- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Written by MissMerlot 

 

CHAPTER 10 - TRANSFORMATIONS, REVELATIONS AND A GOLDFISH BOWL


THOMAS MANSION - MORNING, DAY 8

BYRON’S ROOM

BYRON


Fuck me. I feel like I’ve run 28 marathons in 5 minutes, but my body is looking fierce. Very fierce indeed! We were supposed to stay at our own places last night, but we were summoned back and told to take the day off. Before we headed to bed, Vic said that we were to make our rooms our own, so we are going to be ordering a shit load of stuff today! We also weren’t put in stasis. I taste my morning breath and wince, so I head to the bathroom.


I have to admit, I like it here at the Thomas Mansion. We all have our own bathrooms and the lounge and kitchen area seems bigger. I suspect Vic’s powers have been at play there. I load up my toothbrush before using the mouthwash. I spit it out and reach for the floss in the cabinet and promptly knock the brush to the floor. “Fuck.” I mutter and rinse it off before reloading it and start to brush my teeth and then stop. And stare. “VIC! DI!” I shout, round a mouthful of toothpaste, frozen to the spot.


“Good morning, Rage.” Di laughs, and I slowly turn to face her. “Well now, don’t you scrub up nice?!”


“Rage?” I hold up my hand and spit in the sink before rinsing my mouth out and looking at myself again the mirror. “Fuck me, I look hot! Does everyone…”


“OH MY GOD, WHAT THE FUCK HAS HAPPENED?!” I hear Fagin shout.


“What do you think?” She chuckles, and pulls me out into the hallway. “Fagin, come out here!”


“No!” He yells.


“Why not?!” I call out.


“I look hot and I don’t want to move, in case I never see this again!”


“Get out here, you idiot!” Di laughs.


Fagin comes out pulling at the open neckline. “Seriously I look hot, right? I’m not imagining… holy fuck, Byron! Come on now! How is that fair?!”


“Everyone come out and meet your Guardian transformations!” Vic orders.


Slowly the doors open and they start to come out. “Jesus fuck, Faye!” Fagin gapes.


“I know right?!” She cries out gleefully, twirling around. “Check out these abs!”


“Okay people, enough cruising the lesbian! Look at me!” Elvis cries out.


“Very dapper!” Di laughs.


“Oh my God!” I breathe. “What day is it?” I mutter at Di as Jules comes into view.


“Day 8.” She mutters back. “You can do this!” She pats my hand. I’m not so sure as I catch my tongue between my teeth.


“You, uh, look so um, different.” Jules blushes, as we appraise each other. I could actually feel his breath quicken as he looked at me. “What day again?”


“Eight. Wait a second your eyes are a different colour! They look violet. Vic is that normal?”


“Yes Byron, the adrenaline rush of being battle ready can sometimes manifest itself in a change of eye colour or heightened hearing. For Jules, it’s his eye colour, since he already had the latter. It also changes when he’s...um...well…”


“Turned on?” I supply and he nods. “Okay, got it…!”


“Holy cow! Des, you look awesome!” Di grins and Jules turns to look at her.


“Okay, so Des darling, you look hot! I’d fuck you.” I tell her, placing a kiss on her cheek as she blushes. It’s an adorable expression that I never in a million years would think to see on her. But as usual, she’s all fire.


“I’d let you and have you sucking on your thumb, calling for your mama. But I doubt Jules would share you.” She giggles.


“Now that the admiration show is over, I have given you each the ability to be battle ready wherever you are. Be it here or outside. You need to say para bellum (prepare me for battle) and you will transform into who you are now. Do you understand?” We all nod. “Okay you all, to the training room!” Di demands with a sparkle in her eyes.


When we get there, both Cynthia and Halo are there, but they don’t look any different.


“Why not?” Halo’s voice is again, laced with disappointment as he sees us as our other selves.


“Because you two… well definitely Cynthia, at least… will not be going into battle.” Vic advises. “You will always remain here or at Kinnetic. Wait, let me finish. Cynthia you cannot protect them during battle while you yourself are fighting. And Halo you are too valuable a member of this group to go into battle. Ice-Tina will soon work out who, and what you are, and try to capture you. If she does, she will have you raped. First by Bailey- her alter ego, and then she’ll hand you off to her minions in order to compel you afterwards. Once you have done what she wants, she will kill you. I am sorry to be so brutal, but you have to know what you are dealing with.”


“Why did she kill my parents?” Halo asks quietly.


“Because that's what she thought you wanted. Remember you came back to the Underground having had a row saying that you wished they were dead?”


“I didn’t mean it literally!” He cries, dashing away tears and immediately Di comforts him. It takes a few minutes to compose himself and he looks at Vic. “I have to tell him, don’t I?”


“Yes, you do.”


He clears his throat. “Jules, Cylo k-killed your parents... Well not exactly, but he had a hand in it.” Jules gapes at him. “I’m sorry, dude. I didn’t know anything about it until he stabbed you two, I promise.”


“But why?” Jules sniffs, and with a nod from Vic, I pull him into my arms and run my fingers through his long hair. Gods, I am oh so thankful for the belt!


So am I! I hear in my head and I smile.


“Ahem!” Vic clears his throat hard. “Now focus, you two! It’s because you are an air magi Jules, and she wanted all air magis found. During the coupling, she would have been able to find the pure one, since it’s you. Cylo didn’t kill your parents, but he compelled the person who got drunk to drink more and the rest you know.”


“I still don’t understand… wait you said coupling. Was he expecting to fuck me?!  For what?!”


“Most likely his way of giving you comfort. Comfort, my ass!” Des sneers in disgust. “Surely you must have noticed the way he looked at you?”


“Ugh!” He turns his face back into my chest and shudders.


“That would be a no then.” I kiss the top of his head and he starts to relax a bit.


“Why is she like this?” Faye asks.


“Everyone sit down and listen. Sadly, she and Mika share a personality trait. They want things their way all the time, no matter what the other person or people want for themselves. And she, like Mika, wasn’t gifted her power, well not when she wanted it. But unlike Mika, she isn’t lazy. She is spoiled, spiteful, and jealous. When her older sister was going to be gifted her own powers, Calista pushed her out of the way and got them instead. But for every action, there is a reaction; for every cause, a consequence. Because she got them before her time, the counsel decreed that she wouldn’t be able to use them until it was her time…”


“What happened to her sister?” Des asks.


“She couldn’t forgive her for taking her powers and she left the family…”


“Is she still alive?”


“Oh very much so.” Vic smiles.


“Where is she? Can Ice-Tina get to her?” I ask.


“No, she can’t get to her as she is no longer her sister. She asked her parents to remove her from the family line…”


“Why? Surely she could’ve waited for Calista’s powers to come through and taken them?” Elvis queries.


“She could’ve done that, of course, but it was her parents’ reaction to Calista’s actions that sealed it for her. Instead of punishing Calista, they praised her ingenuity and then blamed her sister for not anticipating that move. She was so hurt and disappointed, especially when her parents were unfazed by her request. Calista got her second wave of powers when she should’ve and she was overwhelmed. She was told by her parents to have one power exorcised but she refused; becoming what she is now, as the power continued to take her over. She can’t absorb any more power, hence her need for a child with you, Byron.”


“You smiled.” Jules nestles back into my chest and Vic frowns. “You smiled when you said very much so, about her sister. Do you know where she is?”


“I’m right here.” Cynthia gives a small smile.


Astonished silence.


“Want me to continue?” Vic asks and she nods. “Once you are removed from the family line, willingly, you can either choose to remain power free or you can become a magi protector, and that’s what she chose.”


“Wow. Just wow. Cyn. I-I just… wow!” Fagin stammers.


“I’ve been tracking Calista for years and she always floated around Ice Regions. At first, I thought nothing of it. Then one day in the not so distant past, I saw her again. She didn’t recognise me, of course, but I couldn’t understand why she was here. Then you came into Ryder’s agency and it was like kaboom. I knew I had to protect you and anyone you held dear. Are you mad? I mean before, when I pretended...” She asks me quietly, looking at me for understanding.


“Are you kidding me?!” I grin at her, and she beams back. “So now what?” I ask.


“Di and I have to deal with Mika, and you must make this your second home. We won’t be long. Byron, can you come with us please? You, sadly, are our bait.”


“Wait, what about Cal… Ice-Tina?” Des worries. “Won’t she be able to sense him?”


“Oh, she’s got other things to worry about…” Di chuckles.


CALISTA’S ESTATE

CALISTA’S BEDROOM

CALISTA


I open my eyes carefully. The litany in my head has finally stopped and I sigh in relief. Clearly it was a nightmare that I was experiencing. I chuckle at my foolishness. It stands to reason that I must have been exhausted, since I’ve been running all over Europe. Of course, it would bring about hallucinations and the like. I get up and head to my dresser and then go stock still.


“Revertere ad me, pulchritudo.” I incant and still that image is in front of me. “Revertere ad me, pulchritudo!” I repeat firmly and still nothing changes. “REVERTERE AD ME, PULCHRITUDO!” I shout.


“What is happening?!” I scream. “What is happening?!” I try to leave the room, but like last night, I can’t. And now another litany starts in my head - for every action there is a reaction; for every cause, a consequence. Again, it is repeating, louder and louder, and I can’t make it stop.


DINER - AN HOUR LATER

VIC


Byron has an expression on his face I have never seen before, and I pull him into the office. “I want you to stay in here. Mika should be here soon. When he comes in, come out and behave as normal. Let him do what he usually does and we will do the rest. Understand?” He nods, and I am surprised to not find sadness or regret in his heart for Mika as I look at him.


“He was going to hurt Jules.” He whispers, and his eyes light and glow with the fire of anger. Rage indeed! “Someone he barely knows, and the things he has been saying to Fagin about him... Do what you need to do to keep Jules safe! That is the only thing that is important to me. What you do to Mika is of no consequence.” He answers, resignedly.


“I understand. He’s coming. Now promise, you will let us handle this… promise me now?!”


“I promise.” He says as his eyes die down, so I nod and head out.


MIKA


I see the familiar wig of my mother through the window and head inside. “Hi Ma. So you’re alive then?!” I snark, standing in front of her as she tries to take her order out.


“What are you talking about? You knew where I was.” She responds crossly, and flaps me out of the way.


“But you’ve not been in contact with me in all that time! Suppose something had happened to me?” I point out, tartly.


“Then someone would’ve contacted me, just like someone would’ve contacted you if something had happened to me. But clearly nothing did, so stop your bitching!”


Bitching?! Since when does she speak to me like that?!


“Ma! I am not bitching, I am your only son! As such, I am the head of the family and you would do well to remember that! You will watch your tone and speak to me with the respect that I deserve!” I snap.


“EXCUSE ME?!” She turns to me after slamming the coffee pot down. “I will speak to you with the respect that you deserve?” She pauses and takes a deep breath. Good, she is remembering her place! “Mika, I am very busy at the moment and don’t want a row. Why not take a seat at the counter and have some coffee and…”


“NO. Not before you apologize for the way you just spoke to… BYRON!” I yell, when I see him coming from out the back. “Where the fucking hell have you been?!”


“In Europe, like I said I would be, but I did stop off in Portland to help Di with…” Nicely pushed Byron, nicely pushed! Vic chuckles. Why the hell did I just hear that? I must have imagined that bullshit! I'll address it in a moment, but first...


“Portland?” I echo, and then turn to face Ma. “He was in Portland with you?” I stalk towards her, my heart pounding. “Ma, why didn’t you tell me this?!” I snarl, and she backs up a bit. Good! I have her right where I want her… cowering!


“I wasn’t aware I was supposed to.” She bites back.


“Byron is…” I jab her hard in her shoulder. “My. Best. Friend!” I jab her harder with every word. “And as such, everything he does, I should know about!”


“No, you shouldn’t!” Byron interjects. “Besides this was Kinnetic business, not comic-con business. We’re sponsoring some events over there.”


“I still should’ve been told that you were with him, mother dearest.” I spit.


“Mika, stop this shit now!” Byron tells me, but I am too angry.


“No, Byron! She keeps fucking interfering all the damn time! It’s time she learns her place!” I turn to her again. “I am sick to the back fucking teeth of you and everyone else getting between Byron and me! Let everyone on the goddamn fucking Street know, that when it comes to Byron, I am the only person you come to... ME!… NOBODY ELSE BUT…” I stop, as I have worked myself up so badly that I feel water running down my legs.


“Uh Mika, what the hell is wrong with you?” Byron gasps, backing away. “You’re pissing yourself!”


“What the fuck is happening?!” I screech and look down. My clothes start to break apart at the seams and fade away until I am naked. I can’t move my hands or arms to cover myself. “Somebody, do something!” I garble, and then watch mortified as I start to grow boobs and even worse, my cock starts to shrivel away. “MA!” I scream, but she is just staring at me, unmoved. “Ma!” I shout again… but my voice is different. It’s getting higher and higher, until I sound like a girl! I clamp my jaw shut and then my head is turned, unwillingly, to the mirror along the wall. I watch as I start to grow long flowing hair, my eyes grow bigger, and I start to turn into a girl! I hear the crunch and feel the pain of my hips curving wider, and hear someone shout out ‘nice cunt you got there’! I want to close my eyes, but I can’t. Instead, I see the water, the water rising all around me! Everyone is staring at me and pointing. This is a bad dream I tell myself, as the water starts to slide up my body, and then I realise, the water’s not rising... I am shrinking! I am getting smaller and smaller, and the water is surrounding me like a ball.


I am shouting and screaming at Ma to help me, but she isn’t moving, just staring blankly at me. I am dreaming, I am dreaming! I scream to myself and urge myself to wake up. As I look around, I see a pair of feet and look up, partly relieved, because it’s Uncle Vic. So it is a dream! I calm myself down and wait to wake up.


A few minutes later, I open my eyes and I turn over to see Ma looking at me. I stand up and hit my head on something, then look up...I am looking at a lid of some sort.


“Ma, what the fuck is…” I trail off, as I still sound like a girl!


“Zephyra. Calm yourself.” My eyes bug out of my head as Uncle Vic comes into view. “You need to leave the Street and go be with your true family. You were never one of us, as your actions and reactions have shown.”


“My name is MIKA! Now get me out of here!” I scream and stamp my foot. Whatever I am in wobbles, and bubbles float up from the bottom. “What the fuck is this?!” I demand.


“Goldfish bowl. You are now Zephyra the Niad, or water nymph. However, we could not leave you completely defenseless, so you have your own little world, where at least you are safe. But know this, we have given you the gift of longevity. This bowl will keep you alive until it is smashed by the only person that can wound your heart. Listen now and heed this warning well. If he has to kill you to protect the man he loves… kill you, he will! He has that right.”


Suddenly, I am picked up and carried by Ma to the door. She places me on the ground and I hear her say. “Apprehendere veram genus (take him to his true family)!”


“Ma, what are you…” I am cut off as I start to roll down the street faster and faster. I bump and bash against the bowl for what seems ages until I come to rest outside a building. I look around and it seems nice. Then I am lifted off the ground and I am staring into the gnarled face of a monster. “Put me down this instant!” I snap.


“Oh lookie what we have here, Cody. It’s a pretty ball.”

 

“Bring it inside, Igor. Bring it inside.”