- Text Size +


TORONTO AIRPORT - TWO HOURS LATER


DAPHNE


“I see. So you have an admirer.” I surmise after he finishes telling me about what’s been happening and he looks surprised. “And this had not occurred to you? You just saw it as someone messing with you in an annoying way, not the positive way they mean? You look completely banjaxed.” He frowns. “By pointing out the obvious, I have ruined and destroyed your conception of what was happening.”


“But why? I don’t get why?”


“What do you mean Mr...I mean, Brian?”


“Well yeah, I can fuck like a machine, but nobody wants me for anything other than that.”


“Someone does, so I suggest you do the one thing that they are doing.”


“What?” He demands, his face twisted in confusion and frustration.


“Have fun. Get your ego stroked; hell, get your needs met! Just enjoy it!”


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - THREE DAYS LATER


STUDY


LINDSAY


I thought she would never fucking leave! I have been playing the good Step-lesbian Wife and Mel has totally bought into it! I watch her drive to work and immediately, grab my phone to place a call to my lawyer, whom she knows nothing about. I am a WASP from a family of WASPs and while this little grandstanding of Brian’s is sweet in its own way, it is ultimately futile. I shall simply ensure by claiming he is mentally unstable, that every decision which Brian has made is reversed and that I am made the sole executor of his estate. Naturally, having been spoken to like that by the lumbering lummox, I have advised Michael and Debbie to do the same.


“Andrew Gailsford please. This is Lindsay Peterson calling. Yes, I’ll hold.”


DEB’S HOUSE - SAME TIME



MICHAEL


We’ve been back for three days and neither Brian nor Carl are in Pittsburgh, which explains why they haven’t contacted us. I have been trying Ben ever since he walked out of Mel and Lindsay’s house. She was as furious as we were. I mean and after everything we’ve done for Brian and Ben...!


I decide to try Ben again and wave at Ma when she comes in. “Are you fucking kidding me?!” I roar and hang up. “You are not going to believe this!”


“Which ungrateful asshole has done what now?” She demands.


“Ben’s number is no longer in service!”


“So call Mel and get it from her.” She puts the shopping down. “Remember he said he would call her in a few days so she must have heard from him by now.”


“Yeah. So what took you so long?”


“Took for fucking ever to get served.” She grumbles. “The new people on the Avenue don’t know who I am or what I have done for their forebears. So some of them treat me with such disrespect! Have you called the lawyers?”


“Yes. They reckon the papers will be served by the end of the week. So whatever they have planned,  isn’t going to happen. Are you going into work today?”


“Yeah. Miss Manager gave Kiki the rest of the week off despite me explaining that we had a family crisis!”


“She’s just a bitch, isn’t she? And a jealous one at that!” I tell her and she nods. “I’m going to go to the store. I shall see you later in the diner?”


“Yeah, see you later sweetie.”



BELLRUSH DISTILLERY - CONNECTICUT


CYNTHIA


I have been watching Mr Slim walk quietly with us. He’s been making lots and lots of notes as we’ve walked along. During the pitch, he was also making notes and even on the plane, he kept on writing notes. But any time someone tried to see what he was writing, he politely but firmly rebuffed their attempts. By their, I mean me. I do not like being denied access to gossip!


Speaking of gossip, Ted is still in Pittsburgh, dealing with the virulent virago and her two pet vipers. I have dealt with Lindsay ever since she was inseminated and I know what she was like then, constantly visiting or calling. There was even one time, literally two weeks after she was inseminated when she came into the office, claiming she could feel fluttering!  


When Brian came back and told Ted and I what had happened in Toronto, we were unsurprised and yet, appalled. However, between the, now, three of us, we had a plan in place to thwart them. And this, they won’t see coming.


“Now Mr Kinney…” William Bellrush smiles at us. “...would you and your colleagues like to taste the rare and vintage reserves of our whisky?”


“Yes please, but please don’t open it especially on our behalf.” Brian demurs.


“Brian, your advertising has increased our sales by 25%, so the least we can do is open a couple of bottles of whisky.” He waves to some waiters. “And because we couldn’t be irresponsible and have you drink on an empty stomach, we have also prepared some rare rib-eye steaks with sweet potato....”


I watch Justin wince slightly and then bite his lip, so I make my way over to him. “What’s wrong?” I whisper.


“I can’t stand sweet potato. If I have to eat it, I will be sick.” He replies quietly, but with a slightly panicked edge to his voice.


“Then don’t eat it.” I tell him frowning at this unnecessary hand-wringing response.


“It’s mixed together.” He replies and then I look across and see his problem.


“Mr Taylor, is everything okay?” William asks gently.


“Um the um sweet potato, I don’t like it but I really want to try the whisky and I haven’t eaten since breakfast and…” He trails off in the face of the incredulous and unimpressed expression on Brian’s face. “...sorry, but he did ask.” He points out, staring back at Brian with equal vigor.


The stand off is stopped by the bark of laughter from William. “He’s right, I did. Please, can you get the young man some rib-eye with maybe a salad or in a sandwich?”


“Oh, thank you!” He replies effusively. “Bread would be great, thank you.”


“Do you require any accoutrements? You know to save the waiter from returning.” Brian asks tightly.


“Some mustard please on the side, if that’s possible.” Justin replies not looking at Brian, but I can see he is pissed off.


“Of course sir, not a problem.”


“You’ve got a top class firecracker there, Kinney!” William laughs. “The look he just gave you could’ve frozen a fireball!”


While Brian smiles, I know him and Justin is in for a bollocking when it’s just us. And I wouldn’t miss it for the world!


CAR TO THE AIRPORT - AN HOUR LATER


“Care to explain that prima donna behaviour?” He turns coldly to Justin.


“You first.” Justin retorts and Brian’s jaw drops.


“Me first?  Me…”


“Yes, you! The situation was resolved amicably so the comment made by you was unnecessary and borderline bullying. Don’t ever do it again.” Justin retorts and then picks up his iPhone, plugs in his music and then reaches for his pad. As far as he is concerned, this conversation is over.


I catch Daph’s eye in the mirror and I can see the laughter in there.


“Mr Slim.” Brian growls, but Justin ignores him and I can see that Brian is about to get a little bit cross. “Mr Taylor, I am talking to you.”


With a sigh, he unplugs his earphones. “No, you are talking at me; not the same thing. I am not some meek chattel for you to speak to howsoever you see fit. I have free will and I will defend myself when I feel I am being unnecessarily attacked. As I’ve said, the conversation, which by the way had nothing to do with you, was finished. If I had been made to eat that I would’ve been sick as I explained to Cynthia. Which would you rather I did? Have a beef sandwich or I boaked on your shoes?”


The grip tightens on Brian’s pencil. “Interesting juxtaposition. You use howsoever, which isn’t a word and boaked, which, albeit old-fashioned, is. Did they teach you nothing in school?”


“Mr Kinney, you are not stupid, nor do you employ, well the Grantham aberration aside, stupid people…” The car pulls up to a stop. “I want to keep working for Kinnetic because it’s a great company to work for. But I think it will be for the best that I sit somewhere other than with you because I will keep defending myself.”  And with that he gets out, takes his case out of the trunk, slams it very hard and is gone before we could stop him.


I look at Brian and he’s laughing. Tears running down his face, laughing. “I have never been so politely bitch slapped in my entire life!” He gets out of the car and starts to scan the crowds. “Got him! Meet you in the lounge!” He shouts and takes off running.


JUSTIN


Fucking arrogant bastard! He didn’t have to do that! Damn my inner devil! I decide to head to the bar instead of sitting in the lounge. At least, I can drink myself into oblivion. I check my ticket and hope that the plane is not full or that flouncing off is going to be for naught. Unless I change the ticket entirely...yes, that’s what I’ll do.


“I’ll get this.” Mr Kinney tells the barman, who nods. I am about to say something but he holds up his hand. “I don’t do this often, so take it for what it is. Sorry.” He says and then walks away.


Oh for fuck sake, what did he have to do that for?!


KINNETIC - TWO DAYS LATER


SHELLEY


I lead the smug threesome and their lawyers into the conference room. The smugness evaporates when they are faced, not with Brian Kinney like they expected, but with Cynthia and Ted. “What’s going on?” The Gimp demands as if he has the power.


“Have a seat. We’re waiting for the rest of the attendees.” Ted answers. “May I get you some refreshments? Coffee, tea, water, hemlock?”


“Where’s Brian?” A chilly blonde demands. “This is between us and him. You two…” The door opening stops her talking and her face falls. “Mel? What are you doing here?!”


“I could ask you and your lawyer, or should I say fuck buddy, the same question?” Mel replies and sits down next to Ted. “Who are we waiting for?”


“Executor and complainants.” Ted replies and she nods.


“Fuck buddy?” Ice cold woman repeats. “I don’t…”


“Yes, every now and then you get the urge and you go to him. Which is good for you, but not so much for our marriage. But let’s come back to that later since we have lots to discuss already.”


The door opens again, and this time, the DQ folds her arms and glowers. “What are they doing here?!”


“Like I said, Executor as in Carl Horvath and one of complainants, Ben Bruckner and…” The door opens again and brings in Mr Kinney, He sits down next to Ben Bruckner.


“Okay. Shelley, can you start the recording and take the minutes, please?” Cynthia asks and I sit down and then reach across to press the button. “So the attendees are Lindsay Peterson, Michael Novotny, Debbie Novotny, Shelley Warner, myself Cynthia Moore, Ted Schmidt, Ben Bruckner, Carl Horvath, Melanie Marcus, Brian Kinney and legal representatives of Lindsay Peterson, Michael Novotny and Debbie Novotny and legal representatives for Brian Kinney, Ben Bruckner and Carl Horvath. Please state your names for the recording and who you are representing?”


“Andrew Gailsford, representing Lindsay Peterson-Marcus.”


“Peterson. Her surname is just Peterson.” Mel corrects him tartly and Lindsay goes pale.


“Ira Lomquist, representing Michael and Debbie Novotny.”


“Fred, sorry Frederica Storm representing Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath and Ben Bruckner.”


“Fred Storm?” Lindsay repeats after swallowing hard. “I thought you were a man.”


“Nope. All woman. As my husband knows full well.” She laughs.


“So let us begin. According to these papers, you three have banded together to try and reverse the decisions made in Brian’s will on the grounds of mental incapacity, even though he is very much alive.” Mel reads from the folder. “And the two of you want to have the dissolution of the civil union contested and also the sale of the property by Ben Bruckner to Carl Horvath. Again, on the grounds of mental incapacity. So how are they mentally deficient?”


“Brian has clearly had some kind of emotional breakdown.” Lindsay explains. “He must have,  to have made these rash decisions, including…”


“He is not mentally deficient. And there is not a court in the land that will hear this case, so that ends that!” Fred interrupts. “It made perfect sense in order to protect Gus and this was the way to do it. We went to a judge and everything just to make sure, which was a step you didn't take. Instead, you just came in here, trying to make him back down. Not going to happen, not while I represent him!” She stands up and hands over some papers to their lawyers, who quickly open them and show them to their clients.


“Now Mr Kinney, please can you carry out the wishes of Mr Bruckner with regards to Carl Horvath?” He nods and hands over a set of keys and an envelope, which Carl opens and quickly reads and then smiles. “Mr Horvath, I take it you are happy to sign the document contained therein? For those here present, this document transfers ownership of the former marital, sorry civil union home, of Benjamin Bruckner and Michael Novotny to Carl Horvath and also the shared ownership in the store known as Red Cape Comics, previously the property of Ben Bruckner...”


“You can’t give your part of my store to Carl!” The Gimp screams at Ben.


“I’m not,” he states calmly. “I’m giving it to Mel, who, unlike me, will exercise her right to a share of the profits, which I believe solves the support payment problem perfectly. Fred, if you could give her paperwork for that, please?”


“Of course, it will be my pleasure! Sorry Mel, but client-attorney privilege prevented me from saying anything. Here’s the paperwork and if you could read it and sign it, but only if you are happy...”


I see the tremble in Melanie’s hand as she takes the papers and starts to read before she gasps, looking across at Ben, who gives a small nod and smile in return. “Wow, just wow, Ben... I can’t believe you’ve given this up!”


“I don’t want anything to do with them anymore. This is my final tie to Pittsburgh, severed. You and Michael now jointly own the store 50/50, like we were supposed to. Except it was only me paying the mortgage on the store, while he reaped the rewards; such a fool that I was!”


“YOU’VE DONE WHAT?!” He stands up and stalks towards the other end of the table.


“Sit down, Mr Novotny.” Daphne’s cool and crisp tones stop him in his tracks as she comes through the door. “Should I remain, Mr Kinney?”


“Please.” Mr Kinney replies and Daphne goes to stand equidistance between them. Then she oh-so-casually puts her Taser on the table causing the Gimp to walk faster back to his seat!


“So Lindsay, we will come back to the matter of your infidelity in a moment.” Fred smirks as she again, swallows hard. “But, I can’t understand why you are doing this. You signed your agreement to everything when the support agreement was renewed so why have you changed your mind?”


“I have concerns, especially given Ted’s past as a…”


“Whereas your past and current present as a cheating wife makes you a paragon of virtue, does it? Mr Schmidt has redeemed himself in the eyes of the people who matter, of which of them don’t include you. You are aware that it was the idea of Mr Schmidt and Ms Moore to have the house put in the name of Gus Marcus Pet…”


“Gus Marcus Kinney.” Mel interrupts sharply.


“What the hell is that…”


“You have been cheating on me with him, amongst others for a while now. And fear, yes it was fear, kept me tied to you but no longer. Brian, I have made up my mind. We’re moving back.”


“What do you mean we are moving back?” Lindsay demands.


“Yes, we’re moving back. What you do is up to you, but you won’t be doing it with me or the children. And unless he’s prepared to leave his wife, I suspect you won’t be doing it with him either!” She sneers, pointing at Gailsford.


“Moving back?” Mr Kinney repeats. “You’re bringing Gus…”


“Home. Yes.” She smiles at him and he blinks rapidly. “May I do this bit, Fred?”


“Are you sure?” She looks warily at Lindsay, who looks like she’s going to explode.


“Yes, I’m sure.” She looks down the table at her soon to be ex wife and shakes her head. “I loved you but that wasn’t enough, was it? You agreed, you agreed, that you wouldn’t cheat again. And sadly, I believed that. But hey, you live, you get lied to and then you move on and that is what I am going to do.” She gets up and walks down towards her. “These are our divorce papers and the revocation of your rights as the mother to Gus Marcus Kinney and Jenny Rebecca Marcus.”


“ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY?!” Lindsay bellows, snatching the papers from her and tearing them in half. “I will never give up my rights to the children!”


“The first time you fucked away from our marital bed, you gave up your rights and I ignored it, but no more.”  


“YOU FUCKING BITCH! I SHALL MAKE YOU PAY!” She screams and leaps towards Mel as she starts to head back to her seat.


“PRIMING!” Daphne yells then there is a buzz, a flash and then a heavy thud as Lindsay lands face first on the table. The room at large is stunned silent. I look across at Mel, who is in Ted’s arms. “Ms Marcus, are you okay?” She demands over her shoulder, watching Lindsay continue to twitch. “Ms Marcus, please answer the question?!”


“I’m fine, I’m fine.” She replies shakily. “Is, um, there a way to stop that?” She points at Lindsay and Daphne pulls out the pins.


“I think it is safe to say that our business is now con...where’s Mr Novotny?” Fred asks and we all look to where he was sitting. DQ is standing by the wall. When she got there is anybody’s guess. “When did he leave the room?” She demands.


“He didn’t.” His lawyer is struggling to keep a straight face. “It seems that he tried to stop her from attacking Ms Marcus and grabbed her ankle at the same time as the pins hit. He’s under the table.”


As one, we all look under the table and there is the prone figure of Michael Novotny.


“Someone call him a fucking ambulance!” DQ screams.


Ben gets up and strides down to where he is lying, but slowly starting to come around. “Can you hear me?”


“Uh, yeah…” He mumbles.


“Come on, let me help you there.” We all watch incredulous as Ben helps a very unsteady Gimp to stand up. He turns towards the DQ smouldering like some sulphurous volcano. “He’s a fucking ambulance!” Ben snaps and lets him go, which was a touch unfortunate because he hits his chin on the table as he tries to sit down but misses the chair. So he is knocked out again.


“That’s not what I meant!” DQ screams. “Carl, do something!” She yells, scrambling under the table to help the Gimp.


“Shelley, is it?” I nod. “Can you call an ambulance for the injured parties and Melanie, do you wish to press charges for attempted assault?”


“Yes, yes I do.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks