- Text Size +


PETER’S ROOM


PETER


“John’s right, he has to go and speak to someone, and he has to say yes to you going after them!” I exclaim, having been told what those fucking bastards have done!


“He may be right; but it’s your Uncle’s decision, and nobody but him can make it.” Arthur replies.


“Well, I have made two decision, just like John!” I declare, and smile at my brother who nods in encouragement. “I don’t want his name for my middle name anymore, and I...I want to call you Dad as well. Would that be…”


“Wonderful, that would be wonderful!” Dad smiles at me, and then does something I am still not used to; he kisses me on the forehead. “Hang on, John, what’s your second decision? Peter said that you made two.”


“No more Junior.” He answers. “No more.”


“Why, as a matter of interest?” Mom had come in when I started to swear when John told me.


“Because of Gus, he just called me John. When everyone copied him, it felt better than being Junior.” John answers with a small smile. “And when we were playing in the bedroom, he said that we were so lucky…” He chuckles. “...because you gets to share my Daddy with me, just like Jenny. He’s the best Daddy in the world, and he calls me Sonny Boy because he loves me so much. And, and I realised that I couldn’t say the same about John Snr, so I don’t want to be Junior anymore.”


“I see.” Dad nods. “Do you want to keep your middle name though?”


“No. Peter and I have discussed it, and we want the same middle name and surname. Go on then, it was your idea lil bro!”


I can’t help the smile that spreads across my face. “John Kinney and Peter Kinney Fitzgerald. That way we belong to both of you.” I tell him.


This time it’s Dad that bursts into happy tears.


BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE - LATE MORNING


MASTER BEDROOM


JUSTIN


He’s still asleep. We were up for hours just talking it through…


Start of flashback

BALCONY - AN HOUR AFTER EVERYONE HAS GONE


“What should I do?” He asks, I still his flicking fingers and he gives me a rueful smile.


“What would you advise me to do?”


“Kill them, have plastic surgery and leave the country.” He snarks.


“Not now, okay?” I rebuke him gently. “What would you advise me to do?”


“Weigh up the facts. Is it worth what will happen when everyone finds out?”


“What’s so bad about everyone finding out?” He looks scandalised. “Let me try that again, why is so bad for you that everyone finds out?”


“Because…” He stalls. “...people will think that I’m stu…” He trails off.


“Stupid? Why the fuck would they think you were stupid?!” I know why he thinks that, but he needs to say it and then listen to my response.


“They made a fool of me! They took advantage of me! They let him hurt me!”


“They! They! They!” I yell back at him. “And everyone does know! The Avenue knows remember? And you can bet your ass that they have not kept quiet about the shit they’ve done! They have yet to say sorry! They have justified and rationalised! But if it was the other way around, they would drag your bloody ass through every fucking court in the land until they got justice! Well, let’s show them what justice feels like!” I kneel in front of him and take his surprisingly cold hands in mine. “Do you remember what Vic read in the diner and what you read in the loft? He did that because you had the nerve to grow up! To want to be better. To not want to settle for the life he wanted you to live. She did what she did because, let’s face it, you are the son she wanted and now will never have! His inferiorities were, and are, glaringly obvious when she compared the two of you!”


“No shit, Sherlock. I’m 6 foot 2, gorgeous, hung like a horse and have a beautiful partner. He’s the total opposite, and can’t draw for shit!”


“Um...hate to say it, but you do have that in common.” He gapes at me. “Brian, I love you, but you really can’t draw for shit!”


“Fuck you!” He bitches, but is beginning to smile.


“You do on a regular basis.” I stand up and stretch, he lifts my top to mouth my stomach and I groan. “But not now. Now, you need to have a nice hot bath and…”


We need to have a bath, and we need to arrange a meeting with The Gaggle and Arthur.” I am delighted to see the fire return to his eyes. “I am, and I fucking hate to say this with a passion, the victim here and I will remain the victim if I don’t speak out...” I squeeze his hand to encourage him to finish. “...I want the world to know I survived in spite of them.”


MASTER BEDROOM - AN HOUR LATER


He picks up the phone and then puts it back down again. “I’m so fucking stupid! So much for my bravado outside! I can’t! I just can’t!”


“Give me the phone, Brian.” I order gently, and at first I don’t think he’s going to but slowly he hands it to me. “Who do you want me to call, and what do you want me say for you?” He freezes. “With you, I am fighting this with and for you, so who first?”


“Mel. She has to get the books from Mami.”


“Okay, give me one second. Do you want it on speaker?” A brisk nod. “I need the code please.”


His expression softens. “Day and month we flew out to Tuscany.” I stroke his thigh and wait for the call to connect.


“Hey Brian, how you feeling?” Mel asks quietly. “Shall I get your Dad for you?”


“Hi Mel, it’s Justin. Can you just bear with me a second…” I put her on mute. “...squeeze my hand if something is good for you, okay?” Squeeze. “So shall she get your Dad?” Nothing. “Your dad and Ben?” Squeeze. “Okay. Sorry to be so long Mel. Brian has asked me to make the call…”


“Is he okay?” Her worry is palpable.


“He’s okay, can you get his Dad and Ben please?”


“One sec, I’m going to the Annex.” We listen to her running and then murmuring.


“Son?” Vic’s voice comes over. “Son?”


“He can’t…”


“Dad. I am going to instruct Arthur to go after them, but once I do there is no going back.”


“Good, I am so proud of you.”


“We all are.” Ben states firmly.


“What do you need me to do, Brian?” Mel asks.


“Get the books from Mami and send them over to Arthur. I know it’s too late now but…”


“Del called her on the way home. Carl told her to, he said that you just needed to think it through, so they will be here before two.” Vic interrupts. “And then she and The Gaggle are taking them to Arthur.”


“Why?” I frown.


“Because she said so!” Ben explains. “And I was not going to argue with that voice!”


“Yeah, I think that she was the only septuagenarian who demanded that I go commando in front of her the next time we meet, and when we did, she checked!” He blushes.


“Seriously?! How?!” Mel giggles.


“She…” He just shakes his head and leans across to whisper it to me. “...Taylor Swear not to share?”


“Brian! She didn’t?! That’s...that’s...oh you have a Taylor Swear that is never being shared!”


“Now Brian, I am your father and I demand to know what salacious thing she did to you!” Vic laughs.


“No. This Tigerish Tigger wants a Kinney Promise that you won’t tell anyone other than me that!”


“I Kinney Promise!” He says quickly.


“Darnit!” Ben exclaims and we all laugh for a while.


“So, are you guys ready for this?” He asks.


“Yes.” Vic reassures him. “You have a Miller, Marcus and Bruckner Promise that you are not alone.”


“Thank you.” He says before yawning hugely as the enormous weight is lifted off his shoulders.


“Okay, guys, my man needs sleep. We will…”


“Book Monday off, Brian, and you too, Justin. Understand?”


“Yes, Dad.” He yawns again. “Goodnight all.”


“Goodnight.” They call back.


We sit in silence for a few minutes. “And so it begins.” He leans his head on my shoulder.


“Come on my little goose, under the blankets with you.” I order, chuckling.


“Shut up.” He pouts, blushing again.


“Oh, come on. I always wondered why you called them The Gaggle...I thought it was because they chattered like geese, not that she actually goosed you to check!” He looks balefully up at me. “Spoon?” I suggest and he opens his arms but I shake my head. “I spoon you.”


“I love you.” He whispers as he sinks into my embrace, and within minutes he’s asleep.

End of flashback


I move from around him and he doesn't wake up. While the ego part of me is somewhat insulted, I understand. After brushing my teeth, I head to the kitchen and check the fridge. Vic texted me to say that he would be staying with Mel and Ben until Monday evening, and that Mel had already told Cyn we weren’t coming in until Tuesday.


I look at the time, definitely brunch, which means more than a damn apple for him so I don’t have to bat his fingers out of my plate!


OUTSIDE MAMI’S HOUSE - SAME TIME 


PEARL


“Dammit, will you hurry up?! I am not getting stuck in traffic because of you!”


“I’m coming!” Mami hollers as she locks up, and, just for extra security, bumps her hip twice against the door. She pauses as she comes down the path and I grind my teeth.


“Now what?”


“The pie!” She groans and heads back into the house. “We promised Gus that we would bring him the apple pie!”


“And the ice cream! It’s in my freezer, be five minutes!”


DEBS AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


Ma and I were woken up by the garbage truck first thing this morning. Who the hell collects garbage on a Sunday?! But then we heard them shouting and heard the words ‘Vic’ and ‘Gus’, so we quickly got dressed and called a cab.


“I told you that we should’ve leased a new car straight after you gave ours back to Ted and Ben!” She bitches as she checks her watch again. “Where the fuck is this cab?!”


“Ma, you insisted that I pay Lindsay her severance, and that took a sizeable amount of money. Then there’s...”


“But you gave the cars away before that. Tomorrow, we will go and lease or buy a car for each of us, capiche?!” She storms, and I am about to come up with another excuse not to spend my money, when she clips me around the ear. “I said capiche?!” I nod quickly, my face red, not with pain or embarrassment but with anger. “Cab’s here! Move it! I have grandchildren to see and…”


“To rip a brother and his son a new asshole each?” I venture with a smirk.


“Oh hell yeah!” She laughs.


As we set off, I am relieved and pissed off at the same time. Relieved as I get to see Brian, and pissed off that, yet again, I am shelling out money that I don’t want to! The rent on this place is astronomical, but Ma insisted on it, saying that it reminded her of her old place!


I don't miss that place at all, well I do because that was the first place Brian and I touched. But not as much as I miss my store though, When that fucktoy’s father wanted all my inventory in the store and storage, I couldn’t believe my luck, especially when I demanded and got another $50K on top of that.


The one thing I refused to give up though was my Captain Astro comic. Not because of any memories of that shithead, but because I had someone else already lined up for it. But then the freeze out began. He suddenly lost interest, and all my usual contacts aren’t returning my calls or emails. On top of that, the fucktoy’s father made so much money when he went to auction and Ma laughed when I told her. But the thing that is breaking my heart is that on my usual sites my bids are being rejected, no matter how much more I offer!


Ma’s jab to my ribs brings me out of my melancholy. “Sorry, Ma, what did you say?”


“I said we should be there in 20 minutes. Use that time to look up garages, so we don’t have to fuck about later!”


“Yes, Ma.”


BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


JUSTIN


He looks deliciously rumpled as he pads into the kitchen. “What time is it?”


“Guava juice o’clock.” I reply, and hand him a glass. He chuckles and then drains it.


“And what is that in Eastern Daylight Time?” He wraps his arms around me and kisses my neck.


“1130 and brunch time.” I tilt my head as he plants butterfly kisses down to my collarbone. “Come on, you need to eat. Go and sit on the balcony, it’s a beautiful day.” I elbow him gently and with one more kiss he heads outside.


BALCONY


BRIAN


Whatever he has cooked smells great and seems to be enormous! He puts the platter down and I groan in pleasure and pain in equal measure. “Justin, what is that?!”


“Almond, berry and banana breakfast tacos with a smidgen of grated dark chocolate and mint.” He grins at the put upon expression I have. “Oh, and a steaming mug of Blue.” He calls over his shoulder.


“We are so going for a run later!” I holler.


“Tomorrow. We are not doing anything like that today!” He declares as he sits down and then smiles.


“What?” I mumble around a mouthful of taco.


“Nothing.” He replies, and out comes the tongue, this time with a little flicker.


“Impertinent imp.” I growl. “I will be doing something about that later.”


“Look forward to it.” He grins, but there’s something off.


“What is it?” I ask.


“I’ve been thinking. A...about the store.”


“The Gimp’s store?” I frown and he nods. “What about it?”


“What could it be used for instead of what it was?” I sit back and look at him. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…it’s just that with the house, it’s yours so you’ve got nothing to jolt you there when you go to it. In your mind it was yours, if you see what I mean.” He is starting to babble like he does when he thinks I’m about to explode.


“Yes, and breathe between words.” I rub my foot up his calf and he smiles in relief.


“So, with the store…”


“Counselling service.” I reply, and he drops his fork.


“That’s…” He begins as a sunshine smile begins to spread across his face. “...brilliant!”


“It is rather isn’t it?” I give him my version of his smile.


MEL AND THE KIDS HOUSE - 10 MINUTES LATER


KITCHEN


MEL


The Gaggle have just gone with the books and the children! When Gus heard his Gramma Mami’s voice, he was down like a shot and then he saw the pie and ice cream. They managed to get it in the fridge and freezer without tasting, but when he found out where they were going, I completely caved and called Claire, who was more than happy to have them and Tyson!


Ben comes sauntering into the kitchen. “They’re here!” He singsongs.


“Who are? Oh them.” I smile. “It was to be expected. Where’s Vic?”


“On his way.” He pulls out a couple of mugs. “He’s just called Carl.”


“Great. What do you want for break...brunch?”


“Not sure just yet, but let’s put that in the fridge so we can celebrate their dignified departure when it happens.” He hands me a bottle of champagne. “Better make it two.” He guffaws.


“Should I knock on the window to attract their attention?!” Vic calls from the lounge.


“No, that would make it invalid.” I advise as we join him to watch the Stomp of the Stupids as they try and find the right house.


“Besides, it will give me time to get something.” Ben laughs as he heads back to his annex.


STREET OUTSIDE THE HOUSE


DEBS


“I am telling you, Michael, it is that one!” I jab my finger at the house. I am fuming. Not only did we get stuck in traffic, but we also forgot the icebox cake! Well, when I say we, I mean Michael. I said to him twice, remember your daughter’s favourite cake, and what did the asshole do? He bought his favourite cake!


“Ma, that’s not even the same colour door! Look, it’s this one!” He shows me the picture on his phone again and, sighing, I concede that for once he is right. “Can we knock now?!”


“Watch it! You ain’t speaking to Mel!” I bark at him, and then shove him forward. “You want to knock, so knock!”


Straightening himself up, he marches down the path and I look around. I had spotted a place for rent as we came down the street, which would be perfect for us to move into!


“Can you believe she actually called it Highwater?” He scoffs as he continues to rap the knocker.


“Yeah, Lindsay must be really pissed, wherever she is.” I laugh. We’ve not seen her since her payoff, and while part of me is dying to know what her parents thought of her behaviour, I am relieved that nobody will ever know about my book!


“I think I hear someone!” Michael whispers having had his ear pressed to the door. “Yeah, someone is coming.”


“Remember to let me do the talking!” I glare at him, and although I can’t see his face, I can hear his eyes rolling. But now is not the time to be issuing head slaps, they need to see us as united!


The door opens and we are greeted by Ben. “Drag Queen and The Gimp, how awful to see you two again.”


“At least you are dressed this time!” Michael bitches.


“You need to leave.” Mel joins him by the door.


“No, we need to see Jenny!” I demand. “And then we are going to have a word with Vic, now what is his surname again, oh yes, Grassi! We know where he lives too!”


“There is no Vic Grassi, there is a Vic Miller.” Vic’s voice comes from my left, he’s leaning out of the window. “Like Mel said, you need to leave.”


“We want to see Jenny, and we’re…” I rail and then stop when he starts to laugh. “What’s so fucking funny?!”


“I can hear your song in the distance. Now excuse me, I’m going to start brunch.”


“He lives here now?!” I demand. “And what’s this bullshit about a song?!”


“Leave.” Mel repeats.


“We will leave when we are good and fucking ready!” Michael explodes. “Now let us in!” He takes a step forward, but we both take a couple of steps back when Ben comes out of the house. “Don’t you dare fucking touch me!”


“I won’t sully my hands with the likes of you, I will never make that mistake again. A bit like Brian, you know, since he didn’t finish that handjob...”


“Vic, come quick!” Mel shouts. “I think it’s going to happen!”


“What is going to happen?” Michael starts to cower. Jesus have some balls!


“A few home truths and a little bonfire!” Ben snarls. “You were the original Michael! You were the reason for his no-repeat policy, or in your case, the no-way policy! And you know how you wanted to know in intricate detail what happened at the White Party? Well, I left out a teensy little detail.” He starts to laugh. “Oh my God, it was just perfect! Remember that tie me up make up sex we had after yet another row about Brian?”


“Tie me up make up sex?” I echo and Michael’s face is starting to drain of colour. “Michael? Michael what is it?”


“Oh, for once you’ve realised very quickly haven’t you?” Mel taunts him.


“You fucking bastard!” Michael screams, his face white with fury.


“Why? You wanted to be fucked by Brian, so I did as you wanted, but I just fucked you over instead.” He turns to me. “In answer to your question, DQ, I tied him up the same way that Brian tied me up and nailed me to the mattress. His words in the morning, not mine. Oh, and I’m a great lay. Again, his words. Something I doubt that anyone will say about either of you. Now, for the bonfire.”


VIC


I had asked why Ben had put the bucket in the brazier last night, but he just had an enigmatic smile and said wait and see. He pulls something out from the back of his jeans and shows it to Michael, and, judging by that expression, it is something very important.


“What are you...no!” He screams as there is a ripping sound.


“It gets better!” Ben sneers as he drops it in the bucket and quickly lights a match, there is a poof that has all three of them stepping back, but while Ben is laughing, The Gimp has sunk to his knees and DQ is looking both disgusted and bewildered.


“What was that?” I ask as Ben quickly covers the brazier with the lid, and he grins wider as the squad cars pull up. “Ah, your orchestra has arrived!” I call out and point behind them.


“What the hell now?!” She bellows. “We haven’t done anything! All we want to do is see my grandchild and his daughter!”


“You breached the restraining orders.” The large female officer tells her, approaching with handcuffs.


“What restraining orders?!” The Gimp rejoins the party when his hands are forced behind his back.


“The ones I gave her in the hotel, banning you both from coming within 10 miles of me, the kids, Vic, Ben and Tyson...odd I know, but thought I would cover all bases!” Mel growls. “Get them off my property!”


“Yes ma’am!” The officer declares, and starts to haul DQ to the car while Mirandizing her, the last thing I see of The Gimp is his tearful face looking towards the bin.


“His Captain Astro comic.” Ben answers as we step back inside.


“What?!” Mel gasps.


“Yeah. He left his precious in the trunk of the car.” He reaches for the glasses and the champagne. “Time to toast I think.”


“Oh very good!” I snort.


BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE - 30 MINUTES LATER


MASTER BEDROOM


BRIAN


His eyes are slowly closing, and I am reminded of my first wank imaging that beautiful face and how hot and tight he would feel. In my vivid imagination, he was chanting my name as I sank deeper and deeper into him with each thrust, and now he is. “Open, I want to see!” I plead before sucking that naughty tongue into my mouth.


“Mmm-mmm-mmm!” He groans, and tightens his legs around my waist so I start to thrust quicker and quicker, he tugs on my hair. “Oh! Oh!” He whimpers.


“There! You are almost there, aren’t you?!” I croon and start to slow down.


“Brian!” He protests and starts to move his hips but stops when I shake my head. “Wh...why?!”


“Edging for that very naughty tongue of yours.” I breathe into his ear.


“Soclosesoclose!” He burbles. “Please! Please! Please!”


“Promise not to do it again?” I thrust twice.


“Yes! Yes!” He nods frantically.


“Wrong answer.” I purr and stop.


“No! Will keep doing it! Will keep...aaaaah aaaaah aaaah!” He screams as I thrust and tug on his steel hard cock at the same time then he explodes.


“YES! OH GOD YES!” I bellow as I follow seconds later, I slump down and gulp some air. Once I do the hated part, we lie in each other’s arms kissing softly and smiling.


GGGGGRRRROOOOOWWWWLLLLL!


“I said I was still hungry!” He giggles as I gawk at the noise his stomach has just made. “It’s your fault!”


“No it’s not.” I laugh after I help him to sit up. “It was your teasing tongue that got you into this screaming, begging and well fucked position!”


“True!” He laughs and slowly stands up. “And I fully intend to get back in that position again later!


COMFORT INN HOTEL - 5 HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


DEBS


I stare across the room and don’t feel fucking comfortable at all! When we were finally released with a fine, we couldn’t fucking go indoors when we got home!  And why?! Because that fucking Mami had my grandchildren at her house…


Start of flashback

OUTSIDE DEBS AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - 3 HOURS PRIOR


As we pull up outside the house, Michael still seems to be in a trance, and it takes a bit of a shove and finally a kick to get him out of the cab.


“Ms Grassi and Mr DeVore!” A voice calls out and I turn to glower at Pearl.


“What do you want?!” I snap.


“You can’t go in!” She retorts just as sharply.


“And why not?!”


“Because Gus and Jenny are with their Gramma Mami and the rest of The Gaggle; and you’ve got that restraining order...remember?” She looks so pleased I could punch her. “Now I suggest that you take…”


“She is not her or his Gramma anything!” I hiss, but she merely smiles wider. “I am…”


“Nothing. Fading away like an unpleasant dream.” She makes a show of taking out her phone. “You see, since that, uh, statue doesn’t have his rights that means you have no granddaughter. And now that you are dead to Brian, you have no grandson.”


“I don’t believe you! Prove it!” I demand.


“Oh, I so hoped you would say that…” She dials a number. “...Mami, it’s Pearl.”


“What are you FaceTiming with me for?!” I hear her gravelled filled with laughter voice. “Uh, hold on, Pearl. Gus, baby, you can’t have that now. It’s not cooked, and it’s for dessert.”


“Aww are you sured proper sured?!” Gus questions, and my heart breaks into a million pieces.


“Yes, I’m sured...I mean sure! Now go back and help, but don’t eat!”


“Okay, Gramma Mami!” He yells.


“So what’s with...is that who I think that is?!” I look across and see that she has her blinds pulled up and is glaring at us


“Oh yes, the wanderers have returned.” Pearl sneers. “But are refusing to leave, as she doesn’t seem to believe that Gus and Jenny are here…” She looks across at Michael. “...he seems to have been turned into stone for some reason, for which I am profoundly grateful!”


“Let me take a picture and send it to you, Pearl, since she wants proof! If she’s stupid enough to wait for you to show it to her while I call the police, then that’s her look-out!”


“No!” I cry. “I believe you! I believe you!”


“So, in words you will understand, get your fat and his saggy ass out of here!”


“When can we come back?” I ask.


“When their Mommy calls you to say you can. Oh, wait, she won’t call you because that would invalidate the restraining order. Such a Catch-22 for you. Shame!” Her laughter rings in my ears as she strides back across the road.

End of flashback


“Michael!” I snap as he keeps staring forlornly at the blank TV screen.


“I can’t believe it…” It’s the first words he’s spoken since we left the station. Other than to confirm his name and address, he’s been silent.


“Neither can I...” I sigh, feeling sorry for him, because when he tried he was a good father.


“Just like that, poof, and it was gone!”


“Not the fucking comic, you moron!” I yell, and this time give him a good slap that has him jerking forward. “That we are here because of those restraining orders!”


“Stop fucking hitting me around the head!” He bellows. “Or for shit and giggles, I will hit you back!”


“Oh you would, would you?! After all that I have done for you, gave up for you, you dare threaten to hit me? Me? Your mother?!”


“I dare very much!” He snaps. “I am sick and tired of you treating me like I’m a child at your mercy. But you know what?” He pauses, and that creepy smile of his is spreading across his face. I swallow hard. “The tide has turned! You see, I am not Brian. I am not as pathetic as to need your love, but you are in desperate need of my money! You are no longer the one in charge, deciding what to do, I am!  I am the person with all the power now, and I swear to God, you will do as I say or you can sleep on a fucking park bench for all I care! So what will it be, Ma? The park has some really comfortable looking benches, and who knows, maybe you’ll get lucky and won’t be arrested for being a hobo!” As I look at him, he smiles wider at the fear I know is on my face. “I am suddenly a bit hungry, Mother, so you’d better go and get something to eat. Now!”



Brunch menu:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrIRlTSleBamjUAmZx3Bwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZTUzM3A3BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjUxNzNfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1524696659/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2frealfood.tesco.com%2frecipes%2falmond-berry-and-banana-breakfast-tacos.html/RK=2/RS=6l_4DZ_4JG0pwQto4gruRYw9Cls-

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.