- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter written by: MissMerlot 

 

CHAPTER 5 - HIDING, SEEKING AND SHOWING TRUE COLOURS

DI


“Et eos celatur. Sint tutum. Et vide quid bonum nisi verum.” (Keep them hidden. They are safe. I see what is good but the truth) I murmur as I leave, and smile to myself as I lead everyone but Byron and Jules out. Des is not in, and now I know his name, Cylo’s line of fire as the son of Hades wants Jules! Well there is a definitely going to be a problem with that. Byron and Jules have met; they are linked! Not fully, but they will be.


No meddling!


Me… meddle, Master? Never!


Want to be without your powers for the weekend! I know you have your eyes on that ring!


Not meddling! Not meddling!


I chuckle as I drive off.


BACK IN THOMAS MANSION LOUNGE

JULES


I’m not sure what happened but I think Byron does. “Can I ask…”


“Yes, but I won’t tell you. Not my place. Besides, I’m not entirely sure myself.”


“Oh please!” I pout and he smirks before pulling me up from the sofa.


“No. You are tired. You need to get some rest.” The green of his eyes flare again, and I feel myself starting to get tired but I step away from him and it lessens. “Jules, come here.”


“No, Byron. Don’t.” I step back as he advances and he frowns. “You said you wouldn’t do anything I didn’t want to and I don’t want to sleep. So please don’t make me.”


“Okay.” He sighs and gathers his jacket. “Will you be okay here by yourself though?”


“I don’t have to be by myself.” I begin tentatively. “Y-you could stay…” He pauses and regards me carefully. “You told Mika that you were going away on business, but you’re not and....” I babble, but pause when he puts his finger on my lips.


“I’ll stay, but no funny business!” He grins. “I don’t want you taking advantage of me!”


“How…”


“Till you ask me to leave.” He replies. “Now I’m going to pack…” He looks at his watch. “I’ll be back as quickly as I can. In the meantime, do not open the door for anybody!”


I grin and nod. He kisses me gently on the cheek and then he leaves. I frown, as again, I have this unsettling feeling. So I call my late father’s travel contact and get him to make some bookings for Byron, all over Europe, including hotels. It doesn’t lessen the feeling, but it makes it a bit better.


4TH FLOOR LOFT, TWO HOURS LATER

BYRON


I shake my head as the hammering on the door continues. I was hoping if I ignored him, he would go away. But as usual, Mika is using his determination for the wrong fucking purpose. I wrench open the door. “You knocked.” I drawl sarcastically, and once again, it’s lost on him as he pushes past and into my home.


“Where have you been?!” He demands truculently, folding his arms.


“Working.” I retort shortly, heading to the bedroom. Of course, he follows. “I’ve been planning my trip. You know, the one I told you about.”


“You’re going now?” He gasps.


“Problem?” I sigh.


“It’s just that I wanted you to meet the guy that I was telling you about. He’s hot and keen for a good fucking.”


“Then you fuck him… oh wait, you’re a bottom. So the solution to your problem is to have him fuck you to get that itch out of your system, because I don’t want him anywhere near mine. Now I have to finish packing so that I can catch my flight.”


“You’re seriously going now?!” He shrieks.


“Yes.” I grind out and then frown as a sudden thought assails my mind. Breathe. I take a breath and continue to pack. Mika continues to stare at me.


“Byron...” He sighs. “Can’t you go tomorrow or something? I’ve barely seen you and…”


“What do you do for a living?” I demand, pausing in packing.


“I run a comic bookstore, you know that.”


“And what do I do?” I bite out. And again, breathe assails my mind.


“You run Kinnetic.” He grumbles. “What is this? Let’s see whose dick is bigger?”


“The Street knows the answer to that!” I snap and sigh. “Mika, in order for my business to grow, I need to go where the money is and right now that’s Europe. Now I am going on the red eye to France whether you like it or not! Now please go while there is still a friendship to argue over!”


“Fucker! All this disregard, after everything I’ve done for you...” His eyes fill with tears and when he sees it’s not working, he sniffs pathetically. “Can I at least stay here while you’re gone?”


“Mika, I am not leaving you in my loft. Go cry at home!”


“Fine! The next time you need someone to drive you home after you’ve gotten wasted, it won’t be me! I guess I shall see you when you’re back, if I feel like it!” He shouts and storms out, slamming the door hard.


“It never was.” I mutter to myself. “And if that doesn’t happen, such is life.” I finish packing and head to the garage, but something stops me. So I head out and wait to hail a cab.


“Gayopolis Airport please.” I tell him and get in. As we pull out, I spot a car following us and sigh.


“Problem, buddy?” I look up and gape. “Go to sleep Byron, I’ve got you.”


As much as I try and fight, Di wins, as usual!


THOMAS MANSION - FRIDAY MORNING

BYRON’S ROOM

BYRON


I sit bolt upright and look around. Dammit Di! I carp, and get up, pushing her all too familiar cackle out of my head. I head to the bathroom and then downstairs, to find Jules laughing at the TV, waving his feet about.


“What are you doing?”


“You’re awake!” He leaps up concerned. “You were so zoned out last night, I was worried!”


“I’m fine, just a little more tired than I thought.” I reassure him as he tries to push me onto the sofa.


“Are you sure?” He asks sweetly and biting his lip with concern.


“Yes. Actually no. I am hungry.”


“Oh! Come on, I can make you breakfast!” He orders grabbing, my hand and dragging me to the kitchen.


KITCHEN


I just look around and smile as he starts pulling out things to make breakfast. “Isn’t it customary to ask what the guest wants for breakfast?” I ask as I take a seat by the island.


“What do you… oh, I know! A bacon and egg muffin with matoes and cream… no sriracha!”


“Jules...” He turns to me and I raise my eyebrows, then he grins.


“Di told me it’s your soothing breakfast.”


“I don’t do soothing…”


“Byron…”


“Okay, make it then.” I grump.


Thirty minutes later, we are back in the lounge eating the rolls and watching cartoons. When we finish, he rests his head in my lap and I start to stroke his hair. “Blanket.” He mumbles and I pull it down on top of him and soon he’s sleeping. I follow him soon after.


OUTSIDE THOMAS MANSION - FOUR HOURS LATER

CYLO


What the fuck?! What the actual fuck?! My thoughts race when I take in what is in front of me. When the fucking hell did this go on sale?! I look at the boarded up mansion and can’t believe it. So if this is boarded up, where the fuck is Jules?!


I storm back to the car and gun it back to school.


CHARLES DE GAULLE AIRPORT, PARIS - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

BAILEY


Here I come Byron, ready or not! I smile to myself. When Mika told me that Byron was still going to Europe, it was simple enough to find out his travel information. Halo is useful for things like that. I hail a cab and make my way to his hotel. As I settle down for the ride, my mind goes back to Halo. It’s a shame that his parents were killed, but I had to practice my skill on someone. He had said during an argument that he wished they were dead, so I merely granted him that. But lately, there seems to be a distance between us. Whenever I try to reach him, he seems to block me off. I must look into his powers further. Not that I am worried, I am Ice-Tina after all!


Ah, here we are. Time for me to become a mother!


GAYOPOLIS CEMETERY - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

FUNERAL OF THOMAS FAMILY

BYRON


He is doing so well! He’s looking a little pale, but other than that, he’s held himself together. Di and the rest of the gang are also here. He gave a great speech, only breaking down and needing Des when he was talking about his mother. There is a younger man here too and they seem close. I look at Di and she nods, so I relax.


Finally, the service is at an end. “Come on folks, let’s go back to the diner. I’ve got stuff already sorted there.” Di orders gently, and we follow without a word.


DINER - AN HOUR LATER

JULES


“Halo!” I sniff and embrace my cousin. He hugs me back, fiercely. “How are you?!”


“Pretty much the same as you.” He blinks back tears. “Fucking shit! At least, you got a burial though. I... I never even got that.” His shoulders start to shake.


“Hey kiddo… now you come here.” Di comes over and pulls him into her arms. For the first time since his parents’ death, he grieves. “Who is he?” She whispers.


“Halo.” Comes the muffled voice from her bosom. “And I can’t really breathe in here!”


“Oh, sorry sweetheart!” She lets him go and he immediately takes in lungfuls of air. “Halo, you said?” He nods. “How do you know this little cherub?”


“Cherub?!” Halo chuckles. “I’m his cousin. His mom was my mom’s sister.”


“Oh. Where is she?” Debs looks around.


“Dead.” He replies dully.


“Oh, dear God!” Elvis gasps and he scoops him into a booth. “You are nothing but skin and bones. Come, you must eat!” Halo looks bewildered as Elvis whirls round to face me. “And you two, too!” He orders Des and I, and we sit.


Five minutes later, we are groaning as the burgers and fries hit the spot.


“What the fuck, Byron?!” A voice screeches. “You said you were going to Europe!”


Everyone turns to the door where an incredulous Mika is standing there, managing to scowl and gape at the same time.


“This is a private function, Mika. Go away!” Fagin orders him.


“No! I want to speak to Byron!” He yells, advancing further into the diner. “You lied to me! You have never lied to me before…”


“SHUT UP, MIKA! THIS IS A WAKE!” Byron bellows.


“A what?!” He stammers and looks around and starts to go red. “Wh-who died?”


“My business partner’s parents. Remember? He sure as fuck does!” He stalks towards him and grabs his elbow, dragging him outside.


“That guy is such an asshole.” Des mutters.


BYRON


I pace around for a few minutes, knowing that my immediate thought of giving him a slap is a bad idea! “What on earth were you thinking screaming like that?!” I snarl at him.


He folds his arms and stares mutinously at me. “You lied to me!” He snaps back.


“Mika. For. The. Last. Time. I don’t answer to you! I am here to support my new business partner, who is now an orphan. If you can’t be civil, then... Fuck. Off!”


He gapes at me, before his shoulders slump. “You could’ve told me you were back. I’m your…”


“PEST! You are being a fucking pest!” I snap. “He needs us, all of us, at this time. Now what’s it to be?”


“Why does he need us? Why does he need you? Surely he has other people to hold his fucking hand during this sad time?” Mika sneeringly mocks, and I feel a frisson of fear at his hatred for someone he barely knows.


“Go home, Mika.” I glower at him until he heads off down the road. “How have you changed so badly?” I mutter as I head back inside.


The rest of the wake passes without incident, but I can feel a sense of hatred outside the diner.


MIKA’S APARTMENT - AN HOUR LATER

MIKA


Fucking twink! I throw my keys across the room and then myself onto the sofa. Shit! I need to call Bailey! I grab my phone but it goes to voicemail. I leave a message then throw that onto chair opposite.


I never thought I would say this, but I can’t wait for Byron to get the fuck out of Gayopolis! Hopefully, when he’s back from his business trip, he can get back to being what he’s supposed to fucking be, which is my best friend!


HILTON PARIS LA DEFENSE, PARIS - EARLY SATURDAY MORNING

BAILEY


For fuck sake! I pace around the room having spent the last two hours invoking chants, trying to locate Byron, but nothing! And now I know why... he’s back in fucking Gayopolis!


“Calm yourself, Calista! You will have him. He is not due to check out until Wednesday, just be patient. In the meantime, revertere ad me, pulchritudo! (return me to my beauty)” I invoke and once again I am my gorgeous self Calista. “Time to have some fun!”


THOMAS MANSION - SATURDAY AFTERNOON

HALO’S ROOM

HALO


I open my eyes and the first thing I feel is at peace. For the first time in months, I don’t have to put my mind up. I look round the room and chuckle quietly. I get up and pick up the robe Jules left out for me. I pad to the bathroom and then downstairs, coming to a halt. Jules is stretched out sound asleep on the sofa with his head in Byron’s lap and his feet on Des’ lap.


“How’s he doing?” I whisper as I approach. Des indicates I should take her place, and when I do, she runs upstairs. Byron and I exchange grins. “How long has she been sitting there?”


“About two hours.” He replies quietly. I don’t comment on the fact that he and Jules are holding hands and he’s stroking his palm. “Sorry about your folks.”


“Thanks. Still can’t believe almost the same thing happened to Jules.”


“How did…?”


“Car exploded. They were incinerated.” I reply quietly. “Nothing left.” We don’t say anything for a while. “Can I ask you a question?” He nods. “You going to take care of him? I know about the family business thing but judging by that…” I nod at their hands. “You both feel something else.” I expect him to let go but he doesn’t, and that makes me feel better. “I’ll leave him with you.”


BYRON - TWO HOURS LATER


I have a problem! I have discovered that Jules nuzzles in his sleep, which would be great if he hadn’t turned around and was nuzzling my crotch! I tremble as I try to shift him back a bit so I can make a bit of room and calm down! But every time I move him backwards, he moves right back where he was, like a dick-seeking-missile!


“Oh for the love of God!” I groan as he burrows in deeper...and then I catch a flash of blue. The mischievous little shit is awake!


“Hi!” He grins impishly at me.


“Hi.” I manage to gasp out as I shove him upright. “That was…”


“Good?” He looks innocently at me, his eyes dancing.


“Naughty!” I admonish, and start to think of lady parts.


“Not going to work.” He smirks and he blinks at me.


“You have a dark streak a mile wide!” I growl and haul him into my lap. He giggles as I tickle him. He’s then screaming with laughter and begging me to stop, but I have no intention of doing so. In his squirming, we end up face to face and suddenly, he stops giggling. And his eyes smoke over. “Okay. Jules, seriously, I am going to let you go now. It would be a good idea if you get up, or I will kiss you.”


He doesn’t move.


“Jules, please?” I beg even as my hand goes into his soft hair.


He brushes my lips with trembling fingers.


“D-don’t…” I whisper as I lower my head, and then all is forgotten when he meets me halfway.


At first, it is just us pressing our lips together, but then his tongue comes out and tentatively touches my lips. And that is it for me! I give him access, and he is squirming around in my arms so that he is straddling me. Now would be good! Now would be good! I am screaming out for help. But none is forthcoming. As his tongue touches mine, I feel like I have popping candy in my mouth, tiny sweet explosions occurring everywhere his tongue touches.


The only sound that is heard is our breathing as the kissing intensifies. I don’t know how long we were kissing before he groans into my mouth and starts to rut against me… seriously some fucking help here!


He needs this… and so do you!


I give in and let him do what he needs to do, until he’s whimpering into my neck and I am straining for release. “By-Byron...oh!”


“Jules!” I cry out and we collapse back against the sofa.


DINER

DI


Touchdown!


“What are you smiling about?” Mika grumbles.


“Football.” I tell him.


JUNIPER ACADEMY - MONDAY MORNING

HEADMASTER DUFFY’S OFFICE

HEADMASTER DUFFY


Although I shouldn’t feel relief that they want to test out early, I do. While they are two of the smartest students, they are also two of the most outspoken. And here at Juniper, we prefer silence and studiousness.


“Fine. We will arrange for the tests on Thursday.”


“Thank you.” Destiny smiles thinly. “We will be out of your hair soon enough.”


When they stand up and leave, I heave a sigh of relief as the door closes.


LOCKERS

DES


I look across at Jules as he starts to empty his locker. He’s grinning, but there is something else.


“What’s up with you?” I ask him as he smiles to himself.


“Nothing.” He mutters, wiping the smile off his face.


“Bullshit.” I stand in front of him. “Something has happened. Give.”


“Nothing.” He repeats, continuing to empty his locker. I tap him on the shoulder and keep tapping. “Ouch. Jeez, alright!” He grumbles rubbing his shoulder. “We kissed and we....”


“What?!” I gasp.


“No, not that!” He blushes. “But we… um… dry humped…”


“You did!” She gasps. “You devil! So what was it like with Byron…”


“What was what like with Byron?!” I close my eyes as I hear the anger in Cylo’s voice.


“It is none of your business what Jules does with his boyfriend, Cylo. After all, you’re all about the pussy, or aren’t you?!”


He glares at me and looks up the corridor before stepping towards me. “You know, I have always wanted to do this!” He hisses, and before I can defend myself he has stabbed me twice in the stomach and I slump to the floor.


HALO


“DES!” I feel rather than hear Jules scream and start running. As I come round the corner, I see Jules trying to shield Des from the frenetic stabbing of Cylo, and he stabs him about four or five times. But still, Jules shields her.


“Salutem! (safety)” I incant, and they are gone.


Cylo is looking confused by their disappearance and during this confusion, I see… I see what he has done, and who he has done it for


THOMAS MANSION BASEMENT - TWO HOURS LATER

DI


I look at their bodies and clean them gently. I hear the thunder of steps and I know it is Byron.


“What the fuck happened?!” He sobs as he strokes Jules’s hair.


“Cylo happened.” Halo tells him. “Cylo and Calista. She killed my parents! And he killed Jules’ parents and now he has killed him and Des, partially on her order!” He stands. “I will fucking kill her!”


“No, you won’t!” Master barks, and with a flick of his wrist, Halo crumples to the floor. “He will be fine.” He turns to Byron, who is weeping unashamedly. “Do you want to save them?”


“He’s gone! She’s gone! They were so young!” He sobs.


“That’s not what I asked. I asked, do you want to save them?”


“Byron…” I put my hand on his shoulder.


“He killed innocents. Pure innocents and only the love, whatever that love may be, can save them. Now do you want to save them?”


“Yes! Of course, I do!” He sobs.


“Then look at Des and repeat after me. Amicus meus terrenum redire!” (My friend, return to earth)


“Amicus meus terrenum redire!”


At first nothing happens. Byron and I are waiting with the air hitched in our throats. Then slowly the wounds on her stomach start to heal. He whirls round to Master and gasps. “Vic!”



“Uncle Vic, if you please!” He smiles at him. “Now go to Jules and repeat after me; verus amor meo reditu ad terram. (My true love, return to earth).


“Verus amor meo reditu ad terram! Please Jules, please!”

 

“It will take time for them to come back. But come back, they will.” He smiles. “Nunc autem requiem (but now rest).” Byron slumps to the floor in stasis. Invoking chanting, he lifts both Halo and Byron up alongside Jules and Des. “You go back, I will guard them. In the meantime, gather the rest of them together… it is time.”