- Text Size +

CHAPTER 48 - ….BEGINS TO BITE SOME PEOPLE’S ASSES!


JUSTIN’S TOWNHOUSE - EARLY EVENING


STUDIO


JUSTIN


“It’s beautiful, they are going to love it.” He wraps his arms around me and kisses the top of my ear.



“I hope so.” I squeeze his bicep. “I think it looks better than the card. More brooding, more…”


“Personal. This is your take on it. Like I said, beautiful. Is it dry?


“Almost. I just need to get it framed, and then…”


“Can I pick that?” I turn around in his arms and nip his chin. “Is that a yes?”


“Yes, it’s a yes, and I love you for asking to share this with me.” He wrinkles his nose. “What colour were you thinking of?” He pulls out his phone and scrolls through. I look at it and then at the picture. “Perfect. Absolutely perfect.”



“You are just focusing on the painting, the frame doesn’t interfere.” He nods. “Do you know that’s why some of the greatest paintings are never framed? It's so your eye is just drawn to the picture and nothing else.” Again he nods, then tosses his phone on the couch before we are locked in a smouldering embrace. Tongues dance, hands knead, and groans disappear down throats. He pulls me, still kissing, towards the daybed, and we tumble onto it, our mouths never leaving each other’s, until we have to breathe. We hold each other for a few minutes, just drinking each other in. “I have almost finished it as well.”


“What...oh the picture of me?”


“Yes.”


“I would like to hang it in my office at Kinnetic.”


“Um, the whole point of me drawing a picture of you is that I hang it in my office in this house.” I jibe at him.


“True, but you have accurately described me as an arrogant nutter. And knowing your talent and having seen it, I know it is going to be excellent. Ergo, I want to show it off, highlighting both how gorgeous I am, and the talented artist who drew it. Win-win for both of us.”


“But…” I begin to protest as he twirls his fingers in my sideburns.


“But? Like the shit brown debacle, you know I am right.” He rests on his elbow and flutters his eyes at me.


“You are not totally right!” I huff. “And as soon as I have worked out my argument fully, I shall explain it to you.”


“I can think of a better way to expend your energy than on a thought that will only lead to you agreeing with my perfect reasoning.” He starts to undo my jeans.


“Just the one way?” I start on his shirt.


“No, of course not! The way is at least twice!”


“Each.”


“But of course. And, speaking of butts, wanna toss on who goes first?”


“A coin or each other?”


“Let me answer that question thusly…” He murmurs, and slides his hand into my jeans.


ROBBI’S HOUSE - EARLY FRIDAY AFTERNOON


RONALD AND NANCY’S BEDROOM


NANCY


“So, Roberta went where again?” I ask.


“I don’t know, I’m not my sister’s keeper.” He responds, checking the case once more.


“Just Lindsay’s.” I bite back at him. “You know how sick she gets when she’s preg…”


“Nancy, she has no problem going back to Pittsburgh, didn’t you notice how quickly she went to pack when I told you we were returning for the weekend? And I do mean only the weekend.”


“She’s anxious to see Gus, and…”


“She’s not. She’s not asked about him, not once, nor Jenny. Neither of you have. You are just anxious to get to Pittsburgh to find out what’s happening. I have news, people are living their lives and getting on with stuff.” He looks over his glasses at me, much like an elderly headmaster. Seems he’s been spending too much time with Roberta. “Can you hurry Lindsay along? I don’t want to hit traffic.”


“Yes, heaven forbid that happens.” I declare before making my way to Lindsay’s bedroom.


“How are you getting along?” I ask after she bids me enter.


“Almost done. I have to say, I can’t wait to get back. It’s lovely here, with the grounds and stuff, but there is nothing to do. Well, apart from trying to avoid the wrathful and now disappointed looks from Aunt Roberta. Have you managed to find out how she knows them?”


“Not yet, I am working on it. Now, Lindsay, heed this, you need to show interest in Gus and Jenny. Ask about them at least…”


“Mother, I’m no longer their Mommy or Momma. I have no rights, remember? Mel has...”


“Mel has done nothing but protect the children.” Ronald’s cold tone chills me to the bone. I hope that he has just arrived! I can’t believe I didn’t shut the door first. “In the remote event of you being able to lay some blame at her door, unlike your nothing, it is not uncaring. Not even a query as to their wellbeing. Call Mel and ask to speak to them, they have not been told you aren’t their mother. Or does only this baby matter to you now?”


“Daddy…”


“Just finish packing and go to the car so that we can get going.” He straightens up and sighs. “And if you want to know Robbi’s business, ask her!”


He must have followed me to her room. Since when has he been so light of foot and stealthy?!


BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE - SATURDAY MORNING


BALCONY


VIC


“Roberta O’Donaghue Carson, well I’ll be damned!” I exclaim as she comes up the stairs. “I’ll be fu...damned!”


“Fucking damned is perfectly acceptable, Vic!” She laughs and embraces me firmly. “First things first…” She looks at her watch. “...yes, so choose for me, this balcony is either a part of Austin, in which case we have a goodnight warming whisky, or London, in which case we have pre-lunch one on the rocks!”


“How about we say that we're between countries and do both!” I laugh.


“That will work! Lead the way!”


Ten minutes later, we are back on the balcony with a glass each of neat and on the rocks whisky. Justin has dragged Brian shopping for the best food, he wants to serve the perfect spread. Brian says he doesn't know what dybbuk possesses Justin sometimes, but he does exactly what he’s told when it does!


We sip in silence before she clears her throat. “Are you well? With the HIV, are you well? Brian told me, I hope you don’t mind.”


“Not at all. As can be expected, I have my up and down days.” I raise my glass.


“So, Mr Miller, how does it feel to be a Daddy? Is he sleeping through the night?”


“With Justin’s help, yes.” I chuckle.


“How long have they been together?”


“Not more than six months or so, it was love at first sight…”


“Six months?! Their connection is so strong, I thought it was longer. How did they meet?”


“At work. They saw each other and fell in love separately.”


“Meaning?”


“Justin saw Brian and fell in love at first sight, but Brian fell in love later, after there was many a fight between the two of them. Oh, don't get me wrong, he wanted to fuck him on sight, but the more he challenged, and then defended him against anyone who attacks him, the more he fell in love. He doesn’t and has never wanted a hero worshipping milksop like Michael.”


“What is your take on these books?” She sips and locks gazes with me. “But before you answer, did she ever have a diary?”


“Oh fuck yeah! Every damn day, the amount of...why do you ask?”


“Would you go to court and say that?” She gives me a gimlet eyed stare. “Hear me out. Yes, she has done some monumentally fucking heinous things, but, and, like hers, from memory, it is a huge butt...juvenile I know...as I read the books a thought struck me.” I wave at her to continue. “She mentions the payment but not the amount nor what it was spent on. Why not?”


“Good point. Very good point.” I brood on the answer, and can’t think of anything.


“If I may, when were you first diagnosed?”


“Over 20 years ago.”


“Hmmm.” She taps her nails on the glass before clearing her throat again. “She was very protective of you. Always. Very protective.” I nod in concession. “I mean, before she turned to a screaming virulent virago, the medicines back then were very expensive. And from what I’ve heard of her bullshit excuses, Brian could take it, the beatings I mean. She said he could take it.”


“He was a child! A child is supposed to be protected and cherished by his parents, real or surrogate, not to be used as a punching bag or to find fault and blame for the shit that your life has become!”


“But, through all of this she was right, he could take it. He made it! Look where he is now, he made it!”


“I think that you should…”


“I don’t care what you think I should or should not do! My theory is fucking thus, she didn’t take the money from his Uterus for her silence, she took it for you!”


“Me?! What the hell does it have to do with me?! You are…”


“Think, Vic! She protected the one person that couldn't afford to protect himself!”


Two sounds reverberate around the balcony: the shattering of the glass as it hits the floor, and the sound of realisation dawning!


“Do you understand what I am saying? I am not…”


“Yes, I get it. But that begs the question…”


“Where did his Uterus get the money from? Everyone living, dead or in between knew that most of Jack’s money went down his neck. So where’d she get that shitload of money to buy her silence?”


“I have an idea. Why don’t we go and check?”


“The Uterus or the Virago?”


“Neither. We need to check the public library, and then the church records. I think I have remembered something!”


PETERSON RESIDENCE - SAME TIME


BACK GARDEN


LINDSAY


“Oh, it is so good to be back!” I take a deep breath and rub my burgeoning stomach. “So good!”


“Why don’t you grab a jar and scoop up some air? That way you can take it back with you. You are only here until tomorrow, remember? Ever the dramatist!” Daddy shakes his head as he walks back inside, leaving Mother to stick her finger up at him. “If your society friends could see you now, Nancy…” He calls over his shoulder. “...flicking me the bird, how unrefined, tisk-tisk.”


Once the door is closed, we both let out a breath of relief. He’s been watching both of us, much to Mother’s annoyance, like a hawk. Never leaving us alone for long periods of time, and, quite frankly, it is getting wearisome.


“What is he up to?” She mutters crossly.


“He’s not told you what the business that he has to deal with is about?”


“Not a word. Now, have you been looking at houses and schools?” This surprises me and it must show. “I said before, we have months to bring him back where he belongs. However, the first three months of that baby’s life will also be crucial. As much as I love you, Lindsay, I am much too old and set in my ways to have a baby here. Try to find something small, maybe a four bedroom, and start looking into schooling and the like. But not a nanny...”


I start to smile. “Yes, of course! The total opposite of how he thinks I have behaved where Gus and Jenny are concerned! Speaking of whom, I shall call her later this evening and arrange to see Gus and Jenny tomorrow.”


“Really?”


“No, of course not, but that’s what I shall tell him I did. Sadly, they are on a playdate.” I rub my stomach again. “This baby is going to be brought up my way.”


“When is your next appointment?” She pours some more iced tea.


“Oh, that’s a good point…” I reach for my diary and flick through it. “...so much for being here only for the weekend. It’s in a month’s time, so I will be back here again.”


“We won’t.” She leans over and pats my stomach. “Because I have no intention of going back to Texas. The only redeeming feature is where we are staying, and that is marred by the presence of you-know-who.”


“She really got lucky with…” I frown as I try to remember my late Uncle’s name.


“Raphael.” She supplies with a smirk. “Such an insipid man, but a wealthy one. I could not understand why she worked when there was no need.”


“Me neither.” I scrunch my toes in the grass.


The door opening again forestalls her ready quip and Daddy rejoins us.


“Did you pack anything to wear for a client dinner?” He asks me as he sits down.


“No. If we had been told what was happening, I would’ve packed accordingly.” I grouse and try not to smirk at Mother’s lip twitch.


“It has only just been confirmed. Why don’t you two go into town to find something, dinner is at seven.”


“Yes, darling, let’s do that!” Mother gets up quickly and looks at her watch. “Which client is this?”


“A new one that I have been watching for a while, very hush-hush! But I believe I am close to signing them.”


“Oh, how exciting, Daddy!” I clasp my hands. “I have never seen you work and…”


“When you are back in Pittsburgh, you will get the opportunity of seeing that close at hand. I have changed my mind about two things: retiring, and you being a lowly assistant.” He waves at us to sit down. “I am going back, I miss the thrill of the chase. Hunting down this client has cemented my decision.” Mother looks so relieved, she could not abide having him underfoot all the damn time. “And you will be the personal PA to the Senior Vice President.”


“Senior…”


“Yes, the Senior Vice President’s PA.”


“But...but that’s Lynette.”


“Yes, I know, I hired her. She does an amazing job considering her other shortcomings.” He stands up and looks at his watch. “And I have been thinking. You need to be registered with a doctor in Texas before your next appointment. Here is a list of the best ones near Robbi.” He hands me a piece of paper before turning to Mother. “I will book the tickets in time for her next appointment. Here are the keys to the Mercedes, Nancy, I am sure that you want to take that so you can announce your return, however briefly.”


Mother’s hand is not the only one that is trembling!


DEB’S AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - AFTERNOON


GARDEN


MICHAEL


My life sucks! It fucking sucks! It was all going fine until his fucking balls dropped! We had him where we needed him to be! I take another pull on my beer and blink back tears.


“Still crying over that long ago spilt milk?” Ma’s shadow looms over me and her booming voice hurts my ears.


“You don’t understand what it is to have loved and lost someone like Brian…”


“I lost him too!” She plonks down in the chair next to me. “And it looks like we’re never getting him back.” She rubs her eyes. “Have you got your attorney meeting this week?”


“No, next week. What are you frowning for?”


“I could’ve sworn we had that booked for…”


“It was, but I moved it to next week, I have a convention in Cleveland to go to. Can you believe it has come to this? I have to go to another fucking state!”


“Another state? Michael, you do realise that we could go to jail for this? And speaking of jail, what the fuck did you say to David to get him to fly to your rescue?!”


I smirk a little. “I pushed his Brian button. He’s always resented our relationship, and…”


“Yes, I gathered that. I asked what you said, not what you did.”


I scowl at her. “I told him that Brian had cheated on me and threw me out, bought the house from under you, and evicted us.”


“Okay, but why lie to the attorney, this I don’t get. Why no mention of Jenny? And how did he know about the money you have?”


“I panicked. I didn't think he would come that quickly or that everything would move so fast. I had to tell the attorney something, so I told him that he had concocted the books to further punish us.” She nods, and for once looks proud of me.


“And the rest of the answers…”


“I bet it was Mel. She came out with them and looked smug! She must have told them! That bitchy dyke!” I drain my beer and throw the bottle towards the trash can, and, like the previous three, it misses. “Speaking of dykes, have you seen or heard from Lindsay?”


“No, I have more important things to think about than her. Why do you ask?”


“Well I was thinking…” I lean forward in my chair and look at her. “...she can help us get back on The Avenue.” She sighs and I see the twitch of her hand. “Hear me out before you knock the idea out of my head! We both want to be back where we belong, this is not us really, so what if we persuade Lindsay to rent a place in her name and we live there?”


She is just staring at me and then slowly starts to smile. “I knew there was a bit of brains about you, I knew it!” She gets up and kisses my cheek and strokes down my hair before brushing off the lipstick print and heading inside. “While I think of it, let me call her!”


I am not quite sure how to take the bit of brains comment, but my plan to return to The Avenue is coming to fruition!


DEBS’S BEDROOM


DEBS


I check the garden and he is still sitting out there. I’m waiting for Lindsay to pick up, and while I do I file my nails.


“What do you want, Debbie? I’d have thought that our business was concluded.”


“Not quite. Did your parents enjoy reading the exploits of Lindsay Law Unto Herself Peterson?”


“They weren’t exactly pleased, no, but I have to congratulate you on your ingenuity. Rather inspired. Seems being in my company rubbed off on you. Was that all?”


“No. We want to move back to The Avenue, and you are going to help us do that.”


“Oh this should be interesting. What plan have you connived to get me to do your bidding?”


“Blackmail works both ways. You do this, and I won’t tell everyone that you blackmailed me. I may have paid you, but it’s still against the law…”


“Does Michael know about your retirement fund? Or how you got him to pay me to get the book back.”


“Yes he does, so you can’t threaten me with that. He was angry for a while but understood…”


“Honesty amongst thieves, what a novel concept. So what is it you want me to do, and this is the last thing!”


I heave a sigh of relief! I didn’t think I would get away with that!


“Rent a place in The Avenue in your name. We’ll live there and pay you the rent.”


“Fine. When do you need this rented by?”


Well that was easy!


“Not for another six weeks.” I watch Michael reach for another beer and my heart sinks. That one good idea has worn him out, I suppose! “A nice three bedroom. Where have you been anyway?”


“Like I said, I moved away to start a new life. I will let you know where you are next going to be living.”


“It’s been a pleasure doing business with you. Speak soon, Lindsay.” I laugh as she just hangs up.


MARCUS RESIDENCE - EARLY EVENING


LOUNGE


MEL


I close the door firmly, take the proffered brandy, and glare at a laughing Ben, Uncle Vic, Roberta and Gaggle, they are most amused!


“Thought they were too quiet. Could see why he would.” I fan my heated cheeks then raise my glass to the ceiling as Brian makes it clear what they are doing. “Brian, I mean…” I start to giggle. “...I can see why he would with Justin, he’s gifted!”


“Knocking next time is also the order of the day I take it?” Roberta chuckles.


“Oh yes, definitely!”


“Do you have any idea what he has planned?” Ben asks, but before he can speak his phone beeps and he looks pleased and bashful. Since when does Ben look pleased and bashful?!


“Who’s put that look on your face?” Uncle Vic demands, having caught it too.


“It’s just Granger, he got some suggestions for the edit of the second chapter.” He shrugs. “I told you about his offer of help.”


“Uh huh, and he wants to discuss this with you over dinner?” Roberta gives him a knowing look.


“How’d…”


“Headmistress, remember? So, Claire and Arthur are bringing the children over tomorrow, correct?” I raise my glass. “Good, this means we can quickly discuss our theory now?”


“Theory? What theory?” Ceci sounds surprised.


“The money that the Uterus gave the Virago. She didn’t mention in her diary how much or what it was spent on? We think that she took it for Vic’s medication.”


We are all astonished as we never thought that she would’ve used for something good, although it was Brian who paid the price of that good deed!


“How much were the medicines back then?” Mami queries.


“In the thousands. We went to the library and her old church to read the papers and notices from around that time, and we found something.” Uncle Vic looks gleeful and Roberta hands me a piece of paper. “This is from the Church Archives.”


“Don’t keep us hanging, what does it say?” Gladys demands.


“Joan Kinney was replaced as Treasurer. Although no impropriety was proven, the church council thought it was best, in light of what took place, if she stepped down; after the…” I gasp and stare at the pair of them.


“After?! What is the after?!” Ben is almost growling.


“Accounts were found to be grossly inaccurate and the money could not be recovered.”


Nobody says a word.


“And it wasn’t blackmail on the Viper’s side, because I remember hearing about this.” Uncle Vic explains. “She lost a lot of face and the rumours dogged her for a while. But I think she did take the money from the church. However, she couldn’t be seen to be involved in another scandal…”


“Maybe she was going to leave him or just have a nest egg for herself?” Roberta looks around at us and we start to nod.


“And it was soon after that that her attitude towards Brian changed. She was uncaring before then, but then came the coldness.” Uncle Vic sighs.


“So she blamed him for her plan failing?!” Roberta fumes. “Well, that’s another house call I have to make!”


We have to make.” Gladys corrects her. “It’s about time we met this paragon of virtue!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constrictively