- Text Size +


DEBS


I don’t know who to deal with first. But that choice is taken away from me by that rude little shit stepping closer to me. “Why are you still standing near my mother?!”


“Justin!” The bitch’s husband puts his hand on his arm. “Kindly do not shout at this...person. She is not worth the steam off of your piss.”


There is definite snickering. I glare around, but still the laughter continues. “Now, Delores, can we speak to you for a few minutes ahead of your date with this charming and helpful man?”


“You can, Mr Tay…”


“No, please call me Craig. Is there somewhere we can speak in private, if you prefer?”


“I’m happy to talk here.” She says and joins them in the booth. “Do you mind if Carl joins us?”


“Of course not. It is nice to meet you both. Now, do you mind if I lead with this, darling?” He turns to her and she is just smiling at him, like some simpleton.


“Could I stop you?”


“Not really.” He laughs. “Besides, you need to cool the fire that is our son.”


“Justin, come on let’s go for a little walk, just round the block and you can fill me in on some details…” She looks me up and down as if I am nothing and pulls him outside.


“So, Craig, what can I do for you?” Delores asks.


“Well, two things. I understand that you are the go to lady when it comes to knowing who’s who and what’s what? I am very new to this. I spend half the year abroad on business and have come back to find that not only has my son moved out of home, but he’s also come out. I mean I knew that he was gay but…” He sighs. “...I wish I could’ve been here when he told his mother and sister. But I digress. I need you to look at this list for me. It’s the inaugural dinner for Jennifer and I want to make sure that the right people are there. And also, what can you tell me about Brian Kinney?”


Delores doesn’t know Brian Kinney as well as I do!” I declare. “And like I said before, I am the person you come to, not her! She’s just the manager here whereas I’ve been on the Avenue the longest and have nurtured...”


“Oh, do be quiet! I am speaking to this lady, not Foghorn Leghorn in a bad wig!” He blasts. I can’t believe that laughter is getting louder now. “Actually Delores, may we take this to a more private place?”


“Yes, I think that would be best. Let’s use the office. Kiki, can you let Jennifer know where we are when she returns?”


“Will do!” She calls out.


“And Debs, I don’t think you are going to be as busy as you first thought.”


“And why’s that?” I demand and then look at where she’s pointing. The diner is now emptying! “Where the fuck are you lot going?!” I call out.


“Home!” One of the crowd shouts. “Show’s over for now and we don’t want to be served by you!”


“I think you should work the counter tonight Debs, don’t you? Kiki can manage those people just fine.” She all but orders me before shutting the door firmly in my face.


OUTSIDE THE DINER


JENNIFER


“Are we calmer now, sweetheart?”


“Yeah. She’s such a horrible woman!”


“The woman part, now that’s debatable.” I laugh and finally get a smile out of him. “So why is she so horrible?”


“Because she and her son are constantly mean to a guy I know but never mind all that. Where is my hug?” He demands grinning and I pull him tightly into my arms.


“Have you put on weight?” I hold him at arm’s length and look at him again. “And did you have to take that cardigan with you?”



“Why not? It’s warm and…”


“Ugly... so very ugly. I was looking forward to burning it!” I laugh at his outraged expression.


“I will pretend you never said that!” He grumbles. “Shall we go back inside?”


“Yes and you’re coming to my dinner, aren’t you? Which wasn’t a question, by the way.”


“Yes mom, of course. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” As we step back inside, I don’t see Craig but before I can ask where they are, they come out of the office, all smiles. “I take it everything went okay, Craig?”


“Yes, everything is fine. Now come on, darling. They and we have dinner plans. Lovely to meet you both again. And Kiki, Delores will tell you all about what we’ve discussed.”


“See you tomorrow, Kiki.”


“Bye Del, Carl. Have fun and that’s not all we are going to be talking about, Del!”


“Oh for heaven sake!” Delores grumbles and then stops. “So you are him, then?” She asks, looking at Justin, who frowns. “Yes, you were the person who got Brian to eat two ice cream sandwiches.” She laughs as he blushes. “Ems told me.” Which causes Justin to gasp. “And you’ve just realised, haven’t you?” He nods and she smiles and again we’re all frowning. “He forgot to email the recipe to Ems.” She explains. “Ems didn’t have your contact details. He obviously couldn’t ask Brian…”


“Thank you so much, um…”


“Delores and I don’t think you’ve met Carl, have you?”


“No. Nice to meet you the both of you.” My little WASP prince replies. I watch Debs glower at him and decide she’s not going to get away with that!


“And you are staring at him like that because?” I demand.


“Mom, come on let’s just leave it. Like dad said, not worth the steam off of my piss.”


“You want to take me on?!” Debs demands.


“Time and place, Foghorn. Just name it and I’ll be there!” She doesn’t say anything at all just tries and fails to give me the stink eye. “I pity the poor cat that got your tongue. Heaven knows where that organ has been!” I shudder delicately. “Well it was lovely to meet most of you. Have a lovely evening.” I trill, leading a giggling Justin and Craig out along with Delores and Carl.


DEBS’S HOUSE - POST SHIFT


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


“What do you mean that the shit who was in the loft is her son? Whose son?!” I demand, exasperated at her nonsensical raging.


“Jennifer Taylor’s, the President-Elect, cos I am not out yet, of PFLAG. He’s her son!”


“Not sure why you are upset about him being her son though.”


“Because, Michael, she came to the diner, my haven, to find Delores of all people! I made it clear that she should leave, but then he got in my face again just like he did in the loft and…” She takes a breath. “...the final insult is that Delores and Carl are on a fucking date!”


“A date as in with each other?!” I laugh and then realise she’s really pissed about this. “Why are you upset about this? You two are no longer together, thank God.”


“I am upset, Michael, because she is systematically taking things from me. First, the title of manager and now, she’s asking Carl out…”


“She asked him?”


“Yes, and she beat him to it according to him!” She growls. “And he was asking about Brian.”


“Who was asking about Brian? He works for him. What did…”


“Not the son; the father was asking Delores if she knew Brian as she’s the go to person on the Avenue…”


“What a crock of shit!” I spit and fold my arms, tapping my foot. “So what did he want with Brian?”


“Don’t know. They took the conversation to the office.” She sighs. “It was dead in there, too.”


“Was it? When I dropped you off, it was heaving.”


“Yeah but it emptied after the floor show of them picking on me in front of the diners.”


“You should report her to the owner!” I declare, triumphantly. “She would do exactly that to you.”


“But it wasn’t Delores that was saying it. It was the whelp, the bulldog and the bitch.”


“Then report the son to Brian. For all intents and purposes, you’re his mother, after all! And then complain about them to the Chairman of PFLAG. He should be able to do something!”


“Good idea. After we say sorry to Brian tomorrow, then we tell him what happened. But right now, I am going to bed.”


OUTSIDE BRIAN’S LOFT - MID-MORNING


LINDSAY


“Brian, can we please go inside and speak to you? This is far too public for this discussion, especially in front of people it has nothing to do with.” I look pointedly at Daphne.


“No. Say what you three want to say so I can get to work. I’m already running late.”


“Brian, come on. Let’s go inside!” Michael says firmly and I wish he would let the grown ups talk.


“I said no. Now either speak or leave.” He goes to put his briefcase down, but changes his mind and then walks around me. “Daph, can you take...” I put my hand on his arm, but he shakes it off and then Michael stands in front of him.


“We want to talk to you inside and now!”


“Sweetheart, come on. It won’t take a minute.” Debs pleads and he sighs...got him!


“After you.” He orders us in ahead of him. “Come on, Daph.” He calls out and she is quickly inside. “This is as far as you go. What do you want to say?”


Ah, this is not quite going to plan but we’ll have to go with it!


“We have come to apologize. All three of us have come to say sorry for what we’ve done to you lately.”


“Then say it.” He retorts.


“I’m sorry Peter, for everything. I was going through so much and I took it out on you. You have always been able to take my shit and I am sorry that I did what I did.”


“I’m sorry too, Sweetheart. So is Michael. He was...”


“He can speak. I just heard him.” Daphne interrupts.


“Brian, I’m sorry for how I’ve behaved lately. But with…”


“Is that all?” Daphne again interrupts and I want to glare at her, but don’t.


“Don’t you have something to say, Brian?” Michael asks. “I mean, about our apologies.”


“Not really.”


I frown. “Why not?”


“Because I have more important things to have a say on.” I hear the sound of the elevator and Graham steps out. “Like asking Graham to make sure that you leave the building. Daph, come on. We’re now running very late.”


“But, Sweetheart!” Debs calls out but he almost flies to the car in his haste to get away from us.


“Once again, you need to vacate the building.”


“Come on, let’s go to the diner. I’m hungry and besides, I want to hear about last night!” Debs returns to her combative self while Michael’s expression turns sullen as it always does when Brian doesn't do what he wants him to.


“What about last night?” I sigh as we trudge down the stairs.


“I was bullied and humiliated!” Debs snarls. “And I am not putting up with that shit!”


DINER - AN HOUR LATER


DELORES


I still can’t believe how good last night was and judging by the speed with which Kiki is approaching, she is determined to hear and hear now!


“Wait, let me get myself a coffee!” She declares and grabs a cup of the stuff we keep for Brian. We have had to put it in a different jar now as Debs declared it to too fancy for the diner then took it home with her… ‘a perk,’ she said. Thankfully, it wasn’t his Blue or he would definitely have fired her, but it’s the next best one.


“Okay, begin...oh God, why is she here?!” Kiki sighs. “Want to go to the office?”


“What for? I haven’t done anything wrong. She wants to eavesdrop let her.” I reply as Debs, Michael and their friend make a point of sitting right behind us.


“So after Debs got the dressing down from the Taylors and you guys left, what happened?”


“Well, we went to Altius and…”


“Altius?!” She exclaims at the same time as Debs almost growls. She’s so put out although I don’t know why. He wouldn’t have taken her anyway!


“Yes. We had a dinner and dance there. It was a friend’s birthday…it was black tie and I was so nervous.”


“Nervous? You? What for?” She demands.


“First time I’ve brought someone…”


Start of flashback

ALTIUS


DELORES


“You’ve never brought a date before Delores!” Mamie exclaims. “Who is that fine strip of sirloin?”


“Mamie! Keep your voice down! And stop pointing! I will introduce you when he comes back.”


Us. You are going to introduce us. I’m going to gather the girls!” She declares and totters off at quite an impressive speed considering her heels and the glossiness of the flooring.


I find myself briefly wishing I hadn’t brought him but then he comes walking back to me with a smile on his face and laughter in his eyes. “What’s so funny?” I ask, taking the cloakroom ticket off of him.


“Never been called a fine strip of sirloin before.” I feel my face heat up. “Thank you for not disputing that though.”


“You’re welcome.” I chuckle. “So before I throw you into the den of my devilish friends, do you want to come?”


“Can I ask you this time?” He teases.


“Of course. But it is next week so…”


“Will you come to the President’s Dinner with me next Thursday?”


“Yes, I would be delighted to attend.”


“Ahem! Do I hear another date being set before you have even finished this one?” Mamie bustles up with all the girls and a tray of champagne. “Now let us get comfortable and you can introduce us to…”


“The fine strip of sirloin, that is Carl.” He interrupts her grinning while she giggles in delight. “I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Mamie. Shall I take that from you? I think I will need most of them.” Soon he’s charming all of them and Mamie has invited us to Sunday dinner and demanding he brings a single friend for a lonesome person she knows. “I promise to find someone for your friend.” He winks at her. “Shall I get some more champagne, ladies?” He doesn’t wait for an answer and just goes to the bar with the tray.


“Do you think he knows it’s me?” Mamie asks, for once, quietly.


“Uh yes.” I snicker and she pokes her tongue out.


“So how’s the old bat in your belfry?” Gladys asks. “How in hell he was with her, I have no idea.”


“Gladys, for heaven sake!” Mamie berates her before turning to me. “But since she asked.”


“Tiresome, so very tiresome! But it’s Brian, I feel sorry for. He’s had the flu and is so run down; he actually collapsed and…”


“Oh, Jesus! Should we go and see him?” Gladys exclaims.


“Let him get his strength back first. You geese gaggling around him might be too much for him in his delicate state!” I chuckle.


“Oh piffle!” Mabel snorts. “That man needs a good feed and some good loving. And not from that Braindumbnumbskull!”


“Braidumb...oh riffing, on Rumplestiltskin. I like it!” Carl puts the drinks tray down. “Just remind me not to say it to him!”


“Oh double piffle. Things need to be said to some folk!” Mabel retorts.


“As a matter of interest, how do you all know Brian?” He asks.


“We came to be supportive her first week and met him then. Such an absolute sweetheart. Just needs loving properly.”


“Oh yes, he does indeed. He has so much to give that’s the thing.” I sigh and Carl nods.


“Now come-come we must drink, make merry, toast the birthday girl and generally enjoy!” Cissy, said birthday girl, stands up. “And the first dance of the evening with Carl is with me. Birthday Girl privilege!”


“Hand him back in the manner he was given to you then that’s fine.”


“Oh that means I get to kiss him, then!” She beams.


I gape at her. “And how do you work that out?”


“Well, you’ve not kissed him and since he’s not been kissed that means he can be and…”


“Oh, let me remedy that!” I bridle then take Carl’s head in my hands and plant one on his lips.


“Delores and Carl sitting in a tree. K…”


“Button it!” I chide her and drag Carl back to the bar. “I am sorry about that. I am not normally so…”


“Oh, don’t be. Now if you want to take this to a darkened corner and…”


“Carl Horvath!” I stare at him. “That’s what the ride home is for!”


“Just making sure we’re on the same page.” He chuckles before leaning in and kissing me softly. “So shall we go back to the maddening crowd?”


“Yes.” I take his arm and we head back to the grinning girlies.

End of flashback


KIKI


“Oh, sounds so romantic and did you use the car for that purpose?” I have been smirking at the snorting, huffing, puffing and grunting from the table behind.


“Yes and we will be using it next week, too. And that reminds me, we have been asked to ask if you want to come to the dinner as well.”


“The PFLAG Presidential Dinner? Me? Why me?”


“That’s what I’d like to know.” Debs mutters just loud enough for us to hear, but we ignore her. I have worked out that ignoring her drives her nuts!


“Jennifer and Craig want you to come as she wants a representative from the transgender community. They would like to talk to you about being on her board.”


“Me?!” I gasp again.


“Yes, you. She wants us both on the board. That’s what Craig was talking to me about.”


“What did he want with Brian?” I ask and can actually hear their ears pricking up.


“He’s inviting him to the dinner, both as a high profile, successful businessman and that he’s also out and proud. He’s quite the coup. They hope I can use my charm to persuade him.”


“What did you say to that?”


“I will do my best.” She smiles and there is a glint in her eye. “Seems that he’s allowed to bring a guest. Wonder who he will ask…”


LINDSAY, DEBS AND MICHAEL


PFLAG dinner? I am going to get Brian to take me!


KINNETIC - THREE DAYS LATER


CONFERENCE ROOM


BRIAN


I am finally well enough to be in the office. I was sent straight home when I tried to get into work on apology day. Unfortunately, for Mr Slim, I was proved right and he did indeed get my cold...I mean flu and has been off sick. But he’s back in now and wearing that godawful cardigan again.


“Mr Slim, how are you feeling?”


“Much better, thanks.” He replies, but he doesn’t look happy.


“Problem?”


“Not really. I just had a run in at the diner before I got sick and it’s been playing on my mind a bit.”


“With who and why?”


“DQ but I can’t understand how angry she makes me.”


“Don’t worry about it. She has that effect on most people.”  


“Not on you.” He points out, huffily. “You say nothing.”


“I pick my battles.”


“Really? When?!” He demands and I can’t understand why he is so cross.


“When I need to fight them.”


“Hmm. Well if you don’t need me for anything else here, I need to finish drawing up the Cardant Lighting pitch.”


“No, Mr Sulky Pants, you can go.” I retort and stalk passed him to my office.


JUSTIN


You freaking fucking fool, what did you behave like that for?!


As I head morosely back to my desk, I hear the familiar tones of a WASP and get curious as to who it is.


“No Ms Peterson, he is not seeing anybody this afternoon other than his scheduled meetings.”


So that’s Lindsay, is it?


“But this is urgent! I need to…”


“Lindsay? Lindsay Peterson is that you?” I shrink back against the wall and close my eyes against the nightmare that is becoming my day today.


“Craig? Craig Taylor? Yes, it is me! How are you and your lovely wife and family?”


“Very well, thanks. I thought you lived in Canada. You are a long way from home. How are Mel and the children?”


“I did, but am moving back. I am in the middle of a separation from Mel. Unfortunately, she…”


“Did what? What did I do, Lindsay? And be careful how you answer that.” Mel’s voice drips ice and then I remember what’s happening today. No no no!


“Melanie, what are you doing here?”


“None of your business. Shelley, may I go straight through?”


“Of course, Mel. Mr Taylor, if you’d like to take a seat, he won’t be long. Would you like a coffee?”


“Thank you, Shelley. I’d love one.” While I watch her go to the kitchen, I am so busy trying to figure out what to do, that I don’t realise that I am starting to pace and of course, my dad sees me! “Justin? Justin, what are you do...”


“Mr Taylor! How lovely to meet with you again!” I stride over confidently and take his hand. “I am so pleased that you wanted to see the pitch again. Mr Kinney has asked me to take you to the conference room and I can start the secondary preliminaries. Could you follow me please?!”


“Of course, Mr…”


“Justin. Please call me Justin!” I exclaim and start to drag him to the conference room.


CONFERENCE ROOM


CRAIG


“Not only are you wearing that godawful cardigan, but that was the worst acting I have ever seen. Secondary preliminaries! What was that about? And seriously, take that thing off!”


“Why are you here?” I gabble, taking off my cardigan.


“I have a business lunch with Ted Schmidt.”


“Dad, please listen to me! You don’t know me. You’ve never met me in your life, don’t… Ted? You have a meeting with Ted?”


“Yes. He was recommended by a friend to diversify our portfolio so I’m trying to persuade him. Are you alright, son? You look like you’re going to be sick.”


“No, no I’m fine. It’s definitely Ted?”


“Yes and I’m going to be late and Shelley is going to wonder where I have gone. Justin? Justin?”


“Yes, sorry. I’ll call and explain this evening, I promise.”


“Can I also get you to promise to burn that cardigan?”


“Why don’t people like my cardigan?” I grump defensively.


“Again, it is ugly. Now I have to go.”


When we go back out to reception, Shelley is looking relieved and confused. “Uh…”


“He was looking for the bathroom and got lost.” I tell her and while dad snorts in indignation, he does nod.


“Ted, Mr Taylor is back in reception.” Shelley buzzes him and soon they are gone.


“What happened to L...the blonde lady? There was a blonde lady just now.”


“She saw Daph and left.” Shelley laughs and I smile for the first time today.


“Justin.” Cyn calls down the hall. “Brian wants to see you.”


Sighing, I trudge down the corridor to hear him say he doesn’t want to write with me anymore after that bratty display.


BRIAN’S OFFICE


MEL


Oh what a beauty cutie! I look up as Justin slowly comes in but for someone so cute, he sure looks miserable.


“Mr Slim, allow me to formally introduce you to Melanie Marcus. Melanie Marcus, this is Justin Taylor.”


“Nice to meet you, Melanie.”


“As you know, we were going to have a meeting about the copyright of the Tiger Who Found His Roar but…” Justin seem to be bracing himself for something. “...there is no need for such a meeting. Turns out that one of the agreements that we signed was the copyright. So this will be a partnership meeting instead. Now Justin, if you….Cynthia!” Brian bellows as Justin slumps to the ground in a dead faint.


JUSTIN


I open my eyes and look around the room. “Why am I here?” I ask, sitting up slowly.


“You fainted.” Brian says, coming into the room.


“I know that, but why am I here in your loft?”


“It was the closest place I knew with a bed and that wasn’t a hospital.” He replies quietly before handing me a glass of water. “Drink it slowly. And then you can tell me what the fuck that was all about?”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks