- Text Size +

CHAPTER 31 - USING DETERMINATION….GOOD AND STUPID


CATHERINE


I suspect tonight is going to be a short visit. She’s still not said anything, and there has been five minutes of silence. “Lindsay, I am sorry. I tried, I really did. But like I said, they were adamant about you not being there in an official capacity. You may come as a ‘civilian’, but you can’t be a representative of the board.”


“But I am co-Chairwoman! Surely you could’ve, no should’ve withdrawn our support for this…”


I look at her in dismay. “Lindsay, this is not about you as a person. This is about the…”


“It is about me! You've allowed their jealousy to stop…”


“They are not jealous!” I scoff and return her glare, unrepentantly. “They want the focus to be on the people whose plight we are raising awareness about. And to be honest, right now I can understand why they wouldn’t want you there. Now are we going to enjoy our evening or shall I go home?”


“I think it would be best if you went home. I’m hurt and can feel a headache forming.”


“Fine. Goodnight, I hope it doesn't stain.”


“What?” She frowns at me, still seated.


“The chocolate. It’s a bitch to get out of silk.” I let myself out and close the door quietly behind me. “Why do I get the feeling that this is not going to be the last time I hear about this?” I mutter to myself and head to my car. Once I get inside, I decide to call Tannis and Annalise. Forewarned is forearmed, after all.


BRANDON’S HOUSE


STAR


I love my Daddy very much. He’s super gentle with my leg exercises to help make them stronger.


“You had a long day, didn’t you boy?” I wag my tail tiredly. “A couple more reps.” He makes me push back against his hand with my front and back legs and then he gives me my special belly rub to say we’re done, just in time for the door to start knocking.


“Hey.” Daddy says as he answers it and Big Daddy, as I call my other Daddy, kisses Daddy hello. They do that lots when they’re here, but not so much when they are out. Not like Moon and Hero’s Daddies, who I sometimes think they are going to get stuck that way! I wait for my ruffle on my ears and I lick his hand to say thank you and I love you too.


“How long did he go for?”


“He did twenty. It’s just that after…” Daddy sighs. “...sorry, force of habit. He did twenty.”


“That's very good. After the long day’s filming, that was more than enough.”


“My thoughts exactly.” He smiles at him. “How was your run?”


“Good. Can we wall climb on Sunday?”


“Oh yeah. What time? Or, um, are you coming back here after the awareness meet?”


“Can I have an Alex when we get back?”


“Yes, you may. But do you want a Brandon now?”


“Yes. Yes, I do.”


I watch them go upstairs and wait in my basket for one of them to come and get me after they have finished their happy daddy thing!


GUS’S LOFT


NIKITA


A little to the left please, I look at Daddy over my shoulder and squirm back. He gets the message. Blissful. He takes this brushing thing very seriously, and it always ends up with me going to sleep. But I am determined to...not yawning, oh maybe a little one...stay awa...zzzzzzzzz....


LFD - DINER


HUNTER


I really like working here, even though I am not a fan of the late shift. But they do provide taxis to take us back home, which is a huge plus. I smile at Heathan and Stanley. Ever since they wised up and grew swiftly away from Michael then actually got to know Justin and Molly, they apologised for their behaviour. Albert though is still loyal to Captain Mouthyass and spends his time, glaring at the building.


“So, Hunter…” Miles smiles at me. “How’s YEP? You like it there, as in staying at the facility?”


“Oh yes, but although it sounds stupid, I miss the Vaseline Tower.”


“It’s not silly. It’s all you’ve known. So do you think you will…”


“Miley!” Kiki squeaks and he looks sheepish.


“What’s going on?” I look at them both before Kiki sighs and glares at him, but with not too much heat.


“You are not to tell anyone at YEP understand?” She pulls me to the diner side. “They have finished it.”


“What?” I ask, confused.


“The Tower, it’s finished.” Kiki smiles. “They need a warden. You know, someone to look after it and make sure the residents are behaving and the like...and that’s all you are getting. Okay people, we are closing in half an hour!” Kiki shouts.


I frown at Miley and he looks away...but he’s smiling. What the fuck is going on?


BRIAN’S LOFT


JUSTIN


I am fiddling with the buttons on my coat. I had said to him that I would be staying at home, but I missed his warmth. So I left Hero, but took my phone and my courage in my hands and walked from my place to his. I press the button to his loft and...nothing.


“Fuck!” I sigh. “I knew I should’ve called first.” I try again and still nothing. “You can do this; you made it here so you can…”


“Let me buzz you in.” Brian’s voice comes through the intercom and I grin in relief. “Take the elevator all the way to the top.”  


I pick up the bag I brought with me, but don’t get to open the gate when I get there, as it is opened by a shirtless Brian with damp hair. “Had just got out of the shower during the first buzz. What’s in there?”


I rub my nose and smile. “Stuff for hot chocolate.”


“So proud of you.” He says quietly over his shoulder as he leads me into his infamous loft.


“Why?” I ask, and then look around. “No Ben?”


“With Brandon.” He slams the door to the place. “Hang on…” He pads down some stairs and I hear muttering. “Just telling Gus to stay downstairs.” He tells me as he comes back up.


“So why?”


“Because you are here and I doubt you want…”


“No, I mean why are you proud of me?” I laugh.


“You walked here without Hero.”


“Oh. So are you going to show me around?”


“Sure. This is my kitchen, that is the lounge, there is the bedroom and this is your boyfriend, who would like a proper kiss please and thank you.”


I put the bag down and walk slowly towards him, taking off my coat and putting it carelessly on the sofa. Then I wrap my arms around his waist before resting my head on his chest. “So how many times did you try and leave?” He asks quietly.


“Four.” I mumble and kiss his nipple.


“Go and have a shower. You have your toothbrush and some underwear, right?” The laughter in his voice is unmistakable and he squeezes me tightly. “Through the bedroom.” He gives a gentle shove. “Moon is downstairs with Gus and Nikita.”


Twenty minutes later, I am drying my skin on one of the softest towels I have ever felt. “Must ask him where he gets his towels from or who launders them.” I mutter to myself and then stare incredulously at his shelf. “Wow, just wow.” I gasp as I take in the array of toiletries and take up the first one I can and sniff. “Very nice. And I bet very expensive.” I pick up a large bottle of oil and open it. “Oh my god!” I breathe in the scent of hazelnuts and caramel. “Oh that is just gorgeous.” I look at the label for a few minutes and then close my eyes.


“What are you doing?”


I start with surprise and almost drop the bottle. “Trying to remember the name of it.” I blush all over as I am just wearing a towel.


“You can take the rest if you want.” He takes the bottle from my hand and leads me to the bedroom. “But I need to use a little bit of it.” He peels the towel off of me and spreads it on the bed. “Lie down on your back...” As I get comfortable, he lies on top of me. “...you owe me a kiss, which I will take now.” My agreement is swallowed down his throat and his tongue wraps around mine as yet again, we get lost in a kiss. Normally, it is my fingers in his hair when we kiss unless I am sucking him off. On those occasions, he attempts to plunge his hands into my hair, but I move my head so that he doesn’t touch it. This time I can’t move, and the change in him is instant. He slowly stops kissing me and stares into my eyes. “Can I see?”


With a resigned nod, we sit up and I wait for him to move away from me. Instead, he wraps his legs round me and waits. I take his hand and guide him to the crescent shaped scar. His fingers are gentle as they trace it. “What did he use?”


“Bat.” I reply, and I feel him stiffen. “He hit me twice.”


“Cunt.” He growls.


“Yeah, if I liked that then I wouldn’t have gotten bashed.” I sigh.


“I think it is beautiful.” He murmurs, having been actually looking at it.


“How is that beautiful?”


“Because you survived and there is beauty in every ugliness.”


I don’t know where they come from. Maybe it was the fact that I took four attempts to come here by myself, but I am in floods of tears. I am not sure how he managed to manoeuvre us into bed and take his jeans off, but he is holding me while I cry. My tears slow and I am playing with the sparse hairs on his chest. ”I was 6, no 5, when it first happened.”


“What happened?” I wiggle up so that our faces are level.


“The first time my dad punched me. I was five…”


VIC AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - EARLY SATURDAY MORNING


VIC


I rap harder on his door and am about to start yelling when said door is wrenched open and he glares at me. “You are alive, then?”


“Yes, and I would like to go back to being asleep!” His breath has me stepping backwards.


“I’ll bet. How’s the house hunting going?” I brace myself and head inside his room, swallowing down my revulsion. For a grown man to be living like a teenager is ridiculous! I will not have it, not anymore!


“I have been looking at a few places…”


“Before we continue this conversation, go and brush your teeth!” I order, and pull open the curtains. Daylight does nothing to improve the vision in front of me...neither him nor his bedroom. “This room needs airing before the contractors come...I will see you downstairs.”


Ten minutes later, he has that Captain Mouthyass look on his face as he sits opposite me. “I believe you said something about a contractor. What is happening?”


“None of your concern. So house hunting? You only have a few more days, Michael.”


“But Uncle Vic! I have lived here all of my life…”


“And in a few days, that will no longer be the case. I told you that I would give you two weeks and that time is almost…” I look up when the door knocks and I look at him. “Expecting anyone?”


“Um, well yes, my friend. I…”


“It’s a good job I woke you then, wasn’t it.” I cut him off, tightly. “Why don’t you go and stay with one of them, until you find a place?”


“Of course, why didn’t I think of that? Now that they are lovey dovey, they can move in together and I can rent one of their places!” He squeals and runs to the door letting in his last remaining brother in arms!


“Come on, you’ve gotta help me pack!” He orders him as he takes the stairs two at a time.


“Yes, Captain!” He choruses and follows him up.


STANLEY’S APARTMENT - AN HOUR LATER


STANLEY


I am staring at Michael and Albert and a lot of stuff. “What are you doing here at this time of the morning? What time is it anyway?”


“Minutes passed eight. Which one is mine?” Michael demands as he strides in. “We’re not interrupting anything romantic, are we?” He snarks. “Though I should imagine not since you're wearing those things.”


I shake my head and look down at myself. My first thought is what’s wrong with my jockeys but then my brain catches up with his first question. “Which what is yours? And where the hell do you think you are going?”


“Bedroom in answer to both your questions.” He replies, looking round the apartment. “Is this bigger than Heathan’s? I have made the right choice, then.”


Right choice? Bigger? He surely can’t think that...surely not?


“Stop walking around and tell me what you are doing here with all of that?”


“You know that I have to find another place to live. So I am moving in here. Well until…”


“No, you are not!” I snap and pick up a couple of bags that Albert had brought in and dump them back outside the door. “You don’t get to treat me like shit, mock my life and move in without asking!”


He looks surprised. “Clearly, it is too early for you. I will just sort my room out quietly and then when you are more awake, we will discuss our future living arrangements.


“I said no!” I shout.


“Well, I as your Captain, I am saying yes and…”


“Leaving! You are fucking leaving or I shall call the police.” I growl.


“You wouldn’t dare.” Albert snorts. “Which room is it, my Capt…”


“What the fuck is all of this shit doing in the hallway?” Guido pauses at the door.


“Going anywhere, but here.” I retort and once again, put the bags outside. “A little help please?”


“Sure, what do you need?” Guido asks.


Him out first, he will follow.” I sigh and the room goes quiet.


“You heard the man. This is his place; you are not welcome. He wants you gone, so go.”


“No. He’s just tired and I don’t have to do what you say anyway.” He sneers.


“Well this badge says you do.” Guido flicks his jacket back to reveal his badge and I would’ve burst out laughing at the expressions on their faces if I wasn’t so pissed off!


“What on earth is going on?” Eric calls through the door.


“Michael thinks he’s moving in here.” I sneer. “He’s wrong and Guido is encouraging him to leave under his own steam and not involve anymore of Guido’s Comrades in Arms.


“Does Heathan know you are paying such an early morning visit, Eric?” Albert snickers.


“Yes, I do.” Heathan steps gingerly over the bags. “I see the entitlement express has pulled into the station.” He turns to Michael and Albert. “Seriously, just why?” He heads back to the door and picks up a bag before striding passed us all with it. “Did he get very far with anything?”


“No and where are you going with that?” I demand.


“I’m going to put it on the sidewalk, like you asked.” He declares then opens the window, and drops the bag. “I do hope there is nothing breakable in there.” He smiles brightly. “Which one would you like me to remove next? I am giving you a choice. Isn’t that kind of...”


“Are you fucking crazy?!” Michael shouts as Heathan strides back to the door and picks up another bag. “Albert, do something! Protect my belongings!”


“Which one, Captain?”


“All of them!” He screams, and then there is a crunching sound as Albert, ever the literal, flings himself on top of the bags. “Not like that, you idiot!” He shouts and goes to push him off the bags. That’s when Eric shoves him and they end up in a heap in the hall and we quickly slam the door and lock it. And then burst out laughing.


VIC’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL


I am gobsmacked as Uncle Vic closes the window on me. “I can’t fucking believe the world today. Have they all gone crazy?!” I shout, but to no avail. He simply closes the curtains. “He’s changed the locks, can you believe that?!


“What are you going to do, Captain? Where are you going to go?”


“I can go to a hotel for a few days, until he calms down.” I sigh.


“Or you can stay with me? I have a spare room, too.”


“You do?! Well why didn’t you say?! Let’s go!”


ALBERT’S HOUSE - TWO HOURS LATER


ALBERT’S SPARE BEDROOM


Another secret that my men have kept from me! This room is bigger than mine and the bathroom combined. It’s not to my taste but it will do for now, I suppose.

 

“Albert! Come please! We need to call Royston and get him over to talk about the Taylor Interloping Situation...uh Albert, what are you doing and why are you naked?”

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks