- Text Size +

CHAPTER 36 - THE RIBBON IS CUT AND THE HAMMER STARTS TO FALL


THE OLD CHURCH HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


BATHROOM


JUSTIN


“In you get.” He orders. “Or you don’t get it.” I slowly sink into the water and then dip under and when I come up, he is just smiling. “Such a waterbaby. Here.” He peels the paper off of the bar and hands it to me. “So I take it by the dipping, you want me to wash your hair?”


“Please.” I rewrap the bar and put it on the side then shuffle forward as he gets in behind me. I can’t help but purr as he washes Babylon off of me from head to toe.


“You need to be in here.” He holds open the towel for me to step into, having dried himself off. As per usual, it is soft and warm. “Is Molly in?” I shake my head. “Good, then the hair dryer won’t bother anybody.”


Ten minutes later, I am almost a puddle of gloop as he dries my hair then massages my head. I let him lead me to the Nook and find a bed set up. “When did…?” I begin as we get in and I smile because the shutters are open. “I can’t understand why people say that Pittsburgh is ugly. Look at that.” I sleepily point at the sky.


“As I said, there’s beauty in every ugliness. Now sleep, Kitten.”


“Purr-purr…” I mumble before I succumb to the warmth of his body and sleep.


NORMAN AND EFFY’S HOUSE - SUNDAY AFTERNOON


KITCHEN


EFFY


I am trying to channel casual. He hasn’t said a word about the dinner with Melinda, not a single word. This will not do!


“So, Daddio, how are you?”


“Same as I was when you asked me 20 minutes ago, Effy.”


“Are you expecting any calls or other forms of communication from a female that isn’t related to me?”


“Could you be any more obvious?!” He chortles and then kisses my cheek. “We had a lovely dinner, which we would like to repeat. Good enough?”


“Yes!” I boogie round the kitchen. “So anything else you need to tell me?”


“You need to get your passport changed.”


I frown. “My passport? Why?”


“Because Effy, you are to be no longer legally recognised as Edna-Fanny.”


I stare at him. “You’re getting it changed?!” I scream and fling my arms around my butterball Daddio. “Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you!”


“It’s just the start of it but you are our Effy.”


CHIQUE BOUTIQUE - MONDAY MORNING


OFFICE


LINDSAY


I look through my books once more and can see absolutely nothing for me to worry about for Wednesday. My only worry is the impending divorce, but I am a woman and a WASP. I will use my wiles to get my way...and my way is half and custody of Effy.


The front door knocking startles me a bit since it is obvious that I am closed, but I go to answer it and find Norman outside. Adopting a weary countenance, I open the door.


“May I come in?” I step aside and he enters with a small chuckle. “I see some things are back. Anyway, the reason I’m here is about the audit of your store...”


Our store, Norman. Remember, you own 15% of it?”


“Not in the event of a legal separation or divorce, I don’t. Remember that joke clause and the other one you put in?”


“I…”


“I mean the no infidelity clause, which you violated.” He continues. “And then there’s Effy. While you are still considered her mother, she doesn’t want to live with you. She asked me to tell you as she doesn’t want to speak to you either.”


“You’ve poisoned her against me!” I sob, and he laughs...actually laughs!


“No, you did that by treating her like a project instead of a daughter. Your temper tantrums when she didn’t do what a good WASP daughter should, did that. Then, you cheating on me and hitting me, poisoned her against you. Funny how those particular skeletons look when they jump out and do a jig right before your eyes, huh Lindsay? Not able to turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to what your own actions have wrought this time, huh? I would feel a little sorry for you, but my feelings aren’t set up that way. Anyway, now that I’ve said what I came to say, I wish you good luck for Wednesday. From what Ted said, you are going to need it!”


“Ted?” I stop sobbing. “What does Ted have to do with anything?”


“Well when I thought I had some ownership, I had him look at the books and he found something very interesting. I do hope you haven’t filed yet. Bye, Lindsay.”


We have filed, Norman! I told you that! You never listen to me…”


“Like I said, good luck and goodbye.”


I roll my eyes as he saunters out. “I will get the all clear, Norman and Effy will be living with me in that house!”


LFD - TUESDAY EARLY AFTERNOON


DINER


JACOB


God, I love working here! I clear another table in my section and look up when Kiki’s voice turns from cheerful to chagrined. And then I hear the reason why.


“Jacob, I would like a menu and a table. Ah, there’s one. You need to clean it so I can use it.” The snotty ass tones of Michael Novotny pervade the air, and I smile as he finds the one dirty table to sit at. Unfortunately for him, that table is not in my section. That’s Lucille’s section, and this should be good to say the least. I clear my throat twice, which is our signal for come now and sure enough, Kiki and Miley are suddenly hovering by the archway as Lucille comes in with the slops bucket to clean the one remaining table. And then she comes to a halt and looks around her section.


“Excuse me, sir, if you could move to that table over there? Then I will be right…”


“I want to sit here. And he will be right with me!” He retorts...bad idea!


“He will not! This is my section.”


“Then I will move to his section. You are clearly slacking and lacking and…”


“In what?”


“Your duties and customer service. The customer is always right, after all.” He says loudly and there is tisking and sighing as the diner starts to go quiet.


“You are more than welcome to move to his section, but you’ll have to wait because it is full at the moment. And now the clean table that you chose, as a customer not to sit at, has gone. So excuse me, Mr So Not Right, while I go and serve those customers.” She starts to walk away and he makes the monumental mistake of grabbing her arm. “You would do well to let go, sir!”


“I can do what...hey! What the fuck are you doing?!” He screams as she dumps the food from the slop bucket on his head to the sound of clapping and cheering.


“...and get the fuck out!” She snarls, grabbing his arm in a vice like grip and dragging him through the dinner, to more caterwauling and applause, and then out the back.


“Oh fuck, that’s mad! Kiki!” I yell, as I know what she’s going to do and we all dash outside, followed by some customers. We’re just in time to see her turn the hose on him to clean him off.


“There, nice and clean!” Lucille snaps and stands over the shivering, and now quiet, heap that is Michael Novotny. “You. Are. Leaving.” She repeats and he crawls away from her before he stands up and squelches away.


Her head drops and she slowly takes off her apron and hands it to Kiki. “Sorry, but nobody touches me. It’s my one rule.”


Kiki pushes the apron back towards her. “You were defending yourself, as is your right. Now go and clean that table and we will say nothing more about it. Will we?”


There is a rousing chorus of no and she smiles in relief. And we all head back in, chuckling to our sections. Yes, I so love working here!


KINNETIC - LATE AFTERNOON


CONFERENCE ROOM


BRIAN


I click off the screen and turn to face them and I know how Emmy is feeling as he has his heroine in his lap and is dabbing his eyes with tissues. “So, it’s okay?” I am not normally uncertain, but this is now,  bececause of Justin, a very personal project for me.


“It’s perfect, Kocky. Just perfect!” Bucky adjusts Star on his knee.


“So it’s going to run in the usual spots for free and…”


“Okay, where is that asshole who I know and love?!” We all whip our heads to the door and there, in all her bewigged glory, is Debbie Horvath!


“De...?!” I gasp and that is confirmed when she damn near squeezes the life out of me! “Is everything okay?!” I demand, checking her over but she looks great.


“Don’t call him an asshole!” Justin snaps from behind her. “He’s not and who the hell are you?!” She blinks twice at me and turns around. “I asked you a question! Who is this person that I need to bitchslap for insulting my boyfriend?!”


“Ah Justin, this…”


“Big mouth is...”


“Justin! Darling boy, this…” Emmy tried to interject.


“What’s the matter has the cat got that considerable tongue of yours?” He steps up to her, his eyes blazing.


“Debbie Horvath, his mother in all but genetics. And you are?”


“D-Debbie as in Michael’s…” He trails off as his face drains of all colour.


“The very same. Oh, you have a protector in this little one, kiddo. But everyone gets to step once and I am going to let you have that one free because you don’t know me. So you get to do it one time again. Choose it wisely. But I know all about you. Vic has done nothing but sing your praises to the heavens. As for why I am here, it’s for two reasons: One is the opening of the new Tower and the second, although a real trial, is to sort Michael out.” She sighs and sits down before patting the seat next to her and he sits. “I know it isn’t going to mean much, but I am sorry for what my asinine bonehead of a son has been doing to you. But now I am back and it’s going to end.”


“I am really so…”


“My tits are already in a knot, honey; don’t make it tighter.” She pats his cheek. “Never apologise for defending the ones you love. I shouldn’t have called him an asshole. It’s a bit of a habit, so I apologise for doing that. Right…” She stands up and opens her arms to Emmy, who rushes into them. “Now you all are going to catch me up on the love and furballs we have acquired!”

 

 

Ten minutes later, it is just me and him in the room. “So that’s Mom, then?” He fiddles with his cuffs.


“Yeah…” I say and close the door then press the intercom. “Cyn, I am not to be disturbed unless the building is on fire.” I hang up before she can reply. “So the Tiger came out…”


“I was just...ummm.” He moans as I kiss him, slide his coat off and pull him closer. His hands come up to bury in my hair and slowly but surely I push him back onto the conference table.


“You were just what?” I ask as I lick his pretty pink lips before paying homage on his neck, I delight in making him squirm and giggle. “Kitten, you were what?” I slowly pop open the buttons on the shirt he is soon not to be wearing and open it up. He gives a little gasp as I kiss a path to his already hardening nipples. “Such a responsive body, but the mouth is still to answer the question…”


“I didn’t like the way s-she spoke about you and oh-oh…” He pants out as I stroke his burgeoning cock through his dampening jeans.


“That will do Kitten, that will do.” I purr before I make very slow and gentle love to him.


VIC’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


LOUNGE


DEBS


“Now he is just adorable!” I stroke the silkiness that are Shiitake’s ears and smile. It’s good to be here, but it’s going to be even better to go back. “So who’s Graham?” Vic splutters on his coffee. “Effy has been keeping me posted as you haven’t. Has there been a date or anything?”


“We play chess and I keep winning.”


“For fuck sake, you’re a Grassi with me for a sister! Just ask him already!” I declare with a smile.


“Okay, after our next game.”


“Which is tomorrow, so before the ceremony and then I shall casually come and say hi…”


“Debs…” He growls, blushing.


“Okay, you can signal me first and then I will come over. Better?” He nods and smiles. “Now, onto a more serious subject, what are you going to do with this place? Are you absolutely sure you want to move?”


“Yes, it’s too big for me. And now that Michael has gone, thank fuck, it’s time. I was only keeping it for you and you don’t want it, right?”


“God, no! I am done with Pittsburgh, but I have an idea. I’ve not met Annalise or Leda but from what you’ve said they are good people. Sell it to them. Maybe offer it as a...”


“A halfway house?”


“Yes. It kinda was when I was living here. Let’s make it official. Call them now.” I order.


“One sec! Where the hell is my phone? Aha!” I look around the house as he waits for the call to connect and feel...nothing. Well I do, but I also feel happy that this is going to be used for something good. “Anna, it’s Vic. I have Debs here, wait let me put her on speaker. Look, I want to move from here and need to sell the house…”


“Are you leaving the Pitts?”


“No, just downsizing.”


“Oh, thank goodness. So what do you need me for...wait, can I buy your house?”


“That’s exactly what I suggested. Hi, this is Debs…”


ALBERT’S APARTMENT - WEDNESDAY MORNING


MICHAEL’S ROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

I have a fucking cold! Not the sniffles as Albert summarily dismissed, but a fucking cold! I stagger out of bed and head to my bathroom. I need a nice soothing bath, but I look at the toiletries from the Big Q and scowl. “Albert!” I shout out and he doesn’t reply. But just to be sure, I do a search round the apartment finally ending up, praying, at his bathroom door. “Are you in there?”


Silence.


“I need some Advil and have run out.”


Silence.


I push on the door and it’s not locked. I smile in relief and delight and head in, then come to a stop. There is nothing in here! Not a single bottle of bubble bath or shower gel, nor those nice fizzy bombs that I like. He’s moved the lot! Well, I am not having that! I share my stuff with him; it’s not my fault he doesn’t take advantage of that! I march to his bedroom and am about to enter when he opens the door. “Jesus, you startled me! Why didn’t you answer when I called?”


“I was listening to some whale music. What did you want?”


“Advil.”


“Kitchen cupboard where it always...why is my bathroom door open?”


“I was looking for Advil.” I retort.


“Of course, you were. Well now you know where it is. I take it you’re not coming?”


“Coming where?”


“To the reopening ceremony of the Vaseline Tower.”


“No, why would I want to go to that?” I sneer.


“Because they are doing a nice thing and it looks really good.” He replies and then I notice that he’s got clothes on!


“You’re dressed.” I point out.


“Well observed. I don’t go outside naked. So I shall see you later.” He steps out of his room and locks the door.


“When did you start locking your door?”


“When you started to forget that the Advil is downstairs.”


SOUP AND DROP - AN HOUR LATER


ALBERT


I start and then stop and then start again. I can’t go in, I can’t. I’ve been such an enormous shit to them! “You going in or not, dude?” A voice behind me makes me jump and I step aside to let them enter. Sighing, I head away from the door.


“Albert! Albert! Where are you going?” I hear Royston calling out. “Soup and Drop is this way.”


“Yeah, I know but…”


“Just say that you're sorry.” He tells me and steers me back to the building.


“Hi, Albert. Royston.” Heathan calls out as he flies passed with some food to a very cold looking young boy.


“Hi. Look I know you’re busy, but I wanted to say sorry for everything and…”


“Finally got to you too, did he?” Royston chuckles.


“Oh, for the love of fuck! The man is annoying and grabby and selfish and loud and immature and oooh... I just can’t believe I thought he was as cool as he thinks he is!”


“Apology accepted. But I am really busy, so…”


“Want a hand?” I ask, looking around. “What can I do?” Both Royston and Heathan are staring at me in surprise. “What can I do?” I repeat and soon I am on shower duty and unlike some, happy to do it.


An hour later, the rush has died down. “So this YEP thing, do they need contributions or sponsorship?” I ask Heathan.


“They always will need that, but the Avenue is supporting them and...why?”


“I would like to contribute in two ways. One, I want to keep working here...if you’d let me.” I look uncertainly at Odette, but she’s nodding and smiling. “And two, I can give a million dollars.”


The entire building goes silent. “A what?” Odette asks, quietly.


“A million dollars. My dad is Harold Gale of Gale Enterprises. I have a stipend due this month and haven’t used the last one so you guys might as well have it. It’s going to be spent anyway.”


“G-Gale Enterprises?” Royston stammers. “Your.  Your father is…”


“Yes. Didn’t I tell you that?”


“No!” Royston gapes at me. “Albert... Albert, are you sure?”


“Yes, I can transfer it now if you...Heathan!” I shout as he slithers to the floor.


ALBERT’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


MICHAEL


Well I have had my horrible bath and now that I have the place to myself, I am going to do what I want. And what I want is to put up my posters. I look around for the perfect spot for the first one and using the blue tac he has insisted on, I make a start.


SOUP AND DROP - TEN MINUTES LATER


OFFICE


HEATHAN


“Hey babe, get up slowly.” I am dimly aware that this is Stanley’s voice and sit up. “I have some water, drink it slowly.” I take the glass from him and finish the water. “How you feeling?”


“Like I am in an alternate universe. Albert told us that his father is basically Daddy Warbucks and offered his stipend of a million dollars.”


“He’s not Daddy Warbucks and I did. And have. But it’s an anonymous donation so that info doesn’t leave this room.” I look around this room to see Odette, Tabs, Royston, Annalise and Leda, all of whom have tears in their eyes. “Why have you never said...about your dad, I mean?”


“Didn’t feel the need to. Besides, can you imagine what he would do with that information?”


“Wow, just wow.” I sigh and then cough. “Albert, you…”


“I know, but apart from the odd niggling thing, he’s not done anything bad.”


LINDSAY’S APARTMENT


LINDSAY


That did not just happen! I stare at the paper again. I have to pay them $66,809 by the end of the next quarter in back taxes! It would’ve been $66,810 but she rounded down for me! Well Norman, it's time to get your wallet out, fatboy!


The alarm going means I have to get ready. I’m going to the opening of the Vaseline Tower.


YEP, SHADYSIDE


DEBS


I have tears in my eyes as Brian shows me around. I take picture after picture to show Carl and Gilda. “They are so kind. Just so kind!” I murmur and then smile as Star trots passed me with a very, very big stick. “That…”


“Anyone see Star?” A voice calls.


“Headed to Teach!” A voice calls back.


“Teach?” I look at Brian and he grins. “Ah, Brandon. I like him and Bucky.”


“Star, it is too big. You aren’t going to get it...oh, okay. You are.”


“Ty, you are supposed to be discouraging him from carrying logs!” Another voice calls out.


“Who is that?” I whisper and Brian leads me out into the hallway just in time to see the remains of a tree being tugged into a room.


“Ty, Arch, I want you to meet someone. This is Debbie Horvath. She’s…”


“The Mother of Liberty Avenue. Nice to meet you, I’m Ty, and your son is an asshole!”


I blink and then smile. “Nice to meet you. You can call me Debs, and yes he is. What is it you do here?”


“Dog Club. As well as schooling, we make sure the dogs are looked after. We run a little business looking after the dogs of Shadyside. We walk them and make sure they are happy and then give them back.”


“And, speaking of your little business, have you done your accounts this week? You can’t keep putting it off.” Brandon says as he hauls the log out of the room. “Wherever it is you go for him to find this, you are forbidden to go there again!”


“No, we haven’t.” He sighs and I frown.


“What’s the problem?” I ask.


“Not good at math and…”


“Let me see.” I order and scan the figures. “How long have you been doing this?”


“About a month.”


“A month!” Brian gasps, having been reading over my shoulder. “Give me that!” For ten minutes, we both pour over the figures and he shows it to Brandon.


“A business plan on my desk by next Monday, please and thank you. I think we can allow them to take the first profit and…”


“Profit?” They chorus.


“Yeah, you have about a grand’s worth of profit there. Normally, I would say plough it back in, but go treat yourselves.”


“A grand as in a thousand dollars?” Ty stares wide eyed.


“Yes honey, as in a thousand dollars.” I give him a hug as he looks like he’s going to cry. “I can go with you, if you'd like; help you buy the things you want without you going crazy.” They both just nod.


ALBERT’S APARTMENT


MICHAEL’S ROOM


MICHAEL


"For fuck sake, this is ridiculous!" I groan as the poster slides down to the floor, again. This blue tac isn’t working. I head to the kitchen and find what I am looking for and go back upstairs.


“It’s just a few nails. What could possibly happen?”


VASELINE TOWER OPENING CEREMONY - EARLY EVENING


DEBS


Wow and I mean wow! This looks incredible! “Is this the same place? Are you sure?!” I demand of Annalise and she nods. “Oh I wish Carl was here. He would be so happy.”


“I hear you are the Mother of Missouri now.” Annalise smiles and I shake my head.


“I am Mother’s Little Helper. The Mother in question is Gilda. Man, if we could have YEP over there…”


“Find a place and we’ll do it.” She replies.


“What?!” I gape at her and she is looking completely serious.


“We already have them in New York and Cali, amongst others; one to be in Chicago, and now here. So why not Missouri? And besides, it will keep you connected food wise to your Ems.”


“Huh?”


“He and Justin provide the food.” She grins. “And I provide the tissues. Here.”


“Grandmom! Grandmom!” I hear the dulcet tones of, thank fuck it is going to be official, Effy as she runs towards me. “I am so happy to see you! Gus is coming. Nikita threw a strop when Star stood on her tail, but they are friends again. She just needed some daddy loving.”


“Grandmom!” Gus bellows and gallops over.


“Still not grown into those legs, have you?”


“I’m waiting for my spurt to kick in!” He laughs.


“Oh for fuck…” Annalise grumbles and I see why. For heading towards us, as if she’s not just shit on the kindest man in the world, is their mother.


“Behind me!” I order them and they comply.


“Debs, what a pleasure to see you! How has Missouri been treating you?” Lindsay simpers.


“Damn sight better than you have been treating your husband and children!” I growl.


“Now Debs, let’s not have a scene…”


“Go away, Mom! We want to have a nice time and that means you are not here.” Gus retorts.


“I want to arrange a time for us to see each other. Is that too much for a mother to ask?”


“You want to arrange a time to see them? Ooh, so tell me, what was wrong with the time between you leaving the house and now? Or were you too busy being tongue fucked to care then?”


“Debs, keep your voice down!” She hisses.


“Why? You, brazen hussy that you are, would be screaming from the rooftops if Norman cheated on you, not that he ever would. And I can tell you when you get to see my grandchildren, that would be the twelfth of never, or maybe the fifth of go fuck yourself or the eleventh of leave before I get mad!”


The entire square is silent.


“Did anyone write that down? That is the stuff of legend!” Annalise laughs, and then steers us away from a stupefied, Lindsay.


“Hey, Debs! Debs! Wait!” I turn around and gape as Carl and Gilda come up to me. “Ems and Drew sorted out the tickets.” He explains. “So proud of you just then. So proud! And…”


“Why are you still standing there? Go home and think about what you have lost because lost it, you have! Now, where is this Norman that this loose hebetudinous harlot of a cunt threw over? And this Melinda lady that he’s got his heart set on?”


“She took advantage of the free bar and Effy never said a word...okay?” He advises his eyes twinkling.


“Absolutely.”


ALBERT’S APARTMENT


MICHAEL’S ROOM


MICHAEL


Finally, they are all up! I don’t understand what Albert was bitching about with the blue tac. Those small nails have made no difference in the decor; you could hardly tell they were there! I am bushed and am going to bed.


MAYOR OF PITTSBURGH


“...as I was saying! You can always rely on Deb Horvath to get her message across succinct and to the point. Speaking of which, can the Matriarch of the Avenue please come up and officially open the Hope Tower?"


Hope Tower?” Deb sniffs.


“Yes. We changed the name and added a little something.” Annalise points up and there, like a beacon, is a glowing light. “So they know where to head when they need a little guidance.”


It takes three tearful attempts, but the Hope Tower is open and the first thing she does is start cooking!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively, thank you.