- Text Size +


LUIGI


“Uh, papa, maybe I should go. Having seen them at the airport and in the car, it might…”


“Nonsense! Besides, it is my duty to do this!” He gives her the filthiest look I have ever seen him give her. “Carlotta....” Her eyes widen at the use of her full name...ooh Papa is seriously pissed. “...has caused enough shame! Why are you still standing there? Go. To. The. Car!”


“But Daddy…”


“I WILL TAN YOUR HIDE HERE AND NOW IF YOU DON’T MOVE THAT ASS THIS FUCKING SECOND!” Papa yells at the top of his lungs, causing all the birds to fly out of the garden and the surrounding environ to go silent. The next sound is her shoes on the gravel as she stomps to the car wisely, not testing his patience more than she has. None of us say anything for a while as Papa takes some calming breaths. “Right, I will not be too long, can someone take her to the airport now? We will send her things on, I can’t abide her right now.”


“Yes, Papa.” I nod, then shake my head as I head to the car. She’s lucky that Ralph is still in Florence, but she won’t be feeling so lucky when he tells her how Gardner Vance, on receiving the termination notice, took great pleasure in describing in intricate detail what positions were her very-very-favourites! But, as he didn’t get the reaction he wanted, he then announced that Brian is a man’s man, and Papa laughed and said he knew and still wanted him to represent him. He went an odd colour, muttered something and just ended the meeting.


OUTSIDE THE GARDEN - TEN MINUTES LATER


CARLO


Maybe I should’ve let Luigi do this. I strain to see if I can hear anything. I take a chance and peek around the corner and heave a sigh of relief when I spot them in the archway, but in the hammock. I don’t want to startle them, just in case they are asleep, so I clear my throat...very loudly!


“I’m not sleeping!” Brian calls out, and then points down at his chest, where draped over him like a blanket is Justin. “”But he is...a nuclear bomb wouldn’t wake him right now. He’s tired, the poor lamb.” He chuckles, and beckons me closer. “We are also dressed. After you bellowed at Sno...Carlotta, we thought it would be best.”


I blush as I get closer. “I am sorry, Brian, once again her arrogance has caused embarrassment to the family name and to your…”


“We were not embarrassed, surprised? Yes. Horny as fuck? Yes. But embarrassed? Definitely not.” He adjusts Justin slightly, and he’s right, he doesn’t even stir. “Why was she here anyway?”


“She brought an apology gift.” I shake my head. “I am not altogether sure you will like it, but it is somewhere around here, I suspect at the front door.” I smile at the pair of them. “It is the first time for you, I think? He, maybe has, but not like this with you. It was too strong, his reaction. I thought he would run her through.” He nods and gently moves the hair off of Justin’s face and adjusts him again before squinting up at me.


“Could you…”


“How did you get out here? Did you come down the path, I mean, or through the secret door?”


“The pa...what door?” He replies frowning, and then watches as I feel along the walls. “What are you doing?”


“There is a small lever that...aha!” I locate it and pull and the back of the archway is bathed in light. “Never did turn those damn lights off!” I laugh, and then laugh harder as Brian tries to disentangle himself from Justin’s grasp without waking him up. “A heavy sleeper and a grumpy waker?”


“Just a tad.” He snickers as he finally gets out from under and then freezes as it looks like he is going to wake up but he merely curls himself into a tight ball. “He looks like a dormouse, I don’t know how he is breathing in there!” He chuckles before checking down the corridor. “I am going to have to wake him up, aren’t I?”


“Yes. It is going to get cooler today.” I stop him as he approaches Justin. “Preferably when I am gone. But one other thing, when I terminated Vance and laughed at his words about you, he said he would fix you. Be careful my friend.”


“Thanks for the heads up. Vance has nothing on me, well nothing he can use in the realm of business anyway. Now, you best join your family. This is not going to be pretty.”


I smile and leave him to it!


MASTER BEDROOM - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Okay, if I play this right, I can wake up that little mouse that roars and get him in bed in about five minutes before he has time to register anything.


“Not a dormouse.” His sleepy voice says from behind me, and I whirl around in surprise to find him rubbing his eyes and scratching a red spot on his shoulder. “Got burnt.” He mutters, as he makes his way to the bed before resuming his not-a-dormouse position in the middle of the bed. “Cold.” He gestures, and I curl around him. “Can he harm you?”


“Who?” I ask pulling the blanket around us.


“Vance. Can he do anything?” I can hear the worry in his voice.


“No. And even if he could, I’ve got enough money and everything else I need is right here.”


“I will knock his bald block off if he tries.” He growls and kisses my hand. “With a two by four.”


“My hero.” I whisper into his ear and get another kiss on my hand and a wiggle backwards.


“I’m not though.” He says quietly.


“What not?” I murmur.


“A hero. I know something about you, I overheard it and I want to tell you that I know it.”


I sit up and force him to uncurl himself and look at me. “What?”


“Cancer. I know you had it. I wasn’t snooping I swear! I came back to replenish the pods for Cyn and I overheard.”


“And knowing that you still…”


“I love you, plain and simple, and I will love you for as long as you will let me love you.” He strokes my wrist before looking up at me and smiling. “I repeat, I love you, plain and simple, and I will love you for as long as you will let me love you...and I hope that will be forever.”


“That’s an awful long time and a lot of rows we will have...since you as such a tempestuous, quick to light little Tigger.”


“But it will be fun-fun-fun-fun-fun, because the wonderful thing about being your Tigger is…”


“...you will be the only one.” I pull him tight against my chest, and he sighs into my neck. “You want to be a not-a-dormouse position don’t you?”


“Mmm.” He murmurs, and within minutes we not-dormice are asleep.


MEL’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


MEL


The kids are with my parents, they came to collect them and Ty...and the blankey...this morning. We need to talk about that while they couldn’t overhear. I pour a large glass of brandy for Ben and join him on the sofa.


“Thanks. You know, I always had a suspicion that...no, suspicion is too strong a word, an inkling that he resented Brian, despite all the trouble he kept him out of.” He takes a healthy gulp. “And do you know why? Because, like Carl said, he succeeded in spite of what happened. Michael would’ve, and did and still does, play the victim, and he’s still where he is: still stuck in high school, waiting for Brian to rescue him, waiting in his bedroom to finish that handjob, waiting and waiting.”


“She’s pregnant, but she’s not realized yet.” I whisper, and he wraps his arm around my shoulders. “I know her body better than she does. I watched her blossom with Gus. She’s very early, but definitely pregnant. The one saving grace about this is that she gets horrendous sickness, as in can’t keep anything down. Is it bad that I relish that?”


“Only if it’s bad that Michael still throbs about me tying him up one time…”


“So…”


“Brian tied me up the same way.”


I start to laugh and look up. “You’re going to tell him aren’t you?”


“Oh yeah.” I stare at him for a few long seconds. “He’s very good. I can see why she would coast on it.”


“He’s the Stud, he must be more than very good!” I scoff.


“Mel, he is fantastic. Seriously the best sex I have ever had.” He looks down at me. “Have you ever?”


“No, but I did pose nude for a male magazine once.” He looks incredulous. “My dad disowned me when I came out so had to do something. My disowning only lasted 3 weeks, but it was too late by then. Luckily my mom is a prudish snoop so…” He chuckles and then kisses my forehead. “Ben, have you ever? I mean, with a woman?”


“Yeah. Could not understand the fuss. It’s too loose. Okay, not as loose as Michael’s, but too loose.”


“Michael is loose?” I cringe.


“Yeah. He refuses to admit that he’s lactose intolerant, so shits like Niagara Falls on a regular.” He starts to chuckle. “So...oh this is so bad but oh so good...towards the end, what he thought was tofu but seasoned better was actually cheese...shame!”


“Jesus!” I laugh, and get up and reach down for him. “Oh, don’t worry, I’ve not switched!” I reassure him having caught his wide eyed expression. “We’re going out dancing! I haven’t danced in years, primarily because…”


“Lindsay can’t?” He chortles as he stands up. “Neither can Michael, this bounce, hop, look sultry over shoulder, but really looks like you’re squinting, did not do it for me!”


MAMI’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


DINING ROOM


RILEY


There is something so very magical about a gaggle of geese, especially when they are gaggling over two things Daphne, who is now on Aunt Mame’s laptop ordering mini Kriegers or Brian. They have been told everything and anything about his man, Justin, by mom, and are anxious to meet him, especially Aunt Cici...as I call Aunt Cicely.


“Aha!” She suddenly squeals. “Is this him?!” We all huddle round the other laptop as she points to the screen. “Del, is that him?”


“Yes, that’s Justin, and…” She pauses as Aunt Cici’s fingers whirl over the keyboards. “Cici, what are you doing?”


“Sending an email.” She grins, and it is almost splitting her face.


“Why?” Daph frowns.


“You will find out in five, four, three, two…” Her phone rings and with a pat to her hair, she puts it on speaker. “Jennifer Taylor, want to tell me how that little mouse of mine is doing?”


“Cicely!” She squeals. “Wait a minute! Craig, are you there yet?”


“Yes! Cici, how are you?! Where are you? Are you somewhere we can come to right now?!”


“I am with a friend you know.”


“Who?”


“Me. Jennifer, Craig it’s Delores.” Mom replies, still frowning at how this has come about.


“Delores?!” Craig shouts. “I need an address! We are coming over now!”


Forty minutes later there is a knocking on the door, and Aunt Cici answers. “Come on! Come meet the rest of the gaggle!”


Another twenty minutes later we’ve found out that Aunt Cici used to nanny for Jennifer and Craig and are hooting with laughter over Daph’s Krieger tales, but Mom isn’t, she looks sad. I follow her to the kitchen. “Hey, Momma Bear, what’s wrong?”


“Oh, nothing, sweetie. I just…” She sighs. “No, there is something, you know that recording you gave to Graham?” I nod. “Well it got worse, a whole lot worse. He has a notebook. And...and he details every bit of abuse that Brian suffered.”


“Well that’s good because he can…”


“He caused some of it.” She interrupts, and I gawk at her. “He would let his dad know, I don’t know how, but he would, and…”


“What?” We both turn to the owner of the voice and find Aunt Cici there. “You will come out here and you will explain.”


An hour later, I am fuming, Craig is holding onto Jennifer and Daph is being cuddled by Mom.


“Why there?”


“Why have it at all?!” Jennifer snarls, and I shut right the fuck up and she smiles at me. “Sorry, Riley, it’s just so abhorrent, I can’t understand it.”


“What do you mean why there?” Aunt Cici asks.


“I think he means, why was it in the store and not at home? Anywhere but at the store? Am I right?” Daph asks, and picks up her phone as I nod back. “Hang on a second. Hi, Carl, it’s Daph. Look, can you check that thing, see if there is a date anywhere on it?” She drums her nails on the table and that is the only sound in the room, well that and our breathing. “Hey, okay, yeah that’s what I thought. Can you read the last entry for me, please? Okay. Oh right. No problem I will drop her off.” She hangs up and turns to Mom. “You are overnighting, no arguing, unquote.”


“Back to the why question.” Aunt Mami clips out.


“She didn’t know, and I think there is more than one book.” Daph answers. “The last entry in that one is about him going to college, and at the bottom of the page it says to be continued….”


“So the question is…”


“Where’s the rest of them?” Craig growls. “Who found this one?”


“Hopper, his soon to be ex store clerk.” Mom replies and smiles. “I don’t have his number but I know a man who does.”


“Can you get it for me, please?” Craig starts to roll up his sleeves. “May I borrow that laptop, please? Now, let me see here…” He starts to scroll through sites, muttering to himself. “I know he told me about it, now where the hell is it?”


“This darling?” Jennifer shows him her phone and he smiles and nods. “So it runs from Monday to Wednesday, the best day is Tuesday. We need the address of the store.”


“What is going on?” I ask.


”They are getting him out of the store. So that you and I can tear that place afuckingpart so we can find them. He had one there, stands to reason that’s where he has the rest!” Daph retorts.


DE CAPIO ESTATE - SATURDAY MORNING


BRIAN


We spent the rest of the day just relaxing and talking. We were happily surprised when Cyn called to say that Mitchcroft had cancelled, which was why we were going back on Saturday but now we’re going back on Monday morning. But now I have a grumpity Jussin, as he stalks to the car with his eyes half shut. “It’s stupid-a-fucking-clock in the morning!” He bitches as he gets in the back. “I am no longer talking to you, because I am going back to sleep.” He smacks the seat hard to get it comfortable for his grumpy head and slams his eyes shut.


An hour later, I smile at Tigger in the front seat. He may not be talking to me, but he insisted that I stop the car and he got in the front. He reclined the seat back and plopped his hand resentfully on my thigh.


“Tigger, we’re here.” I shake him gently and blue resentful eyes fix on my face. “You’ll like it, I promise. Wind up your seat and just look.”


Huffing, he concentrates on the seat, and I pray that what I am looking at stays the way it is. He finally looks where I am looking, and gasps. “That is the most...oh I wish I had my paints and…”


“Trunk.” I smile, and he shoots out of the car and I follow. “Just in case, there’s also a camera.”


“Where?! Ah found it!” He runs to the front of the car and I can’t help but smile at his passion and enthusiasm, considering he was Mr Sulkypants an hour ago. “Can you check the focus for me? I want it be as sharp as possible.” I move him a tiny bit forward so I can get in behind him and after a few adjustments he takes the picture.



“Just beautiful.” He sighs as he reaches up to stroke my cheek. “I don’t suppose you…”


“How did you not notice the picnic bask…” I don’t get to finish the rest of my sentence, as once again he shoots to the trunk and starts to rootle around in it and I hear a triumphant cry.


“When did you do this?” He asks, coming back to join me with the basket.


“I didn’t. While you were sleeping. I called Carlo and asked if there were good places for you to paint and me to shop...shopping! We didn’t do any!” I exclaim.


“Did you miss shopping?”


“Nope, not at all. But now I have it in my mind, I wouldn’t have a problem going into town tomorrow.”


“Me neither, but right now we eat, and then I can at least get the outline down.”


“Or you could eat and then we make a little noise up here. You have the picture after all…”


“That was going to be my next suggestion.” He smirks and places the basket on the ground, and steps into my open arms. “In fact, why don’t we work up an appetite for…”


I kiss him quiet.


MEL’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


MEL’S BEDROOM


MEL


I know that rhinos are endangered species but I will quite happily kill the one break dancing in my skull.


“Momma.” Gus’s normally sweet voice hurts my ears.


“Mmm.”


“Why are you and Uncle Ben sharing a bed? And can I come in too?”


My eyes fly open and I look across at a very awake Ben. “Gus, can you get me a glass of water, please?” I croak.


“Okay, Momma. Uncle Ben, do you want one as well?”


“Please.” He mutters, staring at the ceiling.


We wait for the door to close before we turn to each other, I cautiously lift the sheets and start to laugh. “Bathroom.” I order, as the smell of booze invades my nostrils. We make our way to brush our teeth, both grinning at each other. “This is your fault.” I say after I wipe my mouth. “And I should be royally pissed right now.”


“Why?” He chuckles, shimmying his hips. “I think it looks great.”


“The fact that it fits you is annoying!” I laugh as I stare at him in my kilt.


“In fairness, it is a maternity kilt, and it was swap night!” He grins. “I have to say you do look good in that singlet and jeans.”


“Momma! Uncle Ben! Uncle Michael and Grandma are here!”


“Gus, did you open the door?!”


“No, Momma, I hearded them!” He shouts back from the other side of the bathroom door.


“Want to mess with stupid?” I chuckle.


“As if you need to ask.”


TUSCAN MOUNTAINS - AN HOUR LATER


JUSTIN


“Oh Brian! Brian oh yes!” I scream as he takes me to the moon and back...again!


“Jesus!” He exclaims and rests his head against the top of my spine. “You feel so good. I can’t wait to not have to use condoms again.”


The entire mountain goes quiet and I slowly turn to look over my shoulder at him and he looks astonished. “I don’t think I heard you correctly. You said, well I think you said…”


“Hang on a second.” He mutters, and gently, as usual, withdraws and pulls me back against him. “Yeah I said it. Surprise to me too. I can…”


“No take backsies.” I sniff and nestle further into his arms.


“Justin. You’re…”


“Yours. End of.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please, if reviewing, be kind and constructive. Thanks