- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter written by: MissMerlot 

 

CHAPTER 6 - RECOVERY IS A FRIEND OF MINE

THE UNDERGROUND - WEDNESDAY EVENING

CYLO


I still feel off. Everything seems to be normal at school; the only thing is that Jules and Des aren’t there. I have been back to the mansion a couple of times and it’s still boarded up and for sale. The other thing is that there is no Halo.


“He still not back?” I ask around, and people shake their heads. “Where is he?!” I snap.


“He’s recently lost his folks and his aunt and uncle. It’s a lot of shit to deal with.” Cody calls out.


“Relatives are overrated!” I growl. “And where’s Calista?”


“Europe.”


“Seriously, still?!” I seethe.


“Dude, what’s the big deal? They’ll be back soon enough.” Cody replies, bumping my shoulder. “So what about this Jules guy? You close to getting him where you want… moaning and whimpering under you?”


“Shut up!” I hiss, dragging him off to one corner. “Look! You said you wouldn't mention that to anybody! I was buzzed when I told you that!”


“Calm yourself. And take your hand off me.” Cody growls and I do so. “Better. Now what's this fretfulness about?”


“I had a really intense dream that I killed Des and Jules. Well, I think it was a dream, but it seemed so real.”


He frowns and then laughs. “You almost had me then!”


“No, I’m serious! I was at school and they were by the lockers and Des got in my face again. Then I stabbed her, Jules tried to stop me and I ended up stabbing him too, but then I was alone in the corridor and they’ve not been seen since.”


“With me.” He orders, and I follow him to his room. “Give me the knife!”


He holds it to the light and looks at it carefully. “You sure you used this?” I nod emphatically. “You were wearing those clothes?”


“Dude, it's bad enough that I go there. Having more than one uniform is…”


“True dat!” He snickers. “Cylo, there is no blood on you or the knife. If you had killed them at school, it would be all over the news! Use your head to think sometimes, not fantasise! Now come on! Your object of lustfuck will be back soon enough.”


BASEMENT, THOMAS MANSION - SAME TIME

VIC, THE MASTER


I smile to myself. Oh yes, he will be back, but not as you know it! I look across at my charges and sigh. Of all of them, Byron is the one fighting the hardest to reawaken, and I smile at the reason why. No matter how many times I move Jules away, he drifts back to Byron and the same with Halo for Des, but his is less intense. I move him back and he stays put for a while.


“Master?” Di’s presence is no surprise “I think… no, I know you were right.”


I say nothing. She’s got to admit this to herself out loud.


“I can still read you, you know. You may be…”


“Your teacher and Master, but you are still my big sister?” I quip, and we laugh at the oft-repeated mantra.


“Yeah, that. But you were right not to let him have his powers. Mika, I mean. But what I don't get is why you gave them to Byron. He is already…”


“A fire magi, yes, but he needed balancing. His parents upset the applecart, as it were, having him and for him to survive…”


“You need to…” She nods at Jules as once again, he drifts. “That boy is determined. You gotta give him that. He’s like a moth to Byron’s flame. I’ve never seen a connection so strong from the onset! ” She laughs as I flick him back again.


“Yeah. That bears watching closely. If for no other reason, it will be entertaining. But what made you bring Mika up?”


“He’s been bitching and moaning in the diner. He keeps trying to call Byron and of course...”


“Hmmm.” I pause as this time, Byron drifts. “Oh no, you don't. Now listen! You all need time to heal both physically and mentally. So stay where I put you or I put you all in separate rooms. You can't go through walls!” I order, almost sternly. “Rest now!”


Byron drifts back and he stops fighting.


“And stop pouting, Jules.” I chuckle as the disgruntled moue slips from his lips as he goes back to stasis.


“About Mika…” Di sighs. “He’s getting, if it were possible, worse.”


“That’s why.” I tell her and she frowns. “That’s also why I gave those powers to Byron. He needed them to be able to resist Mika. He would have been able to compel Byron if he had his powers. Not only that, but Mika is proving to be sneaky, and as reckless and rebellious as I always thought he would be. He would have been too powerful for Byron to resist emotionally, when they were so young. Besides Byron needed to follow his path to…”


“His one true love?” She raises an eyebrow. “You little trickster.”


“I didn't trick. I merely med… helped, things along a little. Just like you and the sofa.”


“Moi?”


“You lowered his resistance to Jules just a tad, no?” She grins. “Now when are they coming?” I demand now, focusing on the soon to be battle at hand. “We have to keep them here until the 14th. If she can sense him, she will be back quickly. Too much is hanging in the balance.”


“The gang have agreed to come over for 12:00 on Saturday. Will they be healed by…?” She trails off in the face of my offended glare. “Apologies.”


“As you should.”


HILTON LA DEFENSE PARIS - THURSDAY MORNING

BAILEY


As I check out, I cannot understand why I haven’t seen or felt Byron. Halo has not returned my calls either. As I settle the bill, I slide my shades on and head to the airport. Next stop, Italy!


DINER - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

MIKA


Finally, I have caught up with one of them! Fagin is sitting in the back booth. I plonk down in front of him but he just continues to read the paper and sip his coffee.


“Fagin.” I tap the page he is reading and he looks up and sighs. “Where’s Byron?”


“Italy.” He replies, and goes back to reading.


“Where in Italy?” I demand, and ignore the glare from Ma.


“Italy, Italy.” He retorts.


“Byron is....”


“Busy working and in Italy.” He interrupts, and drains his cup, then stands and gathers his things.


“Where are you going?!” I demand as my temper rises. He’s taken to walking away from me more and more. Well that shit stops now!


“To work, where you should also be.” He bites out. “While Byron is away, we are in charge of Kinnetic and it helps, oh so much, if I am there to help Cynthia!”


“You’re being sarcastic! I can tell!” I snap.


This you can tell? Now just catch up with all the other things you’re supposed to tell and Gayopolis will be a happier place!”


I follow as Fagin strides out of the diner and catch the roll of Ma’s eyes, but ignore her calls for me to come back.


I catch up easily with Fagin and grab his arm. “Now you listen to me! I want to know where in Italy Byron is and…”


“If he wanted you to know then he would’ve told you! As it is, you don’t even know what flight he’s coming back on…” He looks around before stepping closer to me, pushing me into a dark alley. “I will not be touched or spoken to like that by you ever again. Like Byron, my patience with you is at an end!”


I step back a bit in shock. He’s never stepped up to me like that before!


FAGIN


One more word...Oh please, let him say one more word, and I swear I will break every bone in his mouth and throat! I am normally not a violent man, but Mika has a tendency to make me wish I acted on impulse. And right now, that impulse is screaming at me to kill him. Ever since the funeral, Mika has been trying to hunt Byron down. Consequently, it also extended to comments about his budding friendship with Jules. It had gotten so bad, that I had began avoiding the Diner, until today. It just kills him that he isn’t privy to all the goings-on in Byron’s life, or having a way to pin him down. Well tough shit! I’m not giving him anything unless it’s a good swift kick in the ass for being an unmitigated jackass!


For the last half an hour, Di had been invading my brain to get to Kinnetic posthaste. But instead of answering her when I should have, I am now stuck here with the human pestilence, otherwise known- to himself, at least- as Byron’s best friend. Had the nimrod been more observant, he would have realized that that hasn’t been the case for more than half their lives. I swear, I have to get away from him now before the road to hell will be paved with Mika, instead of good intentions!


After I repeat my warning low in his ear, I turn and leave him in the alley I dragged him into, before a police chalk outline is warranted.


MIKA

 

As he walks away, I take a shaky breath. But then when he’s gotten far enough ahead, I start to follow.


ELVIS


Oh I am fit to be fucking tied! I watched Mika harangue Fagin, and my head starts to pound and suddenly I say “Fagin...ut fugeret duplicatam (time to escape and duplicate)!” And the headache and anger is gone.


KINNETIC - SECONDS LATER

FAGIN’S OFFICE

FAGIN


What the fuck?! How the hell did I get back here so quickly?! I look around and see the reports neatly piled and completed and also a cup of coffee, steaming hot. I scramble up and go to find Cynthia.


“Hey, you ready?” She smiles at me, and then her face falls. “You okay?”


“What time is it?” I look around.


“Three. We’ve got BioRight in ten minutes.” I frown. “Fagin, seriously, are you okay?”


“Ten minutes? Have I been in the office all this time?”


“Yeah, you were working on the reports.”


“Has Mika been here?”


“Mika? God, no!” She gives me a shake and I give her a small smile. “Now come on! Let’s go sign them. By the way, have you heard from Byron?”


“No, but I’m not surprised. All those men and being Mika free can keep a horny boy busy!”


MIKA


Seriously, where the fuck is Fagin going? He’s going all over the damn city! I am exhausted but I know, I just know he knows where Byron is! And I shall keep following him until I fucking find out!


CYLO’S RESIDENCE - FRIDAY EVENING

LOUNGE

CYLO


All the boys from The Underground are here. My parents, such as they are, are out carousing somewhere. But again, no Halo.


“Anything in the news?” Cody teases me and I scowl.


“Okay people, let’s party!” I shout, and start to raid their drinks cabinet, finally reassured that I didn’t do what I think I did.


BASEMENT, THOMAS MANSION - SATURDAY LUNCH TIME

DI


Silence, complete silence. Not through anything that I have said, but because of what they are staring at.


“What happened?” Fagin approaches Byron quietly and looks at me. I nod that he can touch him. “Oh thank god, he’s warm!”


“They are just in stasis… as in sleeping.” They all whirl around at Vic’s voice and gape. “Hello everyone!” He chuckles before turning to Cynthia. “My name is Vic, and you are Cynthia. Nice to meet you.”


“How did…?” She begins.


“I know everything about you. Now don’t panic and sit down.”


“Vic, it is you, right?” Elvis stammers.


“Yes it is me, Elvis.”


“Again, what happened?” Fagin demands.


“Jules and Des were killed. But Byron brought them back, with my help of course. He’s not quite strong enough... yet.”


K-killed?” Faye stutters. “Str-strong en…”


“You all have powers.” Vic interrupts. He always goes for the rip off the bandage approach!


“Powers?” Cynthia looks around, and they are all confused.


“Was it you?” Elvis asks, grinning. “Did you put the words…”


“Oh yes, I did enjoy that one!” Vic laughs. “And Fagin that was me, too! But Elvis you did the rest, nicely done!”


“The office? You put me back?” He goes to sit back down, but still keeps his eyes on Byron. Vic was right. Fagin is his true best friend.


“So who or what is Mika following now?” Elvis laughs.


“What you created.” He smiles.


“A doppleganger that only Mika can see? I did that?!” He looks so proud. “But how?”


“You were so angry that you just did it. But only after I cleared your mind to allow your first proper powertrip. You have the power of confusion and sleight of hand.” Vic smiles. “You can create images, but more importantly, you can keep those you want enchanted, for lack of a better word, holding on to those images. Well, until you decide to take them away.”


“Yeah right.” Fagin scoffs.


“Show them Fagin’s home.” Vic orders. “Just take your time and concentrate on his home and them.”


“What the fuck?!” Fagin gasps, as he sees Mika, looking through the windows round the back of his house. “Get the fuck away from there!” He shouts, throwing up his hands, and suddenly Mika flies backwards.


“And that’s your power, Fagin!” I laugh. “Your power lies in the darkness. Being in the dark is where you get your strength, which means you can also create objects to open or obstruct.”


“Great…” He mutters, crossly.


“Didn’t you see what you did?!” Faye gasps. “You threw Mika across the garden, but you were right here! How did we get these powers though?”


“Everyone is born with a power. But you are only gifted them by your parents when you are old enough and worthy of them.” Di replies, sighing sadly.


“You mean Mika has powers, too?!” Elvis gasps.


“No. He doesn’t.” I reply. “Vic refused - rightly in hindsight - to allow me to gift them to him, but they had to go somewhere. So…”


“Byron has them.” Vic interrupts. “As…”


“Protection against Mika.” Cynthia declares, and then claps her hand over her mouth. “How do I know that?”


“Because you are the guardian of the group, especially Byron. You, like Jules, are in his psyche. You can, well you all can sense danger... but Cynthia has the ability to read the power of your enemies and....” Her shoulders slump in disappointment, and he smiles.


“Oh, I was hoping for something a bit more kick ass than that!”


“Look at Elvis and and beckon.” He orders. She does as she’s bid and immediately the image of the house is gone! “And the ability to take it away. So use it carefully. Now give it back!”


“How?” She frowns.


“Say ‘reditus’ (return).” He tells her.


“Reditus.” She repeats and the room is filled with the image again.


“What’s mine?!” Faye demands.


“Now you my darling Faye, you are going to like this. Because you can shape shift and bend light to your will.”


“Shit! Oh fuck, really?!” She squeals.


“Aww.” Elvis pouts.


“But...only to one of the others…”


“Uh, Master.” I prompt, and he turns around and smiles.

 

“Ah, they are healed.” He tells them and there is silence as Byron, Jules, Des, and Halo start to wake up.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks