- Text Size +

CHAPTER 58 - TREASURE HUNTING, LETTING GO - SORT OF AND UNDERSTANDING

 

RILEY’S HOUSE - SUNDAY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

RILEY

 

“They still there?” Daph asks me. She is finding the entire thing unamusing. I am not bothered, but it seems that the beard reference and the thought of those two cuntrades in arms crowing over this really sticks in her craw.

 

“Yep,”

 

“So, remind me again why you haven’t spoken to the press, to at least correct the beard reference?” She is trying not to sound brattish, she fails.

 

“No need. Aunt Mami is on...your phone.”

 

“No it’s not, it’s Lynette, well I hope that Frederick doesn’t mind sharing until I find something else. Lynette, hi. Look, I am really so...oh well I thought, clearly wrongly, yes boss will be there in an hour!” I heave a quiet sigh of relief and keep the smirk off my face. “Well…”

 

“Look to the father. She is neither her mother nor her sister. She is your boss and friend. Now get going!”

 

As she dashes upstairs to get dressed, I pick up my phone and send a text to Aunt Mami to see what she has found out.

 

L’HOTEL DU COLLECTIONNEUR - EARLY DAWN

 

BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S SUITE

 

BALCONY

 

BRIAN

 

I look over my shoulder at the sound of movement from the bedroom. I see a flash of thigh before that sadly disappears from view but then it is followed by a gasp of surprise.

 

“Br...Bear!” Justin calls out...or should I say Faintday Boy. “What is this?!”

 

“I don’t know what you are looking at. I am staring at a beautiful sun rising behind the Eiffel Tower.”

 

“Can I open it?!”

 

“That depends on which one you are talking about!”

 

“Which...how many are there and are they all this size?!”

 

“How old are you?” I start to smile as I can hear a pause in the tearing of wrapping paper.

 

“Twenty four...Beaaarrrr! Where are they?!”

 

“You have to find them, this is a treasure hunt.” There comes a long silence before the soft slap of his feet herald his approach. His juicy butt sliding into my lap followed by his lips on my mine are another welcome development. I allow myself to be ravished almost to the point of fainting. When we break apart we rest our foreheads together and take in some much needed air.

 

“Happy Pittsburgh birthday.” I wish him, and he begins to frown. “Time difference, we’re behind here, it is still technically Saturday.”

 

“Oh. Thank you very much, and are you going to explain today to me?”

 

“Did you never play treasure hunt as a kid?”

 

“Yes, but this is you, so explain.” He shivers a little as he is delightfully naked, with a bounce to my knee he gets up to get the blanket then resettles himself.

 

“Comfy?” He nods. “Then I shall begin. Dotted around this fine environment are your presents, all twenty five of them…”

 

“Twenty five? But I am 24, and...is, is one from Gus?” His eyes shine and he looks hopeful, so without preamble, I nod. “So pleased, I love that little boy.”

 

“So am I, Mel says he has inherited his shopping gene from me...may I continue?” He nuzzles my neck. “I shall take that as a very sexy yes, so back to hunting, you just need to find your presents. I didn't hide them, but did buy them.” He starts to beam. “But first we need coffee, as sadly, you need to put some clothes on.”

 

“Why? It’s my treasure hunt, and I think doing it naked would be...you mean they are around Paris?!” He leaps up and dashes inside, I can’t help the laughter. “Shut up and come and help!” He orders, his voice filled with censure and embarrassment.

 

“Yes dear.”

 

BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE - EARLY AFTERNOON

 

BALCONY

 

VIC

 

Watching Emmett wrestle with his conflicting emotions is heartbreaking. This normally steel-on-the-inside man is hurt and somewhat understanding...but only just. He is hurt because Drew hasn’t said anything to deny that it isn’t Riley, and understanding that he hasn't.

 

“So is he ashamed of my flame do you think?” I stop pouring the wine and look at him in consternation and irritation. “Then why not…”

 

“Are you ready for what happens? The scrutinisation, the delving into your past, the everything that being the first partner to Drew Boyd, king of the Ironmen entails? I mean really ready? Yes, your clients know you are gay but how gay you are is another thing.”

 

“What do you mean how gay? I will not change who I am! I am like Brian, out and…” He stops and thinks before looking bashful. “...he is out, proud and unashamed; but he also knows TAP.”

 

“TAP?” This is a new one on me. “As tap da…”

 

“No not dance, it’s an acronym, means time and place. I get it now, let me call him.”

 

“Drew?”

 

“No Brian.”

 

“Why Brian?”

 

“Well, who else am I going to ask to polish my media tiara?!”

 

ROBBI’S RESIDENCE - SAME TIME

 

BACK GARDEN

 

NANCY

 

Lindsay and I exchange unimpressed looks. “Well, what’s it to be? Again the choices are take it or leave it, but choose the latter you can find your own residence.” Ronald looks annoyingly amused. “It will be furnished as are all our properties, in your preferred style, Nancy. Naturally, if you wish to change it, this can be done at your own cost. You will not be charged rent…”

 

“What about the property near Mel and Gus? Why can’t we live there?” Lindsay points out through almost clenched teeth.

 

“Peterson Residential does not own it. I assumed you had figured that out after the beatdown extraordinaire you received, but I can understand why, after that, it wouldn't have sunk in.”

 

“But Mount Lebanon is so…”

 

“Close to your fellow demons of destruction? Maybe you could have high tea together?”

 

“Who are…”

 

“Miss Grassi and her offspring live close by. You could compare restraining orders, to see if there is a way you can get to Brian.”

 

“There isn't.” Robbi chimes in. “And you two have to find a hotel if you are going to still be here over the weekend.”

 

“Why?” I boil with annoyance.

 

“As I have said four times, Lynette is coming over on Saturday for the ball and is staying here. And besides, this is my house and if I want you out, you are out.”

 

“What ball?” Lindsay turns to me in confusion as we have been pouring over society pages and didn't spot any notices to this effect.

 

“Texas Cattleman Ball. Do you remember my friend whose plane you sadly couldn't fit into? Well, he invited me, but I can't abide those kinds of things, so she and Frederick are going to take my place instead.” I purse my lips in annoyance. “Schadenfreude.”

 

“What?” Lindsay sounds peevish, which makes Robbi happier.

 

“Relishing the misfortune of others. Not so nice to be on the receiving end, is it? I do believe you need to answer your father's question, or are we to take your silence as acquiescence?”

 

“We need more time to…”

 

“Take it now or find somewhere else later.” Ronald orders.

 

“Fine, we will accept it.” I declare and I pat Lindsay’s hand. “The new Peterson residence will be a place of…”

 

“Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble?” Robbi quips. “And shouldn't that be Peterson/Stewart residence instead? Or was that bullshit on your part about divorcing Ronald?”

 

“Eavesdropping on private conversations is so unseemly.” I snipe. “So like you.”

 

“Nancy, before you continue your trail of vile…”

 

“But it is okay for her to sling barbs and brickbats, is it?! I am not going to divorce you, Ronald dear, I am here till the bitter end.”

 

“There was no barb and no brickbat, it was a question, which you have now answered and we can move on from! Although, I am very glad, that we don’t have to go through the embarrassment of dividing our possessions, into his and her piles.”

 

“Hers will most likely be the same size as the piles on her ass! Now that was a brickbat! Want a barb?”

 

“Robbi, don’t encourage her bitchy pithy pity party.” He twirls his pen like a seducer would twirl his moustache on seeing his next victim. “I have one more thing to discuss with you, and that’s the bank account.”

 

LINDSAY

 

“What about it?” Mother’s fist clenches as we have shopped for a few future engagements in the social calendar.

 

“Worry not, you won’t have to return your many, many purchases, I just wanted to let you know that it will be a joint account.”

 

“It is already a joint account, Ronald.” Mother reminds him sharply. “And…”

 

“Yes, but that was between us. This document makes it a joint bank account between the two of you. I will be withdrawing my funds.”

 

“Withdrawing…” I gasp. “...I don’t understand where all this malice has come from!”

 

“Someone get these two a mirror!” Aunt Robbi cracks out.

 

“Oh, don’t worry, my dears. You will still be looked after, it’s a living bequest. You have to thank Lynette for this…”

 

“Her! Why? What did she drip in your ear this time?!”

 

“She has, ironically, never said a bad word about either of you…” Mother huffs in disbelief. “...no she hasn’t. All the vitriol and venting of spleens has been flowing from you to her. No, she inspired me to do the right thing…”

 

“The right thing!” I spit. “How is this right for us?!”

 

“Do not speak to me that way, Lindsay! I am still your father, albeit in name only! I don’t have your respect, but you will damn well be polite!” I am astonished by his tone and the fact that he looks so furious. “I want an apology and I want it now!”

 

“I apologise.” I reply and rub my forehead and stomach. “But this is very stressful for me, for us.”

 

“As strong as silk...” Daddy chimes coldy. “...are the ties that bind.”

 

“I don’t quite…”

 

“You two spiders are caught in a web of your own making. Now, as I was saying before I was carped at, you will receive your bequest now. This will not include the bequests for Gus and Jenny, which, as we said before, will be held in trust by the executors of their trusts.”

 

“You are giving her the bequest now?” Mother is briefly stupefied before I see a small flicker of delight.

 

Both of your bequests. And that is it, Nancy.” The light in her eyes dies. “However, you and I will still remain married in the eyes of the law. Pay our vows as much respect as you did before. You can spin it whichever you want to your new nest, but upon my death you”ll receive nothing. Neither of you.”

 

“Gosh, Ronald. Your balls have definitely dropped!” Aunt Robbi asserts. “Must be nice to loosen that grip!”

 

“Yes it is, the best feeling in the world.” He sniffs the air. “So this is what freedom smells like.”

 

OUTSIDE L’HOTEL DU COLLECTIONNEUR - EARLY MORNING

 

JUSTIN

 

“You promise we are going to do this properly? No calling anyone?”

 

“You have my utmost and locked in my soul word.” He crosses his heart too.

 

“So who hid them?” I grin up as I take out the first envelope.

 

“Nonna.” He replies and I watch to see if he is joking, but I know him and he's not. “She and Carlo flew over especially.” He takes the paper and reads what's said. “We need to take the lift.”

 

“Lift why?”

 

“Breakfast. There is no way I am yomping all over Paris before you have eaten a hearty breakfast, and we are eating up there.” He points to the top of the Eiffel Tower. “Reckon you can hold out till then?”

 

All I do is nod.

 

TOP OF EIFFEL TOWER - FORTY MINUTES LATER

 

“Look at that!” I gesture excitedly at Paris stretched in front of us. “Just look at it!”

 

“This is your first present.”

 

“Pardon?”

 

“This...this is from Gus.” He stops to gather himself. “He wanted you to have the same feeling that he and I do.”

 

“I don’t understand. What feeling?”

 

“We three have something in common.”

 

I can't think of what, and I guess by that expresion it shows. “Come here and let me explain the workings of a soon-to-be five year old called Gus Marcus Kinney. He wants everyone to be as happy as he is, especially you, so he asked me one day do you have one and I said yes...let me finish. So I asked your Mom and she told me that there is one person you always did this with.” He starts to turn me around, my heart is pounding out of my chest and I can't help the scream.

 

“MOLLY!!!”

 

The air is knocked out of my body as she crashes in to me, we are both crying, I haven‘t seen her in almost a year.

 

“Justin. Justin, someone for you!” I turn to Brian and he is holding his phone out to me and there on screen are Gus and Jenny!

 

“Gus! Thank you! Oh thank you! You have no idea how happy you have made me!”

 

“Truly, you mean it, Jussin?!” He yells.

 

“I Tyson promise I mean it!” I wipe my eyes and take the phone. “Would...would you like to see her?”

 

“Yes, oh yes, please! We would love to!”

 

BRIAN

 

Every day I love that little guy more and more! As he, Jussin, Molly and Jenny chat, I signal the waiter, with a nod he starts to bring in breakfast.

 

“Jussin, Jussin look behind you.” Gus calls out right on cue and slowly he turns around.

 

“Oh my god! That’s…” He stares at the table that is heaving with food and champagne. “...how many people are eating?!”

 

“Just the four of you.” I tell him. “Now say your goodbyes and I shall explain.” Ten happy tear filled minutes later, two pairs of big blue eyes are fixed on me. “You have the day together, by yourselves. Now have breakfast and go find your presents!”

 

“Bear…” He whispers. “...I can’t believe you and...the four, you said four.”

 

“I know we haven’t seen you in a while, but surely you should recognise your parents!”

 

“Mom! Dad!”

 

Now it is Molly that is screaming, and my ears are starting to ring, then I find my arms filled with Tigger, so I give him a squeeze. “You okay?”

 

“Perfect.” He sighs. “So you’re not coming with us, are you?”

 

“You know me that well?” He continues to gaze at me with adoration. “We have Italy. Molly flies back tomorrow, and…” I press our foreheads together as the thunder rumbles. “...you need to go and eat.”

 

“Damn my stomach.” He sniffs appreciatively. “At least stay for breakfast?”

 

“Of course! I love watching you do something you love, and you love to eat.” He goes on tiptoes to top from the bottom in his kiss. When he finally stops, he looks very pleased with himself. “And you love to kiss me too?”

 

“Well duh! You have very kissable lips, and…”

 

“Boys!” Craig clears his throat. “Come eat the food and not each other.”

 

“Dad!” Molly gasps.

 

“What, sweetheart? That was mild. The amount of times we've had to verbally prise them apart with a crowbar and...hands where I can see them, Justin!”

 

“What can I say, Dad?” Justin grins cheekily. “He’s a hot guy and he melts my butters.”

 

“And when we’re alone in Italy, Imma gonna melt your butt!” I leer at him.

 

“Boys!” Jennifer giggles. “Opposite ends!”

 

“Yes, Mom!” We laugh and take our seats.

 

IRONMAN TRAINING FACILITY - MONDAY AFTERNOON

 

CAR PARK

 

ARI

 

“You guys ready?” The rest if the team nod and head to their cars, well when I say their cars, they are all driving the same car as Drew, down to the number plates. The press pack and others have been parked outside since the story broke, and Drew has been going berserk as he just wants to explain to his man.

 

As we all start our cars, and when the first few cars pass the flashes are blinding.

 

“Stop!” Someone shouts. “Fuck, the cars are the same!” All activities cease and they are looking at the cars as they go by. “Which one is he in?!”

 

I pause alongside the pap and wind all the windows down. “Not this one. Wanna check the trunk?” He thinks for about a minute before nodding, so I pop it and they all scurry to check. “Can I go now?”

 

“We will find him! We will get that shot!” He crows, but there is the tinge of uncertainty in his voice.

 

“Happy hunting, boys!” I laugh and wind up the windows.

 

BALCONY OF BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER

 

EMMETT

 

I can't believe it! Carefully and gently Vic and Darren help remove the wig and then start to take the make up and prosthetics off. Twenty wincing minutes later I am staring at the face of Drew. “Explain this to me.”

 

“It was Brian’s idea. Leo Brown called him when I quit and explained, so…”

 

“Quit?! You've quit the Iron…”

 

“Brown Athletics but that is temporary, let me do this first. So he suggested that I  got made up as Ari, we're roughly the same build and facial structure.” He licks his teeth. “How he has those damn grills in his mouth all the time is beyond me.”

 

“But why are...were you..?” I start to twig the ingeniousness that is Brian Kinney. “So he suggested Ari to see if you could get away with itf?”

 

“Yep. If I could pull it off as a Black guy...” Drew chortles. “...and Ari was more than happy to help, especially as we got one over Stenck too!”

 

“Well…” I start to laugh. “...those classes came in handy, huh, Shanda?”

 

“Of course! Film and stage make-up is my second calling, Shanda will always be first!”

 

“Come on, Shanda…” Vic stands up with an indulgent smile. “...let’s leave the two of them to get connected again.” He clears his throat. “There is only one rule though. Do not fuck in either of our beds!”

 

“As if!” I sniff indelicately but Vic holds my gaze. “Okay, I would’ve, but would’ve tidied up afterwards!”

 

RILEY’S HOUSE - EVENING

 

KITCHEN

 

RILEY

 

“Okay, Aunt Mami, I will ask and let you know.” I hang up and press the phone against my forehead.

 

“Well? Anything at all?”

 

“We’re almost there. She’s given me the number that called the papers, going to send it to see if anyone recognises it.”

 

Daph rubs her nose and frowns. “They didn’t hide their number? What kind of an idiot doesn’t…can I see it?” I hand it over to her and she screws up her face and hands it back to me. “No need to send it. It’s Fusspots. I made sure I had his number memorised just in case. What I don’t understand is why.”

 

“Why?!” I am now very pissed! “Because, no doubt, he thinks that I am gay and have moved onto someone else that doesn't want him. He’s unhappy and he wants everyone to join him!”

 

“Well, it’s a good job we’re going to Texas this weekend, because I would be doing some very unladylike things with my lady!”

 

“How about I do some gentlemanly things with your lady parts to put a smile back on that face of yours?!”

 

“You are not just a pretty face, which I have every intention of sitting on!” She races up the stairs with me in hot pursuit.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please, if reviewing, be kind and constructive. Thanks.