- Text Size +

DELORES


Brian is just staring into space, all tears now gone. There is a coldness to his eyes I have never seen before. Yes, he’s gotten progressively fucked off with the pair of them, but this, this is Davy Jones’s Locker cold. I tap Carl’s shoulder and whisper in his ear that I will be back in a few. He just nods and heads to the cart to start pouring, and my heart aches as the normally ice cool Cynthia has tears pouring down her face!


As I close the door behind me, I trot downstairs and Graham looks up and smiles. “Hey, Graham, how are you doing?”


“Good, Del, all good. What’s with the mass visit? Celebrating?”


“No. Not yet. It’s time. Can you send it, please?” I swallow hard, even having that recording on my phone makes me heave. Carl and I had agreed that Graham would keep the only copy of it so that we would not be forcing Brian to make a decision at anything but his own pace. I made Riley delete it after he sent it to Graham. Sighing, he takes out his phone and, shaking his head, he forwards it to me. “Carl is going to send back-up here, just in case they turn up before he’s ready to see them. But with the party of the century, as she has called it, having to be meticulously planned by the Mother of the Avenue, we doubt that, due to their innate selfishness that they will be anywhere but in their festering middens!


“Del. Del? I said I am going to lock the building down and go home. Can you let him know or is someone going to be with him?”


“Sorry, Graham. Yes, I will let whoever stays know. He won’t be alone tonight...in fact, I know just the person to call.” I scroll through and find the Chief Goose and before I can speak - having told her, as my best friend that we were going to break some heartbreaking news, but not what it is to Brian - she just says she’s on her way. A minute later I gape as Mami is rapping on the door. “What the…” I gasp as I open it but then I burst into tears as the enormity of what they have done and what I have to do hits me.


“Oh, Del. I know. I know.  Now come, dry those tears. Thank you, Graham.” She hands me a tissue that he handed her. “Come on, he has to know. You know this. Once it’s done, it is done. And then we get to do the best part, we get to piece your boy back together.”


I nod into her sodden shoulder and, taking another huge breath, wait for Graham to make his way out before taking her upstairs.


MAMI


Of all the circumstances in which to meet his friends, this would not be the one I chose! But it is what it is. As the elevator makes it way up to hell, I think about the first time we ever met Brian…


Start of flashback

DINER - FIVE YEARS PRIOR


MAMI


Okay then, she’s going to be working here! I look up and down Liberty Avenue, then step inside the diner with the flock...and come to a nauseated stop!


“I take it you are going to be redecorating, Del?” I ask as the usually gigglesome geese are rendered silent!


“No. This has just been done.” She mutters as she looks around it in distaste. “Apparently, the current manageress wanted to put her stamp on the place.”


“And she thought to go with Chernobyl is a Colourful Hell as a theme?” Ceci snickers.


“Shush, Ceci! She’s got to make a good first impression!” I chide her, although inwardly agreeing wholeheartedly. Even Stevie Wonder could see this is a bad idea!


“Not another word!” Del hisses as a tall drink of holy water comes out the back. “That’s my boss! And the woman who did this place is his mother in all but name!”


I hear the snort from the lady behind the counter and turn to her. When I raise an eyebrow she shakes her head. I just nod and smile...me and that lady need to talk some methinks.


“So, Del, can I…” He stops talking as to a woman we all fix him a good stare, and for a few seconds he holds his smug look before it starts to slip. “...is my fly undone?”


“Sadly no.” I tell him. “But we will be back on Wednesday, make sure of two things; one that you are here and it is. And two; that you are going commando and sitting opposite me!” I order with a smile and he goes bright red.


“I...well...yes, will consider that.” He mutters. “So, can I…”


“No, you most definitely cannot. Del, stop fretting, we are not going to molest the morsel. We’re just going to make sure he gets to know his new little family…”


“Again, my boss!” Del asserts.


“Again, new little family.” I retort, and link my arm into his. “Now, bossman, come hither and sit with the zithers and tell us all about your handsome self.”


“I’m gay! Very much gay!” He almost squeaks.


“And I’m old. It doesn’t make you any the less beautiful or desirable; or us any less your new little family, now does it?” Slowly a grin starts to spread across his face, and he shakes his head as he sits down. “Good. Now, you know what I think? I think you’re a FAD and…”


“Are you calling me a passing phase?” He raises an eyebrow.


“No, I am calling you a fucker and dasher. Am I wrong?” I raise my eyebrow and he starts to chuckle. “Good. So let me introduce the flock. You will have us till you piss us off or hurt Del, do not do either unless you want to die before you fall in love.”


“I don’t do love. Well, not the love anyone wants” He responds.


“You do, and you will, honey. Everyone does. You just need to find your jam.” Ceci pats his hand. “They turn up when you don’t expect it, and it hits you so hard you ain’t never letting it go.” His face falls a bit and she tilts up his chin. “That is too beautiful a face to be sad about something it was put on this earth to be happy about. You will find love, and we will help you find it!”


The door chimes open and he does a double take, and we all turn to see where he is drooling. I chuckle and shake my head.


“Damn.” He sighs. “Does he have a name that I can use in my spank bank?”


“Yes. Riley...” Del states. “...son of Delores.” She taps her pad with her pencil as she lets that sink in.


His mouth drops open in mortification. “Oh, please don’t leave! I…”


“Psyche!” She giggles. “Riley! Come meet my boss, he’s a man-eater, but I have already told him you’re off the menu!”


“Mom!” Riley grumbles as he joins us. “Can I call you Brian?” He smirks at him and he nods with a smirk of his own. “But as a matter of interest, what would you have called me in your dreams? The wet ones I mean?”


“This is not happening…” He mutters, almost sliding under the table.

End of flashback


When we get inside, I go straight to him and Justin, who is as beautiful as she described him. “Let me have him, please?” I tell him gently. “Go and wash your face. And someone get them both double shots.”


“I don’t…” Brian begins, but I just shake my head and he allows me to lead him to the sofa.


“My name is Mami. I’m Del’s best friend. And I know most of you from the way she has described you. These them?” He nods and rests against Justin when he sits behind him. “Box them up for me, they are not staying here. You are not having them infect this place.” Carl nods and starts to box them up again.


“I want to read them. I want to know what they told him.” He whispers.


“Will it make you feel better or worse?” Del asks him as I continue rubbing the back of his knuckles.


“Worse. Not knowing is worse.” He starts to tremble and Emmett covers them with a blanket and then hands them each a drink.


“You need to listen to something first and then decide if you want to read them.” Del tells him and with a nod from me she plays the recording. Once that harridan’s voice is silenced and she tells everyone that Michael said the same thing when he came to the diner to talk about the party, he staggers to the bathroom and Carl stops Justin from following.


BATHROOM


CARL


I knock on door with my foot.


“GO AWAY!” He bellows.


“Open the door, son, it’s me.” I order firmly, and after a few beats he clears his throat.


“Not locked.”


“Hands full.” I call back, then breathe out when it opens and I can step inside. “You puke?” He nods. “Water first then. Sip slowly and then neck this back.” Sighing he does as he’s told with both drinks, before leaning back against the shower cubicle.


“I will expunge them from the face of the earth.” He states calmly. “They will be eradicated, rendered extinct.”


“You do what you need to do, just keep it as legal as you can.”


“Pity.” He give a small sneer then sighs again. “Right...let’s make a plan!”


LOUNGE


BRIAN


I hesitate as I approach Justin, but he merely lifts up the blanket and I slide under it.


“What are we going to do?” Cyn asks.


“Have the party as planned…”


“You do realise they think that it’s you who has organised it, and are picking top dollar canapes?” Emmett points out. “Want to see what they have gone for thus far?” I shake my head and he frowns. “I don’t…”


“But it is me organising it. And I want the top dollar stuff, Emmett, no expense spared.” I start to smile.


“They’re not going to get to taste it are they?”


“No, the only thing they will taste is the truth of my words!” I spit before looking around the room. “And I know you guys mean well and are worried, but I really want to…”


“No.” Justin interrupts firmly. “You are not going to be alone tonight. Even if I have to stay on the couch, I am staying.”


“We are staying.” Ted corrects him. “Blake is on his way, and we’ve cleared the week. No amount of Kinney cliff pushing or death glaring is getting rid of us...no amount of it.” He gets that little seen stubborn set to his jaw and holds my gaze. “No, Brian.”


“Okay. But if anybody fucking snores they go straight out again! Emmett, you need to get some food sorted out...I can’t eat, but judging by that low rumble of hunger, I know a Tigger that can.” When he gives me a small squeeze of agreement, my heart flutters just a bit. “So, you guys need to go and get your…” I trail off as they have tiny smirks on their faces. “Your stuff is downstairs isn’t it?”


“Yes.” Del replies. “Carl, me, Justin, Ted and Cyn are staying. The rest are going to go to Mel’s when we’re finished here. Justin, I will call your mom to let her know that you know.”


“My mom knew?!” He exclaims. “Why didn’t she tell me?! I am so…”


“We told her not to. You were in Tuscany having a great time, why ruin that?” Carl explains gently. “Besides, your father has a little surprise for Michael too! Now come on people, let’s move!”


“Speaking of fathers...I am going to call Vic, he should be here too.” Emmett declares and I just nod.


PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - THURSDAY AFTERNOON


DEPARTURE LOUNGE


LINDSAY


I have been trying Andrew for the last few days, but even though my number is not blocked, he is refusing to return my calls. I have no other choice but to go back to Canada and confront him with what has happened. When I told Debs that I could no longer host her party, she wanted to know what the emergency was exactly. I told her firmly it is none of her business. Michael is now going to be the host with the least, so that’s going to be a bit of shitshower for her! The only thing I will regret about not going is reconnecting with the Taylors...but there will be ample opportunities for that when I return.


The store has been closed for the last three days because of some convention that Michael was creaming his jeans over. He got lucky in the draw, and was boasting to Hopper about it until Hopper told him about his Access All Areas pass for the Tuesday and Wednesday. He was so fucked off that he has refused to open at all this week.


The one thing that has made me smile throughout all of this recent trauma is that Michael has continued to pay me for barely doing any work. Okay, it is not as much as it would be if Mel or Brian were footing the bill, but the $60,000 per year for being store manager and Head of PR and Personnel for Red Cape Comics Inc. is a pretty penny!


I try Andrew again, and this time he picks up. “What do you mean what do I want? You and I need to talk. Remember that orgy we went to? Well I have been left with a little surprise! Oh no, Andrew, this needs to be said face to face and with your wife present. It will impact her too after all. I land at six, clear the day tomorrow, Andrew, you will need it!”


I hang up with a smile and move forward in the queue. The combination of the salary and his support money, will have me set for a very long while, and I get to be a mother again, and this time there will be no harping and carping Mel telling me how I should be doing it.  And even better, I can also reconnect with my parents...they will want to meet their got through the old fashioned way grandchild!


LIBERTY AVENUE - SAME TIME


DEBS


As I stroll down the street, waving at my neighbours and friends, I can’t help but feel the frisson in the air. I think it’s the momentous sense of occasion, I mean, the who’s who of Liberty Avenue, PFLAG and the gayborhood are going to be there tomorrow. It is going to be awesome. I frown as I see Emmett coming out of his shop and lock the door.


“Ems! Hey Ems!” I shout out, and cross the road quickly to catch him up. “I thought you were closed these last two weeks?”


“I was, but I am preparing for the Party for the Return of the Queen Mother of the Avenue, and I forgot something.”


“A very small something.” I point to his empty hands.


“Oh, for fuck sake! I have no idea where my head is at today!” He grimaces and then pauses. “Did you actually want me?”


“Oh no, I just happened to see you. I’m making sure that everyone is coming tomorrow, wearing their finest.”


His jaw drops. “You are actually going door to door doing this?” His eyes widen when I nod. “Well then, who am I to detain you further? La di da!” He chuckles, and heads back into his shop, but before I can say anything the door is shut.


EMMETT


I watch her walk down the street and almost slide to the floor in relief and revulsion. I am about to step out again when my phone beeps, and it’s the other author. Swallowing down bile, I accept the call. “Michael, what can I do for you? Are you checking up on party progress again? Have things changed number or location wise? No. Well then, I can't tell you anymore new details since your last call, about 2 hours ago.” I roll my eyes and wish I had orbing powers, so I could be there removing my gauntlet wearing fist from his oesophagus in which is clutched what he calls his heart. “Michael, I am trying to be very patient here, but I can’t make it the party of the fucking century if you keep interrupting my progress to ask me how the fuck it is going?! Now hang up and don’t call me, I will call you!” I cut him off and then send all calls to voicemail. The sooner they are gone the better!


KINNETIC - AN HOUR LATER


BRIAN’S OFFICE


FRED, BRIAN’S ATTORNEY


I take the brandy with a shaking hand and in silence. Mel had emailed me most of the contents of the books but I didn’t have time to read them but now I wish I had, nothing can prepare you for the full horror or what they perpetrated.


“So it seems that Mrs Novotny started the trend of telling your father what you got up to. Did you find any books that she wrote or is it just what he says she said?”


Brian shrugs. “I haven’t been allowed to read them. They were taken away by Mel and Ben.”


“Good.” I give him a small smile, which he doesn’t return. There is a coldness around him now, an understandable one, I hope it doesn’t last. I am so glad they are getting this out of the way sooner rather than later. “So, with regards to restraining orders…”


“No, no restraining orders. Let them roam where they will.” He interrupts and Mel and I gape at him. “No.” He repeats.


“Okay, there is nothing that legally ties you to them. So they can’t come at you that way. Job wise, she’s got nothing on you there. Now the store, Mel. What about that?”


“I have sold my share of the store to Craig Taylor, he’s Justin’s father.” She begins. “And…”


“Sorry who’s Justin?”


“Brian’s boy...partner.” She replies and smiles at him but again nothing apart from a curl of his lip. “He’s his very supportive partner.” She emphasises.


“For now until he wises up.” He mutters.


I am about to say something but she shakes her head. “So, he’s bought my side of the store and is going to offer Michael an obscene amount of money for his share.”


“Can I ask why?” I frown.


“In return they agree to leave Liberty Avenue never to return.”


I scoff and shake my head. “They may say they will do that, but in the brief time that I have met them, I doubt that they will do that. And giving them money to spend is...”


“Nobody will take their money here. Nobody will have them here. They will be as rich as Croesus, but it means nothing if you can’t part with it. It will spread like a wildfire...the moment I stop speaking and anyone who does take their money will find themselves suffering the same fate.” He growls.


I swallow hard and just nod. “So, with regards to the children. The parental rights of…”


“Me. I knew this would happen and I think it is best that…”


“Brian? Brian, look at me! I know what you are thinking! Stop that!” Mel bellows. “I know you would never willingly hurt Justin, they were a devastating set of circumstances and even then you didn't do anything! You stopped…”


“I didn’t! Someone stopped me! I would’ve…” He interrupts again.


“No, you wouldn’t have, and you know you wouldn't have! And don’t you dare fucking go down that other route. There is no scenario possible that you would hurt Gus! You are an amazing father! I am SO sorry it took me so long to admit it! Gus couldn't ask for a better father than you! I can only imagine how much pain you must feel about all the betrayal you had to suffer but you need to believe me that we will stay! We won't go away, Gus isn’t going anywhere! I guarantee you that you won't lose him! I would never do that to you or to Gus! He would be so sad without his Daddy! Did you hear me?! Are you listening?! Nod if you listened and that you believe me!” It’s small but there is a nod. “And the same goes for Jenny, Tyson and Justin. He, especially, would be devastated to lose you because of them.”


He looks at her for a few minutes before turning back to face me. “His parental rights, you were saying, she hasn’t told me what’s happening.”


“Stripping him of them. I went back to Iris the Ironclad and she revoked them immediately…”


“Did you show her them?” He asks and she nods. “Now that's great! Who’s next? The Washington Post? Pittsburgh Gazette? The New York fucking Times?”


“No, Brian, of course not! But...” She sighs and takes a breath. “You have every right to be furious. I shouldn't have shown them to her. At least not without asking you first. But after what he did, after we now know what he is capable of? It makes me sick, that he calls himself her father and that he has the right to have a say in how to raise her. And then there is Deb and thinking that Jenny has to spend time with her as well and has to listen to their spiteful, evil...” She starts to cry.


He stands up and takes her in his arms. “Hey, it’s ok! I know how you feel, you are right! He can’t be her father anymore, both of them don’t deserve to be in her, in our lives anymore! Just...should there ever be a next time, just ask, okay?”


“I promise.” She sniffs and I almost weep as he kisses her forehead and they both retake their seats. “So, they have been revoked like I said but only temporarily, the full revocation papers will follow. This is just something to show him right now as he won’t take my word for it. Especially after what happened at the weekend with Ben and me.”


“What happened?” He quirks his lip.


“We went out dancing the night before and it was sex-swap night...just the clothes!” She adds as he goes to say something. “So we came back and changed, him into my maternity kilt and crop top and me into his jeans and singlet. Thankfully, Del and Carl were looking after the kids as we came back hammered.” She chuckles as he seemingly gets lost in a memory. “He spoke highly of you too.” He gives a mock salute. “We crashed out fully clothed and Gus caught us, naturally they decide to pitch up unannounced and Gus innocently says we were in bed together…”


For the first time in, what I should imagine is, days he starts to grin. “How loud and what colour?” We look puzzled. “How loud did he get and what colour was his face?”


“Oh I see.” She snickers. “Could be heard from space and the Whoopi movie, especially when he adjusted his cock in his robe.”


“Whoopi movie?” I query.


“The Colour Purple.” He explains with a quiet chuckle. “I must remember that.


I look through the papers to double check that everything is finalised. “That's us done. Now before I go, are you absolutely sure about the…”


“No restraining orders.”


JUSTIN’S DESK


JUSTIN


I try not to get angry or cry at the lack of response to my IM but it hurts...I just want to make it all better. I spoke to my folks last night and I can’t wait to get my hands on that store....I am going to turn it into something that it most probably never was...a happy place.


“Mr Slim.” My head shoots up at Brian’s voice. “A word if I may?”


“Yes, of course, Mr Kinney.” I ache to pull him into my arms as he looks so shattered, almost broken, even worse than when they came to his loft. As I follow him in silence, instead of going to the office he leads me to an empty conference room.


“I know I am handling this, where you are concerned, badly. But I need time to…”


“I understand. But just don’t shut me out. That’s all I ask, don’t close off on me.”


He reaches for my cheek but then drops his hand. “I’ll try. All I can do is promise to try.”


“That’s all I ask.”


“Go home Mr Slim, you look done in.” He orders gently.


“I look...I’m more worried about you.”


“I’ll be fine. I survived the heat of my old man, the coldness of his wife and I will come through this. I’m a fight...I mean I’ll come through it. Now that’s an order. Go home. Tomorrow’s going to be a big day...an exorcism if you will. They will be the Walking Dead.”


“Brian…” I begin but he shakes his head. “...just promise to let me know when you get home that’s all.”


“I promise.” He whispers and then leaves me alone with my thoughts and fears.


DEBS’S HOUSE - FRIDAY MID-MORNING


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


I throw my phone down on the sofa, annoyed as yet again Brian is in a meeting. I was told bluntly by Ted that if I want him to come tonight to stop fucking calling! I look up when I hear Ma coming down the stairs, with her outfit in her hand. She looks at me and sighs.


“What?”


“Ironing board. I asked you to get it out for me so that I can press my stuff for tonight.”


“Oh yeah. Forgot.”


“How can you forget between the landing and the lounge?”


“I was trying to speak to Brian. About your party, which he...” I begin to point out.


“What for? You’re going to see him tonight. You constantly interrupting him is going to piss him off and make him late! And he’s normally late for most things, I am not having him add you as a reason to be even later!” She holds out her hand and I frown. “Your phone, give it to me. You don’t have it you can’t phone him...or Emmett!” I scowl as I hand it over. “I thought I was bad, but you’ve called him 27 times. He is starting to get very pissed indeed.”


“I just want everything perfect for you.” I reply.


“And between Brian and Emmett, they will make sure it will be.” She smiles proudly. “Now go and get your things and I’ll pass the iron over them.”


“Yes Ma.” I sigh but keep the annoyance out of my voice.


Between Brian and Emmett, they will make sure it will be! I picked some of the food surely that should count for something?! And I can’t believe she also said Hopper could come! When he told me about his triple A pass I was so fucking cross! How did he get that and I didn’t! I was going to ask Brian to pay for one but he was still in fucking Tuscany! He and I are going to talk about that...he was supposed to come back on Saturday and at least back me up with some of my stylistic choices for the diner. I wanted to put it back to how it was before Delores arrived but she said the owners wouldn’t allow that not even for one night!


“Michael! Stop daydreaming and get your stuff!” Ma bellows jolting me out of my thoughts and I hurry to my room.


4TH FLOOR LOFT - EARLY EVENING


LOUNGE


BRIAN


I look longingly at the cart but know I want...no I need to be sober for this. I look in the mirror and as I check myself over I spot my cell on the table. As promised I had sent him a brief text to say that I got home okay last night. I pick it up and spot the one word that gives me hope...RIBBIT!

 

And with that in mind, I swallow hard and make my way to the diner.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks