- Text Size +

CHAPTER 51 - A REAL FAMILY AFFAIR AND THE BOOK OF REVELATIONS IS OPENED...THE FINAL BITE


RONALD


I don’t think I have ever seen Libette so happy! Gus is staring at her with a smile on his face. “What are you looking at, Gus?”


“Aunt Libette smiles like Momma, but nicer. I hope she enjoys her trip as much as we will enjoy the cakes...oh, do you want to do that?”


“Cakes?” “Trip?” Lynette and I ask at the same time.


“Yes. His Momma sent you to see him while she is away.” Mel explains, raising one eyebrow and I nod in understanding.


“So do you? I promise that you can lick the spoon. Well, as long as we don’t drop it and Tyson isn’t in the kitchen.”


“Yes! We would love to!” Lynette’s eyes dance with happiness.


“Good. Can you put me down please so I can hug Grandpa Ronald and you can hold Jenny?”


“Of course!” She hands him to me, and Mel passes her Jenny, who stares and then smiles at her.


“Did you drive?” Jennifer asks.


“Yes. Why?” I frown, and then have to smile as Gus presses my forehead to get rid of it.


“We’re going to be here until at least six, so you could send him back, it’s a waste of his time to just sit here.”


“Oh, that’s a good idea.” I turn to Lynette, but she’s too in awe of Jenny. “Gus, do you want to come with me to speak to my driver about something?”


“And then we do cakes?” His innocently hopeful look reminds me of Lindsay before she was turned, and there is a brief flicker of sadness.


“I think we should have something to eat first, then you can do cakes.” Justin tells him and Gus nods.


“We won't be long.” I carry him down the stairs and head to the car, I frown when I see the annoyed expression on Frederick’s face. Sighing, I put Gus down and get down to his level. “Gus, can you walk back to the house and get your Aunt Roberta for me, please?”


“Yes, Grandpa, you won't go to the car without me, will you?”


“No, I promise.”


He trots back the house, and soon is back with Robbi.


“What’s wrong?” She says in as light a tone as she can, and then nods when I point at still pensive looking Frederick. “Leave it with me. Gus, I just need to speak to the man in the car for a second. Why don’t you take out your football or swing set so you can play later? Grandpa will help, won’t you?”


“Oh yes, come on, Grandpa!”


ROBBI


I tap the window. He winds it down and wordlessly hands me his phone with a small smile of relief. I put it on mute for a second. “Who is it?”


“Mrs Peterson. She’s called to say that their car has broken down and I am to come and collect them as they were joining them later.” I nod and then smile. “Tell them you will pick them up.” His mouth drops open. “If I say it they won’t believe me.”


He reaches for his phone and clears his throat. “Mrs Peterson, apologies but you cut out for a moment. I completely understand your distress... ” He pauses to contain his laughter as he twigs what I am thinking. “...why don’t I come and collect you and Ms Peterson; then arrange for someone to look at your car? Perfect. Now can you tell me exactly where you are?”


I wait for him to hang up. “Don’t worry, I will text you in a second. Just play along with them or, even better, do feel free to embellish okay?”


“Yes Mrs...I mean Roberta.” He corrects himself swiftly, and I chuckle, but then quickly head back to the house when I see the children are playing with Tyson. “Everyone, I am sending Frederick to collect the devil pair. They were calling him to find out where we were and made some bullshit up about their car breaking down and them coming here later…”


“What have you done that for?!” Cynthia demands.


“Calm yourself, Miss Moore, and tell me the exact address we were at this morning, so that I can text Frederick.” Slow smiles begin to spread across faces and Cynthia reaches for her phone. “Mami, you said that Rene is watching them at the moment, correct?”


“Yea, he...seriously, you are wicked!” Mami guffaws.


“What?” I say innocently. “If he so happens to have their car towed away as a concerned citizen that is not my fault…”


“This is why I never crossed her in school.” Brian laughs. “She could think out punishments from hell!”


“Oh wait! The presents!” Lynette exclaims. “They are for Gus and Jenny, and if they have shopped, then…”


“I’ll get them!” Mel tells her firmly, waving her back into her seat.


“There’s a lot of them.” She looks embarrassed. “Birthdays and Christmases.”


“Ah, in that case, Claire and Cyn can you help?”


Ten minutes later we are staring at a mini mountain of presents. “Lynette, this is too much for them in one go.” Mel explains gently, and she nods in understanding.


“Let’s put them in the spare room for now and then sort them afterwards, I think…” Justin laughs as he looks across at the children. “...that Tyson is getting tired!”


“Can I at least give them one?” She pleads.


“Of course!” Mel exclaims. “Which one?”


“This one for Gus and this one for Jenny.” She grabs them and the rest of the presents are quickly moved. “Oh wait, what about Peter and John?! We can’t not give them something.”


“Gus wouldn't like it either.” Mel sighs and there are nods of agreement. “Right, put them all away. And then when you both come to ours you can give them to them then, how about that?”


“To yours?” She echoes as fresh tears spring to her eyes and Ron’s face almost splits in half he is smiling so much!


“Yes.” Mel hands her a napkin. “But first there are cakes to make, brunch to have...and a dog to rescue!”


“Come on, you lot!” Carl booms out. “Come on, let Tyson have a break!”


CAR TO DEB’S AND MICHAEL’S - HALF AN HOUR LATER


NANCY


I double check the privacy screen is up and the intercom is off. “It worked! Just like I knew it would!”


“At least today won’t be a total bust. I was so disappointed to see so little choice of apparel. Hell, even Texas was better!”


“Yes, we must shop on Wednesday, you’ve got to sort out the doctors remember?” She nods and still looks disappointed. “Lindsay, you must pull yourself out of this funk and concentrate on re-establishing your position in the children's lives.”


“I am and I will have my game face on when I get there.”


“What’s bothering you, darling? It can’t just be the shopping.”


“The baby. I really have no idea who the father is. I had a very good time there with different…”


“Nationalities?” I suggest tactfully.


“Well, yes. Suppose the baby isn’t…”


“You aren’t going to keep the child, so the father’s heritage is of no consequence.”


“I know, but it’s also what she said about getting myself tested…”


“You mean you haven’t? Why not? It was the first thing I did when I strayed?


“Strayed?” She looks astonished.


“Yes, I wasn’t always the doting wife. But when I did, I got myself checked immediately and dis…”


“Mother, may I ask a very personal question?”


“Yes, he is her father and yours. He just turned her into a drudge like you said!”


“Thank goodness you got to me first!” She giggles before looking out of the window. “I can’t wait to see the house.”


“Who’s house? Do you think we are going to Brian’s place?”


“Stands to reason, and it has got to be ten times better than hers. He has so much money and such high taste!”


I lean over and press the intercom. “How long until we get there, Frederick?”


“Another 20 minutes, Mrs Peterson.” His voice crackles.


“Good, let us know when we are five minutes away.”


“Yes, Mrs Peterson.”


I click off the intercom. “Let’s hope he has a better standard of help!”


“Do you think that Rene was the real thing though?”


“I have to admit, I am not sure. He wasn’t around for our humiliation, so maybe Mel and Ronald used him as a pawn?”


“That's true. We can always check him out, and if he is the real deal then I will make friends!”


BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE


KITCHEN


RONALD


I am covered in flour, but not as much flour as Gus and the boys, and looking worried is the cause of our flouriness...dear, sweet Jenny. She wanted to help, Gus warned us that she wasn’t good with flour, and here we are.


“Tolds you, Grandpa Ronald! Gus tries to dust off his jumper. “And look, she’s super clean!”


“Yes, I had noticed.” I chuckle as Mel comes in, closes her eyes, and walks out again.


“Is Aunt Mel mad?” Peter whispers.


“No, I’m not.” She laughs. “I was just asking Brian if we could fill the pool so you guys can rinse off before we eat brunch.”  


“Aww, Mommy, no cakes then?!” Gus exclaims.


“Gus, this isn’t cake, this is bread remember? And once you finish mixing, it has to sit for a bit in a nice warm place to rise.”


“Then we cuts it up and put them in those box thingies?” He nods at the loaf tins.


“Yes. But when Grandpa Ronald and Aunt Libette come to ours, you can make the apple cakes, okay?”


“Okay, Mommy!” He plunges his hands in the bowl. “Now let’s try this again, Jenny. Pour, don’t throwed it!”


“Kay, Gus!” Jenny grins, and once again we are covered in flour!


“Jenny! You little imp!” Mel laughs. “Ben, your Imp is being a mischief!” She hollers.


“Coming!” Ben calls back.


OUTSIDE DEBS AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - 20 MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


“I have to say, it is not as elegant or as big as I thought it would be.”


“I was thinking the same thing?!” Mother murmurs as she gets out of the car. “It’s still nice. Small but nice.”


“I understand…” Frederick interrupts as he closes the door. “...that this is the residence of the Nanny that has been hired…”


“I knew it! I knew he would have staff to look after Gus and Jenny! So where is the actual residence of Mr Kinney?” I demand.


“I don’t know, I’m afraid. I brought Mr Peterson and Mrs Grant Peterson here.”


