- Text Size +


BRIAN


I lean back against the car seat after I take in a couple of breaths then check my messages list and sigh. My good mood starts to rapidly evaporate as I listen to the first one from Lindsay: Brian, I know you are still mad about what I said. But we need to discuss the support payments just between ourselves. I don’t see why Ted needs to be involved. I’m not happy with having to share my financial details with him. Yes he’s our friend, but mostly Mel’s. It just makes me uncomfortable...call me please.


“I’ll just bet it makes you uncomfortable. Having to justify every fucking penny you want from me now is not something you are used to. Well tough your, flat in your case, titties! You want more, you tell me why?” I growl at my phone.


Taking another breath, I play the next one: Brian hi, it’s me your best friend. Look, I need to speak to you about your honorary daughter. I’m going to be having a little bit of a problem meeting the support payment for Jenny. So can you call me so that you can help me with it? Speak to you later.”


“You will not speak to me later, bestie! You have a husband that’s supposed to be supporting you with your daughter. So tap him for that!”


I start the engine and drive out of the parking lot, heading towards Liberty Avenue. I park in my usual spot near the diner and pray. As I push the door open, I am assailed by the smells of grease and coffee and wish I hadn’t stopped in here. I am about to turn around when I walk straight into Ben.


“Sorry, Ben. I was just going...”


“Actually, I am glad I bumped into you. Michael’s just coming. You didn’t return his call.” His tone is full of censure.


“Only just listened to his message and…”


“He called you at 11.00am; it’s 4.00pm. He’s your best friend and needs you like you…”


“Brian! Hi!” Michael squawks like a chicken. “Where have you been? You never returned my call.”


“I had just mentioned that, Babe. Let’s go grab the booth.” Ben steps behind me, blocking my exit and Michael struts, actually fucking struts, to the table like he has two cock of the walks behind him. He only has one and if he only knew that I have already had him! I sigh as I take the seat of disappointment as they both turn to me. “Well?” Ben asks.


“Well what?” I return a lot calmer than I feel.


“Look Brian, I don’t like to see Michael upset and…”


“There you are, you asshole!” Debs’s clarion call reverberates round my ears and I wait for the smack at the back of my head. I have gotten so used to it, I don’t even flinch...I just wait. It may not come immediately but it always does. “Where have you been?” She demands, sitting opposite me and next to Michael. Three sets of eyes turn to me, waiting for an answer.


“On business trip. And…”


“Is your phone broken?” Ben glares at me. “As I was saying, you seem to delight in…”


“For fuck sake! Not you as well, Ben!” Kiki snaps as she passes. “And there I was thinking you were only stupid once... you know for marrying him in the first place!”


“Kiki, you seem to forget that…” He begins in that oh so punch him in the mouth pompous way of his.


“...I don’t forget. But you seem to have forgotten yourself!” Kiki snipes and then continues on her way.


I keep my face unemotional and wait for them to turn back to me and finish what they started.


“I don’t understand why she hasn’t been fired yet?” Michael complains. “I suppose He-She must be doing something good.” He snickers.


“You mean like her job for example?” Delores snipes as she leans against the booth. “I won’t warn you again about that phrase, Mr Novotny-Bruckner. Unlike your mother, who doesn’t seem to have warned you at all, it won’t be tolerated! And I do believe, unlike some, Kiki comes here to work, not to indulge or berate her family! I take it you are on your break now, Debs?”


“Yes, Delores. I was about to come and tell you, but…”


“Just sat down instead? Yes, I noticed. You have 15 minutes left.” She butts in. “Use it wisely.”


All three pairs of angry eyes follow her retreat and I almost burst out laughing at their outrage. It’s okay for them to tell the truth to other people, but not to hear the truth about themselves!


“Can we get this done?” I sigh. “I’m hungry.”


“If you’re hungry, we can go back to Ma’s and eat there. That way…”


“I have to work until seven. So why haven’t you answered his question?”


“Which one? The one about the support? The one about the…”


“Support.” Michael interrupts quickly and I know he’s not told them about the other things he’s having problems meeting the money for!


“So why haven’t you agreed to this? It’s the first time he’s asked and it’s not as if you...”


“Can’t afford it.” Debs finishes off Ben’s sentence.


I take a huge breath once more and stand up as does Debs. “I am not giving him money to support Jenny. She is not mine. If he couldn’t afford to pay for her then he shouldn’t have ponied up, eventually. And…”


“Did you seriously just say that?! Are you sick? You must be if you’ve said that and refused my son. I have some tuna casserole at home and you are coming with us!”


“I am no longer hungry having heard that. I am not sick. I am simply saying…”


Debs raises her hand but before she can connect, it’s stopped. “For fuck sake! That slap lands and you spend a night in jail!” Carl’s bellow silences the diner.


“Carl?! What the hell is going on out here?” Delores comes rushing out and then sees Debs, still frozen in position. “Debs, go home! Just go home for the rest of the day. I will call you if we need you.”


“Now Delores, there’s no need for that...” Debs tries to placate.


“There is every need. After your son’s thoughtless comment, your son-in-law’s pomposity and now your attempted assault, there is every need. I will cover your shift tonight. Go home and if I haven’t called you by 0900, assume you have the day off...paid, I guess.”


“Come on Ma, Ben. Let’s go!” Michael orders and I step aside to let Ben out and they head to the door, scowling at Carl as he approaches me. “Brian, come on!”


“No. I’ve given you my answer and I am not changing my mind. Besides, it’s Monday and I have a date.” All three of their jaws drop.


“You okay, son?” He asks, scrutinising my face.


“Yeah, I’m fine. Honest.”


“You out back?” He asks and I nod as he squeezes Delores’s arm as he passes. “I’ll call ahead.”


“Thanks. Like I said, I have a date. You want to give me fucking tuna casserole, which I hate but he wants to buy me tuna sashimi and sushi. And I want to have fucking sashimi!” I snarl and follow Carl outside.


DELORES


“Go while you can come back, Debs.” I tell her and there is a collective sigh of relief as they leave. I head out back and smile as Carl pleads to be allowed to drive. Of course, Brian relents as he always does. It’s a shame he doesn’t relent to the Avenue and fire that mouthy redhead’s ass!


CHAYA JAPANESE CUISINE - 40 MINUTES LATER


CHEF AKINO TUN


Ah, there they are! Two of my favourite customers. I head over with the hot sake. “Good evening, gentlemen. Did he persuade you again?”


“Yes, he did.” Brian smiles and I place the sake in front of him.


“I will be back with the tea and the fatty tuna to start? Today looks like it is a fatty tuna day.”


“Definitely and eel please.” Carl says as he settles down.


I shake my head and scurry back to get their dishes.


“What am I doing?” Cherry asks, smiling indulgently across at Brian and Carl.


“Fatty tuna and the eel to start.” I sigh.


“Ooh, if I could just have two minutes with them!” She snarls as she prepares their food. Now I love my wife very much. We have been married for over 20 years, and we have never had an argument. Watching her knife skills I know that is one of the reasons why!


“I know my darling, but it is his choice who he allows into his life.”


“There is a difference between being allowed into someone’s life and constantly bulldozing your way in. They bulldoze!” She rebukes me and I have to concede that point. “Take it over then and tell them that they are having the poki, soft shell crab and beef negimaki.”


“Of course.”


CARL


“Have we ever, apart from the first time, actually ordered our own food?”


“No.” He laughs as he expertly picks up the eel and chews thoughtfully.


“I would’ve, you know.” I tell him.


“I know, but…”


“But nothing, son. One day, I am going to stop listening to you and do what she deserves.” I clear my throat. “Still can’t believe she’s not figured out that you own the diner. Explain the reasoning to me again?”


“It keeps her out of my hair....”


“She’s still in your hair. But I have to admit that Delores was a nice touch. Where’d…”


He snickers over his sake. “Who you’d like to touch?”


“Brian!” I exclaim, my cheeks flaming.


“That would be a yes, then.” The rest of our dinner arrives and he allows me to finish off the tuna. “Why not ask her out? She’s not Debbie.”


“No, but she will make sniping comments and…”


“Which is why Delores is the manager of the diner.” He interrupts with a smirk.


“No, she and Debs are joint mana…”


“Not anymore, Carl. Not anymore.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive. Thank you.