- Text Size +

CHAPTER 69 - A HARD KNOCK LIFE

 

OUTSIDE COURTROOM ONE - DAY FOUR, AN HOUR LATER

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian is in a meeting with Arthur to run through the witness order. The press is coming towards me, so I wait for them to gather around.

 

“Mr Taylor, why weren’t you present yesterday?” A reporter asks, but, before I can answer, out of the corner of my eye I see Michael being led down the corridor. His face twists when he spots me, then almost turns in on itself as he walks past.

 

“Mr Taylor?” The reporter prompts.

 

“I wasn't present because our lives, despite this hideousness and the perpetrators who still cling onto his coattails and their delusions, goes on. I was dealing with some clients. Brian trusts me implicitly to do that and represent him and Kinnetic in an impeccable manner. I know what he wants and needs, both in and outside of work.” He has to be almost shoved into the meeting room to get him to move. “Now, excuse me  I have to support my partner.”

 

I smile at Mom and Dad and then my face plummets. I nod to the back of the court, and Mom stiffens when she sees Lindsay, Nancy, and their attorney coming down the aisle. She is milking the pregnancy for all it is worth, rubbing her stomach and wincing.

 

“Perhaps if she wasn't wearing a dress that tight, then maybe she wouldn’t be so uncomfortable!” Mom calls out, and the press turns to see who she is talking about. “For those fortunate among us not to know her, this is the other bane of Brian’s life, Lindsay Peterson…” There is murmuring. “Crawled out from that cauldron, have you? Oh, just listen to her, moaning like she was still at the orgy where the poor wee bairn was conceived. Can someone please tell her about the importance of blood circulation, especially when being pregnant? And looking like a snake still digesting its meal is not a bit attractive!”

 

Lindsay passes without a word, but her face is flushed, and, much to Nancy’s annoyance, their attorney stops them from sitting behind the press, making them sit at a table to the left. I am about to say something when the door opens and Courtney comes in.

 

“Lindsay Peterson and Nancy Peterson, I take it?” She says as she strides to the table and they nod. Lindsay heaves herself to her feet to shake her hand, but Courtney levels such a look at her that she quickly sits back down. “You may or may not be called today. You will observe the etiquette of the court, which is simple: you do as I say. Understand?” Again, nodding like dogs. “And the first thing is that you remain silent.”

 

I sit down and flash them a dazzling smile. I am so gutted to not have that returned.

 

“Justin…” Del comes to sit next to me. “...did you boys eat much last night?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

Start of flashback

JUSTIN’S TOWNHOUSE - EARLY EVENING

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

He’s been napping for the last hour. Del and Carl had left some dinner for us, but, as per usual when stressed, I didn’t eat much. I am about to head back to the kitchen when I hear a snigger.

 

“Will you please have some bread or something and then come back?” He sits up with a sleepy smile. “What did they leave?”

 

“The chicken soup and some challah bread. Want me to put it on?”

 

“Mmm. Two slices of bread and some Blue?”

 

“Be right back.” I call over my shoulder, and ten minutes later we are chewing in silence, and the aroma of the soup is as comforting as the taste will be. “I don’t want to not be there anymore. I understand that Alex did it to get Michael’s focus on thinking, especially after that row, that we…”

 

“He said he won’t request that again.” He sighs then rests his head on my shoulder. “Wonder how he knew that he hit me?”

 

“And he continued to hit you, but verbally, mentally, and physically via her.” He looks up at me in surprise and then he lifts his head. “The head slaps?”

 

“Maybe? Like whenever you went against what he wanted, would she hit you to bring you back into line?”

 

“Yeah.” He says slowly, then puts up his finger to stop me from speaking as he seems to remember something. “But never when I said no to something she wanted.” I hand him a notebook and pen. “What’s this for?”

 

“Are you going to remember?” For a few seconds he looks pained. “This is your notebook, Brian, yours.” He swallows hard before opening it and then after a minute starts to write.

End of flashback

 

Del pats my hand and rejoins Carl. They are being called today at the request of her attorney. The door opens again and the jury comes in, followed by them. I give them both a dazzling smile and he looks militant while she looks confused.

 

If Brian is fazed by the Peterson presence he doesn't let it show as he joins me and takes my hand.

 

“Should be an interesting day.” He murmurs with a smile. “Where do you want to eat tonight, or do you want to stay in?”

 

“Not sure. Can we decide later?”

 

He husks such a yes into my ear that it seals the deal, we are ordering in!

 

“All rise!” Courtney orders, and it is only then that they notice them, and while he frowns, she has a sly smile on her face.

 

“You may sit down. Prosecution to continue.”

 

ANDREW

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, I begin my questioning and cross examination by examining the  former relationship of the defendants with Brian Kinney and members of his circle. I call to the stand Detective Carl Horvath.” He squeezes Brian’s shoulder as he passes him, and I catch the scornful look on the boy’s face, as does he, so he returns it with equal, if not, more vigour. Once he is sworn in I lean against the stand facing them. “Detective Horvath, how do you know Mr Kinney?”

 

“I was in a relationship for about four years with the woman who I thought was his surrogate mother. I met him about two months in. He was busy building up Kinnetic.”

 

“And would you say you bonded with him from the beginning?”

 

“Very much so. We have the same work ethic in common amongst other things. He’s my son in all but biology.”

 

“And the defendant’s son? What about him?”

 

“No. No bonding, no nothing. He didn’t like me and his mother being together, and I didn’t like him period. He was pleased when we split up.”

 

“And why was that?”

 

“Objection. Relevance.” Anita stands.

 

“Your Honour, I am seeking to ascertain if she was as caring as she made out…”

 

“It has been established that this is not the case, why rehash old ground? Surely it is unfair on Mr Kinney?”

 

I love working with Anita! She burns them without them noticing, and, judging by that stupid expression, she’s not noticed!

 

“I will allow it, but as has been said by counsel, get to your point quickly.”

 

“Thank you. Why did you and Miss Grassi split up?”

 

“Because she was pushing for a relationship between her son and Mr Kinney, even while he was with Mr Bruckner. But I said Bri...Mr Kinney was far too good for him and we split.”

 

“Have you ever seen her hit Mr Kinney?”

 

“Yes. Numerous times.”

 

“Silence in court!” Judge Balsam growls.

 

“And her son, ever see her hit him?”

 

“No. Bitched at him but never hit him, and she never bitched at him as much as she bitched at Mr Kinney.”

 

“When you say numerous, how many roughly and when was the last time?”

 

“During our relationship about fifty or so…” He frowns and then nods. “...last time was just before we found them. Well, she tried to but I stopped her by threatening to arrest her.”

 

“Two hundred and sixty eight.” His face plummets; there are gasps from the court, and evil looks abound from the jury. “You seems surprised.”

 

“I...I am. It can't be that many…”

 

“It is that many. Well, that many that were in the public domain. Who knows what happened behind closed doors.” I walk back to my desk and she doesn't meet my gaze. “And that was only since Kinnetic took off.”

 

“I can’t believe it. You two are sick, just sick!”

 

“Detective Horvath, try to remain calm.” He gives a curt nod. “May I continue?”

 

“Yes. I apologise for my outburst to the court.”

 

“Accepted on behalf of the court.” Courtney calls out.

 

“I shall move on from there. Apart from physical and verbal abuse, has there been any occasion when the defendants threatened Mr Kinney in a different way?”

 

“Not sure I follow.”

 

“Have they ever tried to take him to court for example?”

 

“No. Well, yes, but they didn’t get far.”

 

“And when was that?”

 

“Just after Gus, he’s Mr. Kinney’s son via Lindsay Peterson, got sick. He travelled to Canada to see him and the next thing we know, they are trying to have him declared mentally deficient.”

 

“Why mentally deficient?”

 

“Because Mr Kinney refused to help him with the support payments to his ex-daughter nor would he help her with a debt she had run up. Miss Peterson also took umbrage about me being executor to his estate, saying she and Mr Grassi, as his oldest and dearest friends who know him best, should be in charge.”

 

“Your Honour, the court has…” Anita begins.

 

“If I could be indulged just a few minutes more?”

 

“Only a few.”

 

“Thank you. So if they had succeeded in their aims, they would’ve been in control of his affairs?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“With regards to Mr Grassi, has he been physically threatening to Mr Kinney.”

 

“No, he's too much of a momma’s boy coward for that. Shouts a good game though.”

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

“He would scream and shout to get his own way. He is a testament to the phrase silence is golden…”

 

“I’ll bet.” I pause in my questioning and slowly turn to the jury. “A coward, you say? Have you ever witnessed his cowardly behaviour?”

 

Carl starts to grin. “Not personally, but have seen recorded evidence of it.”

 

“And this was when?”

 

“When he attempted to see Mr Kinney a few months ago and he was refused entry by the receptionist.”

 

“Thank you. No further questions, right to recall. Your witness.”

 

They each shake their heads and I try to contain my smile in the face of their brain dumb clients.

 

“I call to the stand Daphne Chanders.” They both shrink back slightly as she strides confidently to the stand and is sworn in. “Miss Chanders, can you tell the court how you know Mr Kinney?”

 

“I used to work for him; first as a receptionist then his personal driver.”

 

“Were you the receptionist at the time Detective Horvath mentioned?”

 

“Yes, I was. Mr Grassi was advised that he could not see Mr Kinney because he wasn’t in at the time. He refused to listen. I advised that I would stop him, he did not heed that, and…”

 

“Excuse the interruption, please. At this point I wish to show the court Exhibit 1J. This is evidence of the abusive and cowardly behaviour demonstrated by Mr Grassi, it will be followed by IK and IL, this will demonstrate the behaviour of Miss Grassi as well. May I proceed?”

 

“You may.”  

 

I nod at Courtney and everyone is quiet while glaring at him as the court is filled with his hectoring, but when they hear ‘priming’ and he is tasered in reception, the court explodes with raucous laughter. The people laughing the loudest are, of course, Brian and Justin! Even though she doesn’t join in fully, I can see the amusement on his mother’s face. Meanwhile, he is sitting there stony faced looking hatefully around the court.

 

“Ahem. Order in court! I will have order!” Norace just about keeps a straight face, and slowly the court goes silent. “I think it would be best if the next two pieces of evidence be played one after the other so as to minimise disruption.”

 

“Yes, Your Honour.” Courtney simpers, and everyone seems to lean forward eagerly.

 

But this time their reaction is different. While there is amusement at her being tasered, there is fury from the court when he pulls Justin in front of him, but incandescence from him when Brian took the hit. However, there is incredulity at the words that spewed forth from her and Joan Kinney’s mouths before they were dealt with that stuns the court into silence. Then Brian starts to speak, and by the end of it there isn’t a dry eye in the courtroom as he stands up to his mother for the last time.

 

BRIAN

 

As the video stops playing, I seek out Trevor and he is smiling, I think proudly, and nodding. I feel Justin’s hand squeeze mine and the voice in my head goes quieter.

 

“Miss Chanders, was that the last time you felt the need to protect Mr Kinney from Miss Grassi and her son?” Arthur asks her.

 

“From their physical presence, yes.”

 

“Where else would you protect him.”

 

“His loft on Tremont. They would sometimes go there to harangue him.”

 

“Objection! There is no evidence of that!” Phyllis declares.

 

“Come now, counsel. On day one there was auditory evidence of Miss Grassi being present at his loft and threatening to make what his father did feel like a walk in the park, and also evidence of this at the diner from her son. And he frequently staked out the loft waiting for Mr Kinney to return…”

 

“This does not constitute a threat, this is my client merely visiting a friend.”

 

“Seven times in the space of two hours on one day when he was told that Mr Kinney was abroad. This is Exhibit 1M - the visitor book for the loft on Tremont. It got so bad that Mr Kinney bought the building, renovated it, by which I mean he put in an elevator that required a key, then hired a desk clerk with the express instructions to keep Mr Grassi out.”

 

This time I do look at him and he looks utterly devastated.

 

“Why would my client do this if he didn’t feel harassed or threatened?”

 

“Overruled.”

 

“Thank you.” Arthur smiles before turning back at Daphne. “Witness is excused, right to recall. Your witness.”

 

“Do either of you have questions at this point?” Judge Balsam checks his watch.

 

“None that are relevant to the trial, Your Honour.” His attorney smacks his hand from her arm and he trembles with annoyance.

 

“Continue, Mr Fitzgerald.”

 

“Thank you.” He waits for Daphne to sit back down and then clears his throat. “I call to the stand, Lindsay Peterson.”

 

She whispers to her attorney before he nods curtly, and after she settles down, her voice quavers as she repeats the oath, then she shimmers with tears.

 

“Ready?” He queries gently. “Are you comfortable, do you need a cushion or something?”

 

“A cushion would be good, thank you. Most kind.”

 

I try not to laugh as Courtney rolls her eyes, but does signal for the cushion, Lindsay takes it gratefully and then finally gets comfortable.

 

“Miss Peterson, do you think you are in the right seat, I mean the one before this one?”

 

“I don’t understand the question.” She frowns.

 

“By which I mean, don’t you think you should be charged alongside them with the abuse of Brian Aiden Kinney?”

 

“Of course not! I have never treated Brian the way they have!”

 

“But you still abused him in the cruellest of ways, wanting to keep him away from his son, didn’t you?”

 

“No, I have never done that. Brian could always see Gus whenever he wanted.”

 

“Rubbish. You systematically, like the defendants, used his visits to his son as a stick to beat him with whenever he didn’t do what you wanted. Even after he got his rights back, in fact it could be argued that you abused your son as well, by denying him access to his father.”

 

“I did not. I always gave perfectly valid reasons why Brian could…”

 

“Mr Kinney.” He interrupts sharply. “You will not use his first name in this court. You don’t have that right, and you never will again.” He acknowledges the cough from the Judge with a nod. “Why didn’t you give the diary back when you found it?”

 

“I didn’t know whose it was to give it back.”

 

“Pardon?”

 

“I found the book. I didn’t know it was a diary.”

 

“Miss Peterson, this is a court of law, not a nursery where you are telling fairy tales. Are you seriously suggesting that you found the book, didn’t check who it belonged to, and just kept it?”

 

“I had a young child, and my then wife was expecting our daughter, so I had other things on my mind. And over time, yes, I forgot about it.”

 

“So why didn’t you give it to Mr Kinney when you remembered it?” He leans on the stand and looks her in the eye, it doesn’t take her long to shift her gaze. “Well?”

 

“It wasn’t his, and by the time I heard about the notebooks that Mr Grassi had, I realised what it was, and…”

 

“You didn’t read it beforehand?”

 

“No.”

 

“So you gave it to Miss Grassi without knowing the contents? And why her why not Mr Kinney?”

 

“But it wasn’t his…”

 

“But it was about him, wasn’t it?”

 

“Well, yes, but it was written by…”

 

“Thought you said you never read it?”

 

She rubs her stomach and sighs. “I did but only…”

 

“It doesn't matter, not when it contains evidence of physical and verbal abuse and the constant betrayal of Mr Kinney! So, once again, why didn't you give it to Mr Kinney, your best friend and father of your son? Why not, Miss Peterson?”

 

“Because, you know, I couldn’t...”

 

“You couldn't what, Miss Peterson? Get any money by giving it to Mr Kinney? Didn’t want to lose the chance to blackmail the person who wrote it? That's the only reason you kept it, isn’t it, Miss Peterson? To get your greedy hands on more money?!”

 

“Objection, Your Honour!” Her attorney springs up.

 

“Withdrawn!”

 

She looks furious and I know instantly what she’s going to do, but so does Arthur.

 

“Your Honour, may I suggest a recess, in order for people to gather themselves?”

 

“An excellent idea. Court is in recess for an hour.”

 

“All rise.”

 

ATTORNEY OFFICE - TEN MINUTES LATER

 

NANCY

 

“Lewis! Why on earth did you allow him to question her in such a manner and in her condition?!”

 

“She was told to expect harsh questioning. I objected when I had to. As for her condition, she is merely having a baby, not fighting a illness.”

 

I can’t believe he is being so glib. “But he had cast aspersions by then!”

 

“He was and will be questioning her on the evidence in front of him, and responding to her answers. If she has answered them in a way that leaves her open to him questioning her motives, then that is his right, and her look out.”

 

He is a cocky bastard, but one of the best we could afford. I sit down heavily and watch Lindsay simmer and rub.

 

“So will you answer the questions correctly or will you continue to stammer like the pregnancy and your too tight dress have interrupted the flow of blood and need to survive to your brain?” I snap, and just about stop myself from pulling her hand off her stomach. That infernal habit of rubbing is one she will break, even I have to handcuff her to do so!

 

“Mother!” She gasps.

 

“Lindsay, the whole point is to keep yourself out of trouble so that we can live our lives the way we planned afterwards! Pull yourself together and drop those scales from your eyes! We have a bigger fish to fry!”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks