasising his point with his fork. He stretches out on the other end of the sofa and puts his legs on either side of mine. “Eat.” He repeats.


I take a spoonful and it is as delicious to taste as it is to smell. I am in heaven and wiggle happily as I savour every bite. I am in a world of happy when I find my foot is suddenly squeezed firmly. “Ouch! Hey what did you do that for?” I protest and then look at his face and then my foot. “Oh! I didn’t mean to…” I trail off embarrassed before clearing my throat. “I sometimes move my feet when I’m relaxed and content.”


“I noticed.” He rubs my toes where he squeezed them. “So you like that, do you?”


“Yeah. Can you give me the recipe?” He shakes his head. “Why not?” I pout.


“Because it’s a secret recipe and I only make it for special people.” He answers and goes back to eating and I can’t help grinning.


“Eat...and keep your feet still.” He orders with a grin of his own.


YEP SOUP & DROP - EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING


MICHAEL


We haven’t been allowed in here since Cretinous Cyril sold this place to the Anna the Ass. Okay we still got paid, but I got used to the lie-ins. So being here at six o’clock in the morning is not my idea of fun!


“Michael, are you listening?” Odious Odette asks me and I nod even though I didn’t hear a word. “Great, then go wait by the showers. I expected you to object more than that. Who knows you may be turning over a new leaf! Right, so the rest of you with me!”


“Heathan, what the hell is Double O Bitch talking about?”


“You’re on shower duty.” He replies.


“Which means...and just because we are in a working environment, you shouldn’t forget your or my rank.” He stares at me for a few seconds. “Well?”


“My Captain.” He mutters. “Can we not do that here? When we were at your…”


“We will do this when and where I see fit. Now explain what she was talking about.”


“Heathan! Can you go and help Odette please? I will explain to him what he needs to do with the showers.”


“Of course.” He almost bows and scrapes to whoever the hell this is.


She watches him leave before turning back to me. “My name is Tabitha. My friends call me Tabs, however, you will call me Tabitha. You will call Odette by her full first name. Not Double O Bitch or Dumpster Bitch or Odious Odette, do you understand me? Because if I hear or see you do otherwise, I will fire you. I suggest you just nod your acquiescence...that means you will do what the fuck I say when I say it.” I just nod my head as I am so stunned that she is speaking to me; me the son of Debbie Novotny like I am garbage! “Follow me to the showers.”


“Showers?” I echo.


“Ah, there was me thinking you were being vacuous when in fact you weren’t listening. Let me repeat, when the people come in here, hand them this box for them to put their valuables in…” She glares at me when I roll my eyes. “...just because they are homeless; it does not make their things any less precious than yours! Remember, there but for the Grace of God, go you! Once they have secured their possessions in a locker, give them a towel and a parcel and show them to the showers. To be clear these are not communal. Explain to them that their clothes, if they want to keep them, will be washed and returned to them by the end of the day and the ones we give them are theirs to keep too. Then show them to the kitchen for something to eat. Now, make sure that every shower has toiletries, like soap, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and a washcloth. And then of course, there is the pound for their pets. I think they are...”


I tune her out as I take in what used to be the backlot of LAFF and am stunned by the change. “What the fuck happened?” I demand, looking at the freshly painted facilities.


“Just get on with what I told you to do.” She sighs. “The first wave are coming in an hour and you have to have everything ready by then or a very good reason why not!”


I am so busy checking out the new things that it takes me a few minutes to realise how she has continued to speak to me and turn to give her a piece of my mind, but she’s gone. “Who the hell does that uppity…”


“Michael, what are you still doing out here?” Heathan asks, frowning.


“Heathan, do I need to remind you again of your…”


“My Captain.” He says hurriedly, I smirk and nod my acceptance of his apology.


“So what did you want First Mate and soon to be roommate?” I thought for a moment he flinched, but maybe not.


“Tabs wanted me to make sure that you had started to sort out the shower facilities and to remind you to make sure there is fresh water and food. The vet will be here at the same time.”


“Tabs? So it’s Tabs for you, is it?” I sneer.


“Well that’s what she said I could call her.” He replies defensively.


“And what’s this crap about water, food and a vet?” I sigh crossly.


“Most homeless people have dogs with them. This place has a place for the dogs to be washed and fed and…” He trails off as my mouth drops open in shock and horror.


“You mean I am on dog duty?!” I snap and stalk pass him to find his new friend, Tabs!


TABS


Ah here he comes! “Problem, Michael?” I ask before he can say anything.


“Yes, just a…” He begins.


“Hi, I’m looking for Tabitha, I’m Dr Eric Stevens, the volunteer vet.”


“Hi Eric, may I call you Eric?” He nods and smiles. “I’m Tabitha, but please call me Tabs.”


“Tabs it is, then. So you want to show me the way so that I can get set up?”


“Of co…”


“It’s okay, Tabitha. I can show him the way.” Michael simpers. “I’m Michael... Michael Novotny. I will be your able assistant. Did you say your name was Eric?”


“Yes, I did. Nice to meet you, Michael. Lead the way.”


“Oh Michael, the way you just came in I thought there was a problem.” I smirk at him. “Is that no longer the case?”


“Yes, there’s no longer a problem.” He replies tightly.


“I’m so glad to hear that.” I smile back.


OFFICIAL SOUP & DROP OPENING - 4 HOURS IN


EFFY


I am so pleased that I managed to persuade the school to let some of us come and help here for their first day. It is heaving! There are some of the guys from YEP in Shadyside, explaining how it works to the newcomers and like them, they are astonished at the kindness of strangers. A couple of young men were devastated when they thought that they would have to part with their dogs but when they saw the cages for them, they wept and even I had a tear in my eye.


Miss Anna - as she has insisted I call her - is working behind the counter with Miss Leda and like the first time at Shadyside, there’s doctors here too.


The one difference is Uncle Michael. He’s been spouting about how much of a dog lover he is and how he stayed here after LAFF was sold because he couldn’t bear to leave the place. There was a lot of eye rolling at that. Methinks, he’s trying to impress the vet! Daddio has just arrived as have the people from LFD. Justin was here but Uncle Brian sent him to the loft, with Uncle Ben going with him instead of Uncle Brian, to make sure he gets some uninterrupted sleep. He really did look tired, and he’s got the big dinner tomorrow night.


“Hey Princess, how’s it going?” Dad gives me a one-armed hug as he is carrying some papers.


“Great! Charlie has taken the first lot over to Shadyside to get them settled. Some of them had really bad colds. Oh, did you hear about the Tower?!”


“No what about it? I guess it’s good news judging by the squeak and the grin!”


“Yes, it’s being renovated. The landlord was persuaded to part with it…” I beam.


“...or face jail?” He smirks and I nod. “Who’s taken it over? Annalise didn’t say anything about that in the board meeting.”


“No, the city bought it!” I am almost jumping up and down with excitement. “Counsellor Stewartson, that’s him over there talking to Uncle Drew, got together with other businesses that are doing the internships and there you have it! I am hoping that we can get involved in the decorating of it, once it’s been thoroughly cleaned!”


“Wow! Well you have a yes from me if you want to do that.”


“Thanks, Daddio!”

 

“You told him before me, didn’t you?” Gus grumbles as he comes up with Hunter.


“Yes and…” I stop and stare as Mom comes in with her board members. “...what on earth is she doing here with them, dressed like that?” I look at dad, confused.


“I have no idea at all. Let me go and check!” He tries to look reassuring....I’m not reassured!


NORMAN


I make my way over to Lindsay, watching her cast her eye over the young people gathered talking to various counsellors and YEP residents.


“...not the same calibre as the ones that were at the Shadyside. I was going to take Odette and Tabitha under my wing, but I magnanimously let them go so they could do this instead. I have to nurture my philanthropic side.”  She twitters to her companions, who nod in tandem and stare at her in awe.


“Magnanimous, my ass!” Someone whispers harshly and I turn to a fuming, Dusty.


On hearing this, Lindsay glares at her. “Ladies, perhaps we should move to somewhere where there aren’t eavesdroppers…”


“I am not eavesdropping; I am correcting an untruth.” Dusty retorts. “Nobody wanted to work in her boutique.” She tells the ladies. “Not even if they were paid to do so. Now do excuse me, I have to go take my turn on the food line. It’s a shame you can’t, Lindsay. You’ve clearly dressed for high tea with the queen. Most inappropriate!”


“Now just a min…” Lindsay begins, only to be interrupted again, but this time by Leda.


“I thought it was!” She exclaims. “Hey Babe, I was right. It is yours.”


“Huh!” Annalise calls back, frowning. “Are you sure? Let me see.” She comes over and stares hard at Lindsay, specifically at what Lindsay is wearing. “Ah, we have a problem, Lindsay, a rather embarrassing one.”


“Oh and what’s that?” She demands imperiously.


“Can we go to the…” Annalise gestures to the office.


“No. Just tell me what the problem is so it can be fixed and I can get on with my charitable and board work!”


“You have my dress on. I mistakenly gave it to goodwill and I need it back. It was a present from Leda you see.” The people surrounding us go quiet and look expectantly at Lindsay, who starts to go red. “Obviously, I will pay you the money you paid for it, but I really do want it back. So could you tell me how much you paid for it?”


“I can...can’t remember off hand, but perhaps we should discuss this in…”


“Oh wait, isn’t that the store owner over there?” Leda peers through the crowd. “Yes, it is. Let me go and get her, won’t be a sec.”


“The crap is about to hit the fan.” I look down in surprise at Effy, but before I can ask what she means Leda returns.


“Can you tell me how much she bought this for please? My darling, but ditzy girlfriend put it in the bag by mistake and we want to buy it back from Lindsay…”


“Uh Leda, could we please discuss this…” Lindsay babbles.


“She didn’t buy that in my store.” The lady interrupts.


“She must have done. Yours is the shop I dropped the bag off in. It was two weeks ago.”


“Yes, I remember you very well and the items you brought in. This was not one of them. I have an itemised list of everything that is donated and by whom. I also send an email detailing what they have donated to the donatee; thus avoiding situations like this.”

 

“Wait, I remember you now, we were going to the shop and you had left one bag in your car, but were in a hurry and I said that I would take it for you." Leda frowns and then nods and smiles at her in recognition and remembrance. "We drop our donations, and those of our friends, off at Lindsay’s emporium first as she very kindly takes it up for us.” One of her board members chirrups and Lindsay goes green.


“Oh fuck!” Effy breathes, clutching my arm. “Do something!” She hisses.


“What’s wrong?” I whisper moving us a bit further back.


“Judging by that expression, she didn’t know about the confirmation email. And if my hunch is right, she’s been keeping the good stuff for herself and donating her stock in its place.


“Has she now?” The deep and disgusted voice of Brian intones. “Let me fix this for you, Princess.”


“Don’t embarrass her, Uncle Brian! Please!” She begs.


“I won’t... well, not too much.” He replies tightly. “Oh Lindsay!” He calls out to her as he approaches. “I think I can offer a solution to your sartorial problem! If you’d all like to follow me to the office.”


“Ladies…” Lindsay puts up a forestalling hand. “I won’t be but a moment.”


As I go to follow, I turn back to give Effy a reassuring smile but catch the furious expressions on the faces of Tannis and Dusty...oh fuck! Effy looks behind her and runs up to them...I pray she can talk them around!


OFFICE


LEDA


“I won’t be a second.” Brian says and goes back out again; true to his word he’s back...with a boiler suit. “Take it off and give it back!” He shoves the boiler suit into her chest. “In fact, give it all back!”


“I don’t know what all you’re talking about Brian, but Annalise of course you can have the dress back, gratis.” She smarms and then for me, the penny drops.


“Oh you duplicitous little snob!” I snap at her.


“Okay people, can we do this in English? We have hungry kids and dogs to feed!” Annalise orders.


“Lady Muck here has been using her shop as a front to fill her wardrobe. Her friends think that she’s donating their stuff to the goodwill store, but she’s putting her crappy stock in there instead and then taking the tastiest pieces home. Haven’t you?” Lindsay shifts a bit, but doesn’t answer him. “I believe it was John Dryden who said it best: secret guilt is by silence revealed.”


“Lindsay!” Norm snaps in exasperation. “Put that on and go on the line! First thing tomorrow, Effy and I are going through every stitch of clothing in your wardrobe and taking those that need to be back to the goodwill store where it belongs! I will not allow you to do this, no fucking way!” He snarls.


“I haven’t done anything…” She protests.


“That goodwill store sends its proceeds to charities!” Norman explodes. “Think of the money you have deprived them of! I have never been so ashamed of you in my life! And you have to pray that Effy managed to be charming, because Tannis and Dusty both know what you did!”


“It’s not as if they didn’t get clothes!” She cries, tears pooling in her eyes.


“Can it and save the croc tears, dearie!” Annalise spits. “Call yourself philanthropic when the calibre of these homeless teens is not to your standard...you can’t even call yourself a decent human being! You know what keep the dress! You’ve tainted it now.” She takes a deep breath. “Right, so let’s go do what we came here to do people!” She takes my hand and drags me out.


LINDSAY


I look at Brian and Norman, unsure what to do. “What are you waiting for? Get dressed and go do your bit for charidee!” Brian sneers and I hate him so much at that moment. Ten minutes later, I am serving soup when I am jostled from behind. I groan when I see who it is.


“Your committee members are on the other line doing their bit. And you have to say a big thank you to Effy. Because of her, we’re not saying a fucking word but we know Lindsay. We know!” Dusty growls quietly. “You pull any more shit, and everyone else will know too!”


DOG POUND - SOUP AND DROP - AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL


I am filthy, tired and stink of stupid dogs. But it has been worth it watching Eric work. He’s so gentle with the damn fleabags.


“Do you have a dog, Michael?”


“No, but my Uncle does.” I smile at him, marvelling at the firm forearms and wonderful dark grey eyes.


“What’s his name?”


“Who my Uncle? Vic. Why do you want to know that?” I frown.


“I didn’t! I wanted to know the name of the dog!” He laughs and I feel my stomach flip.


“Oh!” I slap my head part in embarrassment and partly trying to jog my memory.


“Shiitake. The name of the dog is Shiitake. Hi, I’m Heathan.” Heathan sticks out his hand and when Eric shakes it, I try to glare Heathan into backing off. “I was on the line, came out for a bit of fresh air.”


“What’s it like in there?” Eric asks, stretching and wiping his face after being enthusiastically licked. “Doggie breath!” He flaps his hand in front of his face and plays with the dog’s ears.


“Hot on the line, but the kids are starting to relax. A few have gone to the hotel to get some proper sleep.”


“Poor things. I can’t imagine not having somewhere to call home. Although, I don’t at the moment.”


“Oh, why’s that?” I ask before glowering at Heathan, but he’s not taking the hint.


“Apartment fell through. Bit of a fucker, but what can you do? Hopefully I can find something for a couple of weeks; just until my apartment proper is ready. Don’t suppose you guys know anybody looking for a temporary roomie?”


“Heathan is!” Odette interjects.


What the fuck?!


“You are?” He turns to him. “It will only be a couple of weeks I swear and I am fully house trained, kind to animals...do you have pets...and won’t make a peep. You’d hardly know I was there!”


“Now who could resist an offer like that?” Odette smirks at him.


Heathan can! Heathan can resist an offer like that!


“Please. Pretty please! I’m also a mean cook! You won’t ever have to cook while I’m there!”


“Two weeks?” Heathan frowns and noticeably ignores my pointed look and huffing.


“I can provide a letter confirming the date my apartment will be ready. I have it on my phone and can get it now if you want?”


“Heathan, don’t you have plans for…” I begin to point out that this room is supposed to be mine!


“What would be the rent? I will pay it plus an extra $50 on top of the cooking and the keeping out of your way!” Eric pleads and I gape at him, and again, glare at Heathan.


“$500 a week but you don’t...”


How much?!


“Deal!” Eric shouts and sticks out his hand. “Let’s shake on it!” He grabs Heathan’s hand and pumps it twice. “Done, roomie!”


“Good, that is settled.” Odette smiles at them. Oh no, it fucking isn’t! “Now Eric, this is the last dog, so after him, do you want to go and get freshened up and then we will go to Woody’s once we close up?”


“Yeah sure!” He grins. “First drinks on me, roomie! Come on, Michael. Let’s finish up with these pooches and get a well-deserved drink!”


WOODY’S - 90 MINUTES LATER


I am seething, absolutely seething! Not only have I missed out on a room for two weeks, but Blonde Ass and his sister have manipulated Eric’s attention all night! He seems to have forgotten that Brian exists. But judging by the way they have kept away from each other, their showmance is well and truly over! And as for her, well she's in for a rude awakening...that guy is all about the meat!






Date Night Curry: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3458/aromatic-chicken-curry

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.