- Text Size +


JUSTIN


As he plunders my mouth, his words bounce around my skull...need to...need to...he needs to kiss me! I would be happy dancing, amongst other things, except I do need to breathe! My nose is still a little blocked. I wind my fingers into his hair, his wonderfully soft hair, and start to tug gently.


“Need to breathe?”


“Still a little blocked.” I murmur. “But I’m fine now.” I give his hair another tug and he chiggles as he lowers his head once more.


“Bossy little Tigger.” He whispers, feathering the inside of my mouth with his tongue. I reciprocate the gesture, he growls and pulls me tighter to him.


“Still need to breathe, Mr Kinney.”


“Don’t. Not now.” He tilts my chin up. “Okay?”


“Still need to breathe...Brian.” I roll the R in his name just a little bit and he twitches. “No rolling?”


“No Tigger, no rolling.” He sighs and then loosens his hold, but doesn’t let go. So I take a chance and slide my hands down to his waist. “This is nice.” He murmurs; I look up puzzled. “I don’t normally get hugged by anyone but Gus. It’s a nice change for it not to be round my knees.”


“Do you want to sit down?”


“Do you want to sit in my lap again, Tigger?”


“Am I that easy a read?” I smile.


“Well that, and, you are pressing against my thigh.”


“You are pressing against my hip.” I point out.


“Are we seriously going to get into a round of whose dick is bigger?”


“The answer is yours, so the argument is moot.” I murmur, inhaling his scent.


“Do you have whisky?” I nod. “Where?” I point to the cart and he shuffles us around and sits me on the sofa. “Do you want one?”


“Please.”


BRIAN


Although everything is saying ‘this is a bad idea,’ I pour two large glasses and then stare at the bottle. I frown and pull out my phone. I put in a reminder to call Woody’s tomorrow...need to check something. I hand him his drink and sit down.


“So why don’t you want it handed to you?”


“Dad and mom worked hard to make Taylor Electronics what it is. Yes, I know the business, but it’s their business. I want to work to get something that’s mine. Does that make sense?”


“Absolutely. But why Kinnetic? With your resume, which I did read as I have the final say on all hiring, you know with it being my company and all; you could’ve gone anywhere. Vanguard, for example.”


“Oh fuck off with that idea! He’s an arrogant boor and his ideas are crap. I almost fell asleep during the interview as he banged on about himself. He didn’t even read my resume.”


“So why go to the interview?” I laugh at the image he has planted in my mind.


“Curious. Once you had gone, I wondered what he had done to the place, if he had moved on, grown, got better and…”


“He hadn’t?” I question.


“If anything, he has retreated further into the cave of mediocrity.” He grouches. “I could not believe some of the clients that he still has. I thought Kelly had enough smarts to put loyalty last. I mean, their market share hasn’t improved and I know she is losing…”


“Kelly who?” I can feel my heart burst with admiration at his passion for things and begin to wonder if...stop right there!


“De Capio of De Capio Vineyards. Every time I see that advert, I switch off. I mean, I literally have to switch the TV off.


“You know her?” I can feel my heart hammering in my chest for a completely different reason. It would be absolutely wonderful to get them off of Vance!


“Not personally, no. My mom does from being of the same country club set. Knows the whole family. They...”


“The whole family?” I echo.


“Mmm.” He takes a sip of his whisky and then starts to smile. “They, if you had let me finish Mr Kinney, are rapidly losing their very Italian patience with the continued stagnation of their market share. They are very passionate about their businesses. Having seen your eyes light up, I wonder if you could do something about that?”


“But that…” I take the glass off of him. “...if I do something about it, could impact upon you.”


“It could?” He asks, straddling my lap with an impish grin. “Howsoever would that be?”


I wince at his phrasing and he smirks. “You are no longer a polyhistor, you are a philistine.”


“That’s as maybe but howsoever will it impact upon me?”


“Well, if this works as I want it to and it will, it means that you and I will be working very closely together. Sometimes long hard hours and deep into the...night. Would that cause a problem for you, Mr Slim?”


“It will be a pleasure to work underneath you, sir.” He replies. “I will do whatever you want...or need me to do.”


“I need you to get up so that I can go home and call your mother!” I swat his butt. He gives a little pout but does get up. “Goodnight, Mr Slim. I shall see you tomorrow.” With a chaste kiss to his lips, I make my way out vowing to have the coldest shower known to man when I get home!


OUTSIDE THE LOFT - AN HOUR LATER


BRIAN


Cold shower no longer needed! Outside the loft, glaring mutinously at each other are Debs, Michael and Lindsay...in separate spots. Delores had told me that they had eavesdropped on her dating recap, and even Gus could work out in his sleep why they are here. But let’s bait them a bit...I just can’t resist the temptation.


“Oh, Sweetheart! What happened to your hand?!” Debs exclaims with motherly concern. “Need me to look at it for you?”


“Ma, stop crowding him! He’s fine!” Michael marches up to us, glaring at her but smiling beatifically at me. “So how’s my best friend been? Have you recovered from your little cold?”


I tense up briefly at his casual use of words. He’s always been like this ever since I sought refuge in his home. It was always ‘ma, it’s only a little cut...just a bruise...just a sprain...just a headache.’ I do nothing but nod and wait for Lindsay to join the fray. But she’s smarter than that...well for smarter read more duplicitous.


“So to what do I owe the pleasure of your company...it’s like the Three Kings coming to visit to newborn Jesus but instead of him, you have the spawn of Satan. I believe that’s how you once described me, Mother dear.


“I, uh, was joking. You know what I’m like… what we’re like. We’re family, always joking together.”


“No, not really. But to answer my question…”


“I was just wondering what you were doing this week? We haven’t caught up in ages.”


“Really? I vividly remember the last time all four of us were together. It got the kink out of your hair, didn’t it Lindz?”


“What’s that, Brian?” She asks, finally approaching as I knew she would. Her modus operandi barely changes. Hang back and wait to be called forward; give the other two the impression that you are wanted and they are not.


“Her Lady Blitzkrieg. Seems a 10,000 volts is the way to go. How’s Gus?” Her face falls before I turn my gaze to Michael and Debs. “And Jenny, how is she doing?”


Silence.


“Well that was stimulating. Now excuse me, I have to call Jennifer Taylor and tell her who I am taking to the Inaugural PFLAG Dinner. Hopefully, he has his tux nicely pressed with it being black tie and all.” Michael stands just that little bit taller upon hearing that while Lindsay and Debs fume. “Well goodnight, then.”


“Brian, why don’t I bring my things over so that I can get dressed here? Unless you’re going straight from Kinnetic.”


“I’m not sure where I’m going to be. You do what you think is best.” I reply and then with a swift wave, head up to the loft.


MICHAEL


“Best friend will always trump a mother and ex-mother.” I crow and head back to my car. I didn’t take a cab like those two, so I got here first. I am always first where Brian is concerned.


FOURTH FLOOR LOFT


BRIAN


Now that I have finally composed myself, I can put the call in. “Hey, how you doing? What are you doing tomorrow night? Nothing. How would you like to go to dinner with me?” I almost punch the air in malicious delight when he says yes. “Great, it’s black tie. Do you still fill your suit out?”


Twenty minutes later, I have three things: the telephone number of the head of the De Capio family together, a promise from Jennifer to let him know to expect my call and an appointment at the spa before the dinner.


I head downstairs to the 2nd floor having made sure that the bickering twosome known as Lindsay and Debs have finally gone. While they were arguing with each other, they were both casting filthy looks up at the loft, where I was conveniently framed in the window. Once I’m inside, I decide to call Woody’s and now 15 minutes later, I have my earlier suspicions confirmed and an idea to say thank you to that little Tigerish Tigger...I mean Mr Slim!


DINER - EARLY THURSDAY EVENING, AN HOUR BEFORE INAUGURAL DINNER


DELORES


I roll my eyes as for about the 4th time as Kiki adjusts her dress and then looks at me for confirmation that she looks okay! Carl is trying not to laugh at the preening, pouting and seething that is happening between Michael, Debs and Lindsay. He announced to the diner this morning that he is being taken to the dinner as Brian’s guest and Debs just about pulled a proud look onto her face.


“I suppose you three are taking a cab there?” Michael calls out to us, but we decide to ignore him. The diner goes completely silent when the door opens and in walks Ben Bruckner, looking very handsome in a dark blue gabardine coat that does wonders for his eyes.



“What the fucking hell are you doing here?!” Debs and Michael shriek at the same time.


“Carl, Delores, how lovely to see you both. You are looking very well. Kiki, you look gorgeous. How have you been?”


“Fine, Ben, just fine.” She stammers. “Canada clearly agrees with you. You look... well, you look hot! Not hot! Smoking hot! Where did you get that coat from, it fits you perfectly!”


“Thanks.” He grins and blushes before taking a seat next to me. “It’s Armani. And I didn’t get it, Brian bought it for me and sent it back with Mel. Early birthday present.”


“We asked you a question, Ben!” Michael shouts, getting up to confront him, from at least 6 feet away!


“Which since I am no longer part of your life, and you are thankfully no part of mine, I am refusing to answer.” He replies.


“Where is my granddaughter?!” Debs demands.


“Yes, where is Jenny? Are you out of my house now?” Lindsay barks out like Michael, being brave from afar!


“Ask her mother. She can supply the answer to both those questions. Oh and before you ask about Gus...ask his mother about that, too. Though the last time I saw him, he was having a lovely time with his new dog, Tyson.”


“Dog? Who got him a dog and why wasn’t I informed?” She exclaims.


“So how was the date? It must have been good as I hear since this is your second one.” Ben turns to me and I nod.


“When did Gus get a dog?” Carl asks.


“Only recently. Mel got him a puppy, cute little thing.”


“Now listen, you...” Lindsay starts again, only to be interrupted again by Ben talking over her.


“Here, this is him. Isn’t he cute? Gus spent the first night curled up with him in his basket.”



“Aww, he is adorable!” Carl gasps. “Is that outside their new place?”


“I demand to see that picture!” Lindsay shouts, pushing her way passed Michael. But then damn near runs back behind him when the door opening brings in Daphne. “I will call Mel directly and deal with that!”


“Well, I suppose you are my ride.” Michael says gracelessly and steps out from the booth. He pauses just before he passes Ben. “I don’t know why you are here, or what you think you have done with the store and the house, but you and I are going to sit down and get this shit reversed!”


“No, I’m not.”


“Yes, you are, Ben!” He snaps.


“I didn’t speak to you. Daphne did.” Ben retorts, standing up.


“What are you not?” He frowns.


“Your ride. I am their ride. Are you guys ready? Ben, Brian said he would meet you at the bar. He’s had to have a quick meeting.”


“Oh, that’s fine. I think we’re all ready to go.”


“Great.”


“Wait a minute! What the hell is going on here?! Where are you going that involves Brian meeting you?!” Michael has gone an unattractive shade of purple and people are shielding themselves from his gun-fire spittle showering them.


“With them to the PFLAG Presidential Dinner as Brian’s date.” Ben smiles. “Seems he was short one and gave me a call. I am more than happy to be his plus one...though the last time I was this gussied up and he was there, I was all in white. Good times.”


“Come on guys, we are going to be late. The traffic is already getting heavy.” Daph is making no attempt to stop grinning at the gurning that is happening on Michael’s face. “Oh by the way, Michael, you look very nice. Where are you going?”


“I tho...thought that I was…” He stutters as people start to chuckle in the face of his humiliation.


“Hmm. Well, it seems a previous fuck beats a best friend who is also a never gonna happen fuck!” Ben chuckles.


Michael gulps, then makes a strangulated noise before rushing to the bathroom. I do believe he is crying!


“Now look what you two have done!” Debs yells at him. “Are you happy?!”


“Yep. Incredibly so. Can’t wait for the next time I feel this way!” Ben calls out crisply to her retreating back before turning back to us and offering Kiki his elbow. “Now shall we? Daph, you look gorgeous, by the way!”


“Thanks! I have a blind date tonight, so nervous, but Brian says he’s going to be a perfect gentlemen.”


“A date?!” Lindsay gasps. “He had a ticket for you, as well?!”


“No, I got her a ticket.” I reply, enjoying the mottled appearance her face changes to. “And he will be a perfect gent, Daphne, or he will answer to his Momma, who would be me.”


“Oh!” Lindsay gasps and Daphne goes wide eyed.


“Oh indeed! Was there anything else you wanted to bother us with or can we go now?”


“How can you betray us like that Ben? After all we have done for you!” Debs comes storming back out again. “We gave you a family, we gave you love even though you are nothing but an infectious, rotten to the core...” Debbie stops as the diner goes quiet again.


“Love, Ms Novotny?” Ben asks, deadly calm. “All you and your whiny offspring ever did was drain the energy out of me with your demands and your evilness. You wouldn't know what love is, especially as you don’t even love yourself! I mean think about it...what is there to love about you?!”


“Come on, Son. Let’s just go. Don’t let them ruin our evening. That's what the pathetic and petulant posse wants. Let them be miserable by themselves, while we have a good time without giving them a second thought.” Carl says and puts a hand on his shoulder.


“Son?! You call him son?! But my poor Michael has…”


“Will never be loved more by anyone, but himself! No, not even you love your son, if you look at things in the cold light of day. Hell, I don’t believe you even like him!” Daphne yells at her and the first thing Debs does is look at her hands. “Oh don’t worry, I don’t have my Lady with me. I can blitzkrieg you without her! As I was saying, at the end of the day, you two are the only people, and I use that term loosely, you have and that is better than nothing. Not by much, but just enough!”


“And we have wasted enough time on them! Let’s go now!” Carl orders firmly and putting his hand on the small of Ben’s back as he gently steers him out.


INSIDE CAR TO INAUGURAL DINNER


CARL


I have nothing but admiration for the man. He held it together all that time. Now Delores is stroking his hair and muttering soothing words, while Daph is regretting not packing her Mini Krieger!


“I don’t know why I am so upset. It’s not as if I didn’t know she felt this way.”


“True. Now, you are going to dry your tears. You are going to cool your jets. And we are all going to have a great time tonight. We will take lots of pictures and make sure they are dotted around the diner. In fact, I am pretty sure that Brian will insist on it!” Kiki cackles as she checks her appearance again.


“Why?” Ben frowns; Carl and I exchange looks and then I nod.


“He owns the diner.” Carl waits for his response and it is not long in coming.


“I fucking knew it!” He explodes before roaring with laughter. “Oh my god, the drama when she finds out after he fires her...wait! He is going to fire her, right? Please let me be there!”


“How did you know it?” I ask.


“There is no way on god’s great earth that anyone other than someone who has been loved by her would keep her employed. So he’s doing it to keep her away from everyone else?”


“When did you suspect?”


“When we were in Woody’s the night that Michael found out about the White Party.” He replies, his face wreathed in a slightly malevolent smile. “Oh, this has made my night. No, it’s made my year!”


DINER - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


DEBS


When those fuckers left having completely humiliated us all, I decided to close the diner. I will explain it away as illness and Delores not leaving me with enough coverage. Not that there was a lot of people here to serve anyway. Once that lot left, half the diner crowd went with them...


Start of flashback

DINER - 50 MINUTES EARLIER


DEBS


I stare at the empty space where those cunts...yes, they are cunts...were.  


“Well that was funny! So much for ‘listen up, you losers. I have a dinner date with The Stud. Who knows where it will lead to!’  The answer is the same place it always leads to...back to the realm of fantasy and that unfinished handjob!” Someone says, but I can’t see who it is. If I could I would slap them so hard their dentist would be a rich man!


“You think that’s funny?!” I bellow.


“Well yeah, it kinda is.” Cheryl, one of the part time wait staff replies.


“Oh yes and just how is it funny to you?!” I demand.


“Simple. He, no both of you, coast along the Avenue giving it large, as my nephew says, and in your case very large, because you know Brian. But you don’t really know Brian, just like you don’t even really know your own son.”


“And what is that supposed to mean?! Of course, I know Michael. I birthed him!”


“Then you would know that he doesn’t like Brian, won’t you? I doubt he has ever since he came into your lives.”


“He’s his best friend, of course he likes him! In fact, he loves him!” Lindsay snaps and I nod in agreement. “You obviously don’t understand the dynamics of their friendship.”


“You can love someone all you want, but even a blind man can see that the dynamics of their friendship is deeply seated in jealousy. Michael doesn’t like him because he came between him and his wet nursing momma every time!”


“You’re fired!” I bellow.


“No, I am not.” She replies calmly as she takes off her apron. “What I am is leaving for the rest of the evening, and I will tell the owner and Delores exactly why. You forget, Mrs Temporary Assistant Manager, you have no power here. And what little power you do have is flickering like a candle in a hurricane.”


“If she goes, then I go.” Thom, the chef calls out from behind me. “And if I go then that means you cook, so you might as well shut the diner now. Nobody likes your cooking.”


“Ma?” Michael comes out sniffling, his face blotchy and eyes red...and someone laughs and that’s it.


“All of you can fuck off! This place is closed for the night!”


“With pleasure!” Comes a shout and ten minutes later, the place is closed.


“Michael, honey, sit down and let me get you a coffee.” I tell him soothingly.


“I don’t need a coffee, Ma!” He shrieks. “I need Brian and Ben to fucking explain themselves and then grovel at my feet, begging for my forgiveness! Do you think they were having an affair in reality?!”


“Of course…”


“Ar-fucking-mani, Ma! He got him an Armani fucking coat! He’s never gotten me anything designer...nothing!”


“Now Michael, that’s not…”


“NOTHING!” He roars, making Lindsay and I back away as he spitting fury and saliva everywhere. “I shelled out on this fucking suit and can’t take it back!”


“Why not?” Lindsay asks with a slight, sly smile playing round her lips. “It’s not as if you wore it to any place special.”


“Look!” He screams and shows us the elbow, which is torn.


“How did you manage that?” I sigh, approaching to see what can be done, but it’s torn all the way through.


“Caught it on the door. Can we just go home now?” His eyes fill with tears and once again, I curse the day he ever met him...actually them...both Brian and Ben!

End of flashback


PFLAG PRESIDENTIAL DINNER, CARNEGIE MELLON MUSIC HALL - AN HOUR LATER


JUSTIN


I am so proud of my parents! I really wish I could take a picture of them right now and then draw it for them. Dad has so many of my drawings in his study. My phone buzzing brings me out of my musings and it’s from dad: Please stop looking so damn proud. You are going to make me cry! And my mascara is not waterproof! I snort with laughter and look across at him and he’s grinning at me. Twit! I text back.


“Ladies and gentlemen! Ladies and gentlemen!” The MC calls out. “Now that the Pittsburgh traffic has, finally, decided to be nice, our guests have arrived!”


I make my way over to my folks for the formal introductions and zone out for a bit. It’s always the same, put out hand, smile, introduce yourself, thank them for coming and next! And there is always one, always fucking one, who hangs on that little bit longer. Time for Frosty Smile to come out to play.


“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr Taylor.”


“I…” I just stare at Brian.


“Brian Kinney, I run Kinnetic.”


“I…”


“Allow me to introduce my guest. This is Benjamin Bruckner. He teaches Gay Studies at Toronto University. He was a Professor here, but is now on a teacher’s exchange.”


“I…”


“We will see you during the reception. I look forward to finding out all about you.”


“You…”


As I stare at his retreating back, all I can think of is he brought a date to dinner. He didn't even ask me!


FORTY MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Not only does he look miserable, but he’s not answered any of my texts and any attempts to talk to him are firmly rebuffed by him stalking off in the opposite direction.


“Mr Kinney, is there a problem between you and my son?” Craig asks me, quietly.


“Yes. I think a trick I played on him has backfired somewhat.”


“Ah, give me a minute.” He smiles at me and I am surprised. “He has moments of inappropriate firebranding.”


“Yes, I had noticed that.”


“Gets it from his mother.”


I watch him walk across the room and then turn to Ben as he clears his throat. “So want to hear what happened in the...correction in your diner?”


“Oh yeah!” I smirk and we clink glasses.


CRAIG


There are times that I despair of my son’s genetic composition. He get his looks from his mother, his smarts from both of us, but oh boy, does he get his temper from his mother’s entire side of the family. He could start an argument alone in a paper bag but I love the bones of him, especially as he’s stubbornly determined. Yes, he gets that from her, too. He’s set on making his own way in the world. He was majorly pissed off when I found out where he was living and bought the building, but he had to concede that as good as the area was, the building was in need of repair and refurbishment.


“Justin, might I have a word?” He doesn’t say anything just follows me. “Whatever you think is happening with Mr Kinney and his guest is not happening.”


“What?” He almost breaks his neck jerking his head up to look at me.


“I think I have worked it out. But before you start to growl, I will stay out of it. Talk to him, calmly, now go up there. There’s a balcony that will afford you some discretion, but talk to him. Please?” He nods. “Go on up. I will send him to you in five minutes. And whatever you do, don’t tell your mother!” That, at least, gets a smile before he heads the way I pointed and I go back to Mr Kinney. I have to say, he does have good taste!


BALCONY - 5 MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


He is flicking his fingers. He always flicks his fingers when he is skittish. “Justin.” I call out quietly and he slowly turns around. “Before you say anything, how would it have looked if I…”


“I know. I know. Sorry. Again.” He sighs. “So how do you know him? I love this place.” He turns around to face the hall.




“Yeah, it’s beautiful.” I concede and stand behind him. I want to touch him, but am unsure how he will react to what I have to say. “He’s Michael’s ex husband...well his ex civil partner, to be exact.”


He doesn't say anything for a second. “The Gimp landed that munk?”


“Monk? Trust me, he’s not a monk.”


“Two things: one, how do you know that and secondly, it’s not monk as in monastery; it’s munk as in the M from man and the rest from hunk...munk.”


“I see. Well, I slept with him way before Michael and he met. And there is nothing there but a recently renewed friendship.” I can feel him slump in relief. “Do you know the wonderful things about Tiggers, Mr Slim?” He frowns at me then shakes his head. “It's that you’re the only one. And you’re fun, fun, fun, fun, fun.” I smile at his confused expression before heading back downstairs.


JUSTIN


I almost rip my jacket pocket trying to get my phone out and ignoring the slew of texts I always seem to receive at events my parents are at. I do wish Mom would stop giving my number out, I google what he said and smile and then scowl...great, I now have a fucking earworm! Bopping my head along to the melody, I decide to check the NCTs...no chance texts...I have received and almost faint. Each and every one is from Brian, asking me to let him explain.


“Everything okay, son?” Dad asks as he stands beside me. “Though that is the most stupidest question judging by that smile.”


I grin even harder before calming down a bit. “Can you help me hold her back, just for a little while?”


“Of course, son. Of course.” He grins hugely and then does an impression of an over excited seal.


“Why?” I point at his hands.


“I got my son his first boyfriend!” He smirks. “She’s going to spit feathers. Oh wait, he’s a bit older than you and his reputation is well, frisky to say the least. So...um...are you a…”


“No! Oh god! Please can we go back down now?!”


“Of course but before we do, do you top or bottom?”


“Dad!” I shriek, my face flaming.


“Ah versatile. That you get from me.”


BEN


Oh, he has it bad! I feel a little bit envious because he doesn’t realise that he has it bad. I think back to my time with Michael and what we had. Even if it did work out, it still would not have touched what I hope is going to happen for Brian. Even though he’s been gladhanding all night. Every so often he would look at Justin, not a full on stare, but just a fleeting heated glance. Time to be a friend.


“Invite Justin to dinner.” I whisper in his ear and he looks stunned and then abashed. “I have...and I can’t believe I am going to tell you, but it might as well be put to some use…”


“Please don’t tell me about any positions you were thinking of using with…”


“Oh Christ, no!” I then snort with laughter and he frowns. “Did he ever tell you that I tied him up once?”


“Yes. In excrutia…” He gapes at me. “Benjamin Bruckner!”


“At least, he got fucked by proxy, even if he doesn’t know it.” I snicker. “But I was referring to a lamb dish I know. Let me send you the recipe.”


BRIAN


When I read the recipe, I start to drool and I know that Mr Slim will love it as well. I send him the email and wait for his reaction. My phone beeps in seconds. “How is that possible?” I gasp.


“What’s wrong?” Ben frowns.


“He says he’s never eaten lamb before.”


“Then he is in for a treat. Now what about this comic thing you were telling me about?”


JUSTIN’S TOWNHOUSE - POST INAUGURAL DINNER


BEDROOM


JUSTIN


I have a date on Saturday with Brian! Oh shit... I have a date on Saturday in my house with Brian!

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks