- Text Size +


KINNETIC - LATE AFTERNOON


CYNTHIA’S OFFICE


DAPH


We exchange grins. Now I can understand why Brian texted me to say thank you for fixing his phone. Which I didn't do. So I figure that must have been Justin’s doing. “So what do we know about Mr Slim?”


“On paper, he’s a blueblood, good family. Went to PIFA on a scholarship, though that I don’t understand.”


“What’s wrong with a scholarship?” I frown.


“Nothing, except he didn’t need to build up the debt. His parents are seriously loaded.”


“Who are they?”


“Craig and Jennifer Taylor. They own Taylor Electronics...explains the electrical smarts.”


“So how many of us know about him and Brian?” I ask, reaching for my coffee at the same time as Ted comes in and stares at us.


“Which him and Brian? What’s going on?” He demands worriedly, sinking into the sofa next to me. I like Ted and he has Brian’s best interests at heart.


“Well this now makes 4. But there is nothing going on...well, not yet...am waiting to hear back from Ems. But it seems a certain blonde helper stayed overnight a la Loft.”


“Oh no. No, please God, no.” Ted groans, burying his head in his hands.


“And nothing happened.” Cynthia smiles and he almost slides to the floor in a puddle of relief. “They got drunk but that’s it.”


“Why would you need to hear back from Ems?” Ted frowns and I have to admit I don’t get that either.


“He ordered dinner.” Cynthia is rubbing her hands with glee. “You guys shopped. He fed him during the day; there was no need for him to order food.”


“And…” Ted prompts.


“You’ve been with Blake how long?” She laughs.


“About...oh…” Ted starts to smile.


“Help a single girl out here.” I sigh.


“Brian wanted Justin to stay. Now what we have to figure out is why.” Ted explains.


“Ooooh, it’s Ems!” Cynthia squeals and puts her phone on speaker. “Afternoon, well?!”


“Well, are we alone?”


“No, we have Daph and Ted. What happened?!” She demands.


“The feeding thing was going fine until the nasty ghastlies turned up and harangued our poor Brian…”


“Ems…” Ted warns gently.


“I know, I know. He doesn’t like sympathy. But the po...man is sick with flu and all they want to do is browbeat him. However, I digress. Seems that having certain feelings for a certain someone emboldened him and he tore a veritable strip off them and threw them out of the loft.”


“Oh that is not going to go down well.” Ted guffaws.


My phone beeps and I clap my hand over my mouth as I read the text from Carl. “Hold on, we have major developments!” I exclaim.


“What? Tell me! Oh Cynthia, Lindsay is back in the city and…”


“Got arrested along with Drama Queen and the Gimp for trespass, disturbing the peace and threatening behaviour.” I read out.


“Brian had them arrested?!” Ted exclaims.


“No. Carl did. And it seems that she’s found out about her no longer being the PFLAG president.” I answer incredulously and we all go quiet for a while.


“You do realise that all fucking hell is going break loose, don’t you? And they are somehow going to make this Brian’s fault and their mission to make him pay.” Ted’s voice is laced with bitterness and rancour.


“Yeah. But, and I hate to say it, this is not our fight.” Cynthia sighs. “It has to come from him. He’s shoring up his defences, but ultimately he has to tell them to fuck off.”


“Although it seems he’d like a little tiger or should I say Tyson to help.” Ems laughs softly.


“Tyson?” We all echo.


“Oh yes. Let me tell you about Michael’s artistic aspirations…”


JUSTIN’S DESK - AN HOUR LATER


JUSTIN


I’m seriously bushed. I can’t wait for the day to be over so I can just go home and sleep. I can still feel the heat of his hand on my thigh and the way he kissed me back...and he did kiss me back...was, well let’s just say I was glad I stopped when I did, because I was about to grind!


“Calling Justin. Come in, Justin!” Kelly clicks her fingers in my face. “Mr Kinney is on the phone for you.”


I blink for a few seconds before scrambling to put on my headset. “Mr Kinney, good afternoon. Yes, I took the boards back with me as you asked. Ah, I see. Okay, let me get them set up in the conference room. Give me about 10 minutes. Which ones am I getting?” I start to write quickly and nod. “Oh in that case, about half an hour and I will call you back.” I hang up and start to gather my things.


“He’s not coming in, is he?” Kelly pleads and looks relieved when I shake my head. “So what’s happening?”


“I need to set up a couple of the client boards so that me, Murph...and you can VC with him.”


“Oh man!” She grumbles and gathers her things.


“Be grateful that you weren’t in his loft yesterday. Now that was intense.”


“Thank you for taking one for the team.”


“You are welcome.” I reply smiling and willing my cock down!


DEBS’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


DEBS


The more I think of her idea, the more I wish I had thought of it! There is a particular relish I take in getting one over people! But now I have more pressing things to think about. I reach for my phone to check into this interloping bitch, who thinks she can replace me as president. Vote or no vote, I am the Queen of the Avenue and Brian forgiving us will soon have the Avenue remembering that!


I look up at the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs and feel so sorry for Michael. After all he did for Ben, loving him when nobody else really should’ve, and he does this to him! To us! I loved that little house. It was an oasis of tranquillity and I could impart my wisdom to their neighbours on how to be gay, not this pouffy fluffy thing they were doing. Yeah, you have kids, but have some fucking balls!


“Afternoon, Ma. No Lindsay yet?”


“No, baby. So what are we going to do about Carl? And Mel? They can’t keep the things you worked so hard for.”


“I know and I did, didn’t I?” He sighs and sits down next to me. “It’s so unfair. But at least they can’t take my comic away from me. I can’t wait for Brian and I to work on it! It’s going to be amazing and with all of his people doing as I want.”


“Hang on baby, the manageress is calling.” I sigh as I connect the call to Delores. “Yes Delores, what’s up? Uh yeah, I know we have swapped shifts. Why are you calling to remind me? Well, that’s none of people’s business and they shouldn’t be spreading shit when they don’t know the full story! Well thank you for your concern, but it is not needed. Bye now.” I snap as I cut off the call.


“What was that about?” He asks, tiredly.


“Seems some people can’t keep their fucking noses out of other people’s business! She wanted to check after last night’s overnight stay that I was able to come in and cover my shift!”


“As if she cares! She was just calling to crow and be a bitch about it.” He sneers.


“And speaking of bitches. This is the call I am most looking forward to…” I say as my phone rings and he frowns. “...the PFLAG Chairman of the City. He has some fucking explaining to do!”  I almost let it go to voicemail before putting it on speaker. “Debbie Novotny, speaking.”


“Yes, Mrs Novotny you called me. How can I help you?”


“Well for a start you can explain why I am seemingly no longer the president of the Liberty Avenue chapter of PFLAG?!” I snap.


“Because people no longer wanted you to be the President. After numerous complaints and declining numbers, we were asked to replace you and …”


“Who complained?! I never heard anything about complaints!” I disrupt his line of bullshit.


“The whole point of complaining is to get the problem resolved. Having spoken to you several times, the situation was not improving. So you were voted off in absentia.”


“You went behind my back?!” I shout.


“Mrs Novotny, do not yawp like a rabid she-wolf! You were given plenty of opportunities to explain and defend the indefensible; you merely chose not to take them. Now, if that is all…”


“Rabid?! Now just a minute, buddy! I built up this chapter and…”


“By loving them in your own inimitable way. The people of the Avenue aren’t Brian Kinney. They have not been bludgeoned into loving you like he has!” He snaps. “You gave them nothing in return apart from hectoring, lecturing, bullying and generally being a grade A pain in the ass. Your type of presidential swagger is neither wanted nor needed. Now let us part ways with dignity. I suppose we should invite you to the Inauguration Dinner for Jennifer Taylor for the official handing over of the banner…”


“Dinner? You never gave me a dinner when I became President!” I bite out.


“We didn’t have that then; we have it now. You were advised of this in the numerous newsletters you were sent.”


“I didn’t have time to read that! I was too busy helping the fags of the avenue be the balls out fags they are supposed to be!”


“You tell them, Ma!” Michael asserts.


“It’s a shame you didn’t start at home. Instead, you raised a milksop whelp, too lazy and too immersed in his own ego to do anything for himself! I don’t think we will be inviting you to the dinner after, all. You will cause too much ill will. I shall arrange for someone to come and collect all the paperwork you have in your possession and…”


“Those are mine! They’re my contacts! I built them up! I have stuff on every…”


“And that’s exactly why you cannot keep them! You would use them for personal gain! Have them prepared in readiness for collection! Goodbye, Mrs Novotny.”


I exchange incredulous looks with Michael after the call is abruptly ended. “Can you believe this shit?! After everything I have done!”


“What are you going to do now?”


“What we Novotnys always do. Fight back!” I stalk to the cabinet that I keep my files in. “I want to remain president and I will remain president! I know too much about too many people for that to not be the case!”


“That’s one of the things I love about you, Ma. You always have a plan in place.” He smiles at me. “Need any help?”


“Yeah, help me get all these files out. Let’s see what we have here to work with.” I smirk and ten minutes of huffing and puffing later, we have all my PFLAG files spread out. “Now, here’s how we’re going to...oh get that baby.” I order him as the door knocks. “It must be Lindsay.”


He pads to the door and opens it. “Is Mrs Novotny here?” A gruff voice asks and I turn towards it. I am surprised to see Granger and Horton, two of the doormen, from Babylon in my doorway.


“Hi boys, what are you doing here?” I smile at them. Michael rushes upstairs to get dressed. He’s always had a soft spot for Granger. “Come on in. Want a coffee or is it a chat with the Mother of the Avenue?”


“Actually neither. We…” Granger is interrupted by the door knocking again. “...shall I get that?”


“Oh please, honey. It’s most probably Lindsay.” I turn back to my files with a smile. “Won’t keep you long, Lindsay. Why not sit in the kitchen while I talk to my boys?”


“Because I’m not Lindsay and they are not your boys.”


I whip around and find myself gaping at the Chairman of PFLAG! “What the hell are you doing here?!” I exclaim.


“Like I said to you, have the files ready. I’m so glad you’ve not made this difficult. Right, let’s go boys.”


Fifteen minutes later, my throat is sore and my files are gone!


DINER - EARLY EVENING


KIKI


The diner is almost packed to the rafters. Everyone has heard of what happened last night, and at her house earlier, and want to know how she is going to style this out. The other thing people are crammed in here for is the date of the century! When Delores told me she asked Carl out, I was very happy but unsurprised. She’s always been a balls out kinda gal, which is why she is so loved and Debs isn’t!


I keep an eye on the door and am surprised when a well dressed lady and gentleman come in and take a seat in one of the few empty booths. Puzzled looks are exchanged by some and knowing smirks by others.


Then it happens. Debs comes in. She looks a little shell shocked but mustering her usual aplomb, she barnstorms though to the back.


“And good evening to you, too!” I shout at her, garnering laughs and it doesn’t take long for her to stalk back out while tying her apron at the same time. “Was there some problem, Debs? Delores said you might not make it in.”


“Did she indeed?! Well it was nothing for you or her to worry about! Where is she anyway? I thought one of the rules was that we had to do a shift changeover?”


“She’s just on her way. Putting the finishing touches on her outfit.” I reply.


“Well why don’t I serve some customers while you gab your mouth off!” She snarls and snatches up a pad before looking around, and then frowning when she sees the well dressed couple. She strides over to them. “Are you two lost?” She demands.


They look taken aback by her tone and at first, say nothing before the gentleman clears his throat. “No, we are looking for someone…”


“I know everyone on this Avenue, so before you try and find anyone you have to let me know who you are.” She folds her arms and starts to tap her foot...the diner starts to go quiet.


“Ah Debs, there you are sorry to keep you waiting.” Delores comes in. “Goodness! It looks like you are going to be busy tonight!”


“I’ve managed more people by myself, so I will be fine thank you, Delores! I won’t be too much longer as these people won’t be staying because…”


“Ah, you’re Delores?” The woman stands up and holds out her hand. With a frown, Delores takes it. “My name is Jennifer Taylor and this is my husband, Craig. I’m the new president of this PFLAG chapter.”


“So you are her?” Debs sneers. “Well you aren’t welcome here! This is my diner and you won’t last seconds on the Avenue!”


“It is not your diner, Debs; it never was.” Carl corrects her as he strides in. “Oh great you found it okay, then?”


“Yes, thank you.” Craig replies, not once taking his eyes off of Debs, who now starts to shift a little bit uncomfortably. “Darling, I do believe we have found the outgoing president and I can certainly see why she was voted off.”


“Craig, behave. Now, Mrs Novotny, I don’t want any animosity. I just want…”


“Too late! You slither your uppity ass in here and…”


“Are you comparing my wife to a snake? I don’t like that comparison and…”


“Darling, please. I can fight for myself.” Jennifer replies while everyone’s head swings like they are watching a tennis match. “As I was saying Mrs Novotny, me being here is the choice of the people of the Avenue. If it wasn’t me, it would be someone else.”


Ooh burn!


“Choice?! What bullshit! You most probably bought your place looking at you and your fancy duds! You…” She snaps, taking a step towards her and pointing a finger. “...most likely do not know about…”


“STEP AWAY FROM MY MOTHER, YOU FUCKING BANSHEE!” Is bellowed by a very angry looking blonde man, who stalks up to the pair of them and shoves Debs away from her.


“Your…” Delores begins and then looks at Carl. “...oh sweet hell! Are you sure you want to go to dinner? Wouldn’t you rather watch this unfold?! This is going to be better than the soaps!”


“Dinner?! What the fuck do you mean go to dinner?!” Debs bellows and you could hear a pin drop on the Avenue.


“Not that it's any of your fucking business, but since you are finally being thrown out of your pipe dream and back to reality, I will make an exception.” Delores looks at her with smug disdain. “Carl and I are having dinner together. And before you get all delusional again...yes, it is a date.”


“A DATE?!” She screeches and her face takes on a very unhealthy shade of red.


“Yes Deborah, a date” Carl replies, calmly. “I had been wanting to ask her for a while but she beat me to it. And that is all you will get to know, because after all, it is none of your business nor will it ever be. Your days as Liberty Avenue’s all knowing, all seeing Trash Heap are over.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks