- Text Size +

CHAPTER 34 - GETTING TO KNOW YOU...AND KNOWING YOU TOO WELL


LINDSAY


I just stare at the phone in my hand and sit down heavily. An audit? This can’t be happening! I take a couple of steadying breaths and then dial Norman. He doesn’t pick up.


THE OLD CHURCH HOUSE


THE NOOK


JUSTIN


I slowly open my eyes and find blackness. So I lift the eye mask and find myself staring at the concerned faces of Brian, Ben, Vic, Molly and Hero. “If I wasn’t so fucking scared, I would kill you!” Brian growls quietly in my ear. I nod slightly.


“I got overtired, I suppose.” I mutter in the face of Molly’s furious expression.


“I asked you four times! Do you have a fucking headache and you said no! You don’t dismiss that shit, Justin! You just don’t!”


“So Molly, want to tell us what is going on with the headaches?” Brian demands, not looking at me.


“They are nothing to worry about, but they can be cripplingly painful. Think migraine but worse, and the more he fights it off without medication, the…”


“You have medication?!” Brian explodes and I wince. Ben puts his hand on his arm and he takes a couple of breaths. “You were saying, Molly?”


“The worse it gets, until he collapses.” She finishes. “But...the problem with the medication is that it makes him sleepy, which is why he doesn’t take it. But a massage works...a hot bath and a massage…I know you were scared and you are angry now Brian, but they don’t happen that often.”


He doesn’t say a word as he walks out. I go to sit up, but Ben shakes his head and follows him out. “Well it was good while it lasted.” I mutter and then I hear the front door open and then close...hard. “Is he fucking kidding me with this?!” I snap. I sit up and then slowly, swing my legs to the floor.


“Where the fuck do you think you are going?” Brian demands, coming in with another comforter...a thicker one...and a pillow. “Lie back down. Molly, take this one back and Vic can you make up some hot chocolate as per these instructions?”


“Yes, sir!” Vic laughs and drags an equally stunned as me Molly out.


“I thought…” I begin as he tucks the comforter round me and the pillow behind my head.


“Ben’s gone to get Moon, some overnight things for me and some papers. He’ll take Gus and Nikita to Norm’s.” We don’t say anything for a few minutes so I turn on my side to look at him properly and go to say something, but he shakes his head. “I was so scared. All I kept thinking was please, don’t let him…”


“Don’t say it. I’m sorry, I should’ve told you about them…”


“Yeah, you should’ve.” He grumbles and runs his fingers gently through my hair. I kiss the inside of his wrist and that makes him smile a little. “Want to stay in here tonight or go to the bedroom? After your bath.”


“Here please. I think we might need to get a sofa bed in here.”


“I did say that but somebody said and I quote: there’s no need, it’s not as if I am going to be sleeping in here every night. And according to sources…”


“Molly has a big mouth.” I grouse.


“So sofa bed?”


“Fine, a sofa bed.” I smile.


“Hot chocolate is made!” Vic calls through the door.


“Sit up and drink this. Vic keep an eye; I’m going to set the bath.” He orders and after kissing me sweetly, he sweeps out.


I sip the hot chocolate and sigh. “Don’t keep secrets from him. He hates that.” Vic tells me softly.


“It wasn’t a secret. He just didn’t need to worry about it.”


“You didn’t tell him and he found out the hard way… so to him, it’s a secret.” I nod in reluctant agreement. “Good. Now apparently, this is supposed to be in there too…” He pulls out a Curly Wurly and I grin. “...but you’re not getting it today. That’s way too much sugar. I’m going to see how Brian is doing.” He opens the bar and promptly takes a huge bite before walking out.


“If I wasn’t…!” I call out.


“But you are!” He calls back, laughing.


FUKOWSKI GARAGE - TUESDAY LUNCHTIME


OFFICE


NORMAN


“I’m not sure what you expect me to do about this, Lindsay.”


We have an audit. I would expect a little more panic. So, what I…”


“We do not have an audit; you have an audit. While we own your store jointly, you have made it abundantly clear that I am to have nothing to do with it and I have abided by that. So it’s down to you to provide the paperwork they are requiring.”


“Norman, don’t be so recalcitrant! You have to help me and…”


“No! Now go away and prepare for your audit. While my name is on the papers, you have clearly forgotten about the other paper, which you insisted on. The one that says that the ownership of Chique Boutique is split 85/15, in your favour. But its fine, isn’t it? It’s not as if you have anything to worry about, right?”


She glares at me before snatching up her things and flouncing out.


“Silly old bat!” I snicker to myself as she storms across the parking lot and then comes to an astonished halt before whirling around and heading back to the office. “And here comes the second round...”


“Where are all the cars?” She demands as she storms in.


“In the garage.” I reply.


“Not those cars! The Mercedes, the Rolls Royce... those cars!”


“Why would you need to know their location?”


“Because Norm, I own half of everything and I want to use the Mercedes today.”


“No. The bus or whatever form of transport was good enough for you to get here, so, it’s good enough to take you back again!” I start to tidy my papers as I am meeting the board today. “And you don’t.”


“Don’t? Wait, where the fuck do you think you are going?! We are in the middle of a discussion!”


“No, you are shrieking like a wraith and I am doing my very best to not toss you out on that cheating ass of yours. You do remember you cheated on me, or do misdeeds only count when they are done to you?”


“Norman, it happened the once, when I was feeling…”


“Horny and more than once. That’s the problem with you, Lindsay. You act first and then think. Catherine and Henry came to see me.” Her face plummets to the ground. “Yes, they apologised for their part in the break-up of our marriage; shame you haven’t, Madam Secretary.


Her face contorts in anger. “You fat fuck!” She hisses. “Try to find anybody else that would put up with your corp…”


“Butterball.” I interrupt.


“Pardon?”


“I am not fat or corpulent, I am a butterball and as for anybody else that would put up with me...well that’s none of your concern now, is it? Now fuck off, you galloping, glorying, hounding harlot and prepare for your audit!”


LFD


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


He can glare as much as he wants, I am not telling him until he eats it.


“Fine!” He grouses and takes a bite and chews and there it is. The savouring blink. “Now just tell me!”


“Someone told me that when you first tasted the DCR you thought it was goose. Well, that’s goose.”


“You’re going to put this on the menu?” He starts to walk towards me. “Let me rephrase that question, you aren’t going to put this on the menu, are you?”


“Brian, you can’t have the beef cheeks and the goose confit leg. I have to make money. Oh you need to read this, what do you think?”


“Tonight, We Duck? Before I look at this, you can do it at Christmas, but the rest of the time the goose is mine and the cheeks, both the beef and yours, are just for me.”


“Fine. So what do you think?” I am almost bouncing with excitement, but he is very quiet as he reads.


“Perfect. You and Emmy come up with this?” I nod. “Great, can I take this? You have given me an idea for a client...you clever goose!”


“Okay, now shoo...I have to make the slop…” His kiss silences me and when we break apart, he looks very smug indeed. “What?”


“Nothing, nothing at all. Gonna leave you to it.” He saunters out and it’s only 10 minutes later that I realise that at some point, Vic must have snuck in and gave him the rest of the confit. I never even got to taste it!


ALBERT AND MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - EARLY EVENING


MICHAEL’S BEDROOM


MICHAEL


I have thoroughly enjoyed not been being at their beck and call and no more dealing with fucking dogs! I look around my room and as much as I love being here, no dogs a big plus, the lack of decor is depressing. I pray to Captain Astro and head to the lounge. Mercifully, he has not taken his friends for a walk, but is still naked!


“Albert, I was wondering if I could put up some of my...our...superhero posters?”


“Huh? Oh yeah, no problem. But in your room, not in here. I like to see my friends in all their glory.”


“Great. Are you going out today?”


“No.”


“No, what?” I say, testily.


“No, I am not going out.” He frowns up at me. “Are you? Or do you have people coming round? I hope not because you should’ve cleared that with me first.”


What the hell is this lack of salutation and bossiness about? I am the Captain of this ship!


“Albert, what is wrong? You haven’t greeted me properly and…”


“Oh, that doesn’t happen here. If you want to be Captain now, then you need to do that in your own place and…”


“I thought this was our place.”


“Goodness me, no. While I said my casa is your casa, it doesn’t mean you dictate how I speak in it. I will show deference outside of my home, but not within it.”


I am so stunned that all I do is turn around and walk back into my room!


HEATHAN AND ERIC’S APARTMENT - WEDNESDAY NIGHT


LOUNGE


STANLEY


I move the wine bottle back to where I had it and he glowers. “Building up naughty credit.” I tease him and he grins, then looks nervous as the door knocks. “Call and check first.” I whisper. “Eric would use his key.”


“I don’t have Justin’s number.” He whispers back.


“Call Eric and check where they are.”


The door knocking gets louder and I just know who that is. “Fucking Albert!” Heathan bitches. “Well he can stay out there until they come then.”


“Told you we should’ve had it at mine.”


“Heathan! Stanley! I know you are in there! Just open up!” The imperious tones of Michael boom through the door. “I need to talk to you about Albert! I think there is something wrong with him!”


“He’s remained friends with you; of course, there’s something wrong with him!” I laugh and then sigh. “Shall we just let him in? He’s not going to…”


“No.” He says with unfamiliar finality. “No, Mr Wolf, you cannot come in not by the hairs on our chinny-chin-chin! You can huff and you can puff, but you won’t blow the door down!” He yells.


“What the fuck are you talking about? Just let me in and I won’t be…”


“Won’t be what?” I call out.


Silence.


“Michael?” I start to approach the door, but Heath grabs my arm and shakes his head. Five tense minute later, there is the rattle of a key in the door with Eric and Molly coming in alongside Justin.


“Brian, Ben and Michael are having a chat.” Molly giggles as she puts the wine on the table.


“A chat…” I begin.


“Yeah. Seems that Ben really doesn’t like Michael so he clapped his hand over his mouth and has carried him outside. He gave us a lift here.” Eric explains.


“Wonder what they are talking about…”


MICHAEL


I am trying to squirm off this fucker’s shoulder, but he’s got me in a vice like grip. Bet he’s on roids... nobody is that strong without them! He carries me to the back of the building and dumps me on my ass on the cold and slimy ground.


“I dare you to kick me like you did Justin. I would love to kick you back.” He towers over me.


“Bucky!” Kocky yells, coming round the corner. “What the hell are you...”


“Brian! Help me! He’s obviously got roid rage!” I scream and shuffle backwards for effect and smile as Brian runs up.


“You could’ve waited!” He grumbles. “So Michael, what are you doing here where nobody wants you?”


“I am wanted!” I retort.


“Michael, you wouldn’t be wanted by a monk on day release. Go home!” Ben orders, snickering.


“What’s going on down there?!” Another voice calls.


“HELP!” I scream and I hear footsteps running towards me.


“This is the police! Miles, down here! What’s going on?!”


“That man…” I point at Ben. “Tried to attack me and he…”


“Oh for fuck sake!” A somewhat familiar voice barks out. “Get up, Novotny!”


“How do you know my name?” I frown.


“I live next door to Stanley, remember?” The cop from next door comes into view and I feel sick to my stomach. “You gentlemen can go. We will…”


“He said the big guy attacked him or was going to?” The other cop says and now, I feel very nauseous!


“He’s dressed like he’s going to dinner, is built like the side of a barn and there’s not a mark on Novotny! Like I said gents, you go and enjoy your evening. We’ve got this.”


GUIDO


“Jesus, what have you been lying in?” I step back from him. “Where’d you end up?”


“What?” He demands.


“Wrong tone, wrong word and missing a very important oh now what was it that Stanley said you called it...oh yes, salutation.”


“I don’t…”


“You should say, pardon officer I don’t understand.” He stares at me. “And I would do that now because the way you smell, you won’t get a cab to stop for you. But I could, should you be suitably obsequious, get you home in the meat wagon…”


Twenty minutes later, we are driving the idiot home to his friend, Albert, having cautioned him about false reporting.


HEATHAN AND ERIC’S APARTMENT


KITCHEN


BRIAN


“The whole point Justin, of being invited for dinner is that you don’t take over the other person’s kitchen!” I whisper in his ear, but I’m not mad. I can’t be mad since he is in his element. I don’t get to see him be a chef but we are all crowded round, watching him expertly fillet some monkfish for the tacos.


“Thanks, Justin. I thought I had ordered cod but clearly not…” Heathan smiles.


“No problem…” He says, running his fingers over the fish. “...haven’t filleted in a while. So what else are we having?”


“Rib eye steaks with garlic, butter and thyme.” He replies. “Speaking of which, how do you like it done?”


“Excuse me gents and lady, but nobody is doing the steaks but me.” I declare and look around. “Where are they?”


“In the fridge.”


“The fridge? This is steak, it needs to be brought to room temperature before you cook it. Get it out now!” I order and he hurries to do so. “And the butter too.”


“I thought you weren’t supposed to take over someone’s kitchen.” Justin mutters.


“Are you seriously telling me that you wouldn’t be doing the same thing I am?”


“No. But I would at least say please!” He laughs.


“Here you go.” Heathan interrupts and places the steaks on the counter and Justin and I look at them and then at him. “What?”


“Jesus!” Eric exclaims, looking at the steaks. “I know you wanted to say sorry, but that’s one fuck of an apology!”


“What? What’s wrong?”


“Nothing, but that’s not a rib-eye steak. Well it is, but that’s a tomahawk rib-eye steak.” Justin explains while I reverentially take them out of the packaging.


“Is it? I have no idea about cuts of meat. I just asked my man to give me the best rib-eye he has.”


“You have a man?” Justin is checking over the steak. “Look at the marbling on this thing!”


“Yeah, use him all the...okay, now what?” He asks as both Justin and Molly look at him keenly.


“You buy all your meat for yourself from him?” Justin asks.


“Yes, I just give him a list of the meats I want and once every three months, stock the freezer.”


“Can I see the freezer?” He nods and opens what I thought was a pantry but it’s a freezer. “I think I can safely say that you have the most organised freezer I have ever seen, outside of a professional kitchen! Does Odette know you do this?” He shakes his head. “Well you need to do two things tomorrow. One is tell her about this and the other is give me the number of your guy. His meats are much better than our current supplier!”


“Okay, his number is…”


LE LYONNAIS - SAME TIME


NORMAN


I am so nervous! When Melinda called to cancel due to illness, I figured oh well never mind. But when she called to reschedule, I was surprised and now she is late. Okay, it’s only a minute, but when you’re well...me...and you’ve been harangued by Lindsay all of your married life, it knocks your confidence.


“Norman! I am so sorry! Taxi was late. Have you been waiting long?”


“No, not too long. Would you like a drink?”


“Oh please. A belting glass of red would be perfect.” She smiles at me.


“Could you make that two?” I ask the waiter, who nods.


“So Daddio, enquiring minds want to know, what is a fox like you doing with a fishwife like Lindsay?”


“Fishwife?” I chuckle.


“Yes. Oh my goodness me, can she prattle! Oh, but have you heard what the committee did?”


“No, do tell…” I lean closer to her for conspiratorially reasons only, and not because she smells like cookies!


Two hours later, we are walking back to my car and I am helping her into the passenger seat.


“I had an excellent time, truly. I hope we can do this again.”


“Me too.” I smile. “Now your address, ma’am.”


YEP - THURSDAY MORNING


REC ROOM


STAR


I am so happy! Tyrone took me to the doctors earlier and he said that I am doing really well on my exercises. I like Tyrone and Arch. They are nice together, Not as nice as my Daddies, but nice.


“You are so adorable! And getting stronger every day, aren’t you Star?” He puts me gently on the table and starts to brush me.


“Hey.” Arch says as he comes in and I plop down to wait for them to stop saying hello to each other. “How’s he doing?”


“The right back leg is still a bit weaker than the left, but he’s doing good. You okay?”


“Yes. Well no, but not a bad not okay?” I prick up my ears.


“What does that even mean you are either okay or you’re not and…”


“Theresadoubleroominthetowerandhunteriskeepingitformeimeanusifyouwant.” I am so glad that I have better hearing than humans...I just about made that out and nuzzle Tyron’s hand to get him to move because he’s gone very still.


“Did you just ask me to move in with you?” He whispers.


“Of course he did you twit!” I bark at him. I am allowed to say twit but not the other words I hear my Daddies say; Hero done told me off when I said the f-one once.


“So what do you say?” Arch asks quietly.


“Yes, I say yes. But word of warning I am messy, I snore and I can’t cook for shit!”


“Messy I can’t comment on but the other two I already know about, you sound like knackered saxophone when you get going and you are not going to be cooking, only you could fuck up a cup of tea.”


“So are you going tonight or tomorrow?” Daddy comes in smiling.


“Teach! Were you eavesdropping?!” Arch asks going as pink as my tongue.


“You can’t call it eavesdropping if you leave the door open and speak as loud as you did.” He looks at them both. “So?”


“Today, once I finish brushing Star.”


“Go and do it now. I’ll finish brushing Star.” He orders and they run out.


“So Star, how would you feel about your other Daddy moving in with us?”


“I would love it!” I bark at him and wag my tail so hard I fall over and he helps me back up. “I would love it so much!”




Goose leg confit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/recipes/confit-goose-leg/

Tonight We Duck recipes:

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/duck-leg-recipes/

Fish tacos: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/tasty-fish-tacos/

Tomahawk steak:

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrIRlsh9DVa4XwARMd3Bwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBycDZicmtuBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwM2BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1513514145/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.thespruce.com%2ftomahawk-rib-eye-steak-2313425/RK=2/RS=EszzqkH8m8M1QlZeVDYSIBkex3M-

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kiindly and constructively, thanks.