- Text Size +

 

 

 

Justin waited for Brian and Rylie to join him in front of the theater. Once he held Rylie’s hand she skipped beside him. Brian was on the other side, still grouching about seeing a kids’ movie. It wasn’t everyday they got to spend time with their granddaughter. Gus lived in Seattle with his wife and daughter now. So, any time Justin got to spoil Rylie, he jumped at the chance. While Brian adored her, he really hated happy, singing cartoon bears.

Once inside the theater, Justin headed for the ticket kiosk.

“Where are you going?” Brian asked.

“The ticket kiosk. No waiting in line.”

“I like dealing with people.”

Justin rolled his eyes but joined Brian. There were a few people in front of them, waiting to be served.

“Can we have popcorn?” Rylie asked.

“Of course, a big bag. And we won’t share with Grandpa,” Justin said. Rylie giggled and shook her head.

By the time it was their turn Rylie was getting restless.

“How can I help you?” the young man asked.

“Three tickets to…The Darling Dancing Bears. Two adults and one child.”

“That’ll be twenty-four dollars,” the kid said.

Brian blinked at the kid. “No, it’s twenty-six, can’t you even do simple math?”

Hopefully, the kid’s friends wouldn’t hear and sneeze in their popcorn. Brian was really being a grouch.

“No, sir. It’s twenty-four. I can do math. That’s one child at six dollars, one adult at ten dollars and one senior citizen at eight dollars.”

Justin looked down at his granddaughter and grabbed her hand. He led her to the kiosk, blocking out the yelling from his husband. He paid for his and Rylie’s tickets knowing Brian might be otherwise engaged during the movie. He would be lucky if they just kick him out and not call the police. The restaurant that gave him the seniors discount was still threatening prosecution against Brian.

“Why is Grandpa yelling?” Rylie asked.

“They think he’s old enough for senior discount.”

“How old do you have to be?”

“Changes at places but here, it’s fifty-five.”

“Oh, that’s silly, he’s only forty-nine.”

“Damn, straight I’m only forty-nine,” Brian said, joining them as they waited for popcorn.

“Do you have a ticket?” Justin asked.

“I bought one from the kiosk, people are overrated.”

“And you didn’t get kicked out?”

“Of course not, but we really should hurry.” He looked around quickly. “I think someone might have overreacted and called the cops.”

“Grandpa, I can tell them you are forty-nine. You’ve been forty-nine for as long as I’ve known you.”

Justin bit back a laugh, his husband wasn’t really in the mood for it. But it was the truth. He told everyone he was forty-nine. Not the fifty-six his drivers license said.

“Let’s just go watch the damn movie,” Brian growled.

 

Justin got the popcorn and drink, and followed his family. It really was funny how much Brian got mad about things like this. It always made the nights better though, him proving his youth. Maybe one day he’ll stop coming into places before Brian just to ask the people to give his husband a senior discount. Probably not. 

The End.
SLHR is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked A Night Out at the Movies also liked 551 other stories.