- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Written by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 13 - UNLUCKY FOR THEM, THE IAGO TALKS

DINER - STILL DAY 13

CALISTA


I manage to haul myself up onto a seat and breathe through the pain. It is indescribable! It feels like pieces of me are being ripped away. Slowly the pain starts to ebb, and when it finally recedes I stand, scowling at the indifference everyone is showing to my agony, and I start to walk out. “Remember, honey! Byron is in New York!” Di calls out.


“That’s what planes are for!” I snap, and flinch as pain flares up again.


“Have a safe flight!” She trills.


I stumble up the street, find the nearest alleyway, and step into the darkness. “Ut me meae (take me to my sanctuary)!” I incant.


CALISTA’S ESTATE

BEDROOM


When I feel the crisp but familiar comfort of my sheets, I sigh and uncurl as the pain again starts to ebb. “Dolor auferat a me (rid me of this pain).” I order, and while it doesn’t go away, it does ease. Then I hear that chuckle.


Not time yet… only a day or so. But hurry, hurry, you need to find Byron in the Big Apple!


Ut me iens Novum Eboracum (take me to New York)!” I smirk as I land outside the W Hotel.


Teleportation is a nice touch. Stupid, but a nice touch!


What do you mean?!


Well you and I both know that you should only teleport once a day because it depletes your magic… such a shame that your objet d’amour is not here and all the flights back to Gayopolis are full. That is, of course, if he is in Gayopolis at all. Bye-bye!


KINNETIC

CONFERENCE ROOM 2

CYNTHIA


Ouch, what the fuck was that for?! I glare at Fagin as he mentally kicks my shin.


Concentrate!


I scan the room, as clearly, someone has just asked me a question… When is Byron due back? “He’ll be back at the end of the week, but not in the office until the end of next week.”


“That’s perfect. We have time. Plenty of time.”


“Thank you Chief of Police Stockwell…”


“Please, call me Jim.” He smiles at me and shakes my hand.


“Jim then. We will speak to you next week.”


As they head out, I look at Fagin, and he nods. Yes, Jim Stockwell would be good for Gayopolis.


THOMAS MANSION - AN HOUR LATER

BASEMENT

HALO


We’re all waiting for Jules and Byron to come down and join us. I have been caught up on the current events and have been belly-laughing at what happened to the imp… I mean Niad, and that frosty assed cunt during my stasis. “So why was I in stasis for so long?” I look at Vic and he grins. In fact, everyone is grinning, well all except Des, who has her head lowered. “What?” I look around.


“You are healed.” Vic smiles and brings over a full length mirror. “And now that you have let go of your sorrow and rage, you look like that.”


I stare at myself in the mirror. And blink. And blink again. “You said I wouldn’t change.”


“No, I said you would never go into battle… not the same.” He argues. “This was always there and now that you have accepted what has happened, the outer matches the inner. When it’s time to make the weapons, you’ll change back, but as an everyday look, well here you are.”


“I look… I look…”


“Des, anything to say?” Vic asks, tilting his head.


“He needs to put on his pants.” She replies, still with her head bowed.


“Why?” Elvis asks.


“Because the mouse is coming out of the house.” Byron drawls as he joins us. “And from a purely aesthetic point of view, it’s a good sized mouse.”


“Oh for fuck sake!” I shriek, and run behind the mirror to tuck myself back in and then come back out. “So what’s happening today?”


“We start to pack up.” We all stare at him. “This is your second home. Your place of sanctuary. Your protected space. Yes, you will always have your own places. But Ice-Tina will eventually find a way to get into them. We need to protect this place more. Hence the portals, which she can’t sense. As I said before, make this your home away from home. Once we have done that, you will meet Doc and Brains. They have been at Thomas Electronics and have been changing a few things. It will be our headquarters for military actions. Now come along, let’s get this place tidy!”


THE UNDERGROUND - LATE AFTERNOON

CODY


Well it seems that what has happened to us in Calista’s estate has extended to the Underground. I feel that I have gotten off lightly, with only having the second jaw, but some, like Igor, have been severely battered with the ugly stick! But I still like him. Naturally, Cylo is no longer interested in him, and that has broken his heart.


Calista is wherever the fuck, but we woke up here this morning along with the orb that has the bitchy niad in it! If it wasn’t for a direct order from her ‘highness’, I would smash that fucking thing. That high pitched, whiney voice of hers goes right through you!


“What the hell has happened to us?!” Some guy calls out as he takes in his new image. “Jesus, Cody! Does that hurt?!”


“Nope!” He flinches as I clack my side jaw.


“Where’s Cylo?” He asks.


“I’m here!” He calls out from a corner and steps out. While the blood on his clothes has disappeared, the knife continues to drip of its own volition, as does the side of his mouth. “Cody, do you know what Calista wants us to do?”


I shake my head, but then, right on cue her call comes through. I hold my hand up for silence. “Calista, we’re all back at the Underground and… New York? What are you…? Oh, okay. When are you coming back? It's just that everyone who hung out here has changed. No, I haven't seen Halo... True... Okay, I will keep everyone here. Just one more thing... About the mouthy Niad, is there something you can… oh right. Thanks.” I hang up and smile, but grimace at the same time. “Right. Calista said we’re all to stay here. The only persons who we should let in are her and Halo. Chances are he’ll have transformed too, and will seek out his family.”


“What about me?!” Miss Mouthy shouts at me.


“Oh yeah, Calista said to let you know to not annoy me, or…”


“Or what?!” She snarks.


“This.” I retort and pick her up to give her a good hard shake.


“STOP IT! STOP IT!” She screams as she bounces and jolts around.


“She said that when she did this you got real quiet, real quick!” I laugh, shaking her harder!


“I’m going to be sick!” She screams.


“That only affects you!” Igor snickers. “Throw it to me. I want to shake her up, too!”


“I’LL BE QUIET!  I PROMISE! JUST STOP!” She shrieks as she flies towards Igor.


“You promise…?” Cylo intercepts her passage then twirls and bounces her. She nods vigorously. “Good. You have such an irritating voice! I can’t think why she would want to keep you.” She’s about to say something, but the warning tilt from him has her sitting down in the bottom of her bowl, sulking.


“Sulking beats speaking any day!” He chuckles.


“So, you’ve accepted what you’ve done then?” I ask Cylo and he nods. “Shame about…”


“If he hadn’t gotten in the way, then he’d still be here, alive. So it’s his own fault, not mine!” He snarls. He’s lying, but I let him live in his world. At least, he’s stopped his fucking mooning!


“So when do you reckon Halo will get here?” Igor asks.


“You know what he’s like. He likes to sleep in, and after everything that happened with his fam…” I pause as I notice how intently the niad is listening. I narrow my eyes then walk over to pick up the bowl and carry her to a cupboard. I take great pleasure in locking her loud, nosy ass inside. The last thing we need is a reason for her to speak again!


“What did you do that for?” Cylo asks.


“I don’t like her. I can’t understand why Calista wants her around, but that’s what she wants. However, she didn’t say that I had to be around the little water bitch.”


ZEPHYRA


How fucking dare he put me in here?! I stand up and start to rock my bowl but whatever he has put me on is very sturdy and it isn’t moving. I try running from one side to the other and still nothing. “For fuck sake!” I grumble quietly. I need to get out of here so I can hear what they are saying. Wait till Calista hears about this! I sit down and start to ponder what I managed to hear. They mentioned a Halo. And the bloody boy out there killed someone, or a couple of people. I just need to find out who. Double Jaw Boy is not going to get away with this treatment! I shall make sure that I have Calista’s ear, just like I did Byron’s until my fucking mother interfered. I think about what happened and realise that after he screamed when I was changing, I never saw him again. I wonder what happened to him? Suddenly the door to the cupboard is opened and I am taken out. They place me on the window sill, but I’m still on the thing that doesn't allow me to move. I huff crossly while straining to listen to what they are saying. Then I hear someone say Jules and what someone called Cylo did. I chuckle and store that away for future use! As I look outside, I see something that makes my heart soar… Calista is coming! I smile as they scramble at the sound of her voice, and I rub my hands with glee!


CALISTA


I feel like shit! Even though I shouldn’t have teleported again, I needed to get back immediately. I sink into the sofa and sigh. “First thing you need to do is to clean this place up. I do not like coming into filth, detritus, muck, and mire!” I take another breath and stand up. “Slitherer, Mandible, Gaol, come with me, and bring Zephyra.” I find an empty and tidy room to sit down in, which is a miracle with the hovel this place is. “Place her here and tell me what has been happening.”


“Someone called Cylo killed someone called Jules!” Zephyra blurts out and smiles as Slitherer flinches.


“Oh, whatever for?” I sigh.


“I wasn’t trying to kill him.” He narrows his eyes at Zephyra. “I was trying to kill Des, his bitchy best friend. His watch-bitch stepped once more into my business, and then when she taunted me about what he was doing with Byron…”


“Byron?!” Zephyra looks up at him and then at me. “This Jules? Was his name Jules Thomas, perhaps?”


“It was.” Slitherer replies.


“Calista! This is perfect!” Zephyra cries out. “Byron owns half of his late father’s company. So now with the brat out of the way, he’s got the entire thing!”


“And that helps how?” Mandible asks.


“Well if you, and I can’t believe I am saying this, as Bailey, can get at him while he’s vulnerable, not that Byron does that sort of emotion of course, but he developed a soft spot for the little fucker. So with his money and your power…”


I nod and smile at her. “Right. I am going back to my estate and am taking Zephyra with me. She, unlike you lot, has proven useful! I shall be back tomorrow when my plans will have come to fruition, and this place will be fit for the queen I am!”


ZEPHYRA


As she carries me out of the room, I turn and give them the double finger and stick out my tongue!


CALISTA’S ESTATE - AN HOUR LATER

LOUNGE

CALISTA


I feel so much better! I have showered and replenished my powers. I look at Zephyra and her smug countenance. “And you are looking pleased with yourself because...?” I ask.


“We both get what we want.” She tells me.


“How so?” I am curious as to where she thinks she fits in here!


“You get Byron, of course! And well, with what I know about him, I can help you control him.”


I frown. “I thought you were his best friend.”


“I am! But as I was saying before I was changed into this, everyone needs to know that I, and now you and I, are in charge where Byron is concerned! And let’s face it, you can’t get to him without me.” She crosses her arms and stares triumphantly at me.


“And how do you figure that?”


“He’s not here.” She points out.


“So tell me about this company he now owns.”


“Well that’s the thing. You really need to get that information from Cynthia and Fagin. Whilst I was privy to his private life, he wouldn’t share his business life with me. There were times I tried to get him to help me with my store, but they wouldn’t let him! Once you get the information you need from them…”


I nod. “Anything else?”


“No. That’s all I have…”


“It’s enough for now. Well done Zephyra, well done.”


THOMAS MANSION - SAME TIME

LOUNGE

VIC


I can feel her heartbreak, but Di needed to see and hear this; needed to build up her resolve once and for all. When the transformation of Mika to Zephyra was done, the one thing I did was make the waters round her magical. It wasn’t only to keep her alive, but also so that we could hear what was happening around her. The reinforced glass also works as a megaphone which amplifies the sound to us. Since I kept all of his characteristics as Mika intact when he transformed, and I do mean all, the now-christened Zephyra doesn’t whisper well. In fact, she does tend to mumble under her breath a lot and in this case it will work to our ultimate advantage. No matter how secretive and cunning she believes herself to be, we’ll always know what the niad is up to. And, as an added bonus, that ability to hear what is going on extends to anyone she interacts with as well. Unfortunately for her, but great for us, Calista is already beginning to view Zephyra as a confidant. What Calista doesn’t yet know is that not only is Zephyra an attention-whore, but she is also an emotional bully. She isn’t loyal to anyone but herself. And by giving her back her memories and emotions, especially her jealousy of Jules, this coupled with her relishing in his death means she has laid a trap, but has no idea how big.


“So we at least know what her next move is going to be. Tell Cynthia and Fagin to be prepared.”


“C-can you protect Kinnetic from her?” Byron is still a little shellshocked by the pure spite, malice, vindictiveness, and nastiness of his supposed best friend.


“No, but then we don’t need to. Remember we have Cyren for that!”


KINNETIC - MORNING, DAY 14

CYNTHIA


I fluff up my hair and smile as I see Calista coming into the reception. “May I help you?”


“Yes, I would like to see Byron.” She looks down the corridor and I know what she is doing. It is confirmed when her face falls.


“Sorry, but he’s not here, and he won’t be until the end of next week. Should I make an appointment for the week after that?”


“What? No! I need to see him today!” She snaps.


Oh I just bet you do… how does that ache feel? How you must yearn to feel all nine and a half, long, thick, hard inches stabbing into any orifice he wants, but not the one he craves… because he won’t fuck you, no matter if you are a man or a woman!


“What did you say?!” She snarls.


“I said that it would be impossible, as he is not in the state right now.”


“Where is he?!” She hisses and steps towards me, and as I step back, she smiles. “I said where is he?!” she asks again, raising her voice as if the shrill tone is supposed to intimidate me. Bitch, get a clue!


“I am not at liberty to say. But…”


“Listen very carefully, Cunt-thia. I will not be challenged by the likes of you! My father and I are going into partnership, and we will be approaching Byron with a view to joining him as co-CEOs of Thomas Electronics. Do you understand?”


“Yes.” I reply dully.


“Good, you little bitch. I could pick that tiny brain of yours to find out where Byron is, but I think watching him fire you for betraying his trust in business would be so much better. Don’t you think? I know that Byron is here in the city so I believe I am going to speak to Fagin to find out exactly where he is, and you’re going to let me, aren’t you?”


“Yes.” I nod.


“Good little bitch. Now get me some coffee!” I snarl as I head down the corridor.


CALISTA


After a couple of minutes, I start to frown. As I walk down the corridor, it seems to be a lot longer than I remember! I look around and the offices are the same. Oh well, they must have extended.


“Hey!” A voice calls, but I ignore it and finally find Fagin.


“There you are, you feeble minded cretin!” I snap.


“Nice to see you, too.” He replies, not looking up from his papers.


“Where is Byron?” I demand.


“Don’t know. You need to ask Cynthia, since she looks after his whereabouts. I am just the accountant.” I probe his mind and find him to be telling the truth. He knows nothing about Byron’s whereabouts.


“Oh for fuck sake!” I grumble and head back to find her.


“Hey!” The voice calls out again, and since I need to take my anger out on someone...


“What do you want, you simpleton?!” I whirl around.


“I was just wondering why you are walking up and down this alley, talking to the rats on your shoulders. How’d you get them to stay there like that?”


“Wh...aaaaahhhhhhhh!” I scream, as I look at my shoulder and see a rat! I don’t understand!


Oh I did enjoy that! You didn’t recuperate and replenish as much as you thought! And time’s a-wasting! Tick-tock-tick-tock… better hurry and find what you need... or you will start to purge!


“For fuck sake!” I scream as I realise that it has all been a dream… but from when?


“Calista!”


“Zephyra, how long have I been asleep?” I demand.


“No idea, but your constant screaming woke me up!”

 

I check the date and time on my phone and heave a sigh of relief. It’s still day 13, just… I still have time!