- Text Size +

CHAPTER 6 - AND HE GREETS


BRIAN


“Oh my goodness, what a beauty!” Justin gasps as he sees Moonshine, dozing on the sofa and goes to sit next to him. “What’s his name?”


“Moonshine.” Effy replies. “I’m sharing him with Uncle Brian. And this is Uncle Brian. Uncle Brian, come and say hello. You need to meet one of Gus’s bosses.”


Slight problem!


“Who is that?” Bucky comes to my rescue.


“Oh sorry, this is Hero. Hero come…”


Not helping!


Hero is immediately by his side. And is locked on.


“What is he?” I ask.


“A Husky.” He replies, frowning.


“No, what is he to you?”


He stares at me for a few seconds before sighing. “A therapy dog. How did you know?”


“Did an advertising campaign for USA Therapy Dogs and…” I tell him sheepishly.


“Really, dad! You never said.” Gus looks surprised.


“Why tarnish my asshole reputation.” I reply.


“Stop that.” Emmy chides me and I put my hand up.


“Why would anyone think you’re an asshole?” Justin asks, looking puzzled.


“Oh sweetie, don’t listen to him. He is being disingenuous.” Emmy grumbles. “He’s an absolute darling on the Avenue and he knows that, even if he doesn’t like it.”


“Moving on.” I tell him firmly.


“Fine. So what do we do about Saturday? He’s only just got Moonshine and wants to come support Gus on his first day.”


“He can sit with Hero. Can’t he, boy?” He looks at Hero and pats the seat next to a still asleep, Moonshine. Hero hops up and then chuffs at Moonshine, who stretches, yawns and opens his eyes. What happens next is incredible! He sits up very quickly, but has his head bowed. Hero then sniffs him before slumping on his side and issuing a low growl. I am about to get up when Ben shakes his head. Then Moonshine crawls on his belly to Hero’s side before burrowing into his stomach with his nose in his chest, and with his tail wagging goes back to sleep.


“Is that normal?” I ask Justin.


“I have no idea. I’ve never seen him interact with another dog before, but I’d say they are buddies now.” He giggles and once again, I have no problem standing up. But getting up from the table...yeah a problem!


“So want to play a hand?” I ask.


“What are you playing?” He asks and sits next to me when Bucky, my best friend, makes room.


“Poker.”


“I love poker! Who’s beating the house? Have you finished this hand?” We nod and he takes the cards and starts to shuffle them.


“That would be me.” I reply.


“Not for long.” Is his swift response.


Two hours later, I am very smug because he was wrong!


“They’re on their way back.” Gus tells me and looks across at Justin, who gave up half an hour ago and is curled up on the sofa. “You know the Old Church House you wanted?”


“Yep.” I reply, grabbing Moonshine’s leash.


“That’s where he lives. So can you drop them off on your way?”


“Fine. Bucky, wake them up. I need the bathroom and to say goodnight to Effy.”


I head upstairs and knock gently on her door. I get a sleepy come in. When I get inside, I see her in bed, starting to put the pile of books on her bedside table. “Come on princess, time to sleep.” She nods and slides down under the blankets. “Good night, see you tomorrow.”


“Night, Uncle Brian. Love you.” She tilts her cheek up for a kiss.


“Love you too.” I kiss her softly and head to the door and then wait as she reaches her for teddy bear and tucks him under her chin.


When I get downstairs, a still very sleepy, Justin is barely standing up. I nod at Bucky and he picks him up and carries him, unprotestingly, to the car. “See you boys tomorrow. Oh and try and get Ted and Blake there too.”


“Will do sweetie, see you!” Emmy smiles as we leave. We always leave Emmy there because he and Norm have a brandy and a chat...and by chat I mean, he helps him hone his lisp!


VIC AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - SATURDAY MORNING


KITCHEN


MICHAEL


I look across at Uncle Vic and Kiki and can’t understand why she is here.


“So how was New York?” She asks him as she helps him with coffee and breakfast.


“Great! The food and wine is sorted and the soft opening for the dining room is tonight, but the diner is later today. I can’t wait for tonight though; I have my best suit ready.”


“You’re going to the opening?” I ask in surprise. “Why?”


“Because I work there.” Uncle Vic replies.


“Work there? What job are you going to do?” I laugh. “Be the head busboy?”


“No, the sommelier, like I was in New York.”


“And speaking of the diner, oh you should’ve seen the dreck that turned up for interviews this week.” Kiki snickers.


Dreck? What does that mean?” I try to keep the smirk off my face.


“Garbage, crap, stuff you wouldn’t step in. Oh, they were awful. Let me set the scene…


Start of flashback

KIKI


“Sorry repeat that?” Miley asks, incredulous.


“You heard me correctly. This is what I had to contend with today; a chef told me that he only cooks his food to the Spice Girls Wannabe on repeat. A bohemian female chef, who says she will serve the entire menu on a bed of grass and claims to be a fruitarian, only eating fruit that has fallen to the ground. Otherwise picking fruit is murder! And she considers the modern Farmers Market to be the site of a vegetable massacre. Then there was the hairy bear chef, who showed up drunk, tried to make a hamburger and almost sets the kitchen on fire. Then I had the couple, who got into a fight and started throwing plates at each other before chasing each other around with meat cleavers”. I take a breath and roll my eyes.


“But oh, that wasn’t the piece de resistance. The wait staff...oh my days! I was waiting for one to come back from the bathroom and when I went to check if he was okay. He was fucking another applicant. Another refused to speak any language, except for Klingon and accused me of being a Romulan, violating the edicts of Starfleet Federation Command because he wouldn’t be allowed to wear his uniform from the Starship Enterprise. Then there was the older female applicant with a walker, who refuses to come to work without her cats, so Hero would have to go. Nor would she leave without her late husband's ashes, which she carries around in her handbag. Naturally, she decreed that he should be given a place of pride in the window as he likes to catch the sun. But it was the false teeth, which she took out mid interview and plopped in my glass that did me in. I gently, but firmly guided her out when she started to recommend lace doilies on all the tables along with vases of fake flowers to make it feel like home. I politely informed her we were not using the nursing home motif in the diner. When she asked why not, it took everything within me not to plant my size 13 pump up her snotty old ass!”

End of flashback


Uncle Vic has tears, running down his face.


“So what are you going to do now?” I ask. “It seems you don’t have any staff.”


“What makes you think we don’t have staff? We have staff. Thank god for Miley!” Kiki smiles.


“Miley? What does Miley have to do with it?”


“Well, he’s going to be our Majordomo of the Wait Staff and he’s got some friends, who he knows that are perfect. They all know what the hell they are doing and seem more than capable. So we’re all set! Now I have to go. One needs to sort oneself out in preparedness for…”


“Wait a minute! Miley is going to be your head busboy?! What about LAFF?!” I demand.


“He quit and he’s not going to be the head busboy, he’s going to be the Majordomo of the Wait Staff...something much higher than busboy! You wanted to be the sole assistant manager again and now you are. Congratulations. Though it’s a shame it’s not at the Big Q, but you can’t have everything, can you? She retorts. “Vic, see you later. I can’t wait!”


VIC


After I see her to the door, I come back to the kitchen and wait for him to say something. It doesn’t take long!


“Uncle Vic, can’t you get me a job there?” Michael whines.


“Why?”


“Because it would get me out of LAFF and I am your nephew and…”


“No. This place is not for you. Now if you want to come to lunch and support Gus then fine, but working there you will not be.” I retort, then drain my cup and leave him standing alone, with an annoyed look on his face. I know he is pissed that I won’t help him. And I really don't give a shit.


MICHAEL


I don't understand why Uncle Vic won't help me. I am his only nephew; his first loyalty should be to me! I let him live in my Ma's house, after all. Well, I have another plan in place...the Avenue, unlike him, is loyal and I know they will come to me!


LIBERTY FINE DINING - LUNCHTIME


JUSTIN


“Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! Bag…!” I demand when I see the amount of people waiting outside. I cover my nose and mouth and take some soothing breaths and slowly, start to calm down.


“Can we open the doors now?!” Emmy demands and I nod.


“Yeah. Hero, come.” I order and get behind the counter. As the door opens, the first person comes in. “Good afternoon, welcome to Liberty Fine Dining. I’m Justin and this is Molly, we’re the owners. This is Miley, he will take you through to the diner.”  


I look across at Molly and she mouths breathe between words. And that makes me laugh and then relax a bit more. Soon, there is happy chattering and menu discussing in the diner and Gus is looking nervously for his parents to arrive.


LINDSAY


“I can’t wait to see Gus’s face. Now nobody is to make a big thing about it or even hint that we know...Brian?! What are you doing here?”


“Gus asked me to come. Is that a problem?”


“No, of course not, but who is that? I don’t think he will be allowed in there.”


“Moonshine, and he will be allowed in.” He enters the diner and we follow. “Hey Justin, how you doing?”


“Okay.” The blonde man answers. “Hang on. Hero, take.”


I watch incredulously as another dog comes out. Moonshine wags his tail and follows the other dog out of the dining room.


“I don’t think it is appropriate for an animal to be in an eating establishment.” I point out.


“They are no longer in the eating establishment.” Norman retorts. “Now come on, let’s get seated.”


I look round the place and feel chagrined. This is the food equivalent of my boutique... well it would be if Norman would give me the money to redecorate it! Even the diner is elegant and refined.


“Hi, Gus!” I trill as I pass him. He doesn’t look up and continues to discuss the menu options with a customer. “I said hello, Gus!” I repeat a little louder.


“How is this not pointing out that we know him?” Norman asks. But before I can answer, he moves me to the booth. “Sit down and stop whatever shit you are trying to stir!” He snaps.


“I’m not trying to…”


“Good afternoon, my name is Hunter. I will be your server and…”


“Thank you Hunter, but we already have a server, so…”


“But this is my section.” He says and looks across at someone, who comes over to us.


“Is there a problem, Hunter?”


“Um, Miley, this is my section but this lady says they already have a server…”


“Oh, I see. Can you get them some water and I shall sort this out?” He reassures Hunter before turning back to me. “Ma’am, who do you think your server is?”


“That young man over there. His name is Gus.” I tell him. “He’s my son.”


“Oh, I see. I’m Miley, the Majordomo of the wait staff. Ma’am, the thing is, this is Hunter’s section so he will be serving you today. But if you wish to be served by Gus, then I’m afraid, you will have to vacate this booth. But as of now, his section is full, so you could be in for a long wait.”


Everyone turns to look at me. “Hunter will be fine. Thank you, Miley.” I answer through gritted teeth.


“And thank you ma’am, for your understanding.” He replies before signalling Hunter to come back with the water. “I shall leave you in his more than capable hands.”


“May I take your order?” Hunter asks.


“Can I have duck confit Reuben with shoestring fries?” Edna-Fanny asks.


“Of course you can, princess.” Hunter smiles at her and I baulk at his familiarity.


“Excuse me, but why are you calling my daughter, princess? Have you two met?”


“No ma’am, we haven’t but that’s what’s on her pin.” He replies and points at Edna-Fanny’s lapel.


“Which Brian gave to her.” Norman clips out.


“Oh, I didn’t know that.”


“Can he take the rest of our order now?” Ben asks.


“Yes, of course.” I reply.


“Not yet. You need to apologise, Lindsay.” Norman orders.


I feel my face heat in embarrassment, but mutter my apologies.


“Tha…”


“No. Sorry, Hunter.” Ben interrupts. “Don’t say it like you have a dick in your mouth. Say it like you mean it...you know enunciate, Lindsay.”


“I apologise Hunter.”


“Thank you, ma’am. So the rest of the orders?”


“Can I have the Buffalo Bleu Cheese hotdog with the vinegar chips and fried pickles, please?” Norman asks.


“Do you have a chef salad?” I ask and he signals for Miley.


“Hunter, why don’t you take their beverage order and I shall help Ma'am decipher the menu.” Miley smiles and I look at him in surprise. “This menu is called Trashy but Classy. So the food here is not all that healthy, but it tastes damn good. So the salmon, for example, will come grilled, but it will also have garlic butter cream sauce with onion rings and deep fried garlic chips, negating the healthiness of grilling it.”


“So what kind of establishment is this where you can’t have a simple salad?” I demand. These people clearly don’t know anything about haute cuisine!


“Lindsay, stop it now!” Norman growls low in my ear. “I mean it.” He smiles at Miley. “She will have the grilled Caesar salad and the grilled cheese sandwich. Ben, what is it you want?”


“Definitely the duck confit Reuben. I didn’t get much of the last one I tried!” He laughs.


“Brian, what do you want?” Norman asks.


“Beam smoked turkey wings with the ginger apple chutney, definitely and can we split some fries, Bucky?”


“Yep.” Ben smiles at him.


“Thank you.” Hunter replies and goes to place our order and Miley moves to Gus’s section.


“Norman!” I whisper harshly. “I did not appreciate the way you spoke to me just then…”


“If you didn’t behave like that then I wouldn’t have to speak to you like that, now would I?” He whispers back just as harshly.


I turn my back on him. “So Edna-Fanny, when did Brian give you that?” I point to the pin.


“When I got 92% on my paper.” She blushes.


“Oh and what paper is that?” I ask and then look up from inspecting my nails as the table has gone quiet. “What?”


“Her history paper, which she has been studying all week for.” Norman retorts.


I am stopped from replying when Gus stops by the booth. “Sorry, I can’t stay long. You guys, okay? What do you think of it?” He rushes out.


“Yes. It’s not quite my normal fare, but we will see what it tastes like...oh, it seems to be coming now. That was quick, do they micro…”


“Mom, everything is made from scratch; there isn’t a microwave here. So that is not your food.”


After half an hour, our food comes to the table and I gawp at the Reuben sandwich that Edna-Fanny has ordered. “No Edna, you can’t have that! Think of how...” Much to my surprise Edna-Fanny gets up and rushes away from the table. “What is wrong with her?” I ask.


“Oh perhaps it was because of her mother was about to tell her that eating it was going to make her fat. Maybe that’s what she found upsetting!” Brian snarks and gets up.


BRIAN


I try to catch up with Effy, but she moves real quickly and is in the bathroom before I can get to her. “Shit!” I mutter and look round for someone suitable.


“You okay?” Justin asks.


“I am, but Effy’s not. Can you get your sister for me? Her mom has been charming and upset her and well, me being…”


“Say no more. One sec. Go back to your table. Molly can handle this.” He gives me a sweet smile and goes to find his sister.


I start to head back, but then I spot Michael across the street just glowering at the building. What the fuck is he doing? “He’s been there since we opened.” Emmy tells me. “Look, I know this is an imposition but what are you…”


“Bucky and I will be here, no problem. What time can you get us a table in this fine establishment?”


“Seven thirty.” He winces. “But Ted and Blake are coming with Amy too.”


“Just don’t serve me carbs and we’ll be there!” I grin at him and sigh in relief when Effy comes out of the bathroom, holding Molly’s hand. “Do you think Effy and Ben can eat away from the table? I know that with every bite she takes, her mother is going to…”


“Sweetie, not a problem.” Emmy grins and heads to Miley. Within minutes, Ben is with Effy and they disappear upstairs.


“Right, let me explain to that uppity little madam that you do not upset my princess!” I growl and head back to the booth. As I sit down, Lindsay turns to look at me. “Not one word...you will be quiet and you will listen! Effy is in her formative years. She is very vulnerable and absorbs everything and I mean, everything, like a sponge. You will not do this shit to her again. If she wants to eat 14 donuts in a sitting, she will do it. You have already crippled her with that godawful fucking name; giving her a fat complex is not helpful! Now let’s eat!”


“I was not giving her a complex. It was constructive criticism.”


“If you’re going to argue semantics, you are being a bitch!” I snap back.


“Here-here.” Norman intones.


“What are you here-here-ing about?” She snaps at him.


“Everything he just said. You always pick at what she does. Peck-peck-peck like some deranged chicken. Effy is not going to be tormented by you, like your mother supposedly did to you. Know this, Lindsay, that she, unlike you, doesn’t deserve it! She’s a grade A student and an absolute sweetheart, who I am very proud to call my daughter.”


“Wait, so you don’t like her name?”


“That’s what you fucking heard?!” Norm growls. “But since you ask, no I don’t like her name. It is too old fashioned for a child of this era.”


“But you never said anything at…”


“Because you had already registered her birth so it was too late. But know this, if she wants to change her name to Effy before she’s 18, then I will let her...and so will you!”


“But…”


“We are going to eat, then we are going to go home. Then you and I going to have a long talk...and when I say talk, I mean I talk, you listen Lindth!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks