- Text Size +

CHAPTER 78 - ABERGIN, A GOOSE GETS A GIGGLE AND THE REALISATION

 

NORACE

 

I look at Courtney as the chattering outside the courtroom gets louder. She heads out to quell it as only she can.

 

“Uh, Nor...Your Honour, lose them, and not a recess!” She hisses less than a minute later without coming in. “Now!”

 

“All…”

 

“Bar those three!” Her tone has me acting quickly.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, due to circumstances beyond my control court is adjourned until tomorrow!” I declare, and gape as Field and Strong, two other clerks, come in to assist, so whatever has happened is big!

 

Twenty minutes later it is just the four of us. “He won't be long.” Courtney murmurs. “I can't believe it, I knew something was off! We all did!”

 

We frown at her pacing, then the door opens bringing in Trevor Morris. “Have you told them?”

 

“No.” She replies with tears in her eyes. “What made him…”

 

“He’s been following the trial. He saw his determination, saw that no matter what happens the world had to know. And it wasn't his fault. Everyone has their breaking point. Imagine all those years free and…”

 

“Free? Know what? Who he?” Anita demands.

 

“Abergin.” Courtney sniffs. “Memphis Abergin, you remember him? He was the guy who Trevor wrote about, the guy who beat his brother almost to death and nobody could get him to say why, not even Trevor?” Slowly we begin to nod. “Well he, I mean Abergin, finally said why.” She sits down and starts to weep, immediately Phyllis is by her side. “His...his father and other brothers would beat him, but that brother would, he would…”

 

“Jesus.” I whisper. “He raped him?”

 

Trevor nods. “Memphis ran away and for years none of them could find him, but that particular brother kept looking for him then found him.” Nobody says a word, we're just stunned and horrified. “And we all know the rest…”

 

“So now what?” I sigh, slumping back in my seat then sitting up quickly. “What else did he say?!” Trevor begins to smile, he's followed by Arthur, Phyllis, Anita and slowly by Courtney I can feel my heart pounding. “Abergin is asking for a retrial?”

 

“Yes, well that’s the theory if he can get an attorney to ask for one. And guess who he wants as an attorney?” We shake our heads. “The one and only Arthur Fitzgerald!”

 

“What?!” Arthur gasps and sits down with a thud.

 

“Need a secondary?!” Phyllis pleads.

 

“And a thirdary!” Anita’s hand shoots up; we just stare at her. “Thirdary?! What the hell?! Third, I meant…”

 

“We got it and yes absolutely!” Arthur laughs before sobering and turning to Trevor. “It will be hard to prove anything, and…”

 

“Seems the brother and your client, Anita, have something in common...but not notebooks. Abergin said he filmed it, and used that to keep him quiet, the shame of it. Said his brother would tell the world that he enjoyed it, when he would just get through it to avoid something far worse.”

 

“Is he…” I begin feeling I already know the answer.

 

“No, and neither is the brother gay. This was all about a literal abuse of power and position, much like the Grassis. She, at least, admits it was because she could, and she could patch up the abuse until Kinney's father broke bones. But the brother, he was much more insidious, he was…”

 

“Not another word!” Arthur springs up and starts to run out.

 

“Arthur?!” I call to his retreating back but he doesn't stop. “Any ideas?”

 

“He's got his closing argument….” Courtney grins. “...and I think he is going to call Claire. The reason for taking the partnership in Connecticut was Joan Kinney, to get Claire and the boys away from her, she harassed them you see. And now she's no longer a factor…”

 

“Pittsburgh and Abergin reap the rewards.” I smile. “Okay, let me speak to a few people. He wants a retrial, and a retrial he will get!”

 

BATHROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER

 

MAMI

 

I take the water from Del and head back to the stall. My heart aches at the sight of Brian wiping his mouth after puking, his hair and shirt cling to him because he is drenched in sweat. “Drink this.” I order quietly. “Slowly.” He takes the glass and I am pleased that he is not shaking anymore…

 

Start of flashback

MEETING ROOM TWO - TWENTY MINUTES PRIOR

 

“What the hell just…” Brian yanks at his tie. “...that did just happen, right?!” He strides from one end of the room to the other. “I didn't imagine it?!”

 

“No. Brian, are you…” Justin's tone is full of worry and he’s not the only one!

 

“Fine?!” He takes a deep shuddering breath. “Uh, no, I'm not freaking fine! I'm freaking the hell out!” He stops pulling on his tie and starts raking his fingers through his hair. “They knew! They all knew! If he had said, I could've stopped him! Given him what…”

 

“Brian.” Vic’s tone seems to bring him around a bit. “Michael would've demanded more and you know that. Now breathe, calm down and breathe.”

 

“So hot in here...too hot, can't breathe!” He gabbles trying his tie again. “It was so bad, so bad! Every day someone would hurt him, every day!”

 

“With me now!” I order and take his arm firmly; we are in the bathroom in seconds, and thankfully it is empty, I lock the door and find the best stall. Brian is still striding. “Stand here!” I point at my feet and when he does so I undo his tie and take it and his jacket off. “Now go puke.” He stares at me dumbfounded. “I said go puke, like you did when you found out about them. Bring all your pain, your hatred and your anger up and get rid of it. Do it now…”

End of flashback

 

Pulling as many towels as I can, I put them on the counter and help him up, then start to unbutton his shirt.

 

“What are you doing?” He tries to move away but I pull him right back.

 

“You stink and your shirt’s a mess.” I reply,  batting away his feeble attempts to stop me. He soon gives up and, as meek as a lamb, lets me clean him up. During that time nobody says anything. I clear my throat and look up at him, his eyes are beginning to brighten. “It is a crime.”

 

“What?”

 

“Perjury.”

 

“Perj…” He pauses and we stare at each other, he starts to smile then he chuckles. “...how’d…?”

 

“Oh, come on, you were a horny, what 14 or 15 year old? And there is no way it was just a kiss in his bedroom while his folks were out!”

 

He snorts and I look expectantly at him. “I have to tell Justin first.”

 

“As you should...then you tell me, none of the Kinney promise and Taylor swear bullshit, I want to know everything!”

 

“Mami!” He giggles. “You are one hell of a broad!”

 

“I know!”

 

THE LOFT, LIBERTY AVENUE - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

DREW

 

“So…” I prompt handing him a glass of wine. “...Christopher, I mean Jack. So why not come out when I did?”

 

“I am not a linebacker. What little sponsorship I have will be gone, and…besides, one is okay but two is not, so I am going to quit the Ironmen.”

 

“Like fuck are you!” Leo snaps, slamming his glass down. “So you like cock and not clit, big fucking deal! But umm...do you have a boyfriend?”

 

“Uhm…” He blushes then points, and all jaws drop. “...for two…”

 

“Two and a half.” Kevo corrects him with smile.

 

“Months?” Ari is still incredulous.

 

“Years.”

 

“What the what?!” Ari shrieks and stands in front of him. “But...but I am your brother!”

 

“You know I am gay…”

 

“But a boyfriend? That I did not know! And you…” He whirls to face Jack. “...I set you up on dates!” He shrugs and pats the seat next to him. Kevo sits down. “ Of one, was our cousin Sarah! She is going to be devastated that you effectively bearded her!”

 

“She knows.” Kevo smirks. “Said straight away and threatened to razor wire his nuts if he so much looked at anyone else.”

 

“I am telling Mom!” He storms sounding like a two year old and then he sits down. “You aren't serious about quitting?” He looks across at Leo. “You aren't going to let him are you?”

 

“No.” They both reply.

 

“So did they subpoena you to make you come to court?” I ask wondering how he got there.

 

“No. When she called, by she I mean her attorney, I said no at first but then Kevo told me how Justin was for Brian. And...and I remembered how he was for me in school, it was the right thing to do.”

 

“Even if he did lie…”

 

“Kevo!”

 

“Lie? Lied about what?” Emmett has regained the power of speech.

 

“That it was more than a kiss but less than a fuck.” Kevo answers.

 

“Emmett!” I bellow as he passes clean out, thankfully Kevo catches him before he hits the deck. Fifteen minutes later he is coming around. “Can you sit up?” He nods and slowly shuffles upright and rests against me. “Hey, hey what?” I hold his weeping form tighter.

 

“Michael, he...he would tell us about the kid in school; how much crap he got kicked out of him, and how awful it was for him. And it turns out he was the cause.”

 

“And now it is time for him to pay.” I kiss the top of his head and rock him until he stops crying.

 

MOTIVATIONAL BOOT CAMP QUEHANNA, KARTHAUS TOWNSHIP - SAME TIME

 

MEETING ROOM THREE

 

MICHAEL

 

I pace around the room waiting for my so-called attorney to come in, when the door opens, I manage to stop myself from slapping some sense into her! I wait for her to sit down, then take out her papers and finally to look at me.

 

“You owe me an explanation and an…”

 

“You got away with it once, so you did it again. You lied to me, and I owe you nothing. Do you have any idea how it felt to be blindsided in there?!”

 

I sit back in my seat. “As I said before and will say again, what people do with the information provided is their business, not mine.”

 

“That's as maybe for Jack, but…”

 

“But nothing!” I scoff.

 

“Why not out them both?” She interrupts and I remain silent. “Thought as much.”

 

I frown as she stands up and gathers her papers. “Where are you going? We have things to discuss!”

 

“No, we're done talking. See you in court tomorrow and be prepared.”

 

“Are you putting me back on the stand and going to ask the right questions?!”

 

“I have asked the right questions, you have given the wrong answers! But no, I am not putting you on the stand. It is final arguments and going to jury then verdict. By the end of this week, you will either go free or not.”

 

I blench. “At least if, by some ridiculous notion, I am found guilty, I will be in this place.”

 

She pauses. “You won't be. You will go where all abusers go...to jail.”

 

JUSTIN'S TOWNHOUSE - LATE AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

I am trying not to laugh as a red faced Brian is retelling Mami what happened all those years ago.

 

“Justin! Is that what he told you?!” She calls out from the speaker.

 

“Yes, Mami! That is what he told me!” I answer chuckling.

 

“Well I bid you both goodnight and have a wonderful trip down Recreation Lane!”

 

“Mami!” Brian cries and cut the call on her laughter. He heads to the cart and pours us both a drink. “Thoughts?” He asks as he sits down next to me, and watches me drain my glass.

 

“He was your past, I am your present and future...so do you want to walk?”

 

“Mmmm!” He mumbles around his glass, then puts it down with a leer. “At least my recovery period is better, he had to wake me up!”

 

“Brian!” I snicker and then scream with laughter as he chases me up to the bedroom.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.