- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter writen by: MissMerlot 

 

CHAPTER 3 - PUSHING AND GUIDING


MIKA

 

I went by the loft and just managed to get into the building before the door shut. As I made my way upstairs, Fagin was just leaving. It took a lot of cajoling but I managed to persuade Byron to come to Ma’s. But he asked Fagin to come as well. That was really annoying, but at least I get to show him the pictures of his, I mean our future trick. I wonder if we could do him together, now that would be great!

 

“Mika, I am not getting out on the road. Get out!” Fagin grumbles, giving me a shove. I glare at him and get out. As usual, Byron is being cruised by the taxi driver but he seems really preoccupied.

 

“Byron, you okay?” I ask him and it takes him a while to turn to me. “You okay?” I repeat.

 

“Yeah, just had a busy day of it.”

 

As we enter Ma’s house, I am surprised to see Elvis there with Faye and two young teens. I frown as I recognise him. “You! You were that rude shit from the other night!”

 

He looks up at me and narrows his eyes. “Again, you walked into…”

 

“What are you doing in my mother’s house?!” I demand.

 

“Remember that kid who’s orphaned? Well this is him.” Ma holds up her hand and sighs. “Jules and Des, this is my son Mika. Next to him is Fagin and the wall leaner is Byron.”

 

“Sorry for your loss.” Byron says, and Fagin approaches, joining them at the table. “So Faye, are you helping him with his estate and stuff?”

 

“Yeah, he’s going to be a very rich young man. But first we have to get past the funeral and the like…”

 

“Well why don’t you take them back to his house and deal with it there. We adults need to…”

 

“Mika, is it?” The young woman interrupts. “He has just lost both of his parents and sister. Do the world a favour and show some compassion!” I feel my face start to go red. “You strike me as the kind of person who would demand sympathy if you were in his position!”

 

Everyone turns to look at me and I decide that I hate the mouthy little bitch! Byron has a particularly annoyed look on his face. “Sorry for your loss.” I mutter and get a curt nod in response.

 

“Wait a second, you said that he’s going to be a rich young man. How?” Fagin asks, staring at him again. “What’s your surname, Jules?”

 

“Thomas.” He replies.

 

“Who was your father?”

 

“Craig Thomas. He owned Thomas Electronics and…”

 

“Oh well. When you’re ready then, Byron and I will speak to you about the business.”

 

“Why would you and Byron need to speak to him?” I ask, barely containing my sneer.

 

“Because Byron owns half of his late father’s business.” Fagin explains, and looks across at Byron, who nods. “Faye can set that up with Cynthia, alright? Now, Di can they stay here in the interim? They look exhausted!”

 

“Why here?” I retort. “Can’t he go to his house?”

 

“Seriously?! I mean fucking seriously, Mika!” Ma snaps at me. “You guys go on up; Elvis can show you the way. I’ll make some hot chocolate for you.”

 

I watch them leave and the look that Des gives me is lethal. Okay, so not my finest comment, but what I meant was…

 

“He is not going to be interested.” Jules says as he passes me. “Not at all.”

 

DI

 

I frown as I look across at Byron, who has a ghost of a smirk round his lips.

 

“What a mess! A drunk driver, who of course, survived.” I grumble. “Now what are you guys going to do tonight?”

 

“Well I was…” Byron begins.

 

“We’re going to Woodlands.” Mika interrupts. “Come on guys!”

 

“Uh no, Mika. I am going home.” Byron stands and stretches. “I have had a long day and with that poor kid’s news, I am exhausted.”

 

“But…” He grumbles.

 

“But nothing. Later boys.” He states firmly and starts to leave, but then pauses and frowns. “Won’t be long.” He heads upstairs and I wave Fagin back and follow.

 

BEDROOM


DES

 

I hand him another tissue and try to stop the flow of blood from his nose. “What happened?” I jump at Byron’s voice.

 

“Don’t know. He just started bleeding.” I try to get him to tilt his head back.

 

“Forward.” He orders. “He needs to lean forward.” He sits next to Jules and moves me gently out of the way. “Can you get some ice please?”

 

“I’ll get it.” Di calls out from the door. “You get yourself cleaned up.” She orders.

 

JULES

 

“Byron, please listen to me.” I beseech him. “Whatever you do, don’t fuck the guy that Mika wants you to. I have a bad feeling about him.”

 

“What are…”

 

“Please?!” I insist urgently.

 

“Okay. I won’t.” He replies, arching an eyebrow.

 

Promise? You must promise that you won’t!” I whisper, looking him dead in the eyes.

 

“I promise.” He replies. “Now go and get some rest.” He tells me before frowning. “You punched yourself in the nose, didn’t you?” He asks and I nod. “You could’ve just asked to speak to me. You didn’t have to cause yourself physical pain.”

 

Oh for fuck sake!

 

“Stop swearing.” He chuckles and gently wipes my nose. “Let me see.” I tilt my head back and he checks my nostrils.

 

“Here’s the ice.” Di comes in and he places the wrapped cubes on my nose. “You need me anymore? Des has gone to bed now.”

 

“No. He’s going to be going to sleep soon.” He tells her before turning back to me. “Get in…”

 

I look at him and the green in his eyes flares, and suddenly I find myself feeling oh so very tired and just do as I’m told. In seconds, I am sound asleep.

 

MIKA

 

Ma and Byron finally come downstairs. “Come on, let’s go!” I order, having called a cab during their absence. “Cab will be here in five and it’s taking us to Woodlands because…”

 

“Mika, you’re doing the selective hearing thing again.” Byron sighs. “I am going home, alone, to sleep. You and the boys go do what you want to do.”

 

“But Byron…”

 

“Mika!” I turn to face him, impatiently.

 

“Leave him alone.” Elvis sighs crossly. “And, not that you care, but good night to you, too.”

 

He’s right, I don't care! I turn to speak to Byron, only to see the door closing. But before I can get to it Faye is there first, shutting it firmly. “Excuse me Faye, I have to…”

 

“Give it a rest!” She snaps. “You don't have to do anything; you want to! Right now, Byron needs rest!” I hear the beep of the cab and rush to the window to see Byron getting in. “And rest he shall have!”

 

JUNIPER ACADEMY - FOUR DAYS LATER


CYLO

 

Finally, Jules is back in school! He’s looking really tired, but still as beautiful as ever. I wait till Des leaves him alone- I swear she’s like a fucking limpet- and head over.

 

“Hey Jules. How are you?”

 

“Okay, I guess. Still hasn't sunk in yet. How are you?” He closes his locker and his eyes shine with tears. I want to hug him so bad, but I daren’t, not here. I need to get him alone for that.

 

“Alright. You were lucky, you missed a nasty test in your…” I stop myself as I see the fury in his face.

 

Lucky?!” He hisses, coming to a halt. “Yeah, become an orphan and you too, can miss out on tests! And for the record, I didn't miss out. I had to find a distraction and the test stopped me from thinking about that!”

 

“Jules, I didn't…” I reach out to him, but he steps away.

 

“Don't!” He snarls. “Don't ever speak to me again!” He stalks off without a backward glance.

 

“Nicely done, numbskull!” Des growls before running to catch up to him.

 

REAL ESCAPE COMICS - FRIDAY LUNCHTIME


MIKA

 

“Byron!” I look up in delight as he saunters in. I come round the counter to hug him. “How are you?”

 

He steps out of reach and sighs. “Mika, remember we had a talk about you trying to monopolize my time?”

 

I frown and try to think when we had that talk, let alone when I monopolize his time! “I’m your best friend, who…”

 

“Gave me a migraine yesterday when you came round to Kinnetic, and to the loft, trying to see me.”

 

“But...”

 

“But nothing. I am here to tell you that I’m going to be away on business for the next 10 days. Do not go to Kinnetic or the loft. I will be in Europe in various countries, trying to make inroads there. I will need to concentrate and not be disturbed by you.”

 

“Disturbed?” I pout.

 

“Yes, disturbed! There is about a five hour time difference between here and the countries I am going to be in, so your morning will be my night. Do you understand what I am saying?”

 

“So call you in my afternoon then?” I ask hopefully, working this out correctly.

 

He sighs. “Let me call you. I will be busy and not able to talk when you want me to.”

 

“Fine.” I nod with a fixed smile. “So we’re going to the diner now?”

 

“Yeah, will… Byron Kent…” He puts the call on mute. “I’ll meet you there. Have to take this. Hey Fagin...”

 

I watch him saunter down the street and roll my eyes. Since when do I have to wait?! As I go to lock up an idea hits me, and I pull up Bailey’s picture in readiness and then make a call.

 

DINER


BYRON

 

I take the booth and look around. I can’t wait to get away from the Street for a few days. I smile as Di comes over with coffee and a brownie. “Don’t speak until you have eaten that!” She orders, with the hot pot too close to my lap, so I do as I’m told!

 

“So where in Europe are you going?” She asks, rolling her eyes.

 

“Oh for fuck sake!” I growl and she pats my hand. “I wondered what the brownie was for!”

 

“Honey, you know what he’s like when it comes to this time of year…”

 

“Yes and I’m getting sick and tired of… what the hell is Jules doing here?” I demand as he slips into a booth by the window.

 

“Oh he’s meeting Faye to talk about his father’s business. He just wants it ‘over and done with’ unquote.” She sits back and sighs. “He’s gone back to school and had a rough couple of days. I think he’s actually going to quit.” I watch him fiddle with the napkin holder and she jerks her head.

 

“Yes ma’am.” I murmur and walk over. “Hey kid, how you holding up?” He looks up and he gives a small smile.

 

“Um, okay, I guess.”

 

“Bullshit. You feel like fucking shit and you just want to curl up into a ball.” He nods and takes a big breath. “Di!” I yell as I see Mika coming across the road and my first thought is to hide him but then I feel his annoyance. “Brownies please!”

 

“Coming right up, sweetheart!”

 

“Byron, why aren’t you… what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be in school?” Mika sneers at Jules, sitting down next to me.

 

“Shouldn’t you be in kindergarten?” Jules snaps back and I clear my throat.

 

“Mika, Mr Thomas and I have to discuss business and…”

 

“What business could you possibly have with a 17 year… oh my God, come with me now!” He demands, grabbing my arm tightly and almost yanking me out of the seat, and then into the bathroom.

 

BATHROOM

 

“What the fuck’s wrong with you?!” I demand, rubbing my arm after wrenching it away from his grip.

 

“Byron, that is all kinds of wrong!” Mika hisses.

 

“What is?”

 

“First, he’s 17, and secondly, he’s just lost his parents. Yes, he’s attractive, in his own way, but you can’t seriously be thinking…” He trails off in the face of my incredulity.

 

“Mika.” I growl and step right up to him. “I own half of his late father’s company! The next time you cast an aspersion like that because of your goldfish memory, we will be done. Do you understand me?!”

 

“I-I for-forgot about that!” He babbles. “I’m…”

 

“Pathetic!” I hiss. “Now get out of my way under your own steam!” He quickly moves to the side and I stalk out. I head to the booth and grab my jacket. “With me, now.” I order Jules as I pass his table, and call Faye to meet us in the loft.

 

DI

 

The way that the door was slammed shut says he has mightily fucked up again. When he comes out of the bathroom, he looks shellshocked. He clambers onto the stool. “So what did you say this time?”

 

“I didn’t…” He protests before breaking into a smile as he sees someone approach. “Hey Bailey!” A very good looking man saunters over and he sits down, before smiling at me.

 

“So you’re Bailey.” I smile back at him. “How do you know Mika? I’m Di by the way. I’m his…”

 

“Come on Bailey, let’s go sit over there.” Mika orders and hauls him to the family booth.

 

4TH FLOOR LOFT LOUNGE- SAME TIME


JULES

 

“What’s wrong?” He looks up from the counter. “You dragged me out of there before I could eat my brownie. I like brownies.”

 

“Mika said something I found distasteful…”

 

“But you do want to; it’s just that we haven’t.” I reply quietly. His head shoots up and he frowns. “I’m not stupid.”

 

“Okay, that does it.” He picks up his phone. “Faye, how far away are you? Can we reschedule this meeting for next week? Thanks.” He hangs up and heads towards me, and again holds out his hand. I let him lead me down to the 3rd floor via the bookcase.

 

DINER


BAILEY

 

I stare at this best friend of the soon to be father of my child. “So what am I doing here?”

 

“I was trying to get Byron and you to meet, but he’s gone now. And he’s told me that he’s going to be away for the next ten days.”

 

Ten days?!

 

“Where is he going?” I ask, trying to keep the desperation out of my voice. I have less than three weeks!

 

“Europe. Not sure which parts but he’s doing some business for his company and…”

 

“Europe, you say? And when does he leave?”

 

“He didn’t say, but I think it will be soon.”

 

“Well, can you find out?” I demand tightly. “I have some business there too and…”

 

“Now, how do you think Byron would feel about you talking about his business to a perfect stranger?” A voice interrupts, and we both look up to see Faye. For a moment, I feel a flash of desire. But the coldness in her eyes kills it immediately!

 

“He’s not a perfect stranger; I know him!” Mika spits at her. “And besides, this isn’t a business discussion. It’s a personal one…” He smirks. “Bailey has an interest in Byron and he…”

 

“Doesn’t need your help finding conquests. And if Byron wants to find such a handsome man, he will.” Mika goes a bit red. I have always admired her forthrightness. “Now, if you’ll excuse me. Di, a word please!”

 

“She is such a bitch sometimes!” He mutters, before pasting on a smile. “However, I think I know where Byron is now and can take you to him.”

 

My hopes soar. “And where would that be?”

 

“His business. It’s called Kinnetic and…”

 

“Take me there now!” I order, and stand up. He leaps up excitedly and runs to hail a cab.

 

Soon... it will be soon!

 

3RD FLOOR LOFT


BYRON

 

I hand him a hot chocolate and sit opposite him and regard him carefully. “Tell me about your parents.”

 

“My mom and I were very close. Is it bad that I miss her more than my dad?” I shake my head and gesture for him to continue. “He wanted me to follow in his footsteps, and she wanted me to do my own thing. My sister Mildred, she was a daddy’s girl…” He starts to cry again and I pull him into my arms.

 

“So when are the funerals?” I ask quietly. “And what’s this I hear about you having a tough time at school?”

 

“The funerals are next Friday, ironically on my birthday. And as for school…” He goes on to tell me about Cylo and his band of merry fuckwits, giving him shit. And despite the teachers telling him to quit, he just keeps on going. They even came to the house, but luckily, he was with Des, but they were caught on the security camera.

 

“You are moving out of there!” I declare. “Is there somewhere else you can go?” He shrugs and I reach for my phone. “Want to stay with Di?” He melts into my arms in relief. “Let me sort this out. In the meantime, go and get some sleep.”

 

He nods before frowning. “Mika is not going to like that.”

 

“Mika doesn’t like a lot of things, but he’s going to have to suck it up.” I growl, and call Di.

 

Ten minutes later, he’s still awake so I join him on the bed. “What are you thinking about?”

 

“What you said, about Mika thinking that we had…”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Well… you do want to…”

 

I turn on my side and rest my head on my hand. “You are seeking the wrong kind of comfort right now. You are going through a horrible time and…” He surprises me when he gives me a soft kiss on the lips, which I feel in my toes!

 

“I know all that. It’s just that I like you, and I know you like me, and I’m going to be 18 soon and…”

 

“That’s a lot of ‘ands’. We are going to be working closely together and I don’t want to muddy the waters, as gorgeous as you are.”

 

“Gorgeous? Me?” He looks surprised.

 

“Yes, you. When it comes to your late father’s company, we…”

 

“How did you get the shares? There’s no way he would’ve sold them to you.” He rests on his elbow.

 

“Oh I didn’t buy them directly. I got them through an intermediary, all legal and above board.” I smile in remembrance as the last board member sold his shares. He looked so relieved to be gone from there.

 

“Jacobson is gay!” He blurts out, startling me.

 

“Now seriously, how the fuck are you doing that?!” I demand, pinning him to the bed. “Tell me! You knew when my phone was ringing, and what’s this about Mika and a… speak of the fucking devil! Yes Mika, what is it?! What do you mean where am I? It's not your concern! You’ve already fucked me off today! Why are you at Kinnetic? What guy?! Why would I want to meet one of your comic book friends… no, I don’t want you to send me the photo. For fuck…” I snap as my phone beeps and he hangs up. I bang my head repeatedly on his chest and this makes him laugh.

 

“Aren’t you going to look at the picture?” He prods me in the ribs.

 

“You look at it.” I mumble, and hand him the phone.

 

“He’s hot.” He murmurs. “How the hell does Mika know him?”

 

Curiosity gets the better of me and I take a look. Yes, he is hot, but he does nothing for me. No, not a damn thing…. “Don’t know. Don’t care. As for hotness… seen and had better.” I shrug and toss my phone to the side. He laughs some more and that makes me smile. “Okay, I’m going to leave you to rest.”

 

“You can have it.” He looks at me with utter seriousness, and I gulp.

 

“What?”

 

“The company. You can have it. I have no interest in it. Do what you want with it. I was never going to work there. Never!” He repeats firmly and I frown. “I overheard him one day, talking to Mom, telling her that she had to get me to accept what was going to happen; that he was going to put me in charge and guide me when I left the academy. At least that was the plan until Mildred came of age, whether I wanted that or not. And I don’t want that! I just wish I’d told my mom the truth about me before she died.”

 

“I think she knew.” I tell him as I brush the hair from his forehead. “Or she wouldn’t have supported you the way she did.”

 

“So, will you take it?” He looks so determined.

 

“Yes. We will draw up the papers, but after the funerals, not before. Give yourself time, okay?

 

“Okay.” He blinks a couple of times.

 

“Yes. Yes I will come with you, if that’s what you are trying to ask.”

 

“It is, and thank you.”

 

CYLO’S BEDROOM - THURSDAY EVENING


CYLO

 

He’s not been at the house for the last week almost, and when we are in school, he ignores me! I’ve seen Des around and she’s not speaking to me either! I hear the stones being thrown at my window and open it. I smile down at my friends and climb down carefully.

 

When we get to his house, there are lights on and I whisper at the others to stay back. As I approach the window, I see him sitting on the floor, drawing. He calls out to someone, and I smile at his smile and at him laughing. I wait to see what he’s asking for, and my guts hit the floor… who the fuck is that?! And why is he smiling at him like that?!