- Text Size +

CHAPTER 37 - A TRUTH WILL KEEP YOU HERE A LIE WILL SET YOU FREE


HOPE TOWER - AN HOUR LATER


KITCHEN


DEBS


“So each room has tea making facilities but the kitchen is communal?” I ask Annalise as Gilda and I bustle about filling the freezers and sorting out their cupboards. Like typical kids, they just dumped everything in. “I like the fact you’ve not made it too much. They’ve got what they need but have to work for what they want. Hunter, you need to get more helpers!”


“Yes ma’am...I mean, Debs!” He corrects quickly, but he doesn’t need to go far as three boys come up to help.


“So Soup and Drop have a pound in the back and that’s where those who have dogs leave them?”


“Not overnight. We have an arrangement with the local ASPCA. We rent space from them. Now that the Tower is open, their dogs can come here.” Annalise replies, looking incredulous as we fly around the kitchen. “Jesus, I am tired just looking at the pair of you!”


“Now where is that pretty girlie of yours?” Gilda asks. “Taste, then answer.”


“Oh god, is it bad that I want to take this home?” She groans and she licks the spoon clean of the marinara sauce.


“Yes!” Hunter retorts, smiling. “Our food!”


“Meanie. Leda has gone back home to walk Blue. Albert, come on sit down. You’ve done enough today.”


“Just this one more box...” He huffs. “...then I will go home.” He finishes and then heads back outside.


“Albert? Isn’t that the guy that Michael now lives with? Wasn’t he one of...” Carl asks, pausing to take out a roast chicken, which someone had prepared before the ceremony and is now perfectly cooked. The smell causes all eyes to swivel in his direction.


“Yeah, he’s apologised and is now helping out.” Hunter replies, just staring at the chicken.


“This needs to cool and then be portioned up and put in the fridge.” Carl chuckles as everyone is locked onto the chicken. “Same with the others.”


“Others? There’s more than one?” Carl nods. “So we could have that one now?” Hunter asks, licking his lips.


“Well I suppose we could and have the meatballs another…”


“Yeah, let’s do that!” Hunter exclaims and then orders his helpers to set the table.


An hour later, there are some full young teens who have been sharing their life stories.


“Right, what about laundry?” Gilda asks, looking around. “Don’t see machines.”


“Basement. Washers and dryers...” Annalise begins to answer.


“Okay those who have dirty clothes, go get them now and we’ll do a load before we go!” Gilda orders and they troop upstairs.


CARL


Finally at nearly midnight, I have helped Mom upstairs in Vic’s house as she is using Michael’s, now fumigated, old room. Then I head back to the car. She and Vic get on so well and she took one look at Shiitake, declared him hers until she leaves and that’s that.


Norman has insisted we stay with them, so we are heading there but I know she’s not looking forward to tomorrow. “So how are we going to play this?”


“There is no we. He’s my son and…”


“You are my wife. He is causing you problems, so that makes him our problem.” I tell her firmly. “So again, how are we going to play this?”


“I have no idea at all. But he needs to move away from here.”


“I agree.”


“But, not Missouri!” She adds quickly. “Either me or Gilda would kill him!”


“And I’d bury the body!” I chuckle. “Now enough about him, let’s get some rest.” I tell her as I pull into Norm’s.


BRIAN’S LOFT - THURSDAY MORNING


BEDROOM


JUSTIN


There is a distinct lack of Brian, but there is a wonderful smell. I look around and decide to follow my nose. “Go back to bed after you brush your teeth.” He calls out. I smile and do an about face.


Ten minutes later, he comes in with a tray. I see, rather smell, the coffee...my favourite duly noted...and then see what look like waffles. “You have a waffle maker?” I take the coffees off the tray and put them on the side.


“I do. Had an idea. Oh, did you hear about Debs’s slapdown to Lindsay?”


“Aww! I wanted to tell you about that. It needs to be on a tee-shirt.”


“Working on the copyright.” He snickers. “Here, try it.” He hands the plate over to me. “First, without syrup or asking.” I take a bite and chew, then look at him and move to the end of the bed. “I made them for you. Hey, come back here!” He laughs. “Want syrup?”


“What is in this and can I have it every day?” I ask as I shuffle back under the covers he holds up for me...he so loves me!


“Candied walnuts and bacon waffles and no. They are for when you have been especially protective of me.”


“Fine. I need to start a war with someone. They are gorgeous!” I cut him a piece and he nods his agreement. “I know... I will start with Lindsay! She’s always been mean to you and…”


“You can’t get those for protecting retrospectively!” He snickers and then sighs. “What am I going to do about that?”


“Nothing. It’s her fuck up to fix. Let her fix it, if she even wants to.” I respond firmly. “How many times, apart from when Moon pissed on her bag, has she been in contact with Gus? And last night doesn’t count since you could hardly call that contact.”


“I know but…”


“Stop trying to fix other people’s shit. You’ll exhaust yourself and the only way I want you like that is if I have fucked you into the mattress or vice versa.” I feed him another piece of waffle and smirk before putting the plate on the side. “That was a hint, by the way.” I murmur as I clamber into his lap.


“I thought it might be. So go to it. I am exhausted from having chopped, candied and....” I seize his mouth with mine to stop the wholly unnecessary chatter!


“Wait a second…” I mutter against his lips. “When did you get a waffle maker? I’ve been here a few times and haven’t seen one.”


“A client gave it to me and I’ve never used it until I had my idea. But back to exhausting me or shall I tell you the recipe first?” He chuckles and skims the inside of my thighs.


“Recipe.” I admit, sheepishly.


“Basic waffle mix but used duck eggs and no salt, then fry and chop, don’t chop then fry, the bacon off. Set that aside…”


“Smoked and...” I lean over and take another bite of waffle. “...what’s the cut?”


“Yes, Applewood smoked and streaky. Then finely chop the walnuts and then fry in butter but don’t get them too dark. Then mix with the bacon and waffle mix and there you have it.”


“This level of work deserves a lot of exhausting…” I whisper into his ear. “...you may have to call Cynthia…” I chuckle as he scrambles for his phone.


ALBERT’S APARTMENT - EARLY AFTERNOON


LOUNGE


ALBERT


Something feels off. I can’t think what it is, but something is definitely off. I look around and everything seems to be in place. I look through the kitchen and that’s fine. In fact, it’s more than fine. It’s as immaculate as I left it. As is my bathroom!


“Michael?” I call out and there is no reply. I head to his door and knock and still nothing. “Are you in there?” Again silence. “I’m going to open the door after I count to three, if you don’t answer! Starting to count now...1,2…”


“What are you doing?” Michael demands as he comes through the front door.


Well that explains the tidiness!


“I was worried when you didn’t answer and I couldn’t find a trace of you around so…”


“The Mother of Liberty Avenue has returned and…”


“I saw Debs last night and…”


“First, it’s Mrs Novotny and secondly, where did you see her?”


She said I can call her Debs, so that is what I shall do. Besides, it’s Mrs Horvath and at the Hope Tower after she opened it.”


“She never said anything about that!” He exclaims. “I would’ve come and claimed my rightful position by her side!”


“So what do you have there?” I ask, wincing at the sugar ladened products in his hands.


“Captain Crunch, of course. Had to top up and also my supply of comics. Now excuse me, I am going to my room and then she’s treating me to lunch.”


“I hope you dress appropriately this time.” I sniff.


“What do you mean appropriately?” He looks down at himself and I shake my head. “You can talk? You spend most of your time naked!”


“In the privacy of my own home. I would not wear an ‘eat cock’ tee to a restaurant, for example, and especially not with my mother.”


“You don’t know my mother. It was her tee!”


“Did she wear it outside of the diner, where that form of clothing was expected of Debs?


“Again, it’s Mrs Hor...Novotny! And well no she didn’t but…”


“Then she has a sense of propriety that you would do well to pick up.” I remark tartly and pick up my jacket.


“Where are you going?” He snarks. “All dressed up in your finest gear!”


“To work. A concept you have gotten far too used to doing without. It’s lucky for you that I am a generous person. Anyone else would’ve had you out on your lazy ass.” I put on my jacket and pause. “What was that noise?”


“I didn’t hear anything.” He retorts.


“Sounds like slithering. I definitely heard slithering. Coming from in there.” I tap his door and arch a brow. He shrugs his permission for me to open the door and I spot the poster over the window is now on the floor. “That must have been it.”


“The blue tac is not holding.” He grumps.


“Then perhaps get a lighter and shorter poster.” I call out as I head to the door. “Later.”


MICHAEL


Later?! Later! Who is he trying to kid with this down with the kids lingo. I pick up my poster and check for damage and luckily for him, it is fine. I peel the blue tac off the window frame and take out the hammer and nails again.


