- Text Size +

CHAPTER 72 - NOBODY LOVES YOU BETTER THAN US

 

JUSTIN

 

I look at this spiteful little stain, then remember something that happened while we were in Tuscany…

 

Start of flashback

BEDROOM - AFTERNOON AFTER THEIR FIRST NIGHT

 

“Brian…” I nudge him in his stomach and he grumbles. “...beeping.” He huffs, then reaches for his phone before he, as Daph says, kisses his teeth, replies, and tosses it back where it was. “What?”

 

“Michael. He used a different number. Can you block that too?”

 

“With pleasure. What did he want?”

 

“Me to go out tonight. Told him to piss off.”

 

I turn to face him and he covers us a bit more. “Really? Bet that didn't go down well!”

 

“Judging by that beeping, no it hasn’t, but will deal with…” He's interrupted by his phone ringing. “...one second.” He snatches it up. “Michael, I am busy! What I am doing is none of your...what about him? I don't know! I have a client meeting and...no I can't meet you after, I am taking them for dinner! Piss off, Michael!” I have to stop him from throwing it across the room. “Can you do it now? He will…” It rings again, so I send it to voicemail before blocking the number. “...thank you.”

 

“Who was he asking you about?” I ask, and wait for him to lie down so I can lie on top of him.

 

“You! Wanted to know if I knew where you were.”

 

“Why didn't you say you did?”

 

“Because you are nothing to do with him, and soon I will have nothing to do with him either.”

End of flashback

 

I squeeze his hand. “Want to go now?” I whisper.

 

“Yeah.” He gets Arthur’s attention. “Arthur, are we needed for the rest of this?”

 

“No. You guys go. Dr Morris will go with you if you want.”

 

“I think that would be a good idea, but can we go to his office or something?”

 

“Counsel, is everything alright?” Judge Balsam calls out.

 

“Yes, Your Honour. Actually, may we approach?” Arthur looks across at their attorneys and they both nod.

 

“You may. Witness to stand down.” Michael stomps to his seat, casting looks in our direction, which we feel rather than meet. The Judge, Courtney, and the attorneys confer for a few minutes.

 

“Court is in recess for 30 minutes!” Courtney announces. “All rise!”

 

JUDGE BALSAM’S CHAMBERS - FIVE MINUTES LATER

 

ANITA

 

“While I think it is a good idea to ask the jury.” I begin carefully. “I don’t think we are quite there yet. Admittedly, he has pretty much dobbed himself in it, and…”

 

“Done what with himself?” Arthur sighs. “Dobbed, what on earth does it mean and where’d you hear that?”

 

“Dobbed, it’s an English idiom to mean to report or inform on someone, especially to the police.” I smirk. “And Trevor, of course, he is one for his idioms.”

 

“So what are agreeing on?” Arthur rubs his temple. “Ask if they would consider a verdict or see if he hangs himself some more?”

 

“I think…” Norace watches Arthur carefully. “...maybe a two day break, we're running into the weekend. A recharge of all batteries is called for, well, the important ones anyway.” Phyllis nods. “Were they asking to leave?”

 

“Yeah. Am very happy with that compromise. Don't want him seeing them leave as a victory.” He grimaces then sighs again. “Would you mind…”

 

“No problem, we’re more than happy to wait the rest of the time out, aren't we guys?” They all nod.

 

I am relishing getting him on the stand now!

 

OUTSIDE COURTROOM 1 - FORTY MINUTES LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

Despite what I said earlier, I am feeling victorious, although I ended up showing my true colours a bit. But that can be explained away in the heat of the moment, because of them being married after all the times he told me always have and always will.

 

So we have been dismissed for the rest of the week, and I can regroup with Anita. She is blathering on about something, I just nod, while I try to work out my next escape plan. Maybe I can get tips in boot camp. She jabs me again. I wish she would stop doing that, she reminds me of Ma! I am about to say something when, out of the corner of my eye, I see Dr Morris coming down the corridor.

 

“So?” I turn my attention back to Anita and frown. “We are agreed on that, you are changing your plea to straight up guilty?”

 

“What?!” I explode. “What the fucking frigging shitting hell would I do that for?!”

 

“Because you admitted it in court.” She declares heatedly.

 

“Are you serious?!” I reach back to steady myself against the wall. “But that wasn't meant.”

 

Dr Morris is is almost glowing with satisfaction at my reaction; he stops as he draws level. “It was meant then, and you've admitted it now. Oh, and don’t go down the Tourette’s route, you are just a foul mouthed yobbo. See you on Monday.” He starts to walk away, but when he turns back, his smile almost cracks his face. “And one other thing, they were always going to be leaving at that time, not because of your outbreak of honesty, which seems to be bringing you out in a rash. Seems they have a romantic getaway planned to celebrate their latest union.” He chuckles all the way out the door, while I smart and fume.

 

“Are we doing this or not?!” Anita snaps my attention back to her.

 

“No, I am still pleading not guilty.”

 

“On your own head be it.” She asserts before signalling the officer. “Get him out of my sight!”

 

And she too follows Dr Morris out but instead of chuckling she is muttering.

 

“Come on, Bootcamp awaits.” My usual guard tells me.

 

“I need to go back to the house and collect my stuff.” I wait for him to finish putting on the handcuffs, then start to walk out the front door, this is the one part I hate as the press is always waiting,

 

“Ah-ah-ah you go out the back, like all prisoners.” He halts my progress for which I am grateful but don't show it. “And you are already packed!” I glare at him but say nothing.

 

“Enjoy your first night - try to make friends there. If you are lucky, that's where they will keep you!” I stop at Ma’s snarky tone and turn to face her. “So, by you refusing to change your plea you achieve what exactly?!”

 

“Always have always will!” I rage, still angry that she did what she did in court. “I have been lied to all my life, and…”

 

“Because you can't handle the truth without breaking down like some dying swan! And the one thing he never did before he started to behave like the man he is meant to be, is lie to you! He never loved you like that and you knew it but would not accept it! For once in your life, do the decent thing and let him be happy! Accept your part in his misery and the punishment that comes with it!”

 

“You have changed your tune!” I scoff.

 

“I haven't changed my tune, you dumb ass punk! I am as determined as you to keep Brian in my life, and since it has to be on his terms then that is what I will abide by! You want him in your life because he owes you...well he’s paying, or don't you realise?!”

 

“Paying me?! How is this paying me?!”

 

“He’s paying you back in misery! He owes you that and that alone! Now excuse me, I have a home to get to! I am ready to leave, officer!”

 

EMMETT

 

I smile as he is dazzled by the flashing lights of the cameras, I saw his face when the guard told him that he had to go out the back way, so Ari tipped the press off and her ranting bought them time to get round there. And now Ari and Drew have come up with another rather brilliant idea. I see a slightly strained looking Tigger coming out of the bathroom. Brian had managed to get in the car just before Dr Morris, and without the turgid turd seeing him.

 

“Hey, sweetie, a word please?”

 

“Can we talk later? I need to…”

 

“No, honey, you need to listen…” I tell him firmly and find an empty room.

 

ARI’S RESIDENCE - NEXT MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

JUSTIN

 

I am so grateful to The Ironmen and Emmett, as respectful of our privacy as most of the press have been, there have been the odd one following us, but of course they wouldn’t even think to follow Ari, why would they? He’s Drew’s teammate and unlike the rest is never in court. So here we are in his place. It is so secluded and wonderfully peaceful, a complete juxtaposition to the image he projects.

 

“Morning.” I call over my shoulder as I hear Brian padding in. He wraps his arms around me and sighs. “You okay?”

 

“Much better after that chat with Trevor. I can’t, and yet I can believe that Michael saw you first, and that was why he had been ramping up the pestering and the demands. I just didn’t connect the two…”

 

“Why would you?” I turn in his arms to kiss him slowly and gently. “He had never expressed an interest in Kinnetic before, so you just dismissed it as idle chit chat.” He nods. “Now, I think some breakfast is called for. What about some…” I stop as the door knocks. He frowns and signals for us to keep quiet, as the kitchen faces the front. I move to the window to try to see who it is without drawing attention, then groan. “We might as well open it. We’ve been found.”

 

“For crying out loud!” He grumps. “Well, they can wait for us to get some clothes on!” As he passes the door, he pauses. “We’re going to be at least 10 minutes so you might want to go back to your car and wait!” He bellows, and starts to stomp up the stairs.

 

“But Daddy, I want neck bubbles now!” Is shouted back.

 

“Gus? Gus?!” He yells as he flies back down the stairs and rips open the door, I sniff as Gus leaps into his arms. “Oh my Sonny Boy! What the?! When the?!” He stammers at me and I am sure my eyes are as bright as his.

 

“Neck bubbles, Daddy! Then neck bubbles from Jussin!” He cries, and we duly bubble our little boy.

 

“You can thank Emmett and your two dads.” I whisper to him as Gus grins from ear to ear.

 

“I will. And I will be thanking you very much later!”

 

“Look forward to it!”

 

“Come on, Daddy! Jussin! We’ve got to cook breakfast. I have a grumbly tumbly!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be constructive and kind if reviewing