- Text Size +

JUSTIN


I reach across and check my phone. It is there, a dinner date, and he sent a menu! He was incredulous when I said I have never had lamb before. I snicker as I remember it was because I had a cuddly toy sheep and refused to eat lamb as I thought I was eating him. Dad tried to convince me, but I wasn’t having it. I’ve often wondered what it tastes like, as I have seen some dishes that have looked so good. “Right, I have to call the service in and find out what wines to get and…” I almost jump to the ceiling when my phone starts to ring and it’s him.


“Hi there.” I almost squeak, much to his amusement! “I do not sound like a mouse! What do you mean what was the name of the toy?” I stare at my phone in mortification. “Why? Why did he tell you that?!” I am going to kill my father! “Chester. His name is Chester. Of course I still have him, in my memory box at my parents’ house.” I wait for him to stop chuckling. “Are you sure you don’t want to laugh some more?” So he does. “So apart from teasing me, what did you ring for? Um if you get there, I mean here, at eight that should give us enough time to eat each oth...I mean dinner!”


2ND FLOOR LOFT - 10 MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


I haven’t laughed so much in days! I can just imagine his face when he had to swiftly correct himself, bright pink and his eyes wide in horror.  Sighing I sip my Beam and think about what Ben and I discussed. I think it could work. In fact, I am going to make it work. I pick up my phone again and hope he’s still awake.


“Hey Ben. About this comic…”


KINNETIC - MID-MORNING


CYNTHIA’S OFFICE


CYNTHIA


“So are you going to see him again?” I ask Daph, who has just finished telling me about the blind date hottie she met last night.


“Yep, now all I have to do is ask him out. Which is slightly easier said than done.” She sighs and looks embarrassed. “Seems, I didn’t write his number down properly and the only other way to get it is to ask either Brian or his mother.”


“Go for the mother. She won’t tease you as much as I would.” Brian smirks as he comes in, looking amused. “And do it today.” He is searching in the cupboards for something. Sighing, he turns to me. “Where’d you put them?”


“What?” I ask, knowing what he’s looking for.


“Cynthia.” He grumbles and his face starts to go red.


“Brian.”


“Cyn.thi.a” He gripes and then folds his arms.


“Oh alright. Stop kvetching. They’re right there.”


“What is going on?” Daph asks.


“Don’t…” He begins, going redder.


“Brian wants a chocolate frog to go with his coffee. But he can’t see the massive frog cookie jar that they are now in...apparently.”


He scowls as he looks on the shelf just above him; he takes the jar and frowns at it.



“This is hideous, find a better jar.” He orders, digging around inside. “And not a single tit is to be tittered!” He calls back over his shoulder.


“When did he start that?” Daph asks incredulous.


“When he was sick. Apparently, Justin packed some for himself and, like the ice cream cookies, Mr Kinney ate them all...nary a one did I get.  Unquote.”


“And they are running out! I can’t be the only one who’s eating them!” He shouts from his office.


“No, it’s not just you. Seems Justin likes them too!” I shout back and wait for the inevitable snarky remark but as if by magic, Justin comes in and stares in the jar. I just point towards Brian’s office.


“Justin can get his own!”


“They are my own. I keep them in my cookie jar to stop me from eating the lot!” He stalks to his office with jar in hand and shuts the door. Daph and I just stare at each in disbelief. We wait for him to come scurrying back out but the door remains closed.


BRIAN’S OFFICE


BRIAN


How is it possible for him to look indignant and sexy at the same time?! I come round to his side of the desk and lean against it.


“I guess I owe you some frogs.” I ask, popping the remains of one in my mouth.


“Yes you do, Mr Kinney. There are only three left. I bought two whole packs last week, and I have had...mmmm.” I stop his queening by pushing the second chocolate in his mouth. I then swallow hard when he keeps my finger in his mouth, by biting down softly, and waggles his eyebrows.


“Oh, I would stop that if I were you.” I warn softly and then clear my throat when he licks the tip of my finger. “Mr Taylor, behave!” He lets me take my finger out of his mouth with a smile.


“$3.95 per box.” He waves the jar at me. “4 boxes will fill it to the brim.”


“That is a hideous jar.” I point out, pulling him a tiny bit closer.


“I like the jar. They are my chocolates, so ergo keeping the jar and the chocolates. Or I shall take jar and chocolates and put them somewhere else…”


“Fine. You may leave that hideous jar and its contents where it was.”


“How gracious of you.” He smirks, but then his eyes drop to my mouth. “It would be very bad, wouldn’t it?”


“Yes. Very bad indeed. We must keep this professional at all times.”


“Yes, Mr Kinney. I will go to my desk now.”


“Yeah, you really should.” I whisper against his lips. “Mr Taylor, you need to leave or…” He licks his lips and slowly raises his eyes to mine. “...dangerous game you are playing.”


“Playing and winning.” He smirks again before stepping out of reach.


“Tease.” I grouse and resist the temptation to pull him back to where he was.


“Who, me? Never. I never tease, I always follow through. Not necessarily at the time, but I always do.” He heads to the door before looking coquettishly over his shoulder at me. “Do you believe me?”


“How could I doubt someone who had, correction still has, a cuddly sheep called Chester?” It has the desired effect, he goes bright red.


“That reminds me. I must kill my father!” He grumbles, stalking out.


TAYLOR RESIDENCE - AN HOUR LATER


STUDY


CRAIG


Oh dear, that was one very pissed off Justin! And I don’t blame him. I had had a bit too much to drink when I overheard Brian saying he couldn’t understand how Justin hadn’t eaten lamb. I am about to call him back when Jennifer pokes her head round the door.


“What have you done to Justin? And when were you going to tell me about this date he has with Brian Kinney?” She demands with one hand on her hip.


“I didn’t know they had a date. And I embarrassed him by telling Brian Kinney about his cuddly toy, Chester. And him being the reason he has never eaten lamb.”


“Oh Craig!” She rolls her eyes. “What on earth…”


“I know. I was just about to call to apologise.”


“You haven’t apologised?!” She puts her other hand on her hip.


“I didn’t get a chance. He called, tore into me and hung up. How did you know he was upset?”


“Apologise now and explain after!” She orders and I quickly take up the phone.


Ten minutes later, he’s forgiven me. But Jennifer is still looking a little cross. “What?”


“How did they get to the date part?”


“Ah, that would be down to me.” I look smug, she looks unimpressed. “Justin didn’t know he was coming to the dinner, let alone that he had a date. He kept walking away from him, so I told him to let him explain.”


“But he loves Kinnetic.” She sighs and that throws me. “What if it doesn’t work out with them? He would have to leave…”


“Jennifer, let them have the date first. And I don’t think it is going to not work for them.”


“Oh, why?!” She cries excitedly and sits down opposite me.


“I don’t know exactly; just got a feeling. I’ve heard nothing but positive things about him and it was just in the way he looked at him after they talked.”


“And how was that?” She asks dreamily...already picking her wedding outfit.


“Put the dress and hat back in the wardrobe darling.” She pokes her tongue out. “Seriously, just let them have the first date and then you can start planning. Hang on, how did you know about the date?”


She looks embarrassed. “I, um, asked Ben if he knew any single men for Justin. He told me.”


“Jennifer!” I laugh. “You are terrible! At least, you’ve stopped giving his number out. He was this close to getting a burn phone the last time.”


“What’s a burn phone?” She looks puzzled.


“It’s the phone whose number you give out when you don’t want that person to ring you but they won’t stop asking you for the number.”


“Oh, well that’s just silly. Tell them to fuck off and leave you alone.” She rolls her eyes. “And if that doesn’t work a swift kick in the balls should get the message across nice and clearly, painfully, but clearly.”


Oh yes, definitely gets his temper from his mother.


DINER - AN HOUR LATER


DELORES


I hang up, chuckling. Daphne called and asked for Reilly’s number and he has just rung me to say thank you for giving it to her. They are both twits, because he had taken down her number wrong as well!


The door opening brings in Michael and everyone smirks. He goes red and stalks muttering to the back booth before he slams down his comics and sits down, glaring. Kiki and I exchange looks and wait for him to notice. It doesn’t take long. His eyes get really wide as he takes in the full majesty of the collection of pictures that Kiki put up from the Presidential dinner.


“Who put those fucking things in here?!” He carps.


“And this is your business, how?!” Kiki carps back. “You do not work here, therefore you have no say in what is put up. The owner insisted…”


“Who is this owner? It’s about time that the Avenue…”


“You are barely a paying customer and I am this close to chucking your ass out. Management reserves the right and all that!” Kiki snaps.


“You are not management!” He growls at her


“But I am…” I begin only to be stopped in mid-flow by Debs coming in. “...ah, Debs, may I have a word with you in private?


“No, you can say what you want to me here. I want there to be witnesses!” She answers, going red in the face.


“Okay, fine. Can you explain why the diner was shut down early?”


“Michael was upset…”


“He doesn’t work here. He being upset should not have led to that.”


“I took a…”


“Liberty. That’s what you took... a liberty, especially when you tried to fire Cheryl. You completely overstepped your remit; you do not have the authority to fire anybody. But I do! I have spoken to the owner and they aren’t happy either. They will not take any action but to either deduct your pay or...”


“What?! You can’t do that!”


“Or you take that time off as holiday. Which I believe leaves you with one day left for the rest of the year.”


“It’s only July.” Kiki snickers. “You are going to have a long ole year of it.”


“I haven’t taken any holiday!” She explodes.


“Yes, you have. What did you think those days you weren’t able to work at the last minute were called?”


“You took them as holiday?! Like I said at the time, I had emergencies that…”


“You never explained. Just said you couldn’t come in. Unexplained absences are treated as holiday, as explained in your new contract.”


She opens and then closes her mouth before admitting defeat by remaining silent, then storming out to the back to divest herself of her coat and one hopes her nasty assitude...as Ben remarked at the dinner.


“What the fuck are you doing here?!” Michael snaps as Ben comes in, looking nauseatingly un-hungover. Even I was a bit tenderheaded this morning. “Mind you I am glad you are here, because we are going to…”


“Fuck off, Michael.” Ben says calmly. He looks at the pictures and smiles before sitting down in the booth underneath.


Fuck off? Did you just tell me to fuck off? How dare you?!”


“Simple. I opened my mouth and the words came out...now again, fuck off.” He pulls out his phone and starts to scroll through it. “Kiki, can I take your number so I can send you the pictures that I took as well?”


“Of course, you can.” She smiles and hands him her phone. He frowns. “Call your number. I don’t want anybody having it that shouldn’t.”


“Oh, good plan. Thanks. May I have a cup of coffee? The good stuff, please.”


“Sure thing. Oh, perfect timing! Brian, are you staying long enough for coffee?” She calls out as he comes in.


“Definitely. Ah, there’s the man I’m after.” He says, striding towards the booths. He sits down with Ben and Michael is now almost translucent with fury.


He stands up and folds his arms. “Brian, I think you owe me an explanation after your behaviour over the dinner.”


“No, I don’t. I never said I was taking you. You assumed, and by doing so you made an ass out of yourself.”


“You never said you weren’t taking me!” He hisses.


“Michael, I am not here to argue the toss with you. I am here to meet with Ben.” There is astonished silence as he has never spoken to Michael in public like that. Michael just stands there looking like a goldfish, on dry land, gasping for air. “Oh thanks, Kiki. So what do you think? Did you get a chance to read it?”


BRIAN


“Yes, I like it. It’s very sweet and well written.” He takes a sip of his coffee. “Have you talked to him about it?”


“Yeah, very briefly. And I am not sure he was quite sober for there was a lot of tittering. We will talk some more, but I wanted to get you on board first.”


“I’m on board.”


I can feel Michael breathing down my neck but I am waiting for the perfect moment. And although I don’t know why it is, but it’s now. Debs strides up to the booth, glaring at us both. “What are you doing, Brian? Since when do you two have a friendship?!”


“Since he apologised and meant it.” I reply and feel Ben’s hand on my knee, which had started to bounce.


“What are you two talking about? What he is on board with?” Michael demands, standing next to her.


“Do you have a problem with them knowing?” He asks me, his eyes gleaming with mischief and relish.


“No. Feel free. I have another meeting to go to. I’ll get Mel to send you over the agreement and then we can get started properly.”


“Excellent. I’ll see you in a week then?”


“Yeah. Have a safe flight Ben and give Tyson a stroke from me.” I give him a hug and then start to walk out. It doesn’t take long for His Pissiness to get loud.


“BRIAN!” Michael shrieks. I turn around and tilt my head, but otherwise, say nothing. “What are you doing with him?!”


“Writing a comic... well publishing the comic that Justin has written, but personally, I think it has the potential to be more.” Ben answers.


Michael spinning back to face Ben gives me the escape time I need and I almost sprint to the car, laughing as I go.


MICHAEL


I feel cold and sick! I look at Ma and she is as stunned as I am. “What do you mean you are doing a comic with Brian and her brat?! I am doing a comic with Brian!”


“Does Brian know that?” Ben asks.


“He will, once he’s pulled his head out of his ass…”


“His head is not up his ass. And it seems, judging by that tone just now, that he won’t be kissing your ass any time soon either. Now, is there anything else that is none of your business that I can tell you to fuck off over, once again?”


I feel the rage boiling up inside and lean on the table. “Listen very carefully, Ben. I have always, and I mean always, gotten what I wanted when I wanted it. Brian will not be writing that fucking comic with you or anyone else! He is my best friend and...”


“He was. And as for you getting, that was then, this is now.” He sneers coldly. “You seem to have forgotten something very important, Michael. Brian doesn’t need you. You need him. Brian doesn’t want you. You want him. Brian doesn’t do anything he doesn’t want to do. Nor does he need to do things he doesn’t want to do.”


“That’s where you’re wrong!” Lindsay voice startles us. “Brian will always do what is best for his friends and family. We are his family in everything but blood and we know what’s best...”


Ben stands up laughing, but I block his attempt to leave the booth. “Move, Michael.”


“We are not finished talking.” I growl.


“Yes, we have.”


“No, we fucking haven’t!” I repeat and push him in his chest. “Sit down now!”


“Don’t do that, Michael.”


“Or what? You won’t hit me; you’re too Zen for that!” I seethe. “The only way you are leaving is when I am done talking to you.” I shove him again. “Now sit down!”


DELORES


“Michael, I said stop!” Ben snarls at him and starts to make his way around the other side of the booth.


“Ma, stand there! He’s not going anywhere!” Michael orders and Debs starts to move.


“Do that, Mrs Novotny and you will be fired immediately.” I bark out and Debs freezes.


“Ma? What are…”


“Michael, be quiet!” I snap. “Now get out of his way before you are banned! And banned for life!” Everyone is silent. “Ben, are you alright?” He looks furious but does nod. “You go on your way, first. Are you flying back to Canada today?”


“Yes.” He glares at Michael as he steps out of the booth. “One more shove and I would’ve had you arrested. I will be letting Mel know that your temper has seemingly taken on a violent turn. Which I am sure won’t have any impact on you seeing Jenny at all.”


“If you need a copy of the disc, let me know.” I whisper as I kiss his cheek.


“Thanks, Delores.” He whispers back before he kisses Kiki goodbye and is gone.


“I can’t believe you did that, you idiot!” Lindsay shakes her head. “Do you know the hay Mel is…”


“What hay?” He grouses, not looking remotely concerned. “So I was angry and got a little handsy. It was just a couple of shoves. Besides, he won’t say anything. He’s too Zen…”


“Debs, you are suspended! With immediate effect for two weeks.”


“What?! Why? I didn’t…”


“Control your progeny? I noticed! And you were about to contribute to a customer’s distress by stopping him from leaving. Go now.”


“But…”


“Now, Debs! You know, while you have a suspension to come back from!”


She just stares at me for a few seconds before sighing. “Will I at least be paid?”


“That depends on what the owner says. They watch the discs every day.”


“Discs?” She swallows hard. “What discs?”


“The surveillance discs, of course.” I feel the glee surging through me as both she and her idiot child go pale.


“How long has there been surveillance discs?” Her voice is definitely nervous.


“Since the new owner bought the place and installed them. We can have this discussion over the phone. Oh thank you, Kiki. Here is your coat. Goodbye, Mrs Novotny.”


KINNETIC - TWO HOURS LATER


TED’S OFFICE


BRIAN


Delores called me to let me know what happened with Ben, but he had already told me. Ted and I are watching the feed again. He pauses it as Michael gets right in Ben’s space with the first shove, and he points to Debs. “Look at her. She’s encouraging him by not stopping him. What if Ben had fallen?”


I nod in agreement. “Delores has suspended her for two weeks. That is not enough. It’s time. Can you draw up the paperwork?”


“Sure, Bri. How’s Delores going to do it?”


“She’s not; I am.” His jaw drops. “When I met Ben earlier and Michael was being his usual self, I snapped back and the diner went quiet. So did he. I think that’s why he took his anger out on Ben because I stood up to him.”


“Wow. Is that on here?” He starts to rewind the disc but stops when I shake my head. “Why not?”


“Carl said it wasn’t relevant. Also, it is so as not to have anything for her to say I provoked him. This has to show him attacking Ben and her not stopping him.” He nods and then grins, slowly. “I know that smile...that’s your I’ve had an idea and it is going to hurt smile.”


“Oh yes, it is going to hurt. Wanna hear it?”


“Please.” I chuckle.


“Hang on, we need Ems for this.” He reaches across and quickly dials the number, leaving it on speaker.


“Fabulicious, Emmett Honeycutt speaking!”


“Ems, it’s Teddy and Bri, got a minute?”


“For two of my fave dudes? Of course.”


“Fave dudes?” I scoff.


“Yeah. Teen speak is not quite working for me, is it? What can I do for my studliests? Is that better?”


“A bit.” I sigh in mock annoyance. “Ted is feeling mean.”


“Oh. To whom?”


“Debs.”


“Oh goody! I heard about what Michael did in the diner. Disgusting little savage! What do you need me for, though?”


“We’re going to host a party at the Diner when she gets back from her suspension and we’d like you to cater it.”


“Not sure I foll...oh! Brian, oh studly one, are you going to fire her?”


“Fire...how long have you known?” I ask.


“Since before the ink was dry on the paper.”


“Why haven’t you said anything?”


“Same reason you never said anything about buying this building and letting me buy it off you at a knock down price.”


“Brian?” Ted looks at me in amazement, I roll my lips in and say nothing. “You are full of surprises.  How did you get it passed me?”


“Cynthia bought it on my behalf.”


“Ah, I see. So back to this so long overdue, farewell and fuck off to Debs and her spawn...”


“Oh, studlies, leave it with me. I shall make it something she will never forget...or forgive!”


DEBS’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


LINDSAY


I still can’t get my head round this. Of all the stupid things to do! He still doesn’t think he has done anything wrong dismissing it as just a couple of shoves in Ben’s chest. I am waiting to hear back from Mel. Well, more accurately, waiting for her lawyer to return my calls. I was horrified when the dissolution papers were delivered to my hotel! Seems that she had one last detective on my tail and that’s how she found me. It is bad enough that I have, temporarily, lost custody of Gus, but she is refusing to pay spousal support! I haven’t got any means of supporting myself, well apart from Brian or getting a job, which I refused to do in the last year. That led to many an argument. I look up as Debs comes back downstairs, shaking her head.


“I can’t believe I got suspended because of him!” She complains.


“Where is he anyway?” I ask although I am relieved that he’s not here.


“Swap meet or something. What am I supposed to do for 2 weeks?”


I resist the temptation to say stop wet nursing your son and find a job but instead shrug.


“I am going to call PFLAG.” She declares and I almost choke on what she laughingly calls wine. “I may have to…” She grimaces. “...make nice to Jennifer Taylor and use her to get on the board.”


“Actually, I know Craig and Jennifer personally. Maybe I can help?”


“You do?!” She exclaims. “Although I need to make nice with that arrogant shit of a son of theirs. Ben said that he and Brian are writing a comic with him.”


“Justin?” I laugh heartily. “Oh goodness me, no. I have seen his etchings and they are nothing!”


“But Ben said…”


“Ben, with all due respect to his intellect, knows nothing about art past, present or future. Debs, you and I need to work together. We can only rely on ourselves to get us both where we want to be. No, where we need to be!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks