- Text Size +

CHAPTER 63 - IF HE COULD TURN BACK TIME…


JUSTIN’S TOWNHOUSE - EARLY EVENING

 

MASTER BATHROOM

 

BRIAN

 

I surface and find Justin holding a glass of brandy out to me, I take it and point to the other end of the bath. He shucks off his clothes, gets in, then watches me carefully.

 

“So what do you want for dinner? Order in, or did you take something out to cook? We have to speak to Gus soon.”

 

“Thought I would do the lamb. Actually, you can do the lamb since you have been promising to do this for ages.” He strokes my calf.

 

“True, and I never break my promises. And I promise you, I am absolutely fine. I am almost perfect.”

 

“Almost?”

 

“Hmm, I am feeling a bit bad about the devilish thoughts I am having about what I am going to do to you after dinner…”

 

“I am a very lucky man! Lamb rack and nine inches of meat!”

 

“Never forget the 2 inch thick…” I leer as I join him at his end of the bath.

 

CUSTODY HOUSE - SAME TIME

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I am livid about this development! After she almost croaked, it was decided that we were all untrustworthy and we had to either remain in the custody house, or, if we want to stay in our own residence, we would be on a tag and not allowed to leave the house. So Ma is at the house and I'm here. There was no way I was going to stay with her given the way she was with me earlier. As usual, she had to embarrass me!

 

I look around for the remote control for the massive TV that is hanging on the wall, and when I find it, settle down and press play. Nothing happens. I press again. Still nothing. I head out to find the guard, his TV is working.

 

“Excuse me, but my TV doesn’t seem to be working.”

 

“It doesn’t work. It’s for entertainment purposes only.”

 

“How is it entertaining if it doesn’t work?” I growl.

 

“It’s entertaining for me to watch the prisoners get frustrated because they can’t watch TV, poor babies. There’s a nice shelf of books; broaden your mind and read.” He turns back to his screen and I just glare at the back of his head before returning to the room and slamming the door. It opens again in seconds. “Right, lights out.” He snaps.

 

“Meaning?”

 

“Time for naughty bratty prisoners to go to bed!”

 

“Bed?” I gape at him. “But it’s not even nine yet!” I am tempted to remain where I am, but he’s the same guard from the courtroom and he was very keen to come across. He waves me ahead. “I am so glad that I won’t be here tomorrow.” I mutter.

 

“You will be here until the verdict. You can’t swap at will. Turn left.” He orders as we reach the top of the stairs, he then stands in the doorway. “Okay, you have two minutes in the bathroom, with the door open.”

 

“Two…” He curls his lip and takes a step. “...alright, won’t be long.”

 

“You will be one minute and forty two seconds.” He leans against the door.

 

DEBS AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - SAME TIME

 

DEBS

 

I lift my leg and sigh. It is another sign of my shame...even if I only admit that to myself, I am ashamed and afraid. I may be big, but I am no Bertha, I won't last. I can’t believe I feel envy for a woman who has suffered a stroke! But the one shining light in all of this is no Michael for two whole weeks, and if he runs his mouth the way he normally does, then maybe longer.

 

Taking the stairs two at a time, I was going to go to the bathroom, because I feel itchy and twitchy.  But I decide to channel my angst somewhere else...as I push open his bedroom door, I cackle. “Yes, this will do nicely.”

 

An hour later, I have cleared his wardrobe of every stitch of clothing except what he took with him, and box the last of them up. The bed is the next thing to be cleansed as it were. “Never saw much action, not even with himself!” I yank back the sheets and grimace at both the sight and the smell. “He will learn to use tissues very quickly or find someone that likes to swallow!” Heading to the bathroom, I grab some gloves and then downstairs for garbage bags. Another thirty minutes later, the bed is stripped and the bedding including that of his stupid superhero are ready for dumping.

 

Pausing, I look around the room and realise he’s never matured past that handjob. Everything is exactly the same as his teenage bedroom, except it’s better quality!

 

“I feel like that dwarf woman in the Exorcist, or was it Poltergeist? Well, whoever she was, as she said in the movie; this room is clean!”

 

MEL AND BEN’S HOUSE

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

Ben hands me more tissues. I can’t look at him because I know if I do it will start again. “Are you finished?”

 

“Yes. So now wh...he-he-he, right, that’s better. So, what will he do next?”

 

“He didn’t say, but he will do whatever in...Mel!” He admonishes me as my shoulders start to shake. “Seriously!”

 

I bury my head in the cushion to quieten my laughter. Ben has just told me that Granger had spoken to a friend who is in the prison service. Said friend has made absolutely sure that he would be one of the guards in the court or somewhere close, and will made it his mission to rain hellfire and damnation on the ass of daddy dearest!

 

“Does Brian or Arthur know?” He shakes his head and starts to chuckle. “Let’s keep it that way. So how did you reward his ingenuity by proxy? Oh, I have just had an idea!”

 

“A six of magnum. What’s the idea?”

 

“You bought him six pints of magnum?” I just stare at him. “He’s superfit and stacked! Thought that was one of the reasons you are crazy about the guy?”

 

“Pi...ah yes, you silly lesbian. Magnum as in condoms, not the ice cream. Idea?”

 

“Give him the TV back, and…”

 

“...make it all educational programmes. Maybe he could study for his GED? Give him a chance of employment when he gets out.” We laugh some more before he takes a sip of water and sighs. “What if they get away with it? Supposing the jury sides with them and says that what was done with the information is down to that spunkdumper?”

 

“Then that’s what happens, but remember that is the opinion of 12 people, look at the coverage it has gotten, and that is because of his actions in calling the press on Riley. Yes, the trial has been reported on, but it would’ve been anyway. It is more prominent because of who Brian and Drew are. Ben, he’s free no matter what, there is no way back for them anywhere, they can only go forward straight to hell!”

 

“Okay, so what is happening tomorrow?”

 

“Arthur is going to call his first witnesses.”

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - DAY TWO

 

COURTROOM ONE

 

ARTHUR

 

There is more media here and initially they weren’t going to be able to see Brian, but after yesterday, Brian insisted that the family sit back a couple of rows. He wants it to be just him, Justin and Vic. There is a squeaking noise and Courtney seems to twitch at each one, as the door opens, he comes in looking a bit smug.

 

“Who knew a rat could squeak like a fraidy mouse!” Someone shouts out, and that brings a smile to her face. “Pick up your feet, Fusspots Ratman!” He looks furious and stares at Courtney.

 

“Aren’t you going to…”

 

“Why are you squeaking, I mean speaking? Take that seat quietly and remain silent!”

 

“Playtime yet, dybbuk?” Brian says, and I turn to him in confusion only to see Justin shake his head. He fixes his gaze on Grassi, and once they are locked on each other, he blows a kiss and then waggles his tongue at him. His face twists in annoyance, but, and it is with a supreme effort, he says nothing. “How is that not playing?”

 

“Because it’s teasing.” He replies with a waggle of his tongue, this time at Brian, who growls. This makes the family and friends snicker.

 

“Boys, behave!” Jennifer calls out, and then goes to stand in front of them. Everyone is looking at her and whispering, wondering what is happening. “Do that for longer in the recess or go take the edge off, I think you have time for a quick tremble.” The unaware amongst us are stunned into silence. “So what's it going to be?” They turn to me and I look at Courtney, who looks at her watch.

 

“Sorry, boys you need to wait.” She strides to the door. “Going to bring in the other defendant and the jury.”

 

“Don’t see why you are looking pleased, Fusspots Ratman, he’s still going to get it, anytime, anyplace, anywhere!” The same voice from earlier calls out, and this time people try to see who it is. Grassi is craning his neck, and although I know the voice I can’t quite place it.

 

“It will come back to me.” I murmur to myself and give my papers another flick through just as the jury comes in and then her.

 

“All rise for Judge Balsam!” Courtney orders.

 

“Kinney will rise for Taylor later!”

 

“Your Honour, can you wait please?!” Courtney yells and the door is slammed shut. “Okay, seriously, who is that?!” She demands. “Show yourself!”

 

There is shuffling and my jaw drops, for there in front of me is Peter!

 

“Hi dad!”

 

“What the...why are you here?! Come with me now!”

 

“No. I’m here to support Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin. I will keep sneaking back in, so you might as well let me sit down. And don’t have a go at John, he didn’t know. Neither does Mom.”

 

“How old are you, son?” Courtney asks approaching him.

 

“I’m 12, so can I stay then?” He tilts his chin up defiantly, but I can see the plea in his eyes.

 

“I will tell Judge Balsam that we have a minor in court, shall I?” Courtney smiles over her shoulder at me.

 

“Please, if you could.” I blush, and she chuckles as she leaves the room.

 

“You do not say anymore!” I tell him firmly. “Go and sit with your aunts and uncles, and during the recess call your Mom.”

 

“Thanks, dad! Yes, dad!”

 

“Did that just happen?” A guard asks, awestruck, and a part of me is immensely proud, but not as proud as his Uncle.

 

“Once more. All rise!” Courtney comes in with a smiling Judge Balsam immediately behind her.

 

“Before we proceed, can the young man make himself known to me, though he is somewhat obvious, this is for the stenographer, please state your name.”

 

“Hi, Your Honour, my name is Peter Kinney Fitzgerald.”

 

“Pleased to meet you. There will be times during today's proceedings when some things will be unsuitable for you to…”

 

“Please, Your Honour, don’t send me out. We, as a family, have been abused just like Uncle Brian, so it’s fine.” I watch Brian blink a few times and Justin reach for his hand. “I’ve read them anyway, so I know what he caused him to do.”

 

“I understand, but nevertheless, if you are asked to leave you must do so and go with Guard Truman. Please make yourself known to Mr Kinney Fitzgerald.”

 

“Hi, may I call you Peter?” He nods. “We will just be in a room two down from here, so we won’t go far.

 

“Oh alright. Don’t know why you’re bothering, I’ll find out anyway!” His petulance raises another smile.

 

“I don’t doubt that for a moment, but as your father can explain later, there are rules.” His smile drops as he turns to the defendants. “When you are responding to questions from either attorney, you will be mindful of the presence of this young man and answer respectfully as well as truthfully. Understand?”

 

“Yes, Your Honour.” They both mutter.

 

“Good. Let us proceed. Prosecution to begin.”

 

I clear my throat and take a quick look at Brian. He is cool, calm and collected.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, as my colleague began to explain before the unfortunate incident occurred on Tuesday, this is a trial about child abuse. Yes, it is historic and the perpetrator long dead, but the defendants are as culpable as his abuser by giving him the additional reasons to attack his son and sometimes his daughter. They are, in fact, worse than him, because they added to his victim’s suffering while pretending to provide refuge, shelter and love.” I look at each one of them in the eye. “They may not have raised their fists at the time, but in what they did, how they lied and tried to make him pay for their love, they abused him too.” I head back to the table and look at my paper. This is for show. I know exactly who is coming first. “I call to the stand Mark Richards.” He strides towards it, and after he is sworn in, gets comfortable. “Mr. Richards, please, can you tell the court how you know the defendants?”

 

“Yes. I was asked by his former boyfriend to represent them and Mrs. Kinney in what I, well, we, believed was a malicious case brought by Mr. Kinney against them.”

 

“And how were you given that impression?”

 

“Mr. Grassi claimed that Mr. Kinney had evicted both him and his Ma from the house that they shared, which was true, but the reason he gave me for the eviction was not. According to Mr. Grassi, they were in a relationship, which had ended after Mr. Kinney had cheated on him.” He looks at him with utter contempt and gets an arrogant uncaring look back.

 

“How did you find out that none of that was true?”

 

“We were told that when the restraining orders had to be reinstated. He failed to mention them or the fact that he had a daughter, but not his rights, as well.”

 

“And who told you this?” He starts to go red. “Mr. Richards, who told you this?”

 

“The Judge at the original arraignment mentioned them, and then we found out the true story from his clerk and Melanie Marcus, the mother of his daughter.”

 

“You are an attorney. Why didn't you corroborate their story?”

 

“His. I never dealt with anyone apart from him and his former boyfriend. He was told what was happening and then told me…”

 

“But you still didn’t check, why was that?”

 

“His former boyfriend, and a client of mine David Cameron, was very jealous of the friendship or kinship, but definitely not a sexual relationship that the defendant had with Mr. Kinney. That coloured his judgement, and he believed the defendant, and insisted that the defendant was telling the truth.” He shifts in his seat and out of the corner of my eye I see him again smirk. “Once he realised what had happened, he apologised to Mr. Kinney and then told him what I was willing to do. It was him that persuaded me to agree to bear witness.”

 

“I see.” The smirk is starting to fade now. “Are you saying that Miss Grassi had no knowledge of this deception by her son?”

 

“I don’t believe so. In fact, she was furious with him because it meant she was arrested again.” Now Richards is smirking. “And I remember distinctly her words to him as she was being led away. May I?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“You tried to make Brian look like the devil, but we’re the ones that got forked!” There is sniggering, and she gives a wry smile while he glares around the court.

 

“Is it just Brian Kinney that the restraining orders apply to?”

 

“No, it applies to the entire family, both birth and animal, and their ex-friends.”

 

“Animal? Did you say animal?” I look across at a confused Brian but can see Vic starting to smile...surely not?!

 

“Yes, Ms. Marcus has a dog. They’re not allowed near him either.”

 

There is a snort and then a guffaw. “Miss Loveless, please control yourself!” Judge Balsam orders even though he too is smiling.

 

“Apologies, Your Honour.”

 

“Accepted. Continue, counsel.”

 

“Thank you, Your Honour. I have a few more questions. You have a degree in psychology, do you not? And you work part time in a practice in Portland, is that true?”

 

“Yes and yes.” He stares right at them. “I find the study of the mind fascinating, no matter how small the mind is.”

 

“Objection!” Grassi exclaims.

 

“Why are you objecting?!” Judge Balsam demands.

 

“Sorry, Your Honour, got ahead of myself there. She was going to object…”

 

“No I wasn’t.” Anita retorts.

 

“Well you should!”

 

“On what grounds?!” She looks furious.

 

“This is unknown to us.”

 

“You. His medical qualification is unknown to you. I knew about it.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” He turns in his chair and grips the armrests.

 

“Irrelevant…”

 

“Then you should object if it’s irrelevant.”

 

“You knowing is irrelevant but me knowing is not.”

 

“Excuse me, can you finish your game of verbal tennis on your own time? I am trying to question my witness!”

 

“Open your mouth and I will slap the words back in!” Grassi stands up and jabs her finger at him.

 

“You sit down! And both of you shut up!” Anita orders, and then turns back to me. “Apologies, counsel, Your Honour and the court.”

 

“Accepted, but control your client better. Both of you.”

 

“Yes, Your Honour, my apologies too, but sometimes it takes a mother…” Phyllis leaves the rest of the sentence dangling.

 

“Indeed.” I reply. “Now back to what I was attempting to ask. Mr Richards, knowing what you know now, do you think, there was the deliberate intention to cause harm by the defendants?”

 

“Yes, I do believe there was...and in the case of him, still is. As there was a certain amount of sadism involved, by the fact that the books were kept hidden as if he could read them at will, like you would a pleasurable story over a glass of whisky by a fire. But this is only pleasurable for him.”

 

“Thank you. No further questions. Your witness.”

 

“Do either of you have further questions of this witness?” They shake their heads. “Do you wish to recall the witness, Mr. Fitzgerald?”

 

“No, Your Honour.”

 

“You may step down.”

 

“Thank you, Your Honour.”

 

I head back to my table and take some water and then turn back to the front of the court.

 

“I call to the stand Roberta O’Donaghue Carson.” She glares at them as she sits down, and then smiles at Brian. “Mrs. O’Donaghue Carson, how do you know the defendant and Brian Kinney?”

 

“I was the headmistress at their school.”

 

“How were they at school? By that, I mean was this where they friendship first started?”

 

“Yes, thick as thieves. Both started round about the same time. Brian was, and is, the more popular, smarter, better looking, cultured...even then...just all round better.”

 

“It could be argued that you favoured Brian over the defendant.”

 

“That is right. I could not understand their friendship until Miss Grassi started to come to school instead of his parents. She genuinely seemed to care for him, but that clearly was a lie.”

 

“Did you see any signs of abuse?”

 

“Plenty. And I will say, to my eternal shame, it took a long time for me to do something about that, for fear of making it worse.”

 

“And what was the thing you did?”

 

“I taught him how to fight back and walk away, instead of leaving the fool that took him on in a bloody mess on the ground. He brawls, you see, I taught him how to hit once, and hit hard enough so that you both walk away.” A few members of the jury are nodding and making notes. This can go either way. “Thank you…”

 

“I am also teaching a couple of young Fitzies I know how to swing a punch. It’s a wicked world out there.”

 

I blink at her and then take a quick look at Peter, who just grins. I seriously need to speak to his mother!

 

“Thank you. No further questions, right to recall. Your witness.”

 

“Any questions at this time?”

 

“No, Your Honour.” Harriett replies, and Anita shakes her head.

 

After she steps down, I take a breather by again reading my papers.

 

“Counsel?”

 

“Sorry, Your Honour, just needed a few seconds.” He frowns but I give him a smile of reassurance, because this is where the doors to hell open. “I call to the stand Deborah Jane Grassi.” She looks surprised and slowly stands up before making her way to the seat and being sworn under oath. “Your Honour, and members of the jury, I draw your attention to Exhibit 1F. These are the medical records of Brian Aiden Kinney, from his birth until he was no longer under medical care.” You can hear a pin drop as the file is quite sizeable. “For the record, I am handing a copy of this to the defendant.”

 

“Noted.” Carly, our stenographer responds.

 

“Miss Grassi, I refer you to the front sheet. This lists each and every time he was referred to the hospital, and who took him.” She looks at the sheet and presses her lips together. “You were listed frequently, and then your brother took over that hideous task. Why was that?”

 

“We mixed it up. It wasn’t always him, it was just…”

 

“Are you seriously suggesting that the hospital records were doctored?”

 

“No, but they could’ve made mistakes, or…”

 

“Like they mistook you for a man and you gave your brother's name...by mistake? Come now, surely you don’t expect us to believe that?”

 

“Like I said, we mixed it up.”

 

“Let’s come back to that. Before we come onto the books themselves and how that started; can you tell the court what you wanted Mr Kinney to be to the defendant? Mother, brother, lover and friend? Because, let me tell you, that’s not how it works. He was 14 years old, dealing with enough crap, and you decide to pile a wet nursing, colicky, whining brat on him! Being the Mother was your job, the brother maybe his, the lover absolutely not, and, as been proven, Michael was never his friend. Why did you stop being Brian’s second mother?

 

“I didn't! I will always be his mother! At the time I just believed in tough love…”

 

“But you were tough on the wrong person!”

 

“He should’ve helped him be better than he was!”

 

“Again, your job!”

 

“Counsel.” Judge Balsam warns, and I nod then clear my throat.

 

“Perhaps a recess?” I suggest.

 

“A good idea. Recess for one hour!”

 

“All rise!”

 

MICHAEL

 

I will always be his mother! Where’d that shit come from?! I want to scream when she looks across at Brian with that usual sappy look on her face, then I see it and go cold and still...it can’t be?!

 

“Move it!” Anita hisses at me and I stagger to the door feeling sick to my stomach. When we get to the custody room, I just about make it to the trash can and throw up.

 

“Take him to the john and get him cleaned up!” Anita cringes.

 

“Need water!” I mutter.

 

“You can get that in there!” Guard Truman snaps his fingers, and I slowly get up and steady myself “And if you're lucky it will be from the tap!”

 

Ten minutes later, I am wiping my sweaty face clean and am angrier than hell. His fucktoy is wearing the watch! I remember him getting it, and what Uncle Vic said he should do with it. I also remember trying it on, just for the fit, and Brian saying I could wear it for a couple of hours but he wanted it back. But, of course, he got ripped and forgot about it. When Ma found it in my room a few days later, I told her about the shopping trip and the inscription. She said she would look after it for us and give it back when the time was right. So how the freaking hell does his fucktoy have a watch that she swore to keep safe for me?!

 

We rejoin the others and I immediately steam up to her. “Well?! Explain yourself!”

 

“About.” She casually sips her coffee.

 

“Why is he wearing the watch you promised to keep safe for me?!”

 

“Oh, you noticed that? Looks good on him.” She continues to sip before slowly standing up. “And I never said that all those years ago. I said that I promise to keep the watch safe from you.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.