- Text Size +

CHAPTER 81 - ...REALITY, THE STING OF THE WASP IS SOOTHED BY FOOD

 

NORACE

 

I look at my watch again and then sigh. Looks like we are going to be going until the afternoon at least. Courtney, stepping in, slightly grim faced, confirms my suspicions. “Do they think they will reach a verdict today or shall we adjourn until tomorrow?”

 

“They may reach a verdict this afternoon, but judging by the atmosphere I doubt it. I would adjourn until at least 4pm, Your Honour.”

 

I nod and the court seems to slump in disappointment. “As you just heard, court is adjourned until 4pm.”

 

“All rise!” Courtney orders, and silently we all file out.

 

ATTORNEY'S OFFICE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

ANITA

 

I look up as the door opens and the simmering volcano that is my client is brought in. I am not taking any chances and clear my throat. Willis, the guard, nods and closes the door, with him this side of it.

 

“Are you going to sit down?” I ask him.

 

“This is a private conversation…” He glares pointedly at Willis.

 

“He stays.” I return. “Or we don’t talk.” He ponders this for a minute before sitting down. “I take it you were not happy with my summation or closing argument?”

 

“You could’ve put it a much better way than you did.” He huffs.

 

“You could’ve behaved in a much better way than you did!” I snap back and he leans forward. “Sit back, Mr Grassi, or he will escort you to a cell.”

 

He looks over his shoulder and Willis takes a step forward with a hopeful expression. He sits back and sighs crossly. “So now what happens? It’s a good thing that they can’t agree quickly!”

 

“How do you work that out?” I frown, and Willis snickers, earning himself a baleful look tossed over the idiot’s shoulder.

 

“Because it is.” He states emphatically.

 

“Okay, you keep holding onto that…”

 

“Pipe dream.” Willis interrupts. “When they take less than 10 minutes and have been looking at you the way they have it is not good. When they have been looking at you the way they have and are taking their time; they are most likely trying to work out the level of culpability. You are guilty, all of you.”

 

“Why should I believe you?!” He scoffs, turning to face him. “You’re not an attorney, you know nothing of the law. You are…”

 

“Correct. He is absolutely correct. Either way, this is not good for you. Now is that all?”

 

“What happens about Jack? I mean, Christopher, now?”

 

“What do you mean?” I sigh as I put my pen down.

 

“Will I have to go through all of this again with him?” He scowls as he rocks back on his chair, it creaks in protest...whereas I wish it would crack and dump his butt on the floor! “I mean, like Brian, look what he has now. He’s an Ironman!”

 

“And he was a victim of bullying before that. And the singular constant is you.” I smile. “But he might just be content with doing what Brian is doing, which is being happy with his boyfriend and moving into the Loft.” The front legs of the chair hit the floor hard and the anger blazes in his eyes. “But if he wants to follow Brian’s lead, then yes you would have that to contend with.”

 

“This is an utter crock!” He fumes.

 

“No, that would be your behaviour.” Willis sneers before looking at his watch. “Have you ordered food?”

 

“No. Is this a new take on the condemned man’s last meal?” He steams before inhaling a few times then clicking his fingers. “Well, where’s the menu?”

 

“Let me get him down to lock-up and then we can order, okay, Anita?” Willis smiles as he brings out the cuffs from behind his back.

 

“I was kidding, I knew you meant her! You don’t need them!” Michael stammers, his repugnance now replaced by bullshit repentance.

 

“Oh I know, but I would rather you were wearing them. Won’t be long. You gonna stand or am I gonna help you with that?”

 

I thoroughly enjoy watching him be clapped into the cuffs and led out, for what I sincerely hope is the first of many long nights in jail!

 

SPICE ISLAND TEA HOUSE - TEN MINUTES LATER

 

JUSTIN

 

We’re waiting for our drinks with Mom and Dad. They have been visiting Molly for the last few days, as she’s not been very well. They have been kept abreast of the trial, and even though she’s not 100% better, Molly insisted that they came back for the verdict.

 

“How did you find this?” Mom strokes Brian’s hand to bring his focus back to her as he stares into the distance.

 

“Huh? Oh, sorry, Jennifer. We found it when we were looking for guava juice. Justin found it.”

 

“Brian? Son? I know it’s a silly question, but are you alright?” Dad asks.

 

“Yeah. Just hadn’t thought about it in years. It was him…”

 

“About what, and what was him?” Dad signals the waiter. “Can you get me a small brandy, please?”

 

“Of course, Sir.”

 

“Can you make that four?” I take Brian’s hand under the table, it is cold. I put it between my thighs, and that at least raises a small wan smile. “So what have you remembered?”

 

“The break-in. It was Michael.” The brandies arrive just in time so we knock them back quickly. “It was when he said, Arthur, I mean, other baby, it was then that it started. I was pouring all my energy into building it up and he wanted me to go out, saying that I had Ted to do the dogsbody work, like the drudge that he is. Told him that this is not who Ted is and since it is my business it is important to me…”

 

Start of flashback

KINNETIC - ALMOST FOUR YEARS PRIOR

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

“What do you mean that’s not what he’s for?!” Michael explodes, having been haranguing me for the last hour to such an extent that I have a headache!

 

This is on top of dealing with Lindsay, who wants an advance on the support. She almost had a meltdown when I said I wanted to speak to her and Mel about that.

 

“As I said, Kinnetic, my business, is just that, mine. It is more important to me than your need to go out and get wasted because you have a free pass tonight!”

 

“How can you say that after all I…”

 

“Oh, would you stop with the mantra of all I did for you? I get it! You helped, but this I have to do by myself! You can’t, and I don’t want your help! This is for my future and for Gus. I have to provide for him just like you have to provide for Jenny…”

 

“That’s what their mothers are for!” He growls around the beer I really wished I hadn’t pointed out in the fridge.

 

“But I am his dad, and I want to provide for him…”

 

“You are such a dad that you gave up your rights!” He snaps open another beer and takes down half of it.

 

“You know why I did that, and besides, I am going to ask for them back.”

 

“WHAT?!”

 

“You have your rights, why shouldn’t I have mine? And if Kinnetic goes the way it is projected to, I will have more…”

 

“You know what? Screw you! I can’t believe you are thinking about this!”

 

“Not thinking, will be doing. Michael. You have to realise that you are not number one in my life anymore, and I shouldn't be number one in yours. First is Gus, then Kinnetic, and anyone else has to fall into line behind them…”

End of flashback

 

“What happened?” Dad sighs wearily. “By that I mean how soon after you put him in his rightful place did he break in? And what did he do?”

 

“About a week later. And not much, just broke a few things, nothing that couldn’t be easily replaced, though I was very close to calling the cops on his ass, but changed my mind. I did the next best thing: never gave him a key back.”

 

“Would you consider pressing charges now?” Mom asks, and then frowns as Arthur comes towards us looking relatively relaxed. “What’s happened?”

 

“They are not going to reach a verdict today, so you guys might as well go home for the rest of the day.”

 

“Oh, that’s good. Shall we order something then?” She asks.

 

“Not really hungry, but could do with a glass of guava juice.” Brian smiles at me and I grin back, us both remembering the first time we came here, slightly rumpled from a massive make out session. He had a hankering for the juice, and this was the closest place. “What about you, Justin?”

 

“A pot of Ti Kuan Yin, please?” I smile at the waiter and then wink at Brian.

 

“Are you feeling merciful then?” He smirks.

 

“Now, yes, later, not so much.”

 

“Actually, may I sit for a second?” Arthur gestures at the seat and Mom moves her coat. “I really do appreciate it, but that is not necessary…”

 

“It is not up for discussion.” Brian asserts. “Not.”

 

“Care to fill us in?” Dad frowns at the unusually firm tone that Brian just used.

 

“Memphis Abergin is going to ask for a retrial and wants Arthur to represent him.” I explain.

 

“Well that’s good, isn’t it?” Mom looks confused. “Not seeing what the problem is. He needs justice and you’re the man to get it for him, Arthur.”

 

“Thank you for the faith in my skills. I am going to represent him, but I want to do it pro-bono. Brian is insisting on paying me.”

 

It is not often my folks are stunned into silence, and only Brian is capable of doing that.

 

“But...but why?” Dad stammers.

 

“He’s done this pro-bono, he’s not doing the next one. I shall…”

 

“You will not. We will do it!” Mom interrupts, and now we are stunned into silence. “We shall hold a fundraiser. Quick, Craig, pen and paper. Let’s make a list of the great and the good of society! This will be the fundraiser to blow all fundraisers out of the water!” She gabbles excitedly, and I feel Brian stiffen; then watch him swallow hard and close his eyes briefly. I feel my anger rising as he slowly removes his hand, drains his drink then leaves without another word.

 

Arthur looks mortified. “Should I…”

 

“Could you please? I just need to correct a perception or two before I join you.”

 

“Not a problem.” He mutters, and bolts for the door.

 

My so-called parents and champions of us are so busy twittering about how this is going to be the dog’s bollocks to end all dog’s bollocks that they don’t even notice how angry I am. When the waiter arrives with my tea, I take it from him and bang it hard on the table, causing the teapot to topple over.

 

“Justin! Be careful, you almost burnt us!” Mom chastises me.

 

“Well if I did, I am sure I could do a fundraiser to pay for any hospital treatment you may require! Although, I doubt you would’ve felt anything! After that comment, I think I have seen snakes with more warmth!” I spit, and the waiter scurries away to get a cloth.

 

“Justin, for goodness sake, what has gotten into…” Dad bridles before he notices the empty chairs. “...where are Brian and Arthur?”

 

“He’s most probably trying to talk Brian up from the hurt you caused! This is not a thing to brag about! To say look at what we’ve done! Aren’t we great?! Doesn’t this look good in the society fucking pages! This is their lives you are talking about! Their pain! And for you, to...to just want to glory hound and haul your asses onto the chuckwagon is beyond appalling! I have never been more ashamed! You will not be paying for anything, not even the wedding! In fact, don’t think you will even get an invite! I shall get Brian to ask Molly for my hand, then we’re going to elope. And you two social climbing mean-kees can explain to Nonna why!” I grab my coat and start to storm out.

 

“Married?! What do you mean, married?! When in the hell did you get engaged?! And why didn’t he have the decency and proper form to ask our permission first?!” Dad yells, silencing the room.

 

“That's what you took from this?!” I scream, willing myself not to cry. “Don't ever come near us again!”

 

JENNIFER

 

As the door bangs shut, accusing eyes burn into my heart and soul. One woman just shakes her head at me. I start to feel sick to my stomach. I look across at Craig and he has tears in his eyes. “How could we be so…” He whispers.

 

“Utterly degenerate and just like them?” I supply, and he nods. “Look, let me call Del and then Emmett. This is something we have to own and fix right now!”

 

An hour later, we have been chastised and chastened by both Emmett and Del; now we are hoping and praying that our sons forgive us.

 

JUSTIN’S TOWNHOUSE - EARLY EVENING

 

KITCHEN

 

BRIAN

 

I feel better. Arthur stayed long enough to hear the beginning of Justin’s tirade, but his concern was for me. I knew I started to retreat but he slowly and gently talked me back up, reassuring me that they didn’t mean it like that, just got caught in the moment of it all. But more importantly, I knew that deep down it was true, it was just such a shock to see them to go so society.

 

“Hey.” I look up as he pads into the kitchen, having been in his studio just staring at their anniversary seascape. I had feared that he would destroy it, but he promised he wouldn't. “How you feeling?”

 

“Hungry.”

 

“Come here.” I open my arms and he wraps his around my waist. “To be honest, I don't fancy what's in the fridge, want to order in?” He nods then sighs. “Are you serious about them not being invited to the wedding?”

 

“Until they make a suitable apology, then yes.” His eyes burn with determination; when I nod I feel the tension leaving him. “So what shall we order?”

 

“Who's phone is that?”

 

“Not mine.” I look around trying to locate the source of the noise.

 

“Not mine.” Then he sighs and stalks to the front door, yanking it open. “Come back here! You don't get to do that!” He yells into the semi darkness. “Right now, or I swear…” I join him at the door looking perplexed. “You have ten seconds!”

 

“He is just parking!” Jennifer shouts back. “Please, Justin, Brian, please allow us more time to get to you?!”

 

“Your call. They hurt you the most.” Justin prompts.

 

“It is a bitch to park.” I murmur. “Ten minutes and not a second more!” I yell.

 

“Thank you!” I hear her footsteps rushing to the door and her gabbling into her phone.

 

“What is that smell?!” I demand looking around. “It smells like…”

 

“Fabulicious!” He squeals, and hauls the basket inside then almost rips off the buckles in his haste to open it; then he stops, stares, looks at me and bursts into tears.

 

“What?!” I pull his shaking and sobbing form to the sofa and wait for his tears to stop. “Justin, talk to me!”

 

“Itsmywebdknfmhdhner!” He wails, starting to cry again.

 

“Was the word dinner in there somewhere?” I have never felt so helpless!

 

“Yes it was.” Craig replies from the door. “May I come in? Jennifer is just parking. She could fit an RV into a 2 inch gap.”

 

“Can he, I mean they?” I ask Justin, and he nods. Craig sits at the island before rustling in his jacket pocket and giving me a handkerchief. “Thanks.”

 

“They're hypoallergenic. Found them in France. We have that in common, very sensitive eyes.”

 

“They go so red when he cries, it looks like they're…” I trail off.

 

“Always hated to see him cry. And to think we hurt you both with such thoughtlessness. I never thought that we would have anything in common with them. From the bottom of my very soul, I am so sorry, Brian. We both are.”

 

“Sweethearts.” Jennifer sighs as she enters and closes the door behind her. “...I, I mean we have no excuse. We have already been dreamed out by Del and Emmett. He has made good on his promise to tell the Gaggle, so we have to go and see Ceci and Mami next.”

 

“Dreamed? It is you have been reamed out.” Justin sits up wiping his eyes. “Why would anybody dreamed you out?”

 

“Oh, I did think it was a weird thing to say.” She gives a small smile then we all go quiet.

 

“What's in the box?” I gesture to the one she brought in with her.

 

“No idea, it's for Justin. Was delivered to ours.”

 

He frowns for a few seconds then he gets the oh shit look on his face I know all too well.

 

“So what's in the box, Tigger?”

 

“It's, uh, a surprise.” He starts to get up but I tighten my hold. “Brian?”

 

“Is it for me?”

 

“No, it's for me,. and…”

 

“You can hardly surprise yourself, you know, since…” His stomach roaring halts all conversation. “...you need to feed, then explain two things.” I declare as I let him go.

 

“Two?” He dashes to take the box from her, clutching it to his chest and heading slowly to the lounge. “What two?” He calls over his shoulder.

 

“Why the meal made you cry and why I should keep you on the Prestwick account, especially with Murph as the lead?”

 

“Brian! Come on, that's not fair!” He exclaist coming back in. “It is just a…”

 

“Tigger, stop right there if you are going to say cardigan. For it is not just a cardigan, it is an ugly cardigan and Murph said he would never work with you on another campaign if you replaced it.” I pull the box out of his hands and hand it to Craig who is quietly chuckling. I hear the sound of it being opened, then a gasp, I turn around and then back to my Tigger. “Mustard? That thing comes in mustard? No, just no. If needs be, I shall buy the company and ban you from shopping there. Mustard?!”

 

“Craig, hand me those scissors!”

 

“Mom!” Justin tries to squirm out of my grasp, but I hold fast and he looks mournful as she decimates that disgrace to fashion everywhere! “You have not helped yourself there!” He points out tersely.

 

“Tigger. Justin, stop. They have, and you know it. Now the food.”

 

His eyes glitter but he is smiling. “It’s my wedding dinner. I made it for them.”

 

“Shall we plate up, sweetheart, while your Dad explains?” He nods and goes to help her, I breathe easier when he accepts the kiss on his cheek.

 

“So?” I prompt pulling out wine and glasses.

 

“When he was 13, he insisted on making us a meal, the whole family, said it was for him and the person he was going to marry. Not woman, person. He started to tell us he is gay.” Craig looks so proud, and even though he has his back to me, Justin's ears are glowing pink. “And we would be honoured for that person to be you.”

 

My throat starts to close so I take down half my glass of wine. “What is it exactly?”

 

“Pork rillettes, duck confit, and, for pudding, sugar plum fairy cakes. I added the pecan, bourbon and chocolate pie. I know it is a favourite.” Jennifer answers, looking uncertain. “So, will you be our son too?”

 

“Two provisos…” I hold out my hand and Justin steps back into my embrace. “...I get to choose the wedding outfits, and you join us for dinner?”

 

“Deal!” Craig declares, and I hand him back his handkerchief as he sobs with happiness.


Pork rillettes: https://www.thespruceeats.com/classic-french-pork-rillettes-recipe-1375251]

Duck confit: https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/entertain/duck-confit/

Sugarplum fairy cakes: https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/sugar_plum_fairy_cakes_92523

Pecan, bourbon and chocolate pie:

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/bourbon-and-chocolate-pecan-pie.html?utm_source=foodnetwork.com&utm_medium=domestic



 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.