- Text Size +
Story Notes:

All recognizable characters and places are the property of their respective creators. No copyright infringement is intended.  The plot, original characters, places and situations belong collectively to the authors of this project. We hope you enjoy this unique journey of the RAGE characters.

Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Chapter written by: MissMerlot

CHAPTER 1 - UNDER THE LIGHT


WOODLANDS PUB - FRIDAY NIGHT


BYRON


Seriously, I could just go home now! Yet again, I am sitting in Woodlands, not wanting to be here. Don’t get me wrong, I love my friends, well mostly, but there are times when I just want to be with someone who is not them. I have Mika, who has been my best friend for years and wants to be more but I am firmly pushing back on that.

 

Then there is Elvis, who for all his queenliness is as fierce as a lion. We have a close relationship, but we keep that quiet. He gets me, but not like that. I was walking down the street one day and he caught up with me and asked me flat out what was wrong. Before I knew it, I said that I felt lonely and within two hours I had two kittens in my beautifully appointed loft. One pure white and one a beautiful blue/gray. I was horrified for all of about an hour, and despite my best intentions, Fizz and Pop took up residence in my bedroom!

 

And then there is my right hand man, Fagin. I smile as he makes his way carefully back from the bar with our drinks. He carefully places down the tray and Mika rolls his eyes. This I don’t get. Fagin started off as his friend, so why does he look at him like that? Okay, I may have hurt Mika’s feelings by hiring Fagin, but Mika runs a comic book store, and I needed a fucking accountant! Fagin has a marketable skill, while Mika barely has any skills at all, except to talk incessantly about subjects of no import to the real world around him. But hey, as long as he doesn’t treat me like shit, we’re good.


As I take a sip of my drink, I look round the room. There is nobody in this whole place worth fucking. Looks like it will be another boring night with only my hand for company when I get home.


LEVIATHAN STREET


DESTINY


“Are you sure you want to be dropped off here?” I glance around, I mean seriously! Coming out is one thing, but this much out is something else! There is a man… uh, woman?... well someone with three boobs! What the hell is this, a circus?!


“Des, I will be fine. I think. No. I will be fine!” Jules asserts. Even though I can see he looks terrified, he wanted to come to Levi Street, and since his parents are away with Mildred, he can do this without fear of retribution. “You need to unlock the door. I promise if nothing has happened after an hour, I will call you.”


I release the catch and hand him some pepper spray. “No-no! You don’t get to object! Take it or I shall put you back in this car! You know I can!” I hiss, and he slips it in his pocket and is off down the street. Once I see his shoulders drop in relaxation, I park up and follow.


MIKA


“Come on guys, let’s go to Badlands! I feel like dancing and getting my dick sucked!” I get up and pull on my jacket. I catch the look between Elvis and Byron and wonder what that is about, but shrug it off and head to the bar to settle the bill.


As I watch the guys finally get their asses out of their seats, I sigh. Byron is being cruised, as usual, and I pray that he doesn’t stop to check the guy out. But of course, he does.


“Said he’ll see us there!” Elvis smirks, and starts to shepherd us out.


“No, I’ll wait. You guys go on.” I tell him, and they both exchange looks. “What? At least this way, I can make sure he’s coming.” I point out.


“Oh honey, he’s definitely going to be doing that!” Elvis snickers and heads out.


Twenty minutes later, he’s still not out. I head to the bathroom and go inside. “Byron!” I call out.


“He went about 15 minutes ago!” Someone calls back. “Said he just couldn’t do it with a guy whose breath smelt like pond scum!!”


“Fuck off cretin, It does not!” Another voice shouts back.


“Oh yes, it does!” A couple of people shout back.


I am furious! Not with them, but with Byron for leaving me here! He should’ve known I would wait for him like I always do. As I run up the street, I bump into this twink. “Watch where you’re going!” I snap at him, as he looks at me in surprise then rolls his eyes. “Hey, watch your manners also!” I snap, coming back up to him.


“You ran into me, not the other way round!” He snarls and keeps walking.


“Fucking brat!” I yell at him, and he gives me the finger.


Once I get to Badlands, I almost have to queue, until Elvis speaks to the doorman and they let me in. I don’t understand that! They, in fact everyone on the Street, knows that I’m Byron’s best friend! I don’t know why they go through this shitshow every time I’m not with him!


As we head to the bar, I see just Fagin. “Where’s Byron?” I yell, to be heard over the music.


“Where’d you think?!” Elvis yells, and points to the backroom.


“Ah, his domain...” I smirk, before looking round for a likely candidate as my cock starts to twitch at the thought of watching Byron in action! I catch a guy’s eye and with a mutual nod, we head to the backroom.


JULES


I am so glad that Des gave me the pepper spray. I was almost tempted to use it just then. It’s been forty minutes now and to be honest, it’s not what I had hoped. I’m going to call it a night. I turn back and head to the meeting place to wait for Des. After 5 minutes of trying to get hold of her, I still can’t get through, so I head to the street light to see what the hell is up with my phone and find out that my battery is dead!


“She is going to kill me.” I mutter and sigh. “‘Make sure your phone is fully charged.’ Yeah she’s going to kill me!”


I look around to see if there is someone I can approach for help, but there’s no one I would want to approach.


“Your phone isn’t charged is it?” Des’s voice interrupts my thoughts, and I almost leap to the top of the street light like a scalded cat!


“Jesus fuck, Des!” I punch her in the arm and she just glares at me and reaches for my phone. “I forgot okay!”


“Not… not okay!” She punches me back. “So glad I was following you. No, don’t object! Stay right here and I’ll get the car. Right here, you understand?!”


She runs up the street and I rest against the lamp post to wait for my heart to come down from my throat! As I calm down, I look across and see a club called Badlands. I wonder if I can persuade her to go in there instead of home. It looks interesting to say the least! I check to see if she’s coming and try to formulate a plan. First things first, need ID. As I look at the one I bought, I frown.


“You won’t get in.” A voice tells me and I tense up. “Not with that anyway.” He laughs.


“You’re being very rude.” I tell him, stuffing the ID back in my pocket, my cheeks flaming.


“Rude, or helpful?” He asks, and starts to tilt up my chin. At first I resist, but then curiosity gets the better of me and I look up… into the most beautiful face I have ever seen! He smirks when my stomach growls. Oh for fuck sake, really! “Hungry?”


“I-I… am waiting for my friend. She’s my ride.” I stammer.


“That’s not what I asked.” He laughs again, as again, my stomach growls. I inwardly sigh, wanting the ground to swallow me up! “Do you have a…”


“Get away from him!” Des hisses. “I will scream the fucking place down!” She growls.


Not now Des!


He is now outright guffawing. “Okay tigress, calm down. I am not going to hurt your little cub. I was just wondering if he’s hungry and was telling him that he won’t get into Badlands with his very bad, fake ID.”


Oh shit! Now she really will kill me!


“Fake ID?” She echoes and then focuses on me. “Give it. Give it now, Jules!” She snaps, and I take it out of my pocket. “How much did you pay for this?” She sighs.


“$20.” I mumble feeling the blush starting to take over my body. “Can we just go now please?” I am beyond mortified. The guy folds his arms and looks between us.


“Yes, and we are sooo going to talk!” She turns to the guy and puts on her best smile. “Sorry that I snarled at you. It’s just he’s very new to this and…”


“I figured.”


“Thank you for stopping him from going inside.”


“You’re welcome.” He chuckles and then looks down the street. “You see that diner over there about three blocks away?” We nod. “I’ll be there in 10 minutes. Tell the redhead that Byron sent you and order some food. Okay?”


Please, please, please Des, say yes, say yes!


“If you’re not there in 10 minutes, we’re leaving…” He nods with a smirk. “...and taking whatever food we order with us, and you can just pay for it whenever you show up!” She declares, and again with the nodding and smirking. He gives me a quick wink before heading into the club.


“Thank you!” I call after him and he waves, pointing down the street. “What was that for?!” I demand, rubbing my arm.


“The fake ID! Who’d you get it from?” She pulls me down the street to the diner. “You are so getting your money back!”


BADLANDS


FAGIN


I shake my head, as yet again, Mika heads towards the backroom, but once he sees Byron, he ditches the guy immediately.


“Where have you been?” He asks. “I have had two awesome blowjobs!”


“If they were awful, why brag about them?” Byron frowns, looking through his wallet.


“Awesome, not awful...how were yours?” He asks.


“How were my what?” He continues to search for something. “Aha!” He crows as he pulls out a condom and sticks it in his pocket.


“Byron!” Mika whines, and that gets his full attention. “Are you seriously going into the backroom again? How about we dance first?”


“I haven’t been in the backroom and I don’t want to dance. I’ll see you later.” Byron retorts.


“Where are you going then?” He pouts, folding his arms. I personally want to smack his bottom and send him to the corner for being a clingy idiot!


“Cherry picking.” Byron smirks and is off.


LS DINER


JULES


At least the burger is good, pity about the guy though. “Two minutes and we’re…” Des trails off her eyes wide.


“Hey kiddo, they’re over there!” Di, the redhead shouts. “For such a little guy, that boy can eat!”


“Good to know!” He shouts back and approaches the booth and slides in next to Des. “Two minutes to spare.” He grins before turning to her and putting out his hand. “Byron Kent.”


“Des Stone and this is Jules Thomas. His face is not normally covered in tomato sauce.” She says, as she hands me a napkin and I kick her, only for Byron to wince.


“Now is that nice?” He rubs his shin. “So Jules, this your first time? On the Street I mean, not in general.”


I can’t believe he just asked me that! “Yes.” Des answers, widening her eyes at me and slowly starting to smile.” So you’re him then?”


“Who him?” He reaches over for a fry.


“You’re that Byron Kent, the big bad wolf according to Di.” She laughs.


“Ah you’ve been warned, have you? Well, you Des are perfectly safe. You on the other hand Jules, may not be.”


I stare at him for a few seconds. “You are awfully sure of yourself.” I lick the sauce from the side of my mouth and lean back.


“Not only that, but I’m awfully sure of you.” He rests his chin on his hand. “You can fake many things but you can’t fake dilation.”


Dilation? Really? When?” Des demands, eagerly.


“Just before you arrived. They went big and inky blue.” He quickly flicks up his eyebrows as if daring me to deny it. “I should know, I was looking into them at the time.”


I can’t help it, I laugh. “Has that line ever worked for you?”


“Never had to use a line. Normally, I just grab and go.” He replies.


“Well you are not grabbing tonight.” I assert, and jolt when Des kicks me in the shin.


“Oh I wasn’t going to grab, but we are definitely going to go.” He growls and stands up. “So are you coming or not?” He stands above me and holds out his hand. He smiles when I place my hand in his. “What’s his address?” He asks Des, and she writes it down. “Will drop him off tomorrow. I promise.”


BADLANDS - FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


ELVIS


I smirk at the text I’ve just gotten from Byron. Happy to oblige. I text back, and go to find the source of his problem.


“Mika, come and dance!” I demand, pulling him onto the floor and we start to groove. “Isn’t that Faye?” I shout as Fagin’s twin comes into view and he nods.


“It’s such a shame about her and Calista.” Fagin shakes his head as he joins us. “But at least, she’s not held it against Byron.”


“What’s a shame?” Mika shouts back.


“Calista wanted Byron to have a baby with her and he turned her down. She and Faye split up soon after.”


“Again?!” Mika rolls his eyes. “What is it with Faye’s girlfriends wanting Byron to daddy up?”


“You are not blind, Mika!” I retort. “As we all have noticed, and perhaps you most of all, he’s gorgeous! He’d make a beautiful baby!”


“Well he doesn’t want to be tied down to a baby or anything like that!”


Including you! I think, but don’t say, and Fagin and I again exchange knowing looks. I love that he and I are doing that more and more lately.


“So what are you doing tomorrow?” I ask him, as he starts to reach for his phone again.


“Most likely hanging out with Byron. Why?” He pauses for a moment and frowns. “And unfortunately I’ll most probably have to kick out the trick du jour for him before that happens. Still can’t believe he has cats!”


“Why shouldn’t he have cats?” Fagin tries and just about succeeds in keeping the smile out of his voice.


“He knows I’m allergic.” He scratches, subconsciously.


“But you can take medicine for that.” I point out.


“Yeah, but not with the amount of booze I’ve had.” He sways slightly. “I think I should go home and sleep this off so that I can help Byron in the morning.”


“Yeah you do that, honey.” I soothe, and watch him walk away.


BYRON’S LOFT - HALF AN HOUR LATER


BYRON


He was quiet on the journey to the loft. He did keep looking across and gave me the odd smile. He’s kinda sweet, I find myself thinking as I lead him up the stairs. He didn't want to share the elevator and I had to comment on the fact the jeep was fine but the elevator was not! As we hit the top floor, I let him in and I watch him swallow hard and take a deep breath.


“Come on.” I say, as I pull him back out.


“Where are we going?” He asks nervously, as I lead him down to the next floor.


“My loft.” I reply, opening the door and being leapt on by Fizz. “Down monster!” I order, and as usual, he ignores me and demands to be petted. I sigh and stroke behind his ears.


“Whipped.” He snickers.


“Double whipped.” I grin. “This is Fizz and the one commencing butt wiggle before attacking is Pop.”


JULES


They are so cute! Fizz and Pop bounce round the loft, catching the toys I am throwing. Byron hands over a bottle of water. “Still sealed and no puncture marks.” He points out.


“I noticed. So explain to me why you have two lofts?”


“One I fuck in and one I don’t.” He replies simply, and I pause mid drink and look at him. “This is the one I don’t. And there are only three people that know about this one. You’re the third. Now come and sit. I’m not going to do anything.”


I sit down, but as far away from him as possible. “So tell me about yourself?”


“Really?” I frown.


“Yes, really or I wouldn’t have asked. Why were you on the Street looking so ripe for the plucking?”


“Ripe for the…”


“How old are you?”


“18 on my next birthday.”


“So are you out to your parents?”


“No. My dad would not like that at all. What about you?”


“No to parents, but definitely out.”


“I’m sorry to hear that. About your parents, I mean.”


“I’m not. They hate me and the feeling is mutual.” He smiles sadly. “Well, I don’t entirely but…”


“What’s it like?” I blurt out, and immediately wish I hadn’t.


“Being out?” I nod. “Freeing! Just do it and get it over with.”


“I’m out to Des.”


“And that’s it?” I nod again. “Out yourself to me.”


“But you…”


“I haven’t heard you say it. So say it.” He comes closer and I swallow hard. “Repeat after me. I am Jules Thomas and I am gay.”


“I…” My mouth goes dry as he inches closer still. “I am Jules Thom...uh Thomas and I am ga-gay.”


“Good, but now say it like you mean it.”


“Can you stop moving please?” He sits still with a smile, then jabs me in the thigh. “I am Jules Thomas and I am gay!” I say louder and without stammering.


“Well done! Now shout it at the top of your lungs!”


“Shout?” I frown and he nods. “I am Jules Thomas and I am gay!!” He just shakes his head… I blink for a few seconds and take a deep breath. “I AM JULES THOMAS AND I AM GAY AND FUCKING PROUD TO BE SO!” I yell, and promptly burst into tears.


“Hey! Hey, where’d those come from?” He pulls me into his arms and holds me tight.


“I don’t know! I just…” I hiccup. “You’re right, it is freeing.” I smile once I have pulled myself together. “Sorry about the shirt.”


“It’s okay, I don’t mind pretty boy tears. It’s pretty boy snot I have a problem with.” I smack him on his arm. “Stop hitting.” He grumbles with a smile.


“You know you like it!” I chuckle and play with a button. “Thank you.”


“You’re welcome.” He rubs my back and for a while we don’t say anything. “Want to go home now?” I shake my head.


“Good.” He murmurs and reaches for the blanket behind him to cover us up.


BYRON’S 3RD FLOOR LOFT - NEXT MORNING


JULES


The first thing I hear is purring. I open my eyes and I am looking at a shirt. I do not understand the shirt thing! Let alone the purring thing!


“Morning.”


Morning!


I sit up and wipe my mouth. Where the hell am I? I clench my ass and feel no pain.


“Your virtue is intact.” A voice drawls. “Bathroom is over there. Have at it. And your phone should be charged. You should phone Des.”


Ten minutes later and I am trying to wrest Fizz off my feet.


“Do you know you snore?”


“I do not!” I object.


“Yeah, you do.” Byron laughs. “Videoed it.”


“You didn’t…”


“Yeah, I did.”


I tilt my head to one side. “Uh Byron, someone is knocking on your door.” He frowns and heads to the door. “No, the one upstairs.”


“How did…?” He begins before his phone rings. “Mika, good morning. Where am I? I am at the vets…” He switches to a headset and starts to prepare breakfast, holding up things for a yes or a no. “Mika, I do not need you to get rid of anyone. Now, as  I have previously said, I am at the grocery store. Bye now.” He hangs up and flings the headset across the counter. “So you like your guacamole with extra chilli... got it.”


“H-how did you know that?” I ask and he pauses and smiles.


“Your burger last night had guac with extra chillies but no matoes.”


Matoes?” I smirk, coming to help and pinching a piece of bacon.


“Tomatoes. And I have a thing about numbers, stop pinching!”


“Where’s my phone?” I look around.


“Window sill. How’d you like your eggs?” He asks over his shoulder.


“The tiniest bit soft but not runny.”


I grab my phone from the sill and I don’t know why, but I back away from the window. “Hey Des! I’m… Des, what’s happened?! Des, I can’t understand what you are saying! Who's dead?”

 

Forty minutes later, I am still sobbing in Byron’s arms. My parents and my sister are gone. All because of a fucking drunk driving trucker… of course, he survived! Des is on her way. She’s all I have left!