Twenty minutes later, I am pleased with it. He wanted the window blocked? Well, it is blocked and there is no way that it is falling down again, not with the nails I put in. I put the hammer and nails in the bottom of the drawer and check my other posters and they too, are still secure.


“Did I hear hammering?!” Albert demands from the doorway.


“For fuck sake! Stop creeping up on me like that!”


“I was not creeping up! You most likely didn’t hear me above the hammering. So did I?”


“No you heard me pressing and thumping the blue tac to get it to stick.” I reply.


“You have been busy.” He steps into the room and looks around. “All of them, but the one over the window down by this evening please? I said one poster.”


“Albert! I am allowed to…”


“Move out if you feel that is too onerous a dictate for you! But remember you would need to find a place, a job and you would need a reference and I will be unstintingly honest in my assessment of you.”


“Fine, I will take them down.” I grouch.


“Why not do it now? While you remember, I mean.”


“Because…” I grab my wallet, not that I am going to be spending any money. “I am going to lunch. So I will do it when I come back.”


“Make sure you do please. Have a nice lunch. Oh and can you remind Debs to send the recipe for the marinara sauce please?”


I glare at his retreating back as he walks along the street and get curious. Checking the time, I see I have enough to check out where he works and then meet Ma and Carl. Following at a safe distance, I am surprised that he is going virtually the same way as me anyway. I’m even more astonished as he walks into Soup and Drop. Squaring my shoulders and making sure that the nobodies aren’t around, I push the door open and make a beeline for him. “What are you doing here?” I demand.


“As I said before I left, working, I work here. Well only just started yesterday.”


“Why?”


“I had time on my hands and wanted to be useful. Excuse me. Jebediah, you’re up next!” I watch incredulous as he sends the boy to the showers and takes his dog outside, so I follow.


“Albert, are you doing my old job?”


“This is what you did? No wonder you quit.” He snickers and I smile at that. The camaraderie is coming back. “Hard work and doing something for others has never been your forte, has it?”


“What is wrong with you? You’ve been sniping for a couple of days now!”


“I was wrong to follow your lead on what you were trying to do to Justin. So have apologised to him and Heathan and Stanley for telling you about the dinner. Though it worked out well for them, in the end. I think they are very sweet together. Don’t you have a lunch to get to?”


“Shit! Yeah, I do. Can we talk this evening about this sudden personality change? It’s weird and the Captain doesn’t like it!” I smirk now that I have used my salutation and wait for his reaction.


“Well then the Captain should change his behaviour. I have always had this personality but never, until now, had the reason to show it to you. Now you mustn’t keep Debs and Carl waiting, must you?”


He definitely sneered then! I will deal with him later!


I am meeting Ma and Carl at the top of Liberty Avenue and then walking down to where we’re eating. Not sure where that is, but there you go. I spot her red hair, glinting in the sunshine and trot up to her. “Hi Ma, Carl. Where are we going? I’m starved!”


“It is customary to ask people how they are when you first see them.” A familiar and hackle rising voice comes from behind me and slumping my shoulders, I turn around.


I sigh. “Gilda, what are you doing here?”


“Lunch and back up. Come on, Vic let’s go. It’s too cold for these old bones!” She has his shit-dog on his lead and loops arms with him. “Now what was it you said that I should have?”


I turn to Ma in confusion. “Why is she here?”


“Lunch and back-up.” Carl repeats her words back to me. “Come on. They’ve opened up especially early, just for us!”


Ten minutes later, I am staring at the doors of LFD and then at Ma. “Here?” We are eating here?”


“Well, we are. You feel free to go elsewhere if being here bothers you. But I have heard nothing but good about the food and intend to indulge. We can always talk to you later, because we will talk, Michael.” Ma retorts, holding the door open. “You coming in or not?” I fold my arms and follow her in.


“Debs!” Kiki shrieks like she got goosed as she comes out the kitchen and rushes to hug her.


“Hey, Kiki! Girl, you are looking good! Missed you last night. You were working?”


“Yes. Had a private function, so moi was the hostess with the…”


“Leastest.” I snicker.


“You’re hungry, remember?!” Carl snaps and then hugs Kiki. “Now Kiki, this is Gilda, my Mom. Mom this is Kiki, who we told you about and…”


“She is going to get me a Manhattan and some measuring tape. I need me that dress for the dance!”


“Hi everyone.” Molly comes out and kisses everyone, but me, hello. Not that I’m bothered, but then when Eric does the same, that is particularly galling!


“Well, aren’t you all chummy.” I snipe. “Where are we sitting?”


“Watch your mouth and it won’t be on the curb for you!” Gilda snaps.


“The VIP table is ready and…Miles will be our server.”


Our?!! I watch in dismay as Kiki sits down and is followed by Traitor Vic.


“You sitting or not?” Ma demands and I slump into the seat next to her.


“So we’re having turkey wings to share, the DCRs with string fries and the dessert is a fudge brownie sundae.”


“Power walking tomorrow.” Carl laughs.


“What’s a DCR?” I ask.


“Duck confit Reuben.” Ma replies and I roll my eyes.


“How pretentious. This is Liberty Avenue; you don’t do that on Liberty Avenue.” I sneer.


“Now is as good a time as any to begin this conversation since you are determined to be an ass. You need to leave the Avenue, Michael. Find a new life for yourself! Fixating on the past, my past particularly, is getting you nowhere but in trouble and being ridiculed...”


I gawp at her. “Ma! What are…”


“...,and with Vic moving out of the house and…”


“You’re moving out?! Then, I can move…”


“...and it’s being sold to Annalise by the end of next week. There is nothing left here for you.”


“Wait what? You are selling the house to my nemesis?!”


“She’s not your nemesis in the comic book sense you mean, you numbskull! In the real world, she’s your ex-boss, who you will need a reference from! And if you don’t watch the way you speak to Albert, he’s going to be your ex-roomie before you leave town!” Eric snaps as he puts down the wings.


“My boss was Odette and…”


“You called her O-bitch, most of the time. How do you think a reference from her is going to work out? At least with Annalise, you have a fighting chance for some neutrality!” Carl again snaps at me at the same time as snapping a wing in half. “Molly, what are the chances of me getting some of the rub from this to take home?!”


“Pretty high!” She calls back and then comes in with a jar. “It was Brian’s suggestion, but don’t tell him that you know it was.”


“I won’t.” He laughs.


“Where am I supposed to go? I take it you already have somewhere lined up for me?” I crack out bitterly and blink back tears.


“No. You need to find that somewhere for yourself.”


“But not Missouri. You ain’t staying with me!” Gilda announces. “Molly darling, another pot of rub if you can, please. He won’t share!”


“Of course, Gilda.” She laughs and heads back to the kitchen before stopping. “How hot do you want it?”


“Pardon?”


“Well Brian likes spicy food and Justin adds ghost pepper to his so…”


“With...don’t do his though. He’s a wuss.”


“CAN WE FOCUS ON HOW YOU GUYS ARE SO CALLED RUNNING MY FUCKING LIFE FOR A MINUTE?!” I thunder.


“And this is why you should leave the Avenue! People don’t like or respect you.” Carl thunders back. “And if you cared at all for your mother’s legacy, that’s what you would do!”


I get up slowly and look derisively at them all. “I am going nowhere, so you can all fuck off!” I then turn and quickly run out before Ma has a chance to catch up with me! I decide to drown my sorrows and head to Woody’s. Two hours later, I am slightly wobbling home and then pause. For in the secure area, are all my cases and my posters... my torn and crumpled posters. I storm up to the apartment and try to open the door, but the chain is on.


“Albert!” I shout through the door opening. “Open this door, right now!”


“No.” He replies calmly as he approaches. “You are out. I don’t like liars and you lied to me.”


“What are you…”


“You said you didn’t use a hammer and you did all over the bedroom. I came home and found a swarm, coming out of your bedroom. So I have packed for you. You will be pleased to find I am very neat and make an efficient use of space. Now go away! You have to find a place to live.” He goes to shut the door, but I put my foot in. He stares at it for a few seconds. “You are wearing sneakers. The chain on this door is not long enough to let you in, but it is long enough to afford me a good swing and you a broken foot!”


“Albert…” I wheedle.


“Foot broken or unbroken, your choice…” He starts to pull the door back and when I pull my foot back, he slams it shut. Then I hear the deadbolt being put on and my phone beeps. I had the locks changed, too. I won’t charge you as it was your behaviour that led to that, but wish you and your new roomies good luck.


I roll my eyes and head back to the secure area to gather my things and go in search of a cab and a hotel.


ALBERT’S APARTMENT


ALBERT

 

I smile to myself. Yes, I am a lover of insects but not all of them. For example, those fire ant larvae I packed within his underwear, not a favourite...

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks