- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

For the foodies amongst you the recipes for these courses are in Chapter 22

CHAPTER 23 - DINNER IS SERVED...AND SO IS SOMETHING ELSE


MADELINE


I didn’t think it was possible for a man to blush as adorably as Justin is right now.


“So what do you think?” He asks, keeping his eyes locked on the menu.


“As I said, twice, it is perfect. As are the canapes before you ask me about them again. Now, go put on some clean whites and stand by your man. Kiki and I shall greet my guests.”


He nods before almost running full pelt up the stairs.


“WALK, TWAT!” His man shouts and I chuckle quietly as his steps slow.


“He’s really that good, isn’t he?” Kiki asks.


“No, he’s really that excellent. And with fine tuning, he will be perfect.”


“Ready to rock and roll?” She asks as the first of my guests arrive.


“Absolutely!”


STANLEY’S APARTMENT - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


ERIC


“Wait a second. You said something weird earlier.” I pause in mid chop of the chillies.


“I always say something weird.” He laughs as he slices aubergine.


“No not your weird, I mean ugh weird.”


“Me and Heathan, you mean? Ouch! Fuck dude, that hurt!”


“Flicking someone on the ear is meant to hurt, especially when they are being a dumbass and speaking bullcrap.”


“Back to your ugh weird...” He rubs his ear ruefully.


“Michael fancying me.”


“Yeah. He tends to adopt the behaviour, actually the personality and behaviour of the guy he likes. In reality, he hates dogs.”


“Well that was obvious.” I scoff, going back to chopping. “Whenever he thought I wasn’t looking, he would grimace and scowl at them. What a stupid thing to lie about! Animal lovers and animals can always tell a faker.”


“He’s a bit of an ass like that. He got me suspended for two days and a huge fine for illegal dumping.”


He got you, or did you play follow my leader and got in trouble?” I raise a knowing eyebrow. He was easily led in school.


“Okay, I followed my Captain as he ordered us to call him on occasion and…”


“So the fault is yours, not his.” He nods sheepishly. “So he wanted to do something again and you said no?”


“Yeah…” He pauses as his phone rings. “Speak of the devil. Hello Michael, I’m fine. No I don’t know where Heathan is at the moment nor Eric. I guess they are out doing something. Well don’t get too cold. Bye.”


“Don’t get too cold?”


“Said he’s outside Heathan’s apartment building. Maybe I should wa…” He’s interrupted by the door being knocked on, hard. “Please God, no. Don’t let this have been another test like last night!” He groans, but his shoulders sag in relief when he opens it to Heathan. A deeply unimpressed looking Heathan. “Michael is…”


“Outside my apartment, yes I know.” He grumbles. “I had to call my neighbour to lend me $40 as I forgot my wallet!”


“Never mind, you’re here now. Let’s get that bottle opened!”


LFD - RECEPTION PART OF THE DINNER


DREW


I am so proud of my man! He has pulled off the perfect reception. I love him already, but that tempura lobster is to die for. He is making that this weekend and I am eating it off him!


Justin has now calmed down and is circulating with Emmy and Molly, taking the accolades he deserves. Brian is trying to sneak by Vic, but he’s not letting him. I start to sidle up to him to see if he needs an assist.


“Don’t even think about it. Sit your ass down.” Kiki orders with a fixed smile. “Effy is fine and being thoroughly spoilt. Now don’t make me have to walk across here again. These fuckers may look nice, but they hurt!”


“Fine, I shall stand down but do you know what she said?”


“No but Vic does. However, until this is over he won’t tell me. That’s why he sticking to Brian, it’s that bad.”


“Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, dinner is now going to be served!” Madeline calls out and they go to take their seats.


“This? You cooked this, Justin? With no formal training? And by yourself today?” Chef Lailia Capstone asks, looking again at the menu.


“Yes.”


“And most of the reception food was you apart from the lobster tempura? By the way, that recipe I will have off you, Mr Honeycutt!”


“Not a chance!” I call out. “That’s off the menu from now on! Me and him alone!”


“Worth a try.” She smiles and nods approvingly at the menu again. “So shall we start?”


NORMAN AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE


LOUNGE


LINDSAY


I look at the case at his feet. “I’ve given it some thought and I don’t want you here. Just for the weekend. Effy is staying with Annalise and Leda, but obviously needs to come back here to get ready for school. I’ve booked you a room at the local inn. So if she says you can come back at the same time as her, at least it’s not too far away.”


“But Norman, I didn’t…”


“Shoulda woulda coulda and not necessarily in that order.” He snaps and then sighs in the face of my confusion. “You should’ve apologised immediately; you could’ve apologised immediately and any person with a heart would’ve apologised immediately. Taxi’s here.”


“Norman, please!”


“Out now while you still have a chance to come back. All this pleading is getting on my nerves!”


THE INN - 20 MINUTES LATER


BAR


I set down my glass of wine and sigh sadly. Sometimes I am my own worst enemy. I still can’t believe I said that to her!


“Lindsay?” I jump as my name is called and it’s Catherine. “What are you doing here by yourself?”


“Row with Norman, giving myself a cooling off period.” I smile at her.


“Ah yes, been there done that. Are you staying here, then?”


“Yes.” I reply sadly and she sits down. “We both said things we didn’t mean, but they were so hurtful.”


“Look I have a spare room and a spare shoulder. Come on, not taking no for an answer.”


“But the room’s booked.”


“Have you checked in?” I shake my head. “Then cancel and come with me. Use it as a tax write off.” I take her proffered elbow and let her lead me out.


STANLEY’S APARTMENT


KITCHEN


HEATHAN


Oh the aroma of the food, it is so good! I had no idea he could cook like that. I am getting that recipe from him!


“You’re beeping.” Eric calls from the kitchen. “How many is that, Stan?”


“Seven. You’ve got to admire his persistence…”


“His pestilential persistence as Ben calls it!” I snicker.


“When did he say that?!” Eric laughs.


“Babylon.” Stan replies and then sighs as his phone flashes. “Oh for fuck sake!”


“Let me guess, he’s coming here?” I ask and he nods. “Clearly he has forgotten that you are also cooking.  But he only has eyes for Eric…”


“Eric doesn’t have eyes for him!” Eric retorts and crosses his arms. “He is really coming here?”


“Yeah.”


“Then we go to ours! Come on one of you call a cab and the other help me load up the food!”


Twenty minutes later, we are ducking down in the cab as ours passes his and we’re all giggling like schoolkids.


MICHAEL


“Where the hell is he?” I knock again. “I said I was coming. It’s not as if he has any other friends!”


“First sign of madness that is...”


“What is?” I look at the guy and frown.


“Talking to yourself.”


“I wasn’t talking to myself; I was thinking out loud.” I retort.


“He’s not in.” He indicates Stanley’s door. “Went out about an hour ago.”


“Oh. I see. Well thanks.” I turn away from the door and head back to my house. If I hurry, I can catch the original Captain Scarlett movie. I know where Eric is when I want to get him...and get him, I will!


GUIDO, STANLEY’S NEIGHBOUR


“Hey man, it’s me. Yeah, someone stopped by that matched his description. Said you went out an hour ago. No problem, just bring me some food back!”


LFD - 1ST COURSE: SCALLOP SIU MAI


BRIAN


Oh, my fucking God! This is so, so good! Bucky is going to kill me, but there is no way in fuck he’s tasting this. I can’t believe my boyf...Justin cooked it! I am trying to work out how to make this last when another one arrives along with Drew. “They are looking after their men. Unquote.”


“Do you have a copy of the menu?” I ask him and he shakes his head. “Man, seriously this is so good!”


“Did you try the lobster tempura?” Drew asks as he dips the remains of the dumpling in the sauce.


“No.” I sigh because if this is good, then that has to be better.


“One sec.” Drew heads to the kitchen and five minutes later, I am having a foodgasm as it slides down my throat.


“A million dollars. I will buy it for a million dollars.”


“Nope. He never tested this with me and now I know why.”


“Any of that…”


“What do you think?” He laughs, signalling the waiter. “Did you not hear me saying looking after their men?”


HEATHAN’S APARTMENT


ERIC


It is liking watching two tortoises! Time for a not so gentle shove!


LFD - 2ND COURSE: HONEY SPICED CHICKEN WITH AVOCADO AND HAM SALAD


JUSTIN


I watch him carefully. It’s a hit! He does this thing with his eyes when he’s enjoying food. He closes them while he’s chewing...savouring the flavour and the taste. He’s talking to Vic now and he’s smiling. Why he is smiling? Oh I see! Vic is back with a tub...he’s taking it with him...a second serving...so it’s more than a hit, a success!


BRIAN


If I don’t rein him in a bit, I am going to put on 40 stone! This is the best salad ever! Neither Drew nor I have said a word since the last comment as we are like pigs in trough. I am waiting for him to look away so that I can sneak the piece of chicken off his plate...aha now’s my chance...got it! The calories don’t count if it’s off someone else’s plate, right? Now affect the look of innocence!


HEATHAN’S APARTMENT


STANLEY


Heathan and I are just staring at each other in horrified embarrassment after Eric’s declaration...you like and you like, so kiss already!


“Would you like me to leave the room so you can actually pogue or will you continue to stare at each other in silence? This is ridiculous! All you’ve done all evening is surreptitiously eye fuck each other and attempt to play footsie...by the way both times...my foot!


“Pogue? What is pogue?” I finally manage to speak.


“It means to kiss.” Eric replies his tone softer. “You are not unfuckable. Either of you.”


“How did…” Heathan starts.


“Just listen.” Eric stops him. “You are just shy and awkward. So here’s an idea, why not be shy and awkward together. I promise I won’t stay for the full pash out but can I watch your lips meet, so at least I know it has happened?”


“Go to your room!” I order and laughing as he does as he’s bid.


LFD - DESSERT COURSE: CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE LAYER CAKE


BRIAN


I am going to make love to him until he passes out. Even though I had the tiniest of slivers it is the most wonderful...oh fuck this! “Justin! Can you come out for a second?!” He’s been hiding in the kitchen ever since the first course...and the room goes quiet.


“What’s the problem?” He rushes out immediately, thinking the worst.


“Stand here.” I point to a spot on the floor in front of me and he does as he’s told.


HEATHAN’S APARTMENT - SAME TIME


STANLEY


“So if you’d like to come here…”


He gets up and comes to stand in front of me.


LFD


JUSTIN


Do not slump like some virgin in his arms! Do not...but oh God he’s kissing me like that in front of everyone and he tastes of chocolate. Oh fuck it...time to climb!


HEATHAN’S APARTMENT


HEATHAN


He is most definitely not unfuckable! What a great kisser!


“You’ve had a minute! I’m hungry still...are you boyfriends yet?!” Eric bellows.


“Yes!” Stanley shouts back, laughing. “It’s a yes, right?” He whispers, asking me and I nod.


LFD


MADELINE


“Well as you can tell two things have been confirmed this evening.” I watch Justin lower his legs in slight embarrassment as he and Brian got a little carried away. But if my boyfriend cooked that I would be all over him too! “One is that Brian is very proud of Justin and two that the place that Chef Lailia Capstone has for Justin should be accepted immediately.”


“Place?” Justin mumbles through kiss bruised, which could be seen from outer space, lips.


“Yes. You are a natural chef. I wish I had your talent then I wouldn’t have had to suffer so many years of culinary school. I think you would need about 3 weeks to get everything perfect. So do you accept?” She asks, smiling.


“Yes, he does!” Brian answers and looks down at him. “You do, right?”


“But…”


“Go be perfect and then come back to us.” He tells him. “I’m going to need a key to the Nook’s front door, right?”


“I’ll get one cut tomorrow.” He smiles up at him and then hugs him tight.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thank you