- Text Size +

CHAPTER 39 - PLANS ARE SET IN MOTION...AND THERE’S A SWITCHEROO


57TH PRECINCT LOCK UP - LATER THAT DAY


DESK SERGEANT SHAW


I don’t say a word as Carl comes in again. I feel sorry for the guy. He moves to Missouri to get away, let’s face it, from the pathologically pathetic prick, and what happens? Novotny keeps causing problems by just being himself. Case in point, he is currently whining because he doesn’t have a toothbrush and has a headache.


“I just want some Advil. If my stepfather was still here, I wouldn’t have been arrested and…”


“Oh he’s your stepfather now, is he? Now that he can do you a favour you are willing to acknowledge him as such, huh?” I hear one of the lock up guards bitching back. “That’s funny because I remember when they announced they were moving to Missouri, he was that mother stealing bastard.”


“I was upset at the time but I have…”


“And a grizzled, old, homophobic cop wanker.”


“...since…”


“Douche diving motherfucker.”


“I never said douche, I said muff…”


“...Leery old…”


“My, you have been creative, haven’t you Michael?” Carl growls out, and it is with particular relish that I watch Novotny quail under that not-oft seen Horvath look of death. “As well as being intoxicated, aggressive, rude, arrogant and in need of your gaydar being fixed; you have another blot on your copybook. So what’s the fine?” He asks me and I flick through.


“With his other misdemeanour, we’re looking at…”


“You’ve not paid the fine on that yet?!” Carl demands.


“I was given time to pay.” He mutters.


“Time has run out. Pay or stay!” He barks out then turns on his heel and stalks back to the front desk.


CARL


I drum my fingers on the steering wheel as I wait for him to come out. The door opens and I beep the horn and he shuffles to the car. I start the engine and pull out.


“Do you think we can stop off at a store? I really need some water and Advil.” He says quietly.


“We’re here.” I point out brusquely as I pull up to the Sky on the Hill Hotel.


“I’ll be about 20 minutes....”


“You’ll be ten unless you want to start walking.” I retort. “Not many cabs come up here from what I recall.” I feel him stiffen and then nod. And miracle of miracles, he’s exactly 10 minutes. He comes out and puts down his cases then waits. I grimace and beep the horn and once again, he stiffens...I am enjoying this...but then I remember something Debs said and look at the amount of stuff he has...or doesn’t have...something is very off here! He gets in after packing the trunk of the car and folds his arms. We don’t say another word to each other until we get to the Liberty Avenue Hotel.


“Here you are.” I tell him as I pull up and pop the trunk.


“Why am I staying here? What’s wrong with Uncle Vic’s house?” He demands and I blench, wishing he had spent more of those ten minutes brushing his teeth. Seems he only sluiced!


“Not his house anymore, remember? Now hurry up! This mother stealing bastard douche or muff diving motherfucker of a stepdad has things to do!” He glares at me before he gets out and as usual, does his pissed door slam and stalks to collect his things. I have had enough of this and get out of the car. “Michael! Don’t you ever treat my things with such disrespect! Amongst my things is your mother! She is mine, my wife and my most cherished thing after my mother! If I ever hear you speak to her the way you used to again, I will teach you a lesson you will never forget! Do we understand each other?!” He looks so stunned that he just nods. I haul his stuff out and drop them on the ground, narrowly missing his foot and then get back in the car, feeling lighter than I have in years. As I drive down the street it hits me, his toys... where are they?


SOUP AND DROP - 40 MINUTES LATER


I scan the room and there he is, being his industrious little self. I make my way over. “Hi, Albert!” I call out as he directs another waif and his pooch to the showers.


“Hey, Carl! What are you doing here?”


“Have a quick ex-roomie question for you.” I say and he nods.


“Am due a break in 25 minutes, can you wait?” He asks, handing out a towel.


“I can, but happy to help out. I have time.” He beams at me and nods. “Show me what I need to do.” Soon we are working in companionable silence and I shake my head at the kindness of strangers. “So did you allow him to have his toys in the apartment?”


He visibly shudders before answering. “No. I can’t abide clutter. The posters were bad enough.”


“So where did he keep them?”


“As far as I know, he kept his most precious, seriously they are bits of plastic not a living thing, with him but when he moved into my place, I made him put them in the storage unit. But I know now he would’ve slowly moved them in…Carl, you okay?”


I’m steaming mad! “Don’t suppose you know where this storage unit is?”


“Highpoint and Sound, Downtown. I have to admit I was surprised when I dropped him off there. It’s very high end and the minimum storage fee is $200…”


“A month?”


“A week.”


I gape at him. “How the fuck was he affording that?”


“Swaupctions” He rolls his eyes and Heathan snickers.


“What? What are they?” I look between the two boys, who slowly begin to realise that something is wrong.


“They’re where he and his collectibles community meet online to swap or have auctions. He raised a pretty penny last time. He was bragging on how he got $4000 the last time, but of course, he used it to buy more...Carl, are you alright?” Heathan asks.


“Can I have a glass of water please? Need to cool down the fire that is raging in my belly!”


“Shall I take him to the office?” Albert asks nervously and Heathan nods.


OFFICE


ALBERT


I wait for him to finish off the second glass of water and start to realise why he is upset. He had an available source of funds, but would rather scrounge off others. I don’t count myself amongst the others because I don’t need the money, but his Uncle Vic could’ve and should have benefited. I go and find Odette to ask for a favour. She nods when I explain and follows me back to the office and unlocks it.


“Thanks, Odette. I think it’s time he learned what it is to have money and actually use it for its proper purpose.” I grimace as I start to email my dad.


“Albert?” Carl comes up behind me. “What are you doing?”


“Teaching my ex-roomie the meaning of two of the Ten Commandments ...thou shalt not covet and thou shalt not steal…”


“But he didn’t steal.” He points out.


“But he didn’t give when he could either. Therefore, in my opinion, he stole from Uncle Vic and Debs. He’s had that unit since before you guys moved.” I advise and my phone rings. “Hi Griffin....”


Forty minutes later, I am beaming and feeling no pain while Carl is chuckling. “So what is it that you have done exactly?”


“You see this thing here?” I point at the screen at a Captain Astro figurine and he nods. “He would give his right arm for it. So I bought it, well them. There are 6 available within the tristate area. He’ll get an alert when one is in Pittsburgh and come a calling...he explained the alerts in bore-inducing detail, every time he looked at it on screen. I used to recall it whenever I had insomnia...worked like a charm.” I blush at the hug that I am suddenly on the receiving end of.


“When will you know if he’s…” Carl is interrupted by the ping of my email and surprise not surprised. It is Griffin, saying he’s had an email from Michael. “...you are kidding me?!” He gasps.


“Like I said...his right arm!”


NORMAN’S HOUSE - EVENING


LOUNGE


DEBS


I hear the front door and the excitable chatter of my grandchildren. “Grandma, where are you?” Gus calls out. “I have someone you need to meet!”


Now this is what I have been looking forward to all the time since I have been here...meeting Nikita. Don’t get me wrong, I love dogs. But cats, now they are my thing. “Lounge!” I call out and am still deciding between the blankets and stuff we got the furballs. Gilda and I went shopping after lunch, took a look around my old haunts, then found this darling pet store and made his day!


“Grandma, she is...oh my goodness, where did you get that?! Moon is going to love that!” He cries out as he picks up a pull toy. “Actually no, I think this is a Daisy thing. Effy, come quick! We need to sort some stuff and call the dads and uncles!”


“Uh Gus, Nikita…” I prompt as I look around and find no cat crate.


“Eating and she lead walks.” He says as this explains her absence perfectly!


“Which means?” I prompt when he doesn’t pick up on the confused silence.


“She doesn’t use the crate. When we go anywhere, she walks on the lead. She also comes to the park with us with her in the middle for protection!” Effy laughs as she dials a number and waits for it to connect. “It’s quite funny when we get to the park. All the other dogs literally back up when our pack arrives and we have our own bench...just under the oak. Not to hot and not too cold and…”


“Holy fuck, what is that?!” Gus cries out and is looking at Effy’s arm. “What happened?!” She pulls her sleeve down quickly. “No, show me! What is that?!”


“A bruise.” She says quietly. “Mom did it when she grabbed me. But dad had her arrested and…”


“EFFY!” The sound of an outraged Ben stuns us into silence before she puts him on speaker.


“She just grabbed me and squeezed hard and...”


“Where. Are. You?” He demands.


“At home with grandma.”


“Do not move. I’ll get the others!” He cuts the call and she sighs then looks at me.


“What’s in the freezer that I can knock up for about how many people?” I shake my head. We told Norman to tell her Uncles but he didn’t want to, saying that the arrest was enough.


“We need diner food. I’ll call Molly.” Gus tells me.


An hour later, her arm has been inspected by each Uncle, very carefully. Emmy has been stopped from applying some arnica and Drew is cracking his knuckles. Brian is on the phone to his lawyer, trying to hit her with everything he’s got. Norman is looking suitably chastened and Carl is on his phone to the precinct. The front door heralds the arrival of food and Justin, Molly, Vic and Kiki come in with it. And another guy.


“Graham.” Effy whispers across to me. She had been fine about everything that happened yesterday. But on seeing Gus’s reaction and the reaction of her Uncle Brian, the realisation dawned that her Mother had used force on her has made its presence felt. Right now, she’s in the middle of a Ben and Brandon sandwich with Star and Moon on her lap and Nikita behind her head.


Carl finishes his call and looks relieved. “Well?” Gilda demands, slapping away Ted’s hand from the wing. “Maybe takeout, but we still use plates!” She rebukes him.


“I’ll go and get them.” Blake scurries to the kitchen.


“We need to take Effy down tomorrow...no tomorrow, guys...and get the bruise photographed. She’s had a long and trying day. It is not going to fade and the charges against Lindsay have been upgraded to battery. Because of that, a 20 mile restraining order is automatic in the case of a minor. So she will have to move from her apartment. A child abuse unit its way around to deliver that news. We, as a family, now that it is in effect, can’t go anywhere near her. Yes, Brian and Ben, I am looking specifically at you two. Any contact whatsoever jeopardizes the case against her. She fucked herself over before, so let her do it again!”


We fall silent and absorb what he has just said. “Will she go to jail?” Norman asks quietly.


“Yes. Yes, she will.” He replies. “With the assault on you, even though you didn’t report it, it shows that she’s willing to hit, and now this. So they will make an example of her.”


“Christ, is there any more bad news today?!” Brian explodes.


“Well yeah, there’s what Michael’s been hiding…” Carl sighs and goes on to tell us what happened at Soup and Drop.


“He could’ve helped me instead of me having to take all those double shifts and…” I growl.


“Which is why we need the drive for him...to drive him the fuck out of the city!” Gilda snarls.


“The country. He needs to be gone from the country.” Leda states firmly and we all turn to her. “Well, we’re not just going to give him the money to go away. He will just come back and keep coming back, expecting us to pay him again just to be rid of him. You said stipulations Gilda, so how about he has to do 2 years of charity work and then he can come back to Liberty Avenue?”


“The whole point is him not coming back, Aunt Leda.” Gus points out, reaching for a wing but retreating when Gilda reaches for her cane with a devilish smirk before taking it for herself.


“Oh, you are in so much good trouble when we get home. Where you thinking?”


“Cape…”


“How is sending him to Cape Cod teaching him a lesson?” Brandon grumbles.


“Cape of Good Hope, is where I have my charitable HQ. My baby is not the only philanthropic one and maybe just maybe, he might learn some humility.”


“Cape of where?” Norman asks, reaching for his pad.


“Good Hope...it’s in Africa.” Annalise snags the last wing off the plate before Gilda’s cane can connect. “Have my own Grandma G at home. I learned to be quick. Here Gus.” She pokes her tongue out at Gilda, who shakes her head chuckling.


“He will never agree to go to Africa!” Vic asserts.


“He will if he doesn’t know. He’s an end gamer with a small town mentality, which is why he will never get what he wants.” Annalise continues and we all, except Brian and Ben, look blankly at her. “If one of the stipulations is that he has to go to a Cape of the Avenue’s choosing, what’s the betting that he will think like Brandon that he’s going to think Cod? And then of course, there’s the NDA that he has to sign, which will have the forfeiture clause in there....”


“So effectively, we are getting rid of two bad apples in one shot? One legally and one deviously, and not a drop of blood spilt...pity!” Drew growls.


“So we have a plan in place. Does anyone have any good news?” Vic sighs. “I still need to find somewhere to live…”


“Vic, we’re not tossing you out. You take your time.” Annalise reassures him.


“Why not have my loft?” Brian asks and everyone turns to him.


“Your loft? Where are you living?” Emmy is bouncing.


“With Justin and…”


“I’m moving in with Eric…” Molly interjects and gets a beaming smile from Justin.


“So the loft is free. And I mean free, Vic.” Brian states firmly and he nods. “Change it however you want. If I need to be that end of town for an early meeting, I can bunk in with Gus for the night, right Sonny Boy?”


“Exactly.” Gus grins.


“Wow, just wow.” Effy breathes. “Oh wait, how did the date go? I’m figuring by him being here that it went more than well. Tell me you at least kissed!”


“No, we haven’t kissed...it’s even better than that...I beat him at chess!” Graham smiles in the face of Vic’s sore loser expression. “Like I said, I’ve been taking lessons!”


“You’ve been losing on purpose?!” Effy exclaims.


“I’m an end gamer too, but kept my eyes on the much bigger prize. And because of your help, Vic, if you could stand here please?” Graham stands and points to a spot on the floor. “I do believe we should kiss before we send the Liberty Avenue Princess to bed, don’t you?”


“Oh absolutely.” He grins and my heart soars as their lips lock.


.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks