- Text Size +


BRIAN’S CAR OUTSIDE KINNETIC - THREE DAYS LATER


BRIAN


“AAAACHOOOOOO!” I sniff and sigh, then catch the raised eyebrow look I am getting from Daph. “I am not sick! This is just a reaction to dust.” I assert firmly even though it hurts to blink.


“Of course it is, Brian.” She says with a bucketload of sarcasm as she gets out of the car to open my door. “I shall hoover this impeccably clean car to make sure that you don’t have this reaction to non-existent dust again. Oh and that shiver you just did, it is rather chilly for July.”


I say nothing and stalk inside and glare at Shelley, who has put a packet of cold and flu sachets on the side of her desk. I ignore them.


BRIAN’S OFFICE - 10 MINUTES LATER


“Brian! Bri, come on sit up and take this!” I hear someone ordering me.


What do they mean sit up? I am sitting up! I open my eyes and find myself looking in the concerned ones of Ted. “What is that?” I demand.


“Cold and flu remedy. You will take it now, either willingly or intravenously!”


I glare at him but this is not having its usual effect. “You are rheumy eyed, red nosed, have a rib rattling cough and I could hear you sneezing before you even pulled into the car park. You. Have. A. Cold. Go. Home!”


“I have…” I try to suppress the cough but fail. “...too much to do and…”


“That is why you have staff. You remember them, don’t you? They’re the people you shout at on a regular basis.” He retorts and holds the cup in front of me. Grudgingly, I sit up and then close my eyes as my head swims. “Bri, please go home; you’re exhausted.”


“I got through cancer without quitting. I can…”  I am interrupted by a cup dropping to the floor and look to the door. Cynthia is staring at me wide eyed and I sigh, then I look at Ted, who is just opening and closing his mouth. “...it was four years ago and they got it all. I’m cancer free. Not a word leaves this room, understand?”


“Who knows?” Cynthia comes into the office and shuts the door. “Brian, who else knows?”


“Apart from you two?” They nod. “Nobody.”


“You asshole!” Ted snaps. “I knew you were fucking sick! I knew it!”


“When’s your next appointment?” Cyn demands, picking up the pieces of cup. “I take it you have to go on a regular basis.”


“I went already, hence the cancer free announcement. Next one is next year.”


“That’s a lot of days. I need the date, time, location and the name of your oncologist.”


I look at my two friends and even though they are majorly pissed, there is concern and relief. I head slowly to my desk and log onto my computer.


“Tell me which file. Ted, you want a copy too?” Cyn asks and he nods. “And where was it? I would rather you told me than I read it.”


“The Ibiza one. And left testicle.”


“Ouch!” Ted winces and then squeezes my arm.


“Indeed. Now do what you need to do so I can get on with some fucking work!” I move out of the way while Cyn takes a copy of it and takes the cup from Ted.


JUSTIN


Cancer? He had cancer?! I back out of Cyn’s office and rush to the bathroom. Once I am in the safety of the stall, I try to calm down. He’s fine; he’s better...I repeat to myself. Ten minutes later, I am back at my desk but still feeling out of sorts.


“Anybody, apart from the legendary but thus far unknown coffee genius, know how to work the machines?” Karen asks. “I’m desperate for a cup!”


Fuck the coffee! I am about to make my way to the kitchen when an IM comes through.


CG sit down and send instructions. Your secret is safe with me. D.


I frown and look around. There isn’t a full name on the message just D.


Send the instructions before folks start to get feral! Pings through and that makes me smile and I quickly forward the instructions.


TWO DAYS LATER


JUSTIN


Everyone is on tenterhooks as he storms around the building, coughing and spluttering. Thankfully, he can barely speak, but he’s been sending out emails in block capitals and bold font to convey how unhappy he is with things. He even had IT take the profanity filter off so he could be as succinct as possible.


“Lord have mercy.” Karen sighs as she returns to her desk and my eyes widen. “It wasn’t too bad but his voice sounds terrible. Why doesn’t he just give up the ghost and go home?”


“Because that’s not what I want to do.” Brian growls from behind her.


“Well that explains the expression on your face, Justin.” She shakes her head and turns around. “I am sorry, Mr Kinney, but you really don’t look or sound well.”


“Thank you for your concern but if you could concentrate on your work and not my health that would be great. Mr Slim, with me and bring your pads.”


I trot after him and then almost run into him when he stops by Cyn’s desk. “Okay, a tomato soup, a small one and hold the bread.” She nods and goes to place the order.


“Mr Kinney, could you excuse me a minute? I need to go to the bathroom before we start.” I smile, in a hopefully, winning fashion and he waves me away. I virtually run to the bathroom frantically, texting Emmett along the way.


BRIAN’S OFFICE - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“These boards were originally done by Grantham, but they need neatening up or redoing. I think you are the best…” I wince as my throat is so sore. “...person to fix the fuck up. So sit there and show me what you can do.” I wave at the sofa and he quickly sits down then starts to work.


“Come!” I flinch at the soreness of my throat again.


Cynthia comes in with a box and a smirk on her face. “Food’s here.”


“What’s with the smile?” I sigh.


“You’ll see.” She stands in front of me and nods at the food bag. “You’ll see better if you open it, for example.”


Sighing, I pull out the box and stop to stare. “Not again.” I grouse as I see the familiar script on the napkin. “Have you read this?”


“Nope. Just saw the writing and the green.” She is grinning now. “So figured your admirer is back.”


“Lucky me.” I grumble.


“So what does it say?!” She demands.


“You have a frog in your throat. You need to eat this and hop home...I am the first of many and will keep hopping to you until you do.”


“Let’s see it then!”


I hand over the piece of paper with a huff of annoyance.



“Aww, it’s kinda cute. But he’s right about the frog; you sound like Kermit with a cold.”


“It’s not easy being green!” I drawl sarcastically and pull out the box, before opening it carefully. “Cynthia, what is that? This does not look like a small tomato soup to me and...wait you said he. Why would it be a he?” Both she and Justin just look at me. “I take that back.”


“Yeah your brain is not firing on all cylinders, what with you being sick and all!” Justin mutters from the sofa.


“Your tetchy concern is duly noted, Mr Slim. But back to the food matter in hand, it’s...what is it?”


Justin comes over and looks at it. “Biscuits with tomato gravy, egg and bacon.” He replies.


“And just how do you know that?” I sit back in my chair.


“Because that’s what it says on the napkin...you didn’t turn it over like they said.” He hands it to me and sure enough, there is a PTO with the description of the food on the other side. “You need to eat that before it gets cold. You need to starve a fever and feed a cold. Or is it the other way around? Anyway, you need to eat, Mr Kinney. Let me go and get you a fork.”


Ten minutes later, as loathe as I am to admit it, I do feel better. He’s been up and down, adjusting the boards with limited instruction and they are looking great. I am startled when my printer suddenly springs into life. “Are you printing something?” I ask him and he shakes his head before going back to the boards. I take off the piece of paper and groan. “Go home and relax.” He looks up at me in confusion and I wave the piece of paper at him. “This!”



“Oh. Um, well at least they…” He begins but the printer starts up again.


This time there is no frog but there a missive. “This is where you go and get your coat and things…” We’re both staring at the printer when Cyn comes in.


“What are you two doing?” She queries.


“Here.” I hand over the pieces of paper and then inwardly sigh as the printer starts up again.


“Go and sit in a dark room, if necessary.” Justin snickers and hands me the paper.



“No, I want to get it!” Cyn dashes to the printer, giggling. “Or tuck yourself up in bed.”



“My printer! I’ll get it!” I croak as imperiously as I can. “Don’t come in tomorrow. Just sit and watch the world go by, take in the pretty things.”



“You need to rest and once you do, you can come back and you will be dancing...yeah!”



“Great, now I have a Bee Gees fucking earworm!” I grumble and then start to pack up my desk.


“Brian, are...are you going home?” Cyn looks incredulous.


“Yeah, I have had it with the army of frogs. See you guys on Monday!” I sniff and call Daph on my way out.


CYNTHIA


I wait for him to clear the building and turn to Justin, who is chuckling to himself as he clears up.


“So what are you going to do next?”


“Go back to my desk and…”


“No, Mr Slim. I meant, what are you going to do next to Brian? If you are going to continue to mess with his food, you need a list of likes and dislikes.” He gapes at me before he goes pale then red. “Shut the door and let’s talk.” He reluctantly returns to the sofa. “Do you realise what you’ve done?” He shakes his head, sadly. “Made him smile. If he was as furious as you think he is, the building would be levelled trying to find out who is doing this. Daph told me about the get well picture. It’s framed in Gus’s room and they were so pleased with it.” I sit back and watch him slowly start to relax. “So want to tell me why or should I guess?”


“It’s so clichéd.” He mutters, going pink. “Boy sees boss, boy falls in love with boss on sight, boss doesn’t notice boy…”


I have to laugh. “Well as ways of getting his attention go, it’s pretty ingenious and funny. Look, go back to your desk and text me your private email address.”


“How did you know it was me, by the way?” He asks, pausing at the door.


“Saw you on tape putting the picture on the car and just put two and two together. How’d you get them to print when they did?”


“There’s a delayed printing function.” He looks proud of himself. “Thanks Cyn for not…”


“I’m having fun! Why would I want that to stop?” I grin as he closes the door softly. “Oh Mr Slim, you are so right. He didn’t notice the boy. He noticed the man!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.