- Text Size +

CHAPTER 62 - THE DEVIL DELIVERS...

 

CAR OUTSIDE ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE

 

BRIAN

 

“Are you ready you two?” Dad asks, and with one final adjustment to my tie and hair by Justin, we nod. “We’ve got quite a crowd.”

 

“Are they in already?”

 

“No. Arthur wants us all in first, then the jury comes in, then them.”

 

“As a matter of interest, why?” Justin adjusts Dad’s tie pin.

 

“Because that was a good thing and I have to acknowledge that. We all do.” I nod in agreement and reach for the handle. “But this is the last thing I do.”

 

“Let’s rock and roll.” I declare, shielding my eyes from the flashing lights. Justin told me not to wear my sunglasses, they need to see me. Everyone needs to see all of me, unashamed and unafraid.

 

“Mr Kinney! Mr Taylor! How are you feeling?!”

 

“Great! Just want justice to be served.” Justin calls back. “For all victims of abuse, this trial is so important, so significant. It had to be held to show the abusers there is nowhere for them to hide, and to show the victims that no matter how faint their voices, they will always be heard!”

 

I lean down and kiss him for a few good minutes, and the look on his face, when I lift my head, is worth a thousand, no a million words. He looks so dazed but also loving and protective.

 

“That’s the money shot!” Someone calls out.

 

“No, that’s the honey shot!” I correct him, and, taking my honey’s hand, lead him inside.

 

OUTSIDE COURTROOM TWO - HALF AN HOUR LATER

 

JUDGE BALSAM

 

I take a quick look inside and the place is packed! The fan in me is desperate to get the Ironmen’s autographs, especially Drew Boyd’s, but one must have a sense of propriety. So I shall get my bailiff to do it in the recess. Arthur Fitzgerald is staring straight ahead, focused on the case. I have had him in front of me before, and once he gets the bit between his teeth, he is like a saltie...so powerful and tenacious is his bite force, which is why he is known as Le Croc by those who have faced him and invariably lost! Once he gets you in his jaws he doesn't let go until you are metaphorically dead.

 

“Ahem.” Is coughed behind me and I smile at Courtney Loveless, my favourite bailiff. “Should be interesting these next couple of weeks.” She does nothing other than smile. “You can settle them down now.”

 

“Your Honour.” She gives herself the once over and then opens the door. “Ladies and gentlemen, this is a court of law, we will have silence!”

 

The door closes behind her and the silence is deafening.

 

“Your Honour! Your Honour!” The clerk for the Joan Kinney’s attorney is rushing towards me. “I am so sorry, but Mrs Kinney is…”

 

“Too inebriated to attend?” I venture.

 

“Well, yes. Could we have a delay of…”

 

“No.” I rap on the door and Courtney pokes her head out and then sighs before she shuts the door behind her.

 

“How hammered is the old bitch?”

 

“Very and newly.” He replies grimly. “She was fine an hour or so ago but then seemed to get steadily worse. We think she’s hip-nipping.”

 

I sigh as I have to be seen to give the benefit of the doubt, but I have been hearing rumours of her pisshead behaviour. “Can you go and check please, Courtney? If he’s right, get lots of coffee down the old crone, because pissed or not she is going in there to look him in the eyes.”

 

INSIDE COURTROOM TWO - SAME TIME

 

ARTHUR

 

I look up as Courtney returns, she tilts her glass at me, rolls her eyes and walks back out. I seethe and then turn to Brian who is directly behind me. “A word.” He leans forward. “She’s drunk.”

 

“Oh, that's what that meant. I thought she was tossing off an invisible elephant.” I smile at the twinkle in his eye. “So now what?”

 

“We wait.”

 

Ten minutes later a delighted looking Courtney comes back in. “Ladies and gentlemen, the trial of the State vs Kinney, Grassi and Grassi will commence in five minutes! Phones are to be switched off or on silent, no photography or recording unless you are part of the media corp, and no raucous behaviour unless you like a stiletto up your ass!” This raises nervous laughter, especially when she strides to the front of the court and points at her stilettos. “There will be some things in this trial that will be distressing to hear. If you are of a sensitive nature, please keep your reactions to yourselves. I will not have the victim of these acts dealing with your reaction to it as well as their own hideous walk down memory lane.” Now everyone is quiet and I can feel all eyes on us; she looks at her watch. “If you are leaving, leave now.” Nobody moves. “I shall bring in the jury and then them.”

 

The five minutes it takes the jury to file in feels so long, she waits for them to settle down.

 

“What are you doing?” I turn at Brian’s voice and he is staring as Justin takes off a watch.

 

“Taking it off. I don’t want him to focus on…”

 

“Genius.” He grins at him, I am not sure what that is about, but if it makes him smile then so be it.

 

“They're next.” I murmur and he nods and takes a steadying breath.

 

She opens the door and clears her throat. “Bring in the prisoners!”

 

The air crackles with tension and I hear a small gasp of surprise, but the person I am interested in is still calm. The first one in is Joan, she does look absolutely snockered and it takes her a while to make her way to her seat. The look she gives me, I return with more intensity until she looks away. Next to swagger in is him. I have never had the displeasure of his actual company, for which I am grateful. His arrogant countenance disappears quickly when he sees the courtroom. He looks at their side, but the only ones there are the press, everyone is crammed behind Brian.

 

“Brian, are you okay?” He calls out and we are all stunned.

 

“Shut up and sit down, you dumbass!” Is bellowed by his Mother, and although I shouldn't, I can’t help the twitch of my lips. He scowls over his shoulder at her and takes a seat as far away from her as he can. “Move your ass back here, you don't get to choose where the fuck you sit, you shit!”

 

He doesn't move, he just turns his head.

 

“Do as your fellow defendant says!” Courtney snaps, but he remains where he is and seems to be making himself comfortable. “Move him!” Courtney demands, the guards start to approach, but he moves before they can take two steps. “Clever boy, that’s much better. Right, before I bring Judge Balsam, let me introduce myself. My name is Courtney Loveless, and I will be the bailiff for the duration of this trial. The rules for the jury and you are different. For the jury, no conferring with each other while the court is in session, no recording devices, and phones switched off. As for the three of you, you only speak to the court when directed to by the judge, and that will be to confirm your name and enter your plea. You may confer with your attorneys and that’s it. Any attempts at disruptive behaviour will be stopped immediately, and if you are unlucky, painfully. Nod if you understand.” They nod and she again clears her throat. “All rise!”

 

Judge Balsam walks in, and, as per usual, swiftly settles down and waves at us to do the same.

 

“Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. The defendants are to stand and confirm your full names for the court….” This time there is no cockiness, seems that the seriousness of the situation has finally hit him. “...good. I shall read the charges brought against you. In the case of all three of you, you are charged with the systematic and historic child abuse of Brian Aiden Kinney, child endangerment, profiting from the abuse of a minor, perverting the course of justice and failure to report a crime. In the case of Joan Kinney, you are to be tried separately for embezzlement by Diocese of the Catholic Church of Pennsylvania.”

 

Joan sways slightly and is steadied by her attorney while the other two myrmidons are still, and, in his case, sweating.

 

“How do you plead?”

 

“Not guilty, Your Honour.” Says Joan.

 

“Not guilty, Your Honour.” Says Michael.

 

“Guilty, Your Honour.” Says Debbie. “With mitigating circumstances.” Everyone freezes, it’s as if the world has stopped. “All will be revealed, Your Honour. Can I say something else, Your Honour?”

 

“Is this to do with your plea, or are you reaching out the victim?”

 

She hangs her head briefly before looking straight at Brian. “Reaching out, Your Honour.”

 

“No. If the victim wishes to respond, he will do that when there is a victim statement, not before.”

 

“Yes, Your Honour.”

 

“Now, all of you sit. Counsel approach.” I join them at the stand. “I have a note of not guilty by all three of them, why has she changed her mind?” He demands of Phyllis who looks as confused as we are.

 

“No idea. A recess…”

 

“Is not going to happen, counsel. Because of Mrs Kinney, we have been delayed enough.” He waves us back to our tables then waits for us and the murmuring in the court to settle. “The opening remarks will be by Helen Masters, the attorney for Joan Kinney.”

 

HELEN

 

I look across at the pillar of shit that is his mother. “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury and the court, the charges brought against Mrs Kinney are difficult to imagine a parent doing, especially one who purports to uphold the Catholic values. However, Joan Kinney was placed in a very difficult position…” I look heavensward. “...Jack Kinney, her late husband, would often beat Brian and sometimes their daughter, Claire while she was out of the house. She would only have found out after the fact, when it was too late to do anything about it.” I had said to her that there was no way that anyone was going to believe that, but she insisted! The silence is eerie and damning. “Your witness.”

 

We all watch her shuffle over to the stand and then she is sworn in. Andrew’s face is a mask of impassivity as he approaches.

 

“Are you well, Mrs Kinney?”

 

“As can be expected under the circumstances of his lies, which you are helping him with.”

 

“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, for those of you who are not aware, this is my now estranged mother-in-law.” There is murmuring from some and nodding by others. “Who lies a lot. Back to your attorney’s opening remarks. You claim that you only found out about the abuse inflicted by your late husband after the fact, is that correct?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“A lie. In fact, you have admitted on more than one occasion that you knew of and did nothing to stop the abuse of your son.”

 

“Rubbish.”

 

“I draw the court’s attention to Exhibit A. This is a recording of Joan Kinney and Debbie Grassi at Brian Kinney’s office at Kinnetic. They turned up unannounced, and were verbally abusive, and, in the case of Mrs Kinney, homophobic. Your Honour, may we play the recording?”

 

“You may.”

 

JOAN

 

I feel odd, very odd. I am trying to think, but my head feels fuzzy. “Mrs Kinney, you need to answer the question! Is that or is that not you admitting that you did nothing to stop your husband from abusing your son? Was that you saying that he should be grateful that his father didn't kill him?”

 

“This is something he has concocted! He has the technology!”

 

“Mrs Kinney, there is no point opening your mouth if you aren’t going to speak!”

 

“How dare you speak to me like that you…”

 

“Mrs Kinney? Would you please answer the question!”

 

“What’s he talking about? I have answered his question!”

 

“Mrs Kinney?” He steps towards me, frowning, I try to shift back but I can’t seem to move the chair. “Mrs Kinney. I need you to look at me.”

 

“Why would I want to look at you, you repulsive man?!”

 

“Mrs. Kinney, are you alright?” He looks intently at me.

 

The banging and shouting is so loud and confusing. Why are they doing this? I am so very tired. If I could have a nap for about half an hour I could be released from these bonds of bastardry that he has tied me in and go home.

 

ARTHUR

 

I can’t believe it! I don't think she's faking whatever the hell is happening! “Bailiff! Get an ambulance now!”

 

“Clear the court! Clear the court!” Judge Balsam orders, and my first thought is to get to Claire!

 

COURTROOM ONE - FOUR HOURS LATER

 

BRIAN

 

I squeeze Dad’s hand as Courtney comes back in. “All rise!”

 

The judge looks somber as he takes his seat. He had asked if we wanted to be in his chambers to receive the news, but we said no, we wanted to be with our true family and friends. I stroke Justin’s palm as he too takes my hand.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen of the court. It is with sorrow and regret that I advise that Joan Kinney is medically unfit to stand trial.” I feel Ben’s hand on my shoulder. “Due to her history of alcoholism and general ill health, she has suffered a massive stroke and is now in a medically induced coma.” I squeeze Justin’s hand again and we both stare straight ahead. “I will, however, take the somewhat unusual step of asking the jury to consider a verdict at the end of the trial in her absence.” We both look at each other in shock. “This is based on the substantial evidence against her and her behaviour this morning, where she tried to delay the trial by being inebriated. This was despite a sworn affidavit to her attorney that she has been and would be sober for the last week.” He looks across at her attorney. “Any objection?”

 

“None your honour.”

 

“Thank you. Due to the aforementioned, we will reconvene on Thursday at 0900. Court is dismissed.”

 

“All rise.”

 

As everyone starts to file out, I catch the expression on Michael’s face, he looks petrified and I am glad.

 

“Brian, the press are waiting. Do you want to go out the back?” Ted asks, and I shake my head. “Thought not.”

 

My head is spinning, but it is in my heart that I feel it. I feel nothing but relief that the door is slammed shut on her part of my history, never to be opened again.

 

“They say if she wakes up she will most likely have locked in syndrome.” Claire whispers as she gives me a hug. “I hope her life plays on a loop.”

 

“Me too.” I whisper back. “You ready for this?”

 

“All the way. Let’s go.”

 

We step outside the courthouse and are almost blinded by the flashing lights.

 

“Mr Kinney! Mrs Fitzgerald!”

 

“QUIET!” Carl booms and the cacophony ceases. “Now, one at a time.”

 

“What is the medical status of your Mother?”

 

“Mrs Kinney is in a medically induced coma, and, in the event of her waking up from this, she will most likely be locked in…” She holds up her hand. “...let me finish. She has total paralysis. The only thing she will likely be able to do, if and when she wakes up is blink, and that is depending on what medical advances are available. Now, I do not wish to divulge any further information. I am respecting her right to privacy as a human being...just.”

 

“Mr Kinney, Mrs Fitzgerald. Adam Fine from Pittsburgh Out. In light of your mother’s stroke, have your feel…”

 

“Stop there. My mother, Del, has not had a stroke, and as far as I am aware, Arthur’s mother is also fit and well. I am speaking for myself here when I say that my feeling towards Mrs Kinney are exactly the same as her feelings towards me.”

 

“Towards us.” Claire corrects me. “We want to express our sympathy for her suffering, the same sympathy we would bestow on any human being suffering from such a condition. But we want to emphasize she stopped being our mother a long time ago. I doubt she ever was in the true sense of the word.”

 

“No more questions.” Dad calls out. “They have had a long day and need to go home and proc…”

 

“Celebrate. It’s over. One down, two to go.” I turn to Justin, aware of how callous that comes across, but see no censure, no condemnation, just understanding.

 

“Ready?” He smiles, and I nod and the press pack part so that we can get to our car.

 

INSIDE THE CAR - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

JUSTIN

 

Indeed, one down and two to go. I pull my watch out and put it back on with a smile. “I will be buried in it.” I loop my arm in his. “Let’s see what he does when he sees it.”

 

“My dybbuk is coming to play?” He kisses the top of my head, then tilts my chin to kiss my lips. “I can’t wait.”

 

ALLEGHANY ICU - WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

JOAN’S ROOM

 

JOAN

 

“Who is laughing and why?” I look around and can see nothing but darkness.

 

“Hello, Joanie!”

 

The space in front of me begins to brighten and warm, I gasp and try to step back but can’t, I can’t even protect myself from the all encompassing heat. I stare ahead and want to weep.

 

“Jack?! Jack is that you? What the hell is going on?!”

 

“Yeah, it’s me, and that’s what’s going on, so welcome! Well, sort of.”

 

I find the strength to step back and shake my head, but I can still hear his laughter and screaming, someone begging for mercy. “Jack, stop talking in riddles! Tell me what is happening!”

 

“What you wanted. You wanted the devil to save you and he has, well, after a fashion. Whereas, I am here forever, your visit will be brief. You have a chance to redeem yourself, when you wake up, but that won’t be for a very long time…He soon stopped once he realised how much I enjoyed to hear it, which is why I kept going to make him start again, never did.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“The screams you hear...it’s Brian, begging for you to help him…”

 

I want to wake up! Let me wake up! Please God help me wake up!


 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thank you.