- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Written by MissMerlot 

CHAPTER 15 - MEET DOC AND BRAINS, A HISTORY LESSON AND TO THE RESCUE

GUARDIAN HQ - MID-MORNING, DAY 16

VIC


“Right, everyone take their seats quickly! You have to go back to your regularly-scheduled lives, but you need to meet Brains and Doc before that. So, this hulking gentleman is Brains, and he is, as his name suggests, the person who will help Halo with the weapons.”



“Hi everyone.” He smiles and I watch Elvis swallow hard and smirk at Di. Told you! I mentally gloat.


Shush! She yells back and I suppress an outward chuckle. Sis hates being bested, especially in matchmaking.


“And this is Doc.” The slighter man smiles shyly and quickly sits back down again. “He along with Di, will tend to any injuries that you may have. Di, it is time.” There are looks of confusion as she stands up.


“Para bellum!” She intones aloud, and there are gasps as she transforms into her battle persona.


“Wow, Di! You look… what’s your name?”


“Red the Magi.” She smiles ruefully. “Not the most original I grant you, but it serves its purpose well.” She settles back down in her seat. “The time for battle is coming soon, guys and gals. The Regional Heads are prepared and ready too, so what…”


“Ahem! If I could finish…?”


“Oh, sorry!” She has the grace to blush.


“So, the Regional Heads from the Four Realms have been made aware that her pregnancy plan has failed. You will meet them in due course, but there is more to come before our fight begins. Right now her purge… sorry, her period… has started…” I chuckle at the cringing going on. “Sorry boys; trust me, I’m just as grossed out, regardless of the centuries between us. Anyway, she is furious as she thought she had finally gotten what she wanted, when she was being fucked in your loft.”


“My loft?! How did… Mika!” Byron snarls. “Can’t he just…”


“No, and we need him to be the Mika he’s always been, because he’s our ears as I’ve said before. That know-it-all-but-knows-nothing mentality has a purpose to serve after all, even if it’s still annoying as hell. Same goes for that goldfish memory of his- err hers.”


“So just who was fucking her?” Faye asks. “Byron has been either training here or at the mansion for the last two nights, so it couldn’t have been him. Not even he’s that gifted!” She snickers.


“Oh, it was a friend of mine.” I smirk. “Like I said, she got what she wanted, but not the end result she craves. Now I will leave you to get to know Brains and Doc, that goes especially for Brains and Halo. And Brains, feel free to show them what you’ve come up with.”


“Fine, thank you Master Vic.”


BRAINS


I have to say that when I was chosen to help Halo hone his skills in weaponry, I was honoured! It is very rare to work with one so pure. “Right everyone, you have your martial arts skills, and some of you, Elvis and Faye, have your side weapons, but now for the others. And of course, there’s the matter of your swords to deal with. Byron, you already have yours. As for the rest of you, your swords have now been completed. I will also show each of you the other weapons that you can all call upon to use in battle alongside your mental powers. Like Elvis and Faye, these items are solely yours, and can only to be used by you. There are exceptions of course, but we’ll address those later. So Fagin, you have smoke bombs. Jules, you have nunchucks, at the behest of Halo. And finally Byron, you also have a whip.” As I speak, their side weapons materialise in front of them. Now you must go and practice with them.”


Guardian Headquarters and Training Room




Their swords - from the left, Faye, Jules, Byron, Fagin and Elvis


Other weaponry

Elvis’s throwing stars


Faye’s daggers


Jules’s nunchucks


Fagin’s smoke bombs


Byron’s Fire Whip


JULES


I look shyly at Byron, but he’s concentrating on his sword and whip. Ever since we did what we did, he’s kind of avoided me. I haven’t wanted to read him, especially in case I don’t like what I find out.


“You could just ask him, you know.” Des nudges me as we head to the training room.


“No. This is about all of rejection I can handle right now.”


“You are being an idiot! He’s not stopped looking at you.” She whispers harshly.


“No, he hasn’t been looking at me.” I assert. “Now, let’s train!”


THOMAS MANSION - LATE AFTERNOON

LOUNGE

JULES


I have the place to myself and am watching the TV from the kitchen. I ache a bit after today’s session. I kept hitting myself with the nunchucks so I have bruises up the back of my arms and some on my back. “I cannot wait to have a bath!” I sigh as I spread guac… guacamole on my sandwich of chicken, bacon and matoes… tomatoes! I take a huge bite. Oh yes, this is delicious.


“So why aren’t you talking to me?” Byron’s voice startles me as he comes through the door and turns off the TV. “Chew, then answer.” He orders quietly. I swallow quickly and he indicates the corner of my mouth. I lick it and he shakes his head before approaching me. “It’s still there, let me get it for you.” He takes up a napkin and wipes my mouth. “So, why have you stopped talking to or reading me?”


“Well, after we…”


“Got each off in the most delicious way, yes?”


“I didn’t know what to do, especially when we could’ve and you didn’t…”


“I was waiting for you.” I must have looked surprised. “Jules, you said yourself that I want to. Well, I was waiting for you to say that I could. I want… no I need your consent, because the last thing I want to do is to make you feel powerless in this.”


“Oh.” I feel the blush creeping up my neck, so I look down at his feet.


“Jules?” He chuckles as he wraps his arms around me, pulling me closer.


“Byron, could we? I mean, do you think you and I…?”


“Yes. Most definitely yes, but at the weekend. We’ll go to my loft where there will be nobody but us, okay?” I nod. “I mean it. Nobody but us!” He says louder, and I chuckle when I hear Di and Vic laughing, but giving their word. “Now finish up your sandwich, go have your bath and rest.”


“Okay.” I reply shyly, stepping out of his arms. I pick up my plate, but then step back and give him a kiss that he deepens. I can feel his resolve weakening so I pull back with a grin.


“Don’t get so cocky. Your resolve started to slip first. Now go!” He shoves me towards the sofa and heads back down to the tunnel to go his loft. I wait to feel him leave and then dance around the room!


Stop dancing and eat your sandwich!


Shit! I blush to the soles of my feet!


THE UNDERGROUND - LATE AFTERNOON, DAY 17

SLITHERER


“Seriously, why is this fucking mouthy niad here?!” I demand of Calista, who seems to be in a much better mood.


“She provides invaluable intel on the whereabouts of Byron. You and Mandible will bring him to me this evening. Make it perfectly clear that it’s not an optional invitation, but do not harm him too much. I need him to be in working condition, especially that part of him. You will go to his place of residence.” She hands me the address and I nod.


The niad sticks out her tongue and I want to take a hammer to her bowl. “It’s unbreakable…” Calista chuckles. “...I already dropped her down the stairs!”


“So what time does he normally finish work?” I ask the water-bitch, but she affects boredom and turns her back on me. I gesture at her to Calista in fury.


“Zephyra, stop this now! Tell Slitherer what he wants to know.”


“No! I don’t like the way he…”


“About seven.” Mandible sighs crossly. “Oh, now that’s an idea! It’s not as if you are ever going to use it again. Before we go to pick up her prize, let’s go to his, sorry her, place and get her car. Saves cab fare.”


“How the hell do you know about that?!” She demands, whirling round before narrowing her eyes at Calista. “Did you tell him?”


“No. He read your thoughts.” She replies, scowling at her. “Obviously.”


“He can do that? I thought only witches could do that!” She looks dumbstruck.


“Of course, he can. He can also misdirect and compel.” Then she frowns while I glower at Mandible, who smirks at me. “So what was your power before they took them away?”


“What are you talking about?” She looks at us blankly.


“You mean, you still have them but can’t use them because of what you’re floating in?” Mandible asks. “What the fuck did you do?”


“What the fuck are you talking about?!!” She screams at him and stamps her foot before shooting him a niad death glare, which just makes her look like she’s bugeyed! “I have no idea what power you are talking about. As for what I supposedly did, I was merely laying down the law concerning Byron to the bitch, who is my birth mother. Everything regarding him should always go through me as his best friend. And as the man and head of the LS family, I expected to be obeyed unquestionably.”


I snicker while Mandible nudges me and chuckles. “Well that explains why you were turned into a girl. I suppose your voice and inherent bitchiness, as if you are always on the rag, were the other reasons, but do go on.” He tells her.


She rolls her eyes at me. “Anyway, she and I began to argue, which I was a bit surprised at, since she’s usually cowed so easily, or if not sufficiently cowered, then apt to give me my way to shut me up. Instead, the angrier I became, the more I started to change into this! Then someone purporting to be my mother, and my Uncle Vic blathered some shit about sending me to my true family. I believe I have already explained that much to you, you double jawed, cloth-eared idiot!”


“What a nasty mouth you have on you!” Mandible sneers before regarding her carefully and then starts to laugh, out of both jaws, which is a little disturbing! “Too bad there’s no longer a better use for that sharp tongue of yours. Five words for you: Suck dick more, speak less, you asexual cretin!” He laughs louder and longer this time at the outraged look on Zephyra’s face.


“Stop laughing Mandible and tell me what you have found out!” Calista orders.


“Nothing. But she said that she was a man before...”


“So?” I prompt, wanting to hear something to shut this little madam up!


“So now that he’s a she… well I’m going to assume that since she has tits, she’ll have that other part, and all that goes with it. And nowhere else for it to go!” He starts to laugh again and this time I join in.


“You mean, I’m going to… to… in here?!”


“Yep!” He guffaws. “I think seclusion during that time is called for. Hearing your bitching is bad enough, without actually seeing why!”


“Just a second,” Gaol interjects. “Can’t you even read minds or anything? I mean that’s basic stuff.”


“Calista?”


“Quiet! He has a point. Are you saying you didn’t have your powers gifted?” She asks her, and again a blank look. “So where are they? If they weren’t gifted then they had to have been transferred to another person.”


“WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! POWERS? GIFTING? WHAT IS THIS SHIT?!”


“You really don’t know, do you?” Gaol asks. “Everyone is magi, and born under an element, like fire, air, earth, wind, water, mist, light and very rarely, pure metal. Normally, you are born with any combination of the seven main elements. The most powerful, elemental of magis are those who are purebreds, meaning they come from two parents of the same element. But generally, they don’t survive as the power is too strong. So what was your mother?”


Again the blank look.


“Okay, there is a registry where every birth has to be registered. What’s your mother’s name?” Gaol looks at Mandible to do this part, as his now clawed hands can’t handle a laptop or his precious violin.


“Di Gilbert. But there must be hundreds of thousands of…”


“Jeez, did they teach you nothing? No, there will not be hundreds of thousands; there will only be one. You cannot have the same name as someone else. Ah, there she is. Di Gilbert, had a son named Mika Gilbert, and she’s part air and part water, as are you. Explains the bowl. As for your father oh… he’s not named, but was listed as again, air and water. And your powers were not gifted at the request of the mother. Instead the uncle transferred them, but the transferee is unknown, or more precisely, hidden.”


She’s going to throw a bitch fit, if the mutinous look on her face is anything to go by. We don’t have to wait long... “She took away my powers! They were fucking mine and…!”


“You knew nothing about them!” Mandible points out. “So why are you bitching about something that you never knew about, that you don’t have, and that you will never have?”


“Again, they were mine!” She yells. “They had no right to take them away from me! I have...”


“Yes, they did.” Gaol interrupts, rolling his eyes. “That’s the gifted part you seem to have forgotten as fast as we mentioned it to you. They have to give them to you, but only if they feel that you are deserving and worthy. Clearly they thought otherwise.” He smirks.


She folds her arms and then frowns. “Can you at least tell me what they would’ve been?”


“No. Once they’re transferred, they’re gone, as is the record of what they were. The only person who can tell you is your parent.”


She turns to Calista. “So your parents…”


“Didn’t gift me my first lot of powers; I took them from my sister, who was being endowed. They were very proud of me for managing to do it, but then I couldn’t use them until my actual powers came in. That was so fucking annoying! But enough history now... you boys have a package to collect!”


ZEPHYRA’S GARAGE - EARLY EVENING

MANDIBLE


Slitherer and I exchange looks and then look at the car again. “Seriously, we can still take a cab.” Slitherer calls from the corner of the garage. “That has got to be the most hideous car I have ever seen!”


“Come on, let’s just go!” I sigh and once I find the key in the wheel hub, I just wonder if the guy was also a virgin! Naivete is one thing, but people probably thought his stupidity was contagious. I know I constantly felt my IQ drop just reading the thoughts in that messy mind. It was like swimming through a swamp, unless you caught the very first beginning of the thought and followed it. Anyway, it doesn’t take us long to get to the loft and as we wait for our prey to arrive, Slitherer turns to me.


“You’ve had powers all this time and said nothing?”


“If you wanted to know, you should’ve asked.” I retort.


“Have you ever…”


“Yep, why do you think you didn’t kill his family?”


“He would never have found out!”


“He would, because Gaol would’ve told him…”


“Why would he have told him?!” He looks indignant.


“Because you are a braggart and would’ve told him. And because of his hatred of anyone that gets between you and him, he would’ve told him. It still would have ended the way it did, but with you getting the fuck you wanted.” I turn to face him. “You and the mouthy niad have a lot more in common than you think!”


“Let’s not speak unless we have to, eh?” He sneers and glares out of the window, highly insulted!


An an hour later, our prey drives up in a sweet fuckmobile. “We are going back in that and burning this!” I tell him as we get out and head to the garage.


BYRON



As I lock up the car, I immediately sense danger, and pause. “Can I help you…” I trail off in the face of whatever the hell they are! “Two.”


“Give me the keys and get in the backseat. We’re taking you to Calista.” The two jawed guy tells me.


“No, no, and hell no.” I reply, and then I spot something out of the corner of my eye... something gold and flickering.


“I love the way he thinks that we asked and are giving him a choice. She wants you and she’s getting…” He stops talking when we all hear a low rumble. “What was that?” Someone in the darkness asks.


“No idea, let’s just go!” Two jaws takes out a knife and indicates that I should get back in the car, but again, I shake my head. “Okay. She said that we had to get you there, but as long as you aren’t…” Again the low rumble, but then there’s the clatter of metal hitting the ground. “Slitherer, stop fucking about!” He shouts out.


“I’m not and I’m here next to you, you pain in the ass!” He steps out of the shadows beside him. So this is the guy that killed Jules and Des? Well him, I want a word with! “Mandible, just immobilise him and let’s get out of… is that a fucking TIGER?!”


“Yeah, I have a tiger in my garage that pro…” I begin to snark, but there’s something about the looks on their faces and the fact that they are backing away, that gives me pause. So I turn around and sure enough, there is a tiger behind me, but I’m not afraid. I know this angry puss cat, but it can’t be! By the time I turn back to them, they are running towards Mika’s ugly ass car with another tiger on their tails.





 





“Come here, you.” I call out to the tiger and with one more growl and a huff, she pads over to me. “And you, monster, you come here too, when you’re done.” I smile. “So that’s what you look like when you’re battle ready, is it?” I reach over to stroke Fizz’s face and get an elbow to hand lick in greeting, but Pop is still watching the two goons she sent, who are just sitting in the car and staring at us. I stand up and turn to face Mandible and Slitherer. “Bye now.” I flick my hand and the car races down the street, with them screaming in terror. I chuckle in humor and surprise. “Did I just do that?!”


Yes, you did and he sent them. The melding is almost complete. Your powers are becoming one! And you have my word that nobody… and I do mean NOBODY… will interfere with whatever you have planned for this weekend, but there’s just one thing that you need to know before then. That tear his mother blew in your face, it protects the two of you against each other...


“So?”


Seriously?! And you call yourself a Stud? Don’t be a dud, Byron! Let’s leave that to Mika, or should I say Zephyra. Think!


“What…? You mean I don’t have to use a…?”


Correct, you don’t need them with him. Ever. Now get inside!


“Night Vic.”


Night Byron. And remember your promise to her.

 

“I do and I will be.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes: