- Text Size +

CHAPTER 82 - DELIVERANCE...

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - EARLY AFTERNOON, TWO DAYS LATER

 

JURY ROOM

 

FOREWOMAN

 

“Are we finally in agreement with respect to all three defendants?” I look at one man in particular. Juror No. 6 has been pushing for not guilty or guilty on all charges, not a combination of both, but he was the only one. And whilst I would have preferred to have a no dissenters ruling, this has dragged on long enough. It is time. “Well, are we?”

 

“I still say that they can’t be found guilty of one but not the other!” He asserts, glowering at me.

 

“Why not?” I ask again. “You have yet to give a plausible reason other than I don’t see why. You not seeing why is not good enough. I say we go to the bailiff and finally tell them that we are ready.”

 

“But…”

 

“I agree.” Juror No. 3 snaps, exasperated. “The rest of us agree. That is the point of a majority verdict. Let’s call the bailiff.”

 

No. 6 sits back in his seat and twists his face before finally nodding his consent.

 

“Good.” I reply and almost break my finger pressing the intercom before he can change his mind.

 

“Are you ready?” Courtney’s voice sounds resigned.

 

“Yes. We’re ready to deliver.”

 

She just about contains her whoop of joy. “Great! I will assemble the court.”

 

I try not to smirk as she cuts the call quickly, but not quick enough for us not to hear her relieved about time for Chrissake!

 

BRIAN AND JUSTIN'S CAR - FIVE MINUTES LATER

 

FREDERICK

 

This is the second day they have been called back; the second day they have waited either inside the courtroom or in the car. I keep my gaze trained on the door, the press have been inside since early this morning, but Brian and Justin didn't want to have them watch them like hawks again.

 

The door opens and with a curt nod from Arthur I sigh in relief. “Shall I wait around the back?”

 

“No.” Brian replies his voice a little strained, so he clears his throat. “No, but can you wait outside for a second?”

 

“Of course.”

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian is just staring ahead, his brow furrowed and looking more than a little exhausted. When they first asked for more time in the morning, we had no idea it would go into a second day, nor how strained we are. Although we have been together, we're not with each other. Time for that to stop.

 

“Brian, please look at me.” I hold my breath and hope I don't have to repeat myself.

 

“Hey, Tigger.” He whispers before turning to me. “Are you ready for this?”

 

“Yes, Bear, and no matter what the verdict, we know their guilt and so do they.”

 

“For once he was right. I fell in love the second I saw your beautiful blue eyes. I can't wait for this to be over.”

 

“So head high, balls out and get shit done?” I reach for the door handle and he sighs. “Bear, you have gotten this far, just a few more steps.”

 

“Head high, balls out and get shit done. No apologies and no regrets.”

 

“There's my Bear.”

 

COURTROOM ONE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

NORACE

 

LONGEST FORTY EIGHT FUCKING HOURS EVER! You can almost see the sparks of anticipation fly around the court...and, I suspect, in the cell of Memphis Abergin.

 

I cast another look over the jury and then my case notes twice. This is so unprecedented that I have asked for a review prior to sentencing. I have to do something should they be found guilty...which Courtney suspects they won't be...and, of course, there is the appeals process if they are and the retrial if they are not.

 

“Madam Foreman, have you reached a verdict on all three defendants?”

 

“Yes, Your Honour.”

 

“This the the verdict of you all, no dissenters?”

 

“No, this is a majority verdict, one dissenter.”

 

The courtroom rumbles and I look across at Mr Kinney first. He is conferring with Arthur and holding tightly to the hand of Mr Taylor, who although wincing, is not letting him let go until Arthur indicates that he really should! I smile on the inside as Mr Kinney looks rueful and massages Mr Taylor’s hand, and then smile wider at the annoyed look on the face of the chief protagonist in this sorry tale.

 

Now at first, like everyone else, I thought it was her, but as more and more things came to light, including his streak of malice, the more it became obvious, especially with Chris Emaitch, it was all him. It was the child feeding the mother.

 

“We will start with the verdict of Joan Kinney. How do you find her, guilty or not guilty?”

 

“Guilty of all charges.” She replies.

 

“Well of course she is! She did nothing to stop her sadist of a husband!”

 

“The defendant will stand!” I bark out, making him jump.

 

“I am so…”

 

“Silence! You were told not to interrupt and you did, considering your previous disrespectfulness towards this court, I charge you with contempt, sentence to be determined! Sit down and remain silent!”

 

I turn back to the Forewoman. “I will sentence them all after the final verdict is read. Defendant Deborah Jane Grassi will stand.”

 

Although pale and somewhat sweaty, she stands steadily and her eyes trained on the jury, which surprises me as I thought she would look at Mr Kinney.

 

“How do you find the defendant?”

 

“Not guilty of child neglect or abuse, but guilty of all other charges.”

 

“Thank you, the defendant will sit down.”

 

She sits and gives Mr Kinney a brief smile before turning to talk to Phyllis, who nods and makes a note.

 

Now the chief abuser of the pair swallows hard.

 

“Defendant Michael Charles Grassi, also known as Michael Charles Devore will stand.”

 

“How do you find the defendant?”

 

“Guilty of all charges.”

 

“Thank you, the defendant will sit down.” He does so slowly, and so pale has he gone, you can almost see the corpuscles flowing in his veins!

 

The look on Mr Kinney's face is one of disbelief but also relief. He rests his head on Mr Taylor’s shoulder, who strokes his hair and whispers in his ear.

 

The press just watches, having been told that there was to be no photos during the verdict. Some take notes and others just nod and smile.

 

“Thank you, Madam Forewoman, and members of the jury. Before you are dismissed, do you wish to explain the not guilty charges in respect to Deborah Jane Grassi and guilty of all charges for Michael Charles Grassi, AKA Michael Charles Devore, verbally or in writing?”

 

“Verbally Your Honour.”

 

“Proceed.”

 

She clears her throat and turns to face the court. “The reasons for the not guilty verdict are twofold: we took their arguments that it was Jack Kinney’s choice how he used that information on board, her not guilty verdict was reached because she at least tried to repair the damage she caused and has admitted and somewhat apologised for her behaviour. The fact that she wants the restraining orders reinstated also shows her intention to leave Mr Kinney alone.”

 

I nod in agreement and risk at look at her fellow defendant. He has not actually moved since I ordered him to sit down. “And your reasoning for the guilty of all charges in respect of Michael Charles Grassi, AKA Michael Charles Devore?”

 

“He did nothing to stop it. In fact, he restarted it after his trip to Florida. He saw that Mr Kinney was happier, and that could not be countenanced, and by his own words he has no apology and no regrets. That sealed his guilt.”

 

I am about to speak when I hear a small sniff, and at first I think it is Mr Kinney or Mr Taylor, but it is not...it is Arthur. Courtney starts to approach him, but he shakes his head. “Are you able to continue, Counsel?” I query.

 

“Yes. Sorry, Your Honour, Members of the court.” Arthur stands to give his apologies then sits shakily down.

 

“No need. Understandable.” I turn back to face the jury and give them a brief smile. “Thank you for your service, you are dismissed.” The forewoman nods and they file out quietly, and, if possible, the courtroom gets quieter. “Now, ladies and gentleman of the court, I will, in light of the unprecedented nature of this case, be asking for a sentence review before sentencing of the defendants Deborah Jane Grassi and Michael Charles Grassi, AKA Michael Charles Devore.” Anita and Phyllis both nod, whilst Arthur just stares ahead. “I shall pass sentence on Joan Kinney in absentia. Should she recover from her illness, she will be sentenced to 5 years in prison.”

 

Again I watch Arthur; he breathes out then gives me a quick smile of reassurance.

 

“The defendant Deborah Jane Grassi is ordered to stand.” There is murmuring before people settle. “As I said, the review will take place, and it will take at least two weeks in the Supreme Court. During this time, you will be in the care and custody of your current counsel. She has requested, and I have accepted, that you remain in your residence and under the current restrictions to your freedom. Do you understand?”

 

“Yes, Your Honour, thank you. May I make a statement?”

 

“No. That comes after the victim statement.”

 

“I understand.”

 

“Please sit down.” I clear my throat and the Schadenfreude side of me is looking forward to this so very much. “The defendant Michael Charles Grassi, AKA...actually we know who and...” Out of the corner of my eye, I catch Courtney’s glare. “...I mean your identity has been established, we will use the one name from this point on.” I try not to laugh at Anita’s ducked head and shaking shoulders. “...the defendant will stand.”

 

It takes him a good few long seconds to stand although he still has some arrogance.

 

“Like your fellow defendant, the review of your sentence will take two weeks by the Supreme  Court…” He nods and I can see him starting to gloat. “...but unlike your fellow defendant, you will be sentenced for contempt immediately. After your time served, then you will be incarcerated in SCI Huntingdon in the care of your newly appointed court attorney, an Edward Furksome. I will now pass sentence....”

 

“Sentence?” Is gasped, and I am about to berate him then realise that it came from Mr Kinney.

 

“Yes, Mr Kinney, I had inferred that he would be sentenced for contempt and this will now happen. Do you wish to leave the court?”

 

BRIAN

 

Do I wish to leave the court? My head is reeling, my heart is racing, but I know I must see this through. I feel two hands comforting me: Tigger holding mine and Ben’s on my shoulder. Dad could not be in court for this, but I understood. After closing my eyes briefly, I look across at who I thought loved me and shake my head.

 

“No, Your Honour, I want to stay. I will see it through with my head held high and no apologies or regrets for doing this.” It is on these last words that I look at my former family; my gaze unwavering.

 

“Thank you. Before I come to his sentence for contempt, there is the matter of remuneration owed to Mr Kinney for the distress their actions caused. I, Judge Norace Balsam, hereby order that 50% of all assets belonging to Deborah Jane Grassi and 80% of all assets belonging to Michael Charles Grassi, which have been frozen, or are still in their possession, be forfeited to Brian Aiden Kinney within 5 working days of this order. I now come to the sentencing. I, Judge Norace Balsam, find Michael Charles Grassii guilty of contempt of the court of Alleghany in the State of Pennsylvania. I hereby sentence him to two weeks in prison to be served immediately. Remove him from the court to begin his term.”

 

“Wait…” I begin, then sigh, for I know it will give him, especially, hope. “...the money, I don’t need…”

 

“Whether you need it or not, Mr Kinney, it is your due and it is so ordered.” Judge Balsam returns with very little heat. “Spend it how you wish.”

 

I turn to Arthur. “Abergin.” He nods and smiles.

 


Chapter End Notes:

Please reviewly kindly and constructively. Thanks.