“No matter, you may leave us. We will call when we are ready to be collected.”


“Of course, Mrs Peterson.”


We wait for him to drive off, and then march with matching smug grins to the house. I rap on the door and then frown when I hear an all too familiar voice before the door is opened. I am greeted by the tear streaked face of Michael.


“What are you doing here?” He hiccups. “And why are you so fat?!”


BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE - 10 MINUTES LATER


BALCONY


EMMETT


“Right, everyone is now assembled?!” I glare at an unrepentant and thoroughly kissed looking Brian, and an embarrassed looking Justin. They snuck away for a few minutes and got well and truly caught by Craig who delighted in telling us, away from young ears, where Brian’s hands were...again! “So, for brunch, we have Fabulicious Egg in a Hole Bagels with Spicy Bacon and Guacamole.”


As per usual, there are murmurs of approval, not only because it is my food but, because this is a favourite at Kinnetic and with a particular blonde nymph, who has been known to sulk if it is not there on a Friday for the team meeting!


Brian puts the plate in front of Gus. “So, Sonny Boy, who do you want to help you with yours?”


“I call Grandpa!” Gus chirrups and beams.


“Right, which one?” Brian smiles.


“Oh yes! I have three now. Hmm. well since I’ve not been helped by Grandpa Ronald. Grandpa Ronald! And Jenny can eat with Aunt Libette, can’t she?”


“Yes she can.” Mel calls out.


DEBS AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE


LOUNGE


NANCY


I take in the garish knickknacks that jolt horribly with the tasteful furnishings and shudder.


“So is it Brian’s?” Michael sniffs.


“Yes.” Lindsay replies and their faces fall.


“When did this happen?” He demands.


“I am almost five months.” She cradles her stomach. “We kept quiet because of the first trimester, didn't want anything to happen.”


“What does Mel think of this?” His Mother rests her chin on her hand and stares hard at Lindsay. “Hmmm, oh no girlie, that kid is not Brian’s. You would not be here if it was. You’d be basking in his attention, because that is what he would do. He'd look after his kid, even if it meant having you in his life for however long.”


“Why would you say such a fucking thing, you bitch?!” He yells, his face mottled with anger and relief.


“Because I remember how well you reacted the last time I was pregnant! I decided to give you a reminder of the pain you felt…” She looks at him scathingly. “...you know, for all the pain you’ve caused Brian!”


“Ma had a book too, so don’t let her fool you! She wasn’t fucking innocent!”


His Mother doesn't say anything, it’s as if she’s waiting.


“Well, that explains the idea! I mean, you couldn't have come up with it yourself!”


“Where is your book?” I demand of her.


“Brian has them.” She replies coolly.


“I see. Why did you move from the other place? Thought you liked it there, Debs.” Lindsay asks, then looks at the suitcase. “Are you going away?” He bursts into fresh tears and runs out of the room. “What’s wrong with...”


“Brian sent all of the things that he ever gave him back. Cynthia delivered them completely destroyed.” She stands up and closes the lounge door. “So now that it’s just us girls here, what are you doing here?”


“Meaning?” I return.


“You know, you have the book, are you proud of her by the way?” She sneers.


“As proud of her as you are of yourself and your son.” I bite back, and relish the fall in her jowly countenance.


“I had to come here because you changed your number without giving me the new one! How am I supposed to find you a…” She pauses and then grimaces. “...oh wait till I get hold of her! That cow!”


“Lindsay?” I frown.


“Lynette! Lynette must have told Frederick to drop us off here! And now he’s gone, and…”


“What are you talking about?!” His mother gripes.


“Nothing. Well nothing that concerns you. Back to the housing issue, it is going to be impossible for me to get you a place near Liberty Avenue…”


“I understand.” She sighs. “We’re going to stick here until the...until we’re ready to move again.”


“Well then, that is our business finally concluded. There is no need for our paths to ever cross again after this day, is there?” Lindsay gets up and dusts the back of her dress.


“No. Do me a favour with that kid.” She points at Lindsay’s stomach. “Treat him or her better than we did ours. You know the way out.”


“Mother, can you call Frederick? I just need to speak to her in private.” I nod and leave.


LINDSAY


“So what has happened now?”


“What do you mean? Look, Lindsay, today has been rough and I am tired. So just go away.”


“Debs, what has happened? I don’t want anything to come back to me! I need this pregnancy to be as stress free as possible!”


“He’s given us restraining orders. They all have. I have nothing. Nothing.”


“Oh fuck, I didn’t ever think he would…” I sit down and digest this and then a plan starts to form. “Give me your new number, let me see what I can do.”


“You? Why would you want to help? Our business is finally concluded isn’t it? You just said that.”


“Debs.” I hand her my phone and she calls herself. “Thank you. I can’t promise anything, but I promise to try.”


“Thanks, I don’t hold out much hope, you know what Brian’s like when he sets his mind to something. I changed my number to try to speak to him, but he blocked that too.”


“Yeah, I tried the same.” I sigh...but inwardly fume, as I hadn't thought of that. “I will be in touch.” I bend down and kiss her cheek before I walk out, closing the door quietly behind me.


I am surprised to find Michael at the bottom of the stairs. “I hate you, you know, I really hate you.”


“Until such time as men are able to carry, then I will always have one thing up on you. Well, two if you count what you call your dick...I’ll bet my clit is bigger!” I taunt him. “And I am glad you hate me, as being liked by you would be a source of shame!”


“Get out, you fucking whore!” He yells, getting to his feet and briefly I worry about his intentions, but then remember that this is Michael, so throw my head back and laugh.


“Better to be a whore getting pleasure than a snot nosed fucking coward causing cruelty!”


“Michael, get away from her!” Debs bellows, and he stumbles up a couple of steps in surprise.


“I wasn’t going to do anything!” He snaps.


“Lindsay, go on. I’ll keep an eye on him.”


I bang the door shut as she starts to shout at him.


“What’s the matter?” Mother demands looking at the house nervously.


“He was just his usual shouty self. I’m fine. How long till Frederick gets here?”


“About forty minutes.” She sighs. “Can we get away from here? It’s such a cold place!”


“Yes, let’s find a cafe and he can pick us up from there. Oh, grab that cab!”


BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE - 20 MINUTES LATER


VIC


There is nothing so soothing and comforting as the smell of fresh bread. The kids have done a fantastic job and are now running off their bagels.


“At the risk of putting a dampener on this…” Brian sighs before he turns to Cynthia. “...can you just go and do it now and then come back? We’ve got time before dinner haven’t we, Ems?”


“Absolutely.” He replies, stroking his arm. “I was going to suggest that.”


“Okay, ladies, let’s go.” I say briskly, and everyone looks at me in surprise. “I haven’t had any fun yet, and this is going to be fun!”


SACRED HEART PARISH CHURCH - AN HOUR LATER


“Anybody seeing the irony of her attending this church?” I mutter as we sit down near the front pews.


“To say the least.” Cyn rolls her eyes. “Why are we doing this here though?”


“You’ll see.” Mami replies darkly.


“We are just waiting for the last of our most newest member to arrive...” The Father calls out from the lectern. “...then we will begin the Absolution Ceremony. Ah, and here she is.”


Everyone turns to the see who it is, and we all gape as Joan Kinney walks down the aisle and takes a seat in front of the congregation, but to the left of the Father with a smug look on her face.


Robbi and I look incredulous. “Like Gladys said, a much better way to do this, I believe it is time to open the Book of Revelations.” Mami mutters and looks across at Ceci who nods.


“Father!” Ceci stands and he looks surprised but does smile. “I am new to this parish…”


“Welcome, my dear, welcome. I am Father Shaw, and…”


“What is an Absolution Ceremony, and why is she having one?” She points at Joan.


“Because Mrs Kinney has transferred from her previous diocese. She is a devout Catholic with a kind, gentle, and loving heart. She has never caused harm, lives by God’s Holy Scriptures, doesn’t…”


“How do you know that?”


“She has a letter of recommendation from her previous diocese, they were sad to see her go but we are closer.”


“Closer to what? Her home? The liquor store? Hell? Which one is it, Mrs Kinney? Or should I say, Second Commander in Chief Abuser?! Joan gulps as Claire strides down the aisle. “Or to give her the biological title...Mother.”


CLAIRE


“What is going on here?” Father Shaw demands.


“Before I come to that, can you tell me what your views are on homosexuality, child abuse, wilful neglect and embezzlement?”


“On…”


“Please answer immediately, Father. You see, this will have an impact on whether or not she stays of her own choice or yours.”


He coughs and takes a sip of water. “Obviously, with child abuse, wilful neglect and embezzlement these are abhorrent and immoral respectively, so the person who committed such acts would have no place in our flock.”


“And the homosexuality?” Claire presses. “I am thinking of joining this church and…”


“No!” Joan shouts out. “I refuse to allow this!”


“Mrs Kinney, you do not decide who attends. I do!” Father Shaw snaps, then gives a small smile and leans over the lectern. “It is no concern of mine or this church what people do in the confines of their relationships, long term or otherwise.” He smirks knowingly. “As long there is informed consent before, and acceptance of any decision after, from both sides, then nobody should judge them but them.”


“But that is against God’s Holy Scriptures!” Joan exclaims.


“So is child abuse, neglect, embezzlement, and forgery! You have no problem with them as long as it is you carrying them out, but you do have a problem with your son and grandson being gay!”


“Can you tell me what this is about? Um, I didn’t catch you name.”


“Claire Fitzgerald. I was her daughter. My family and I no longer associate with her, nor does the Father of her former church, so that letter of recommendation from him has to be a lie. Like you, he holds the same views on child abuse and homophobia. He wasn't aware of the embezzlement.”


Joan goes pale and clutches her cross. “Father, you don’t surely take the word of a complete stranger over me who…”


“She called you Mother.” Father Shaw interrupts her and nods at Claire. “Please continue.”


“She, for reasons of her own, refused to stop blaming her son for being born and allowed her late husband, and our former father, to beat him daily. She turned a blind drunk eye and deaf ear while her husband broke bones. She...” I stutter to a halt and swallow hard.


“Can you proceed, my child?” Father Shaw asks gently and I find that I can’t.


“See she is shown, whoever she is, to be a liar! God has stolen the deceitful words from her…”


ROBBI


“Joan Kinney was removed from her parish in the 1970s for gross inaccuracies in the accounts. They were so bad, in fact, that she was barred from ever taking up a treasurer position in Pennsylvania again. That was the deal that was made, wasn’t it, Joan? You don’t apply again, and they keep quiet. Isn’t that true, Vic? Father Shaw, my name is Roberta O’Donaghue Carson, I taught her son, Brian Kinney at…”


“Oh my God!” Joan cries out as she looks from me to Vic and back again. “I…”


“Mrs Kinney, is anything they have said not true?” Father Shaw and the congregation are looking at her with anticipation.


“He is an abomination, a mistake, and a flaw on what God…”


“Mrs Kinney, God does not make mistakes. Every man, woman, child, every living thing is created in his and Mother Nature’s image. They never make mistakes, but what is clear from what they have said, your own words and lack of denial is that the Devil made you! Leave this Church and find another God to have mercy in your soul!”


She gets to her feet before stiffening her spine and staring hatefully at Claire. Cyn moves to stands in front of the step. “What do you want? I suppose he sent you to ruin this for me?!”


“You ruined it yourself!” Cyn bites back, and throws the envelope at her. “His final fuck you and farewell before the trial…” Again there is a gasp. “...a restraining order, you can’t come near Brian, Justin, Claire, Arthur or the kids, you can't contact them in any way.”


“I wouldn't! They no longer exist!!” She snipes and walks past Cyn, leaving the envelope on the floor.


“One has been delivered to your house.” Cyn smirks as she stops and turns around. “You are wondering why here?” She nods. “I don’t know, you would need to ask The Gaggle.”


“The…”


“Good evening, Father Shaw.” Mami calls out, standing up from her previously hunkered down position.


Father Shaw briefly closes his eyes, but he smiles when he opens them. “I see. Well, in that case, Mrs Kinney, please retake your seat. Mrs Auberjohn, may we continue with the rest of Mass?”


“You may, Father.” She chirrups and jerks her thumb to the doors. The rest of The Gaggle, Cyn, Vic, Claire and I follow her out. “I will explain when we get back.”


FATHER SHAW


“Please, can you check that they have all gone?” I call out to the Warder and wait for his return. I watched Joan Kinney kick the envelope away from her as she sat down with a supercilious look on her face.


“They have all departed, Father!” The Warder calls out, and I beckon him forward. “Your letter of recommendation, Mrs Kinney, may I have it?” She hands it to me with a beatific, she thinks, smile on her face and settles back in her chair. Confusion radiates from the congregation as I hand it to the Warder, then pick up the envelope. “Take a copy quickly please, and leave it in my office.” He is back in less than two minutes. “It is safe for you to leave now.” I tell her coldly as I hand both the letter and the envelope to her.


“Pardon? But Father, I thought…”


“Wrongly. I could not, in all good conscience, let you walk out there. while there was a chance they were still outside.” She remains where she is looking astonished. “We need to restart Mass and…


“My Absolution, you must…”


“Get that from elsewhere. In case you were wondering, I took a copy so that I could send it to the Bishop. I am sure he will have a view on this forgery.”


“The Bishop?” She gasps and again clutches her cross. “But that would mean excommunication!”


“And your late husband beating your son every day could’ve meant death!”






Egg in a hole bagel

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/egg-in-a-hole-with-spicy-bacon-and-guacamole.html

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks