- Text Size +

CHAPTER 9 - NAMING, TRANSFORMATIONS AND HOMECOMING

 

UNDERGROUND CLUB - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

CYLO


I look across at my family, well, my chosen family, and sigh in relief. That unsettling feeling has definitely gone and Cody has stopped ripping the piss out of me.


“Hi Cy.” I look up and find myself staring at my bestie, Igor. He’s harmless enough, definitely not as combative as Cody can be. It’s always nice to have someone who worships the air you breathe… and who is always happy to give a guy relief… on the downlow.


“Hey Iggy.” I say, and move my jacket as he sits down next to me. “What have you been up to?”


“This and that. What about you?”


“Same ole, same ole.” I lean back and watch him for a few minutes, then get up. “Wanna play?” I hold my hand out and am surprised when he shakes his head. “Why not?”


“The last time we played, you shouted somebody else’s name. So who is Jules?” He demands.


“He’s just some guy I know. Nobody you need to worry about. So come on…” I wheedle.


“No. I’ve got to play with something else.” He says and grabs his violin, sauntering off.


“If he wasn’t so good at head, I would end him!” I hiss, and adjust my cock discreetly.


“What’s up? Your plaything fed up with playing second fiddle to your lustfuck?” Cody sneers.


“What is your problem with me and Igor doing what we do sometimes?” I roll my eyes, but keep my voice low.


“Because it’s not fair on him!” He snaps. For some reason, he has a soft spot for Igor. “He wants more than you’re prepared to give without having your lustfuck first!”


“Look, there is only so much of you… ow!” I yelp as he rabbit punches me in the ribs.


“Let me help you to sit down…” He waves away the looks of concern. Once he’s sure nobody is paying us any attention, he lowers his head so that only I can hear him. “...remember Cylo, I am not Igor. He will be back again, despite your behaviour. I, on the other hand, have no problem correcting your shit when it needs to be. Do we understand each other?!” I nod and feel the pain in my ribs starting to ease. “Good.” He gets up and leaves me to get myself together.


CODY


I head to my room and feel Cylo’s feeble attempt to hit me back. He is not as strong as he thinks. If it wasn’t for me helping him out sometimes, he wouldn’t be the cock of the walk he thinks he is. When he decided to take out Jules’s parents, he was all for killing them himself. But I planted the idea of the drunk driver in his head; he’s too rash! A case in point, if it is true, is the stabbing of Jules and Des. If he has done it, then he’d best get into necrophilia real quick!


MONTE CARLO AIRPORT - TUESDAY MORNING

CALISTA


I am trying to reach Halo, because without his expertise in IT skills, it is proving very difficult to find Byron. I have to find a quiet corner and call Cody.


“Cody, it’s Calista. Where is Halo? I need to… What do you mean you haven’t seen him in a week? Why wasn’t I told? What is going on over there?... Never mind, I will find out when I come back. But right now, I need you to try and locate the flight information for Byron Kent... No, I will wait.” For what seems like ages, I can hear him tapping away. “Well?” I demand.


“Byron Kent is booked into Le Meridien Beach Plaza Monte, but that’s all I can find. I don’t have the skills of H. And I have to admit that I’m a bit worried, but not surprised, that he’s not come back.”


“What do you mean?”


“Well his uncle, aunt, and cousin were killed in a drink driving accident.”


“Oh.” I feel an atom sized pinch of sympathy. “So soon after his parents too. Well, he’ll come back when he’s ready. Thanks for that, Cody. I will see you at the end of the week.”


I hang up and make my way to the hotel.


THOMAS MANSION - TUESDAY AFTERNOON

HALO


Under Vic’s careful instruction, I set about pointing Calista in the wrong direction and enjoyed every keystroke!


“Now come on. Let’s get back to training!” He orders, and I follow him back down to the basement. We have been training non stop since dawn on Monday. He puts us in stasis so we can fully restore.


“Okay now Elvis, you need to be more precise with your thought process. Try the stars again.” Vic orders and this time, he hits the mark.


“Oh for fuck sake!” Faye yells, as again, she misses the mark with her small dagger, and it almost hits Byron.


Suddenly, we are all immediately surrounded by a dome of light.


“What the hell?!” Fagin gasps.


“Wow…!” Des looks round and reaches out to touch it, but it immediately turns to stone.


“Now you, Elvis!” Di calls out, and it turns to whirling mist as he touches it.


Nobody else needed to be told, as one by one they touch the light and it changes to their element. But when I try, she stops me. “All of you together!” Di orders and when they do, we’re suddenly underground… as in below the basement!


“Vic?” Di turns to him and he looks astonished. “Vic?!”


“Sssh!” Vic retorts, frowning at us all. “It’s too soon, surely! Surely?!” He mutters. “When you touched the dome and it changed to your element, what did you think? Just fire out your answers, what did you think?”


“I was… was scared. I didn’t understand why it changed to my element.” Jules is the first to speak. “What about you guys?” There are nods and murmurs of yes.


“And when Di told you to touch together, what were your thoughts?”


“That it would disappear and we could get out of there. But I couldn’t push through.” Des replies and again, there’s nodding and murmuring among them.


“So you wanted to get out?” Di replies, looking around for confirmation and getting nods. “I understand, but don’t you see? The dome is protecting you… well not that dome. Cynthia is protecting you. Okay, can you return us please?”


We’re back in the basement and the dome is gone.


“Cynthia did this?” Byron breathes. “Why? We would never hurt each other.”


Vic chuckles. “No, but the dagger was coming at you and she panic-power-tripped and hence the dome. Her aim, like yours Faye, is a little off! But in answer to your thought of question, yes Di, they are one already. They are bound together… their faith and support of each other is absolute and unbreakable.”


I sigh and blink back the tears. I feel like such an outsider.


“Halo, you are part of them too.” Vic says, as he stops me from leaving. “The reason Di didn’t want you to touch the dome is because you would’ve been overwhelmed by the power. You and Jules are still grieving, but you more than him. You have been betrayed in the most horrible way, by people you thought were your friends and confidants. Your element is there and you are bound to them, but you still need to heal. Do you understand?” I nod and give him a small smile. “Right. Now back to training!”


DINER - THURSDAY LATE AFTERNOON

MIKA


God, I am so fucking bored! The store has been quieter than normal as has the diner, while Ma has disappeared out of state. But at least I have an idea of where she is. She’s attending a PFLAG committee thing or some such shit in Portland. I decide that I might as well be bored and get fed, so here I am with a pile of comics, and as there is no Kira, I am using the new girl’s newness to my advantage! I look up as the bell rings and am surprised to see Cynthia come in. She never comes in here! She looks tense, so I sidle up to her. “Hi, Cynthia. What are you doing round this side of town?”


“Getting lunch for Fagin. He’s beyond busy, with Byron being away.” She clips out.


“I thought you would be, too. I mean, with you being his right hand woman and all...” I snark and snicker.


“And I see that you are exactly where we expected you to be. Doing nothing for no one and going nowhere.” She bites back. “Can you have that delivered please?” She tells the server and stalks out.


CYNTHIA


As I head up the road, I have a thought and cast my mind back to the diner. I’m unsurprised to see Mika talking to the server. But before I can stop her, she gives him the delivery address and he offers to deliver it for her. Fuck!


Fear not.


“Thanks!” I grin as Vic gives me a mental hug!


THE UNDERGROUND - AN HOUR LATER

MIKA


I look around and can’t understand why she would want it delivered here. I knock on the door and wait. I can hear scurrying around, but nobody comes to open it. “I have your food order from the diner!” I yell, and bang harder on the door. “Byron, if you are in there, get out here!” I demand, but still nothing. “Fine, you dumb fuckers!” I dump the bags on the ground and stomp on them. “Happy eating!” I laugh, and head back to the diner.


THOMAS MANSION

DI


I slap my head in despair at his petulance. How have I never seen this before? Vic gives my hand a squeeze. “Okay, so why send him there?”


“Because that’s where he is going to be living when she returns. I have decided.” Vic replies.


“They’ll kill him!” Byron exclaims.


“No, but they will make his life the misery he has made others. But for them, killing him won’t be possible; I gave Di my word.”


“Okay, so we now need to organize some online shopping. We’ll get it delivered to Des’s house and then go and get it.” I decree.


“But how? Cylo sometimes still comes around. I can feel him.” Des growls.


“We’ve been thinking about that. All of you come with me.” Vic orders. He leads us to the back of the basement and down some stairs.


“Where did these stairs come from?” Jules asks.


“Being a master Magi with friends has its advantages, you know.” Vic chuckles as he opens the door. “While you have been in stasis, I have been a bit busy. I got the idea after the dome incident.” We are all stunned. A tunnel… an actual tunnel… has been made! “Currently, it only joins to Des’s home, but soon it will connect to all your homes, to Kinnetic, and to our other places of business. So there is no longer a need to worry about being where you need to be when you need to be there. Now back to training!”


Even though they all groan inside, they head back to training. They are well advanced now. I am very happy, very happy indeed!


LOUNGE - LATE EVENING

VIC


I look around to my wonderful charges and smile. I am so proud of them, especially Halo! He’s working so hard, and being around the others is helping him to heal emotionally, every second of the day. So now it is time; time for them to have their names. “Right everyone, before you go into stasis, it gives me great pleasure to tell you your battle names…”


“Battle names?” Jules echoes.


“Yes. You are the Guardians of Gayopolis and your leader, unsurprisingly, is Byron, who, when he is in battle mode, will be Rage. His second in command is Fagin, who is Shadow. Cynthia, as you know, is Cyren. Elvis you are Ever. Faye you are Diva Determinee. Des, you are Deadeye. Jules you are JT…”


“Really, my initials?” He grumbles.


“You are Jules Thomas, not Justice Time, I believe.” Vic smirks.


“Oh! That sounds cool.” He grins.


“You will be joined by other members as we see fit. You will meet Doc and Brains next week as you need to go back to your public lives starting tomorrow. And…”


“Wait, what about Halo?” Jules interrupts and I smile. This is why he is called Justice. “What’s his name?”


“I guess I don’t have one.” He mutters.


“He does, and you know what it is, Jules.” He frowns. “Think carefully, deep down you know his name. You remember it, don’t you?”


“Nunchaku.” Jules calls him, and Halo looks astonished. “Nunchaku! I used to call you that when we were younger. You used to be obsessed with Bruce Lee movies and his nun thingies!”


“Nunchucks, twat.” Byron chuckles, earning him a poked out tongue.


“I had forgotten that.” Halo smiles; his first genuine one in a while.


“It was his mother that gave him the name.” I smile. “It means weapon, and you would always try and protect her from the embarrassment of being an unwed mother, simply by being cute and adorable. The upper class society she lived in back then was unforgiving, but now he gets to live up to his name.”


“I have a question.” Faye frowns. “Mika’s power that Byron inherited... what is it?”


“Persuasion.” I reply, and as one everyone looks at Byron, who looks confused. “Which he has never used. Byron really is that hot!”


“Of course he is!” Elvis snickers.


“And he is also just that brilliant! So saying, Byron will know when and where to use that particular power. As we all know, Mika would have abused it, which is why he wasn't allowed to develop it fully.”


“What do you mean?” Elvis asks.


“I mean, currently, how does Mika get you all to do what he wants?”


“My guess as an outsider observing the dynamic, would be he does it by being petulant and seeming needy or helpless, when in reality he’s conniving and exceptionally strong-willed.” Jules states, and I have to admit that I am proud of him. In a short time, he’s discerned the true nature of Mika, not what the latter presents to the world.


“You are correct, Jules. For years, Mika has schemed and manipulated using all those tools. He would badger each of them until he got what he wanted, but then get angry because it didn’t happen the way he envisioned. It’s why I gave Byron his powers. Mika’s natural tendency towards inappropriate responses to strife was another determining factor. He would have used the power to enslave Byron, Elvis, and Fagin, while destroying anything that stood in his way for the complete attention he craves. In this case that would be you, Des, Faye, Cyren, Thomas Electronics, and Kinnetic.”


“Why me?” Faye asks.


“Besides being Fagin’s twin, it’s also because you have the ability to see through him and his motives. How many times have you and Fagin stopped Byron from giving Mika money? It would have only been used to buy more toys and comics, porn, dates- such as they are on Rent-a-Trick.com, or partying, instead of building up his business.”


I see her forehead wrinkle. “Every time he asked for a loan, I would suggest that Byron put it in a contract for a loan repayment schedule, which is standard business practice.”


“Yes, but it isn’t Mika Business Practice, is it?”


“No, it isn’t. And between Cynthia and I, we have been keeping Mika from taking advantage of Byron. Since Fagin controls the purse strings with Byron’s permission, he knew if we said no, it wouldn’t happen. Am I right?”


“You are, and that’s why he would have wanted you two removed from Byron’s life posthaste. If he had his powers, he would have achieved exactly that. With you both out of the way, he would have had a direct, unobstructed route to Byron and his bank account. You all protect Byron, in ways that Mika doesn't like or understand. And now that there are others who will do the same, he’s going to be even more petulant and determined.”  


“But why now? Our names, I mean... why give us them now?” Byron asks, and then pauses. “Mika is a non-factor for now, which means she’s coming back, isn’t she?”


“Yes. And the moment she does, she gets her welcome home surprise!”


CALISTA’S ESTATE - SUNDAY EVENING

CALISTA


I am harnessing every ounce of my strength to stop myself from harming Mika! I have traipsed all over Europe, following everything he said, and could not find Byron. But now that I am back in Gayopolis, I know why. It’s because he’s fucking here, and has been this whole time! The moment I landed, I felt him… but still I can't fucking find him! I need to find him, as my time for conception is growing short.


I grab my phone and head upstairs. “Cylo! Cylo, is that you? You sound odd. No matter. Gather everyone and come to my estate immediately!”


My estate. I smile to myself. Although the trip to Europe was fruitless, I have decided that our child should be birthed and raised in the right environment. So I bought a beautiful hilltop estate. I am taking my time with the nursery; it has to be just right.


Twenty minutes later, I sense Cylo and his friends and unlatch the front door. “I’ll meet you in the lounge!” I call down, but get no response. Something is off. I frown and head downstairs, then when I come into the lounge, I freeze before screaming, “What the fuck has happened to all of you?!” I back away as they frown at me. “Look at yourselves!” I yell, and point to the mirror.


CYLO


What the actual fucking fuck! I think as I look at myself. Gone is handsome man I was before, and now there’s this… this....!



“What have you done?!” I shout, looking around then blanch as I see Cody with two jaws, and Igor is now this mangled, clawed... thing!





As I step to the mirror, I am suddenly pulled into the darkness, and no matter what I try to do, I can’t step out of it. “What is happening?!” I shout, and then my head starts to pound. I drop to the floor and then I start to scream. I can hear Cody shouting my name, but I can’t stop the image assailing my mind. I am stabbing Jules! “Noooooo!” I bellow and then look down… the knife is in my hand and I am covered in blood… Jules’s blood!


CALISTA

 

I am trying to get out of the room! Where have these... things come from?! The more I try to get out, the more I hear the litany in my head. Welcome home Ice-Tina, welcome home!  It just keeps repeating, over and over. Chanting louder and louder inside my head.