- Text Size +

CHAPTER 55 - THE DQ, THE JOAN MIASMA AND THE NEWBIE IDIOT


KINNETIC - THURSDAY MORNING


CONFERENCE ROOM 2


BRIAN


So this is what a vampire-kiss feels like?! He’s been in Richmond as emergency cover, as...oh whatsername got sick - we were still mad at each other over stiffgate, and he was even more pissed when he had to miss his appointment. I tug on my hands, which he has pinned either side of my head. He releases them so he can bury his in my hair and I can grab that ass. I tilt up my hips...he gets the message and starts to grind.


“NO! Not that room!” I hear Shelley yell and he chuckles as the door is swiftly shut with a gasp of mortification.


“Oh!” He whimpers into my neck as I knead. “Need the thigh!” He gasps, I slide one between his legs and he smashes his mouth down on mine then snaps his pelvis in tandem with the sweeping stabs of his tongue. “Mmm!”


I scramble for his buckle and swiftly slide my hands into the back of his jeans and almost cum at the feel of his velvety skin. He tears his mouth away and starts to gasp and pant. “Ohgodmissedthis!” He almost wails and then arches back. I feel him pulse and throb against my thigh while writhing like a very sexy snake!


“Christonabike!” I growl as quietly as I can while cumming seconds later. He starts to giggle as he leans back down to kiss me. “You okay?”


“If you are asking if I am mad, not so much…”


“Justin…” I warn and start to remove my hands.


“Not mad, not mad! Put them back!” He wriggles towards my retreating hands.


“Good.”


“But it is still partially your fault I overslept.” He looks a little coy. “Not done that position before…” He frowns as I start to push him gently up. “...what?”


“Shower.” I smile and he snorts a quiet doh before getting up and leading us to the ensuite.


“I forget sometimes.” I begin as we slowly strip each other off before I test the water.


“What?” He yawns and rubs his eyes. “What do you forget, old man.” He teases.


“That. I am 12 years old than you, but because of you surety and maturity, we’re the same age. Does that make sense?”


“Yes, but what brought on that round of philosophy?” He reaches for the sponge and signals I should turn around but I don’t. “Are you going somewhere with this?”


“Nowhere bad. Just it throws me sometimes that you are twenty th…” I trail off as I realise. “...Jesus this is creepy in a good way…”


“There is a good way to be creepy?” He looks dubious and moves the sponge further out of reach.


“Yep. Your birthday is lucky for me.”


“Why?” He is still holding the sponge hostage.


“Because it’s the same day I got the cancer all clear.”


“You’re right, that is good! We must do something awesome! So how’d you celebrate before?”


“Got blind drunk.” I reply and suppress my moan of bliss as he starts to soap my skin.


“Well you aren’t doing that this year!”


“Nope. I am going to be trying a new thing on you that is going to make you faint!”


“Faint? And I have to wait four days?!” He tugs on my arm, and, laughing, I turn to face him. “Four, Brian?! You can’t be serious about making me wait to faint for four days?!”


“Yep, and with any pouting, it will be early evening the next weekend...”


“The next...not pouting, definitely not pouting!”


ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - LATE MORNING


ATTORNEY’S FLOOR, MEETING ROOM 6


PHYLLIS DRAGER, DEBS’S ATTORNEY


DEBS


She rubs her temple and looks at me with something like piteous contempt. “So you are saying that your son is faking Munchausen by Proxy to get a lighter...what exactly?”


“I don’t know, but if he can get away with shit then he will!”


“And where did he learn that from?” She snarks.


“Hey, I am no angel but I own my shit!”


“Only when forced to!” She retorts. “I understand that you pleaded with Mr Kinney not to go ahead with this, on the basis that it has been so long and how would it look to others…”


“Well, I have an…”


“Image to project? Surely behaving like the image that you sought to project instead of being a false idol would’ve been a more compassionate and motherly thing to do?”


“So back to this proxy bullshit…”


“Yes, let’s make this about your actual son, or should I say accomplice? Actually accomplices. I am aware of what Mr Grassi is doing, as soon as he was admitted attorneys were called...”


“So his attorney doesn’t believe it either?”


“I never said that, I said they were called. Now, with regards to Mrs Kinney, I can’t tell you very much about what happened apart from they are pressing charges. And she may try and implicate you in this because you took the money…”


“What money?”


“The money she said you took from her in exchange for your silence.”


“I told you what I did with that.”


“Yes, but how did it come about?”


I slump back and tamp down my annoyance. “I thought you said this was recorded?”


“It is, we just like to compare recordings.”


“Right for the second time…”


Start of flashback

KINNEY RESIDENCE - 20 YEARS AGO


LOUNGE


“My apologies, Miss Grassi, my husband has been a little unwell and is on his way to the doctors.”


“Uh huh. What is he getting treated for, his boozing or his beating?”


“I am not sure I follow, Debbie, may I call you Debbie?”


“No you may not! I don't know about you, but if he is abusive to you too, then there are places that I can take…”


“Miss Grassi, what exactly are you alluding to?”


“You may be blind, but I am not. Get him to stop or I will call child services.”


“Child services? And stop what exactly?” She takes a sip of her water.


“The beatings and kickings you allow him to give Brian. Have some more water...” I nod at the mug. “...you should swap to vodka...doesn’t smell as strong as gin.”


She stops reaching for the mug and all pretence is gone. “What happens in our house is none of your concern.”


“It becomes my concern when the results turn up at my house! Now it is really simple: stand up and be a fierce mother and protector of that sweet boy or I go to child services!”


“He gets into fights with other people, then lies about them, which is why he has…”


“For such a pious woman, your lies drip surprisingly easily from your tongue! I take it that your fellow people of god don’t know what you did either, Madam Treasurer!”


“What do you mean by that?!”


I gesture around the room. “This! This is what I mean, do they know...”


“I see where you are going with this. Fair enough, it is retribution.” She reaches for her check book and starts to write. “Will this cover it all?” She hands me a check.


I gape at it. “What the hell is this for?!” I look again at the check for $15000.


“Use it for what you see fit. Bed and board maybe?”


“Are you seriously suggesting that I take this and Brian?!”


“I know what I have done is wrong, and you coming here is my punishment for it, but I beg you to not say anything!”


“This is not enough! I will be back a week on Friday…” I flick the check, she flinches at the sound. “....things had better be ready by then. He has to be unharmed and this had better clear or I start to confess your sins!”


She slumps in the chair before draining her cup. “I will ensure it.”


NOVOTNY RESIDENCE - TWO HOURS LATER


BATHROOM


“He’s fine, Michael! Just ate something that didn’t agree with him!” I shout through the closed door, as once more Vic pukes up.


“Brian’s here! He's got a busted lip!”


“I’ll be right there!” I start to get up but then Vic grabs my arm. “What?”


“You can’t touch him! You're not safe!”


“What do you mean, not safe?!”


“You’ve been with me!” He groans as yet another wave of nausea hits him but he swallows it down. “The doctor said…” I nod and try to think. “Michael?!”


“Yes, Uncle Vic? Are you alright? What did you eat?!”


“Never mind that, your Mom needs you to be Brian’s nurse for a bit. Can you clean him up for her?”


“Yep! Where’s the kit?”


“Where it always is! In the kitchen!” I shout back. “And Michael…?”


“Yes, Ma?” He sounds impatient.


“Find out who hit him.”


“His Mom did. He said it made a change. Can I go now, it looks a bad cut.”


“Go on, sweetheart. Go look after your patient.” We wait for him to thunder down the stairs. “Amazing he has seen me take that kit out time and time again for that boy and still can’t…”


“That’s because he is staring at the boy. Debs, you know he’s got a major crush on Brian?”


“No he doesn’t! He’s his...oh shit, he does doesn’t he?!”


“Yes. Don’t get me wrong, I love Brian, but…”


“Not right together?” I nod.


“Not at all. Brian has…”


“I will keep an eye on it. Let’s hope it is a passing thing.” I help him up. “So how much is it?”


“Too expensive. There are other trials I can go on…”


“Vic, how much?”


“$5000 for a six month supply.” I whistle. “Like I said, other trials.”


“How much do you have left? This is the best you’ve felt in months, right?”


“A couple of weeks’ worth. Then I have to make a decision.”


“Let me know what you are going to do next Friday, promise me you won’t come off the trial or stop taking your pills until you do? I want a promise Vic!”


“I promise.” He gives a weary smile. “Am going to lie down for a bit, but I want a promise from you...nip whatever fanciful notion Michael has in the bud. He and Brian aren’t going to work.”


KINNEY RESIDENCE - SATURDAY A WEEK LATER


“They’re not in!” A neighbour calls out as I knock again.


“Do you know where they went and when they’ll be back?”


“In a week, Florida I think...”


“Where are the kids?”


“Took them with them.” She comes closer. “Between you and me, it is the first time I have seen them look so happy as a family and heard them so quiet!”


“And how did Brian look?”


“Great! Why do you ask?” She frowns.


“He and my son are friends and he hadn’t seen him at school for the last few days and was worried…”


“Dark hair, got a red bike?” I smile and nod. “He looked fine, in fact he was driving. Brian I mean, not your son.”


“Oh great. Well I’ll be on my way. Thanks.”


NOVOTNY RESIDENCE - MONDAY EARLY EVENING


LOUNGE


“What’s in these, Ma?” Michael asks as he picks up a box.


“Something for your Uncle.” I call over my shoulder. “Michael, what are you doing?”


“Opening it.” He replies.


“Leave that alone, you nosy little shit! It is not addressed to you!”


“But I want to see!”


“And if your Uncle wants to show it to you, then he will! Why not go and play with your friends…”


“He’s still in Florida.” He sulks. “He didn’t even tell me he was going!”


“Maybe it was a surprise trip.” I reason.


“Yeah! He didn’t know because he would’ve taken me if he did! I’m going to read.” He stops when I sigh. “What?”


“How about you do your homework instead?”


“I’ll do it later. It’s a really good bit in Captain Astro...” He turns to the front door as it opens and Vic comes in. “You have a parcel or three, can you open it now so I can see!” He starts to pull him to the table.


“Michael, stop pulling!” He orders and immediately he starts to sulk. “And stop sulking as well. I will open my parcels when I am ready, and I am not ready.”


“When will you be?”


“Michael, what about the good bit in Captain Astro?” I prompt, and after a few beats he slowly gets up. “Uncle Vic will call you, won’t you?”


“Uncle Vic, you will call me right?” He demands from the stairs.


“Michael, I am tired, go do what you are going to do. What is in there is my business!”


“Ma will tell me anyway, she tells me everything!” He declares and stomps upstairs.


“Porch?” I ask, and with a nod we take the boxes with us.


“Everything?” He queries frostily.


“Everything he needs to know...yes.”


“So what's got you all aglow, which I am going to put out because I have made up my mind.”


“Eighteen months of happy.” I beam at him and tap the box. “Open it.”


He looks perplexed as he does as he’s told and then gapes. “Sis! What the fuck?!” He whispers.


“It’s the proper stuff!” I whisper back.


“Where’d you get that kind of money?!” He demands, his eyes filled with tears. “I can’t let…”


“Divine intervention and not optional. I want you around, even if you are a curmudgeonly old bastard!”


“What do you mean, divine intervention?”


“It doesn’t matter. You have them, now take them. Whoop it up and live for fuck sake…”

End of flashback


“So you didn’t question where she got the money from?”


“No! I thought she was giving me Brian! And it was for his keep!”


“So why didn’t you give the money back?”


“I had already spent it, on the medicine for Vic.”


“So how did you propose to keep Brian?” I glower at her. “They will ask the same question, try and think of an answer before then and also why you continued to tend to him until...” She flicks through some papers. “...he went to college.”


“So what has she been charged with?”


“Embezzlement. Seems that she got the money from the church funds. Although retrospective, with her behaviour since then and now these charges, they have decided to excommunicate and prosecute, so you can see the problem you face…”


“Not really no!”


“Collusion. She is claiming you knew about it and took it off her as I said.”


“Bullshit! I took the money at first for Brian, but then Vic needed it more and it seemed to…”


“Miss Grassi, the problem you have is that you are estranged, both emotionally and legally…” She grips her pen when I go speak. “...the restraining order, from the very person who can prove the truth of your words.”


“Brian only found out recently, and…”


“I mean Victor Grassi. Besides, it was $20000 she took.” She leans forward and gazes at me coldly. “Put plainly, you have the potential to go down for this as well unless you get him onside. As a matter of interest, after the pills ran out, what did your brother do?”


“His immune system was strong enough for a different trial and he went on that.”


“Did he ever pay the money back?”


“Who, Vic? Not all of it. Over the years he paid back about $11,000.”


“Where’d he get the money from for that?”


“He never said and I never asked.”


“Figure a way to find out.”


“When do you tell them about the reason I took the money and what can they offer me for that?


“I will tell them today, and before you ask, the reason I didn’t tell them earlier was because I had to investigate whether what you said was true. Check with the doctors that kind of thing.”


“You didn't believe me then?!”


“Of course not! Given the lies that were told to the previous attorney, do you blame me?!”


“That wasn’t me! That was Michael!”


“Miss Grassi, you don’t seriously expect me to believe that you didn’t know what your son had said to the attorney or his ex-ex-boyfriend?”


“I didn’t!”


“But why didn’t you? Why did you blindly follow your son in this scheme? If the courts were feeling that way inclined they could also slap you both with a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice!”


“But I didn’t know!” I shout at her.


“Why didn’t you ask? You have a mouth as you have just loudly demonstrated, which I would advise you not to do again! Now don’t apologise for your behaviour, go home and think about what I have said.”


“Fine, I will see you next week then?”


“Yes, and one more thing.” I pause by the door and turn to face her. “While thinking about what I have said, prepare for the worst case scenario. If he is prepared to fake Munchausen’s, what else is he prepared to say? I mean, in his diary he admits, at least to himself, to making stuff up so that Mr Kinney would be abused. The only thing that lets you off any of that is because he did not mention you, but I will put money on it being your fault by the time he gets on the stand.”


“Me too.” I sigh and walk out.


MEETING ROOM 2


HELEN MASTERS - JOAN’S ATTORNEY


HELEN


“No way is the jury going to believe this!” I tell the shrivel up booze soaked prune in front of me.


“It is true!”


“No it isn’t! How do you explain that she left you with $5000 if she knew about it?!”


“I told her I took $15000 and…”


“Mrs Kinney, you are beginning to piss me off! Only you did this! If she blackmailed you like you say, why not come to you for more?”


“I had no more to give, she knew…”


“Mrs Kinney, it would be best, at our meeting next week, for you to arrive sober! I think that this will be a better use of our time!”


“But what about the rest of the…”


“Caroline, will you come in here please?!” She bustles in and rears backwards before rushing to open the window. “Oh, thank you for that! There is a mouldering smell in the air.”


“Was that what you called me in here to do?”


“”No, but again thank you for doing it. I would like you to be in here for the rest of this meeting,”


“I do not wish my private affairs to be conducted in front of strangers!”


“So you want to add jury tampering to your list of charges?!”


“What do you mean? Oh, pardon me, a bit of gas.” She slurs.


“I mean that unless you know the jury then it will be in front of strangers. Let us just abort this meeting, you are clearly not compos mentis enough to take part.”


“Abort! That’s what I should’ve done to the misbegotten little fucker! If he had died, no if they had died, then I would not be in this mess!” She declares. “God forsook me! All because I took a...a little bit of mon...money! Forsook!” She then rests her head on my desk then doesn’t move. For a good few minutes. Then it happens...she starts to snore.


“Oh for fuck...get security and get that out of my office!” I snarl.


It takes another fifteen minutes for her to wake up and be led out, by which time, I have got Caroline to send the recording to Mr Kinney’s attorney.


KINNETIC - EARLY AFTERNOON



KITCHEN


BRIAN


I was trying very hard not to be smug, but it was a little difficult because of Tigger. Not only because he presented to and signed the client, but he also...as I had to do something with my hands since my other toy was sulking in Pittsburgh...managed to make dessert, specifically cherry and coconut crack bars. Cyn came into my office rhapsodising about them and I persuaded her to let me have a bit, so now I’m here for my own, except news seems to have spread and there is a sizeable crowd...so I am pissed!


“These are so fucking good!” Someone mumbles, who has three of them. “I am taking some for my colleagues in case anybody is thinking I am being greedy. Although…” He looks over his shoulder and smirks. “...have you seen the fine ass on the guy that made them?!”


Forget pissed...monumentally fucking territorial!


“You need to realise three things…” Finch begins. “...one, nobody believes that; two, if it were true, your colleagues are more than capable of getting their own food and thirdly, do not refer to Justin in such a manner, his boy...partner does not like that kind of denigrating talk.”


“I’ll happy fight his partner for him.”


“You’d lose.” I retort then duck down to pick up the cufflink that I have just dropped in my haste to roll up my sleeves!


“Nope. Never lose. In fact I would fight Kinney himself for him!” I can hear everyone swallow and then those in front of me part like the Red Sea, and the admirer goes rigid and then plasters a fake smile on his face. “Uh Mr Kinney, it was just a bit of banter.”


“Really? Banter is defined as a teasing exchange of playful or friendly remarks. That sounded neither friendly nor playful. And why would you even entertain looking in the direction of my partner and then challenging me to a duel for his ass?”


“Brian? What’s going on?” Justin comes in with another plate of crack bars and puts them down. “These have gone down well!”


“Yes it’s the going down that someone wants to do that is the problem.” I growl and he looks from me to everyone else and Ted jerks his head in the admirer’s direction.


“What did you say?” He asks him disdainfully...oh now he is pissed!


“That they were fucking good and Mr Kinney was defending your honour.” He leers before he faces me again. “I understand that you have to set an example, but for you to say he’s your part...”


“I do not lie. Justin Taylor is my partner and has been my partner since I first laid eyes on him. Now, if you wish to continue to keep your job, I suggest you take your three crack bars back to your desk and stuff them in that hole of yours so that you can stop talking and do the job that I pay you for.”


“He’s not shouting, which means you’re in danger of being fired.” Justin smiles brightly but coldly. “And I am also not shouting, so there’s an excellent chance I will persuade him to do just that.” The admirer looks around slowly before heading back to his desk. “But before you go, if you think of switching your miniscule allegiance to him, or you even dream about me or him doing anything, at all, with or without you, I will know and I will cut your dick off.”


“Uh…”


“With a very blunt and rusty spoon. And again...not shouting.”


“Sorry, Mr Kinney, sorry, Justin, I mean Mr Taylor.” He mutters and scurries out, his face aflame.


For a few minutes nobody says a word, so I indicate that he should go ahead of me. “Uh, Ted, can you push back the meeting for half an hour, I need to have a talk with Justin, about something…”


“Sure.” Ted starts to chuckle as I stalk out, then shouts behind me. “Conference room 2 has been cleaned up so you can make it nice and messy again!”


“Duly noted!” I yell back and start to chase after my bouncing Tigger!








://thebigmansworld.com/2018/05/31/no-bake-paleo-vegan-cherry-coconut-bars-keto-sugar-free/

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thank you.