- Text Size +


BRIAN


Tentatively, I touch his waist. He moves a little bit forward, while I push my tongue in a little deeper. He groans and I have to bite mine back...yeah, bad idea! And it is as if we have the same thought and pull away from each other. He slowly gets off my lap. “Sit down, Mr Slim.” Quietly, he does so. “You realise you most likely will get a cold? Actually, no, flu. You will get flu. I think I am still contagious.”


“I have had my vaccines so I should be fine.”


“Good. Now here’s what’s going to happen. That didn’t happen. We both got caught up in a very heated moment. Although, you do need to clarify how…”


“It was unlocked on the desk and after he did what he did, and he did do what he did, I did what I did.”


“Thank you.”


“Thank you?” He looks confused.


“Mmmm. I have never had anyone defend me as rapaciously as that.”


“You’re welcome. I should…”


“Stop making a bigger deal out if it than there needs to be. It was heat of moment kiss…” He nods. “A delicious one, but we must not do that again. Now let’s get back to the boards.”


“We both agree that it was heat of the moment never to be repeated.” He looks across at me.


“Absolutely.”


“Then you might want to stop stroking my thigh.” He points out with a smile.


I snatch my hand away as if scalded “Sorry.” I mutter and my hand is as warm as my face.


“Do you think they’ve gone?”


“They are definitely out of the building. Graham would’ve seen to that.” I go to the window and I can see their car. “Looks like they are waiting for you to come out.”


“Well, they’re going to be waiting a long time. We have boards to finish going over.”


“True.” I sigh and rub my eyes, tiredly.


“Why did you let them in?”


“They would’ve noticed when nobody came to tell them to shut up.”


“Huh?”


“I own the building. There’s only me living here. They don’t know that. I use this loft for my workspace and the 2nd and 3rd floors are my living areas.”


“Ah, I see. You’re not coming into work tomorrow, are you?”


“No, I’ve been locked out of my own system, hence you being here.”


“Good. Now next on the list is…”


“I’ve ordered dinner from Fabulicious already. To say thanks for you know…”


“What did you order? Although, I can eat virtually anything.”


“No sweet potato.” I reply tartly. “Not only do I not do blood or dribble, I don’t do boak.”


“Harrumph! So what did you order? And why? You have lots of the soup left.”


“I only have two tubs left. Am freezing the rest. And besides, I believe someone requested that they be allowed to take a tub home. So that leaves me one and that’s for lunch.” I reply and watch his eyes widen in surprise.


“Thanks!” The smile he gives me could melt the polar ice caps. “Can I take it now, while I remember?”


“Sure.” He almost runs to the fridge and that gives me the chance to look at his butt properly. It felt good, nice and plump. Fuck me! I should not have done that! Under that hideous jumper he was wearing before he laid down the beatdown is a rather fetching cock twitching ass! I have to distract myself. “Do you want a glass of wine?”


“Please. Red, if you have it. Which boards shall I take back?”


“All of them. I am having the day off.”


“Really?!” He looks astonished as I feel.


“Yeah. Being locked out of the system wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.”


EMMETT


Right, that is dinner done. I am going to deliver this myself. I want to plate it up nicely. Darren is very sweet but ultimately, not me.


“Fabulicious, Emmett Honeycutt speaking!” I trill down the phone when it rings. “Oh hi Mr K, just finished putting it in the box. Are you okay? You sound a little strained...I take it the nasty ghastlies are hovering like wraiths, are they? Not in the building anymore? I smell gossip! See you in a bit!”


INSIDE MICHAEL’S CAR, OUTSIDE THE LOFT - 30 MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


“When did Emmett get here?” I demand, looking up from my comic.


“Huh, what?!” Ma mumbles, sitting up. “I don’t know. I only closed my eyes for a minute!”


“Still say that is a fucking awful truck!”



“Michael, it may be a fucking awful truck but it is his fucking awful truck that he owns outright.”


“What are you getting snippy with me for?!”


“I’m sorry sweetheart. I can’t believe that he just stood there and let us be treated like that. Wait, isn’t that Lindsay? What’s she doing here?”


“Mel’s been an uptight bitch. Still can’t believe she left Jenny with Ben!”


“What?! When did that happen?! When did you see her?!”


“When Carl stole my house! She came in with an appraiser, an auditor and fucking cleaners. She’s completely destroyed the character of the place! As for Ben, that’s what I tried to point out, but she said that I have to pay support to have a say. This is why Brian needs to be brought the fuck to heel!”


“Though I have to say, he really didn’t look well.”


Oh poor poorly ickle Brian!


LINDSAY


I decided on a change of plan and try for a word with Peter. I wait for the doorman to open the door with tears at the ready. “Yes, can I help you, ma’am?”


Ma’am?! I do not look that old!


“Yes.” I sniff. “I need to be let into Brian Kinney’s…”


“He’s got flu and is not receiving visitors, I’m afraid.” He stops me from going any further than the doorway.


“He’ll see me.” I insist, sniffing hard but he doesn’t budge. “I’m one of his dearest friends.”


“I have been instructed by Mr Kinney that he is not to be disturbed by anyone, except specially approved people. May I take your name, ma’am?”


“Lindsay Peterson, but…”


“You’re not on the list.”


“I called him this morning and let him know I was coming. Maybe he forgot to…”


“Mr Kinney never ever fails to update his visitors’ list.” He interrupts.


“Graham, can you let me up, sweetie?” Emmett sing songs as he comes through the street door.


“Ems!” I beam at him. He just stares at me.


“Ah, Lindsay. Graham, do not let her up. He needs rest and recovery, and he’ll never be allowed to get that if she's there. I am here to stock his fridge. Is there a reason that they are sitting in his car outside?”


“Yes and Mr Kinney can tell you all about it.” The doorman winks at him.


“Emmett, I need to see Brian. Mel has…”


“Kicked your cheating ass out. Yes, I know. Good news travels very fast where you are concerned. Now why don’t you go and conspire towards failure with the two ghastlies out there?”


“Mr Honeycutt has asked you to leave, ma’am. As an official representative of Mr Kinney, I will take his word over yours. Please vacate this building.”


The doorman holds open the door for me and firmly guides me out! I stalk over to their car and tap sharply on the window. He winds it down. “Let’s go to yours, Michael. We need to talk.”


“I don’t have a mine! Ben sold it to that fucker Carl, remember?!” He bitches at that unnecessary volume he always uses. “So why are you here?”


“Mel is being difficult. Do you know she’s…”


“Left Jenny with Ben? Yes, we know.” He interrupts.


“Has left the marital home and is letting Ben stay there.” I snipe.


“With Jenny?!” Debs demands.


“I don’t know, but what I do know is that I am cold, tired, fucked off and we need each other. So let me in and let’s just go somewhere!”


FOURTH FLOOR LOFT


EMMETT


I watch the ghastlies finally depart and turn back to Brian and, now that we have been introduced, Justin. I had to bite the inside of my cheek when Brian insisted that I join them. He forgets how long I have known, but never judged, him. And judging by the drifting looks, he likes what he is seeing.


“They’ve gone. Shall we go downstairs?”


“Yeah. I’m starving.” Brian replies.


I am gobsmacked and I guess it must show on my face. “Yes, this is me, Brian Kinney, saying I am hungry. Seems that little and often is the way to go isn’t it, Mr Slim?”


“They just want you to get better.” He blushes.


“And tomorrow will ensure that. Are you busy tomorrow, Ems?”


“I will make time for you, Mr. K.” I tell him as we follow him downstairs. “What do you need?”


Silence.


“I can’t help if you don’t tell.” I tap him on the shoulder.


“You would need to ask Mr Slim, since it was his ice cream sandwiches that I ate.”


Ice cream sandwiches? Plural?


“So, Mr...I mean Justin. What was it? The ice cream, I mean.”


“Banana.”


“Of course it was.” I snicker as we enter.


“Make sure you email him the recipe tomorrow, Mr Slim, as I would like to eat them in the evening.”


“Yes, boss.” Justin replies.


“You are our guest, so you relax for a minute. Did you bring your wine down?”


“Yes. And very carefully, I might add.” He teases and Brian Kinney, the Stud of Liberty Avenue, rolls his eyes! Justin plonks down on the sofa with a sigh.


Brian and I work in silence, getting the dinner plated up. Both of us occasionally look across to see what he’s doing. He’s pulled out a pad and is drawing something, deeply absorbed in what he is doing. Giving me the universal silent signal, we approach. But why we are creeping is anyone’s guess, as a nuclear bomb wouldn’t have gotten his attention! I watch a soft smile go across Brian’s face as he looks at what he is doing.


“What’s that?”


“Oh, for the love of all things fucking holy!” Justin screams and his pencil flies across the room.


“Sorry to startle you, but we’ve been reading over your shoulder for the last five minutes. So what’s that?”


“Uh, nothing.” He replies, pulling the pad to his chest and trying to reach for his pack at the same time. With a nod, I move it out of reach and sit next to him. “I need my pack, please.”


“You need to answer his question, sweetie.” I tell him gently. “He’s asking because it’s a good thing. So what is it?”


“A...a cartoon kind of thing.”


“A...bout.” Brian demands impatiently, but holds up his hand when I cut my eye at him.


“Well, it’s just a comic for me. About a...tigerwhofindsitsroar.” He rushes out.


“A Tiger Who Finds Its Roar. I doubt that you would need to find that judging by that earlier display.” Brian smiles before slowly reaching forward and gently, but firmly, pulling the pad from his chest. “May I?” He asks and we wait for Justin to nod. Quietly, he flicks through and occasionally chuckles and smiles. “So this looks like months in. The characters are settled and defined. There is a definite plot, although I would make the bear a little less intimidating.”


“He is not intimidating!”


“Look at the tiger cub. What’s his name by the way? Do not say Tigger.”


“Tyson.”



“Was his name Tigger?”


“Yes.” He blushes.


“Tyson is better. Now look at the bear. I understand what you are saying, Tig...Tyson has been separated from his folks and accidentally wakes the bear up but...look what happens when I cover the panel. And then after, what’s your immediate reaction on seeing the bear?”



Even he flinches. “You don’t see it when you’re drawing it.”


“And no offence, but do you have a kid?” He shakes his head. “I do. And I know that Gus would not like that. I need to speak to Mel, but before I do that, what are you going to do with this?”


“Do with it?”


“Think about what Grantham did. Get this copyrighted and I mean immediately. Even if you do nothing, make it yours.”


“Speaking of yours... I did not cook this delicious food for it to go to waste. We are eating now!”


OUTSIDE CARL’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


CARL


Judging by the hammering, one of the Novotnys is outside my door. I head to open it, pulling out my phone at the same time.


“Yes?” I ask, finding an enraged Debs just about to knock again.


“You stole my son’s home! Give it back!” She demands and tries to step inside but I put my hand up to stop her.


“Did not steal, I bought it fair, square, legal and above board. Now go away, Debs. I have warned you about your behaviour. I will have you arrested.”


“What is it today with people who claim that they love or loved me behaving like ungrateful fuckers?!”


“Reciprocating?” I query. “Now before you say another word, get back in your car and take your son and guest away from here.” I say loud enough for him to hear. I shake my head as he gets out of the car and storms down the path, almost foaming at the mouth. “Michael, go back to the car. You are not welcome here.”


“No! I want my fucking house back, right now! Get Ben on the phone and tell him to take it back off of you!”


“No. Now I am warning you two one last time. Go home!” Two pairs of arms are folded over chests and two pairs of eyes glare at me. “Have it your way.” I pull out my phone and call the precinct. “Hi yes, this is Carl, can you send a couple of cars round to my house please? There are some people creating a disturbance. Thanks.”


“I don’t believe you’ve done this!” Debs hisses at me. “After all…”


I shut the door in her face and lock it. “I would start making a move if I were you!”


LINDSAY


What are those two idiots doing?! I know I said let’s go somewhere. Naturally, I assumed they would take us to Debs’s house, but this is ridiculous! I’ve had a long fucking day and I just want to get some rest. “Come on you two, let’s just go!” I call out to them as I come down the path.


“No! I want the keys back to MY FUCKING HOUSE!” Michael screams at the top of his lungs. Unfortunately, this is not loud enough to drown out the sound of the siren of the squad cars. “Are you fucking kidding us, Carl?!”


“Excuse me Mr Novotny, Ms Novotny. You are under arrest for trespass, disturbing the peace and…”


“We’re going!” Debs says hurriedly, trying to get passed the officers but they block her path. “I said we’re going! What are you doing?!”


“Arresting you. Please try to resist.”


“And your name ma’am?” The officer asks me.


“Lindsay Peterson. Why…”


“Lindsay Peterson, you are under arrest for…”


“Wait a minute! I was trying to get them to get back in the car!” I protest as my hands are put behind my back and my rights are read to me. “Stop this! I haven’t done anything!”


“Detective Horvath!” The officer shouts and Carl opens the door. “Are these the people who have been causing you problems?”


“Yes, that’s them. Can you remove them please? I will be pressing charges.”


“Of course. See you in the morning, Detective. I think an overnight stay will cool their tempers.”


“Yeah, that should work wonders.” He retorts and with a final look of disgust at us, once again shuts the door.


“Officer, listen to me!” I argue. “I was trying to stop the argument and…”


“Let go of me!” Debs shouts as she is dragged to the squad car and Michael looks like he wants to cry.


“We’re more than happy to add resisting arrest to your charges.” He snaps.


“But my things. I…”


“We need a tow truck.” He calls out to another officer. “The car will be dropped off at the pound...mind your head, ma’am.”


“The pound! Ma, do something?!” Michael wails.


“You can't do this! Don’t you know who I am? I am the Queen of fucking Liberty Avenue! You better start job hunting because I will have your badges for this; you mark my words!”


“Of all the things you are the Queen of, Liberty Avenue is no longer it. You have long since been dethroned! Now mind your head!”


“Dethroned?! Me?! Never! Who the fuck would they replace me with anyway?!” She snaps as she finally gets in the car.


“Jennifer Taylor, a wonderful woman, who’s already made great strides in the community. Why do you think your PFLAG meetings are always so poorly attended? She’s replaced you as president!” He retorts and slams the door, almost hitting her on the head. As he gets in the front seat, he turns back to us. “The difference between your brand of caring and Jennifer’s is that she cares for the people of the Avenue, not about what future debt she can make them pay to her or for the benefit of her dastardly djinn, who really should’ve been ingested as a bad blowjob!”


We are both stunned into silence, her because of what he just said and me because of the image of her giving anyone a blowjob!

